The Daily Beast - Hubbard's Explorer's club entries

CoolHand

Patron with Honors
An interesting read: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...w-texts-from-scientology-s-l-ron-hubbard.html

Hubbard’s relationship with the club never died and rarely wavered from a tone of Labrador-like pride and excitement. Hubbard had been living in a trailer before Dianetics became a bestseller in 1950, and one of the first things he did with his newfound wealth was request one of the club’s gold identification bracelets. “The very fancy one you have,” he wrote, with swaggering disregard for the cost. “You can either tell me how much it costs or send it COD.” By 1960, the height of Scientology’s early years, Hubbard sent a frisky update about his new English mansion and pending world lecture tour. “Poor old Magellan,” he wrote. “No hostesses. No cool free drinks. No triple position easy chairs.” “I sort of won the Maharajah of Jaipur[’]s luxury Sussex estate in a poker game, and am lost these days among the acres of fishing lakes and bedrooms (we’ve never counted them)… I’m hooked up with my offices on each continent with teletypewriters and pretty girls.”

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Hey Scientology, how's 2013 working out for you so far?
anushorribilis.jpg

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious

The shocking part of this article are things like the following, where for whatever reason, Hubbard felt compelled to tell the TRUTH to the Explorers Club, which went into their log of member activities, while lying to his followers, the press and everyone else:
-----------
In 1940 Hubbard carried the club flag on his first official expedition, sailing a vest-pocket yacht from Washington to Alaska. He was supposed to be rewriting the relevant coastal-navigation books. But upon his return, around the Long Table, he waved all that away as “lots of Scotch, no Scotch, lots of chow, no chow, bad weather, and bad weather.”

Finally, in 1947, two years after his supposed miracle self-cure, Hubbard returned a club questionnaire. Under “distinctions achieved,” he notes “21 wartime medals including palms, none extraordinary, or worth listing.” He concludes, “unable to pass physical for higher rank than Lt USNR during war. Less said about 1941—1946 the better.” The church’s explanation: he was a secret agent.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Tony Ortega wrote about this story on his blog using a great headline......

Newsweek Confirms It: L. Ron Hubbard Was a Blowhard

In a delicious new story by Tony Dokoupil at Newsweek/The Daily Beast, a trove of new L. Ron Hubbard documents was found where no one thought to look before — at The Explorers Club here in New York City.As Dokoupil points out, “the club was more than Hubbard’s watering hole. It was his permanent home, and — in a messy life of multiple homes, marriages, and children — his most stable family.” And to this day the club has a file of letters, journals, and some artifacts that record Hubbard’s association with it.
Dokoupil digs into the dispatches that Hubbard faithfully sent to the club, and checks them against the facts presented in Lawrence Wright’s new book, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, & the Prison of Belief (which mirrors the work done by numerous previous authors) and against the version of Hubbard’s life that the Church of Scientology puts out.
Once again, it’s no contest: the church’s story just doesn’t stack up against the biographies written by journalists. L. Ron Hubbard is, it turns out, a blowhard of epic proportions.
Some highlights of Dokoupil’s fun romp through Hubbard’s life…

<snip>
Read Full Post: http://tonyortega.org/2013/01/25/newsweek-confirms-it-l-ron-hubbard-was-a-blowhard/#more-3221

:wow: "Hubbard had been living in a trailer before Dianetics became a bestseller in 1950, and one of the first things he did with his newfound wealth was request one of the club’s gold identification bracelets. “The very fancy one you have,” he wrote, with swaggering disregard for the cost. “You can either tell me how much it costs or send it COD.” By 1960, the height of Scientology’s early years, Hubbard sent a frisky update about his new English mansion and pending world lecture tour. “Poor old Magellan,” he wrote. “No hostesses. No cool free drinks. No triple position easy chairs.” “I sort of won the Maharajah of Jaipur[’]s luxury Sussex estate in a poker game, and am lost these days among the acres of fishing lakes and bedrooms (we’ve never counted them)… I’m hooked up with my offices on each continent with teletypewriters and pretty girls.”

Some "religious" leader! :no:

Read the entire excellent article, with great pictures!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...w-texts-from-scientology-s-l-ron-hubbard.html

Look at this one of Ron posing proudly with Buddha on his shoulder!!! This sums up his entire character, to me (no respect for anyone or anything other than himself)! :no: :omg:

1359099580074.jpg

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
That picture!

Did he really have a gross, fat right arm and a spindly, palsied left? I know he had a very bad masturbatory history, but that's ridiculous.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Wright's book is opening a floodgate just as I thought it would. Journalists not only read Wright's book and are intrigued by it, they are pissed off by the cult's response. :omg:

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
The Daily Beast said:
The gap between Hubbard’s life and the legend maintained by the church is most fiercely contested in his war years, according to Wright. The first person saved by Dianetics was supposedly Hubbard himself, a combat hero who led warships on two oceans before ending up alone, blind, and crippled in a military hospital in Oakland. Hubbard later claimed to have removed the mental blocks that kept him sick and in doing so developed the techniques that became Scientology. If this story isn’t true, the church’s chief spokesperson told Wright, “Dianetics is based on a lie; therefore, Scientology is based on a lie.”

Dokoupil, Tony (2013, 28 January) Exclusive New Texts from Scientology’s L. Ron Hubbard. The Daily Beast. Retrieved 25 January from http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/01/28/exclusive-new-texts-from-scientology-s-l-ron-hubbard.html

Hubbard wrote a letter to Robert Heinlein on 8 March 1949 saying that he had "trained up Sara into the [Dianetics] routine," but that he had never "used the work" on himself because he "couldn't--Case of Physician, etc." In the same paragraph he wrote that he was "agonizing around losing some of the bitter years," and that his "hip and stomach and side are well again--which pleases me and makes a fool out of Polly." [Heinlein archives CORR306-02:15-21]

Note the double curve: black PR his ex-wife Polly to Heinlein at the same instant he's claiming to be cured or having cured himself (without Dianetics). This attack on Polly is probably what Hubbard brought forward to "My Philosophy" in 1965 when he claimed:

Hubbard said:
Blinded with injured optic nerves, and lame with physical injuries to hip and back, at the end of World War II, I faced an almost nonexistent future. My Service record stated: “This officer has no neurotic or psychotic tendencies of any kind whatsoever,” but it also stated “permanently disabled physically.”

And so there came a further blow . . . I was abandoned by family and friends as a supposedly hopeless cripple and a probable burden upon them for the rest of my days. I yet worked my way back to fitness and strength in less than two years, using only what I knew and could determine about Man and his relationship to the universe. I had no one to help me; what I had to know I had to find out. And it’s quite a trick studying when you cannot see.

I became used to being told it was all impossible, that there was no way, no hope. Yet I came to see again and walk again, and I built an entirely new life. It is a happy life, a busy one and I hope a useful one. My only moments of sadness are those which come when bigoted men tell others all is bad and there is no route anywhere, no hope anywhere, nothing but sadness and sameness and desolation, and that every effort to help others is false. I know it is not true.

Hubbard, L. (ca 1965) My Philosophy. The Technical Bulletins of Dianetics and Scientology. (1976 ed., Vol. VI, pp.1-3) Los Angeles: Church of Scientology of California Publications Organization

Note too that by 1965 he had even not-ised Sara out of the picture: "no one to help me." :bigcry:

We don't know if Wright set Tommy Davis straight about the lie upon which Dianetics and Scientology are based. However, Wright did quote from Hubbard's 8 March 1949 letter to Heinlein:

Lawrence Wright said:
It's unclear whether Hubbard himself was receiving treatment in Savannah. "My hip and stomach and side are well again," he writes to Heinlein, adding that he is "straightening out the kinks that have held down production on the money machine."

In his letters, Hubbard continually speculates about the book he hopes to finish soon. "It ain't agin religion," he boasts to Heinlein. "It just abolishes it....It's science, boy, science." He makes a vague reference to the research he's performing on children. "This hellbroth I cooked up works remarkably well on kids," he remarks. "Took a scared little kid that was supposed to be stupid and was failing everything and worked on him about thirty-five hours just to make sure. That was last month. So now he turns this afternoon with A's and all of a sudden reading Shakespeare." He was also noting improvement in himself, both in his work and in his recovered sexual powers.

Wright, Lawrence. (2013). Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.

Hubbard's hellbroth: working remarkably well on kids since 1949. Wow! Note the "thirty-five hours" on the stupid kid. Op pro by dope.

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
The shocking part of this article are things like the following, where for whatever reason, Hubbard felt compelled to tell the TRUTH to the Explorers Club, which went into their log of member activities, while lying to his followers, the press and everyone else:
-----------
In 1940 Hubbard carried the club flag on his first official expedition, sailing a vest-pocket yacht from Washington to Alaska. He was supposed to be rewriting the relevant coastal-navigation books. But upon his return, around the Long Table, he waved all that away as “lots of Scotch, no Scotch, lots of chow, no chow, bad weather, and bad weather.”

Finally, in 1947, two years after his supposed miracle self-cure, Hubbard returned a club questionnaire. Under “distinctions achieved,” he notes “21 wartime medals including palms, none extraordinary, or worth listing.” He concludes, “unable to pass physical for higher rank than Lt USNR during war. Less said about 1941—1946 the better.” The church’s explanation: he was a secret agent.

But he didn’t tell the truth to the Explorers Club. He lied, or he hid the truth. Examples: “C.E., 21 wartime medals.”

1359098374067.jpg

By 1960 he told Scientologists, and wog raw meat, that he had a “B.S. in Civil Engineering, George Washington U.” Ref. http://www.carolineletkeman.org/archives/2305

At least by 1974 he was telling Scientologists, and again the wogs they would then PR, that he had been awarded 27 medals, and even 29 medals. Refs. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/warhero/medals.htm; http://www.theta.com/goodman/lrh.htm. Hubbard could get a Guinness record for the world's fastest expanding fake medal total.

Hubbard's lies to his fellow Explorers Clubbers suggests a good listing question:

Who or what did L. Ron Hubbard not lie to? (LF)

Polly [x]
Sara [tick]
Mary Sue [x]
His auditors [x]
Scientologists [x]
Wogs [x]
Himself [x]
No-one [LFBD F/N]

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
one of my favorites....

None of this is in the Explorers Club reports, which Hubbard reliably filed during his years flying the club’s flags at sea. There’s one significant slowdown to his research, he noted in 1968: “the sociable atmosphere.” He even had to change the name of his boats, so “warm” was his international welcome. Only one club member seemed to see it all coming. In 1966 he wrote two words on Hubbard’s flag application: “grave reservations.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...w-texts-from-scientology-s-l-ron-hubbard.html

Purple Rain

Crusader
I think journalists in America are rediscovering journalism when it comes to Scientology. Maybe some of them are also getting pissed off with the way Scientology is going after Larry.