the-decline-and-probable-fall-of-the-scientology-empire June 26, 2013 e-Skeptic

revicamc

Patron
(EDIT: This is merely a rehashing of stuff already found here.
Sorry about that. I am going to otherwise leave my
original post intact. /END-OF-EDIT)

FWIW There is an article on the e-Skeptic Website

(Emma: Free free to move this if placing it another forum would be more appropriate.)

My apologies if this has been posted before.

The article begins:

The Decline and (Probable) Fall
of the Scientology Empire!

• by Jim Lippard

Jim Lippard reviews two books: Janet Reitman’s book Inside Scientology: The Story of America’s Most Secretive Religion (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2011, ISBN 978-0618883028) and Hugh Urban’s The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion (Princeton University Press, 2011, ISBN 978-0691146089). This article was published in Skeptic magazine 17.1 in 2011.

THERE WAS ONCE A MAN who considered himself an explorer, a military hero, a mystic, a philosopher, a nuclear physicist, and an expert in human nature. In fact, he was none of these things. He was an adventurer, a writer of pulp fiction, and a teller of tall tales. He was a college dropout, a bigamist, convicted of petty theft and fraud, and named as an unindicted co-conspirator in a plot to infiltrate and steal information from U.S. government agencies. Despite his unimpressive physique, he was a larger than- life, charismatic figure who persuaded thousands of people to believe in and pay large sums of money to learn more about a view of the world he constructed from a foundation of pseudoscience, bad philosophy, science fiction, and space opera. He came to believe his own claims of developing the power to shape the world to his tastes and improve one’s physical and especially mental states through specific techniques he invented that precluded all psychiatric drugs, and yet he died alone with matted hair and rotting teeth, with the anti-anxiety drug Vistaril in his system.

<SNIP>

Website: http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/the-decline-and-probable-fall-of-the-scientology-empire/

Last edited: