What's new

The E-meter Scam

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
I remember a lecture where he talked about this. I had made the same assumption as you. In the lecture he said this process occurred over a time period of *weeks.* He didn't mention any other possible reasons for the weight to go up and down!

Check out this weight loss program. :biggrin:

L. Ron Hubbard Understanding the E-Meter said:
und-emeter-050.jpg

und-emeter-051.jpg

Gerry Armstrong said:
That’s the 2006 Challenge. Think really heavy thoughts. See what kind of weight you can think up. I believe that Hubbard first made the thirty pounds of thought claim in 1956, so this is a fine fiftieth anniversary review of his test tech.

Hubbard also says that as well as adding thirty pounds to a person’s body weight by creating mental energy while it stands on scales, a person can subtract thirty pounds from his or her body by casting away heavy mental image pictures. This would be the way to go for fat people. Rather than mocking up the poundage, mock it off. [...]

Retrieved from http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/writings/2006-challenge.html

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Hubbard released his 30 pound gimmick in this 1954 lecture.

Hubbard said:
If you have an engram, actually the engram has mass. This is demonstrable. It is demonstrable that an engram, as talked about in Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health, has mass. It does have mass. You can ask an individual to mock up with quote – “mental energy” what everybody was used to – they used to be very fond, you know, of saying this mental energy was entirely different, you know, than this. And we used to take cognizance of this and agree with it once in a while just to get a point across. But this mental energy will register on meters, as demonstrated on an E-Meter. There isn't any necromancy or spiritualism going on with an E-Meter. If you put a guy on an E-Meter and you call an engram into view that E-Meter reacts. Well, what do you suppose makes it react? Somebody's telepathic control? No, it's all that E-Meter can do. Its total limit of action is the measurement of energy. That's its total limit of action. And if you can ask a guy something and it registers on an E-Meter, obviously you're dealing with energy. You're dealing with energy that can be measured by the same stuff as runs through this electric light. So there's no reason to make a separation point between mental energy and physical energy.

All right.

Worse than this, there's a better test – better test than this. You ask an individual to mock up and pull in and mock up and pull in these mental image pictures, any facsimiles or anything of the sort. Just mock up something, pull it in, mock it up and pull it in, mock it up and pull it in. Mock up heavy planets, mock up dense things and pull them in. You shoot a person's weight up – if he's working pretty well, and you do this very insistently, and you insist on density and mass – you can put a person on a set of very accurate Toledo scales, have him do this process for a few hours, put him back on the scales and find out his weight has gone up about thirty pounds.

Now you can have him turn around and throw this stuff away – if he's in pretty good shape – and you have him throw it away and throw it away and throw it away, and his weight will come down to what it was before. And if you have him keep on throwing masses away that he already had he may get sick but he'll certainly weigh less. Now, what kind of mental energy is this that can weigh on a pair of Toledo scales? Mass, the ideas of mass are mass.

All right.

That's a cute little mechanism isn't it? That's in the process Remedy of Havingness. You can remedy somebody's havingness and increase his weight.

Actually, individuals have a tendency to pick up a weight one way or the other at which they're comfortable. The body likes to have spare energy to run on, likes to do various things, and a guy will get an energy level he's comfortable in. You ask somebody who has picked up a little weight where he is right that moment – you ask him, “Now, do you remember a time when you were very thin?”

And possibly he may. And he says, “Yes, I remember a time when I was very thin.”

“How did you feel?” “Come to think about it I was sick and – I was kind of sickly you know.

I was tired all the time. Yeah, yeah! I was tired.”

You can ask yourself that. That's usually a response when one was very slender and thin, and they have now put on a little weight and you say, “Well, do you feel tired all the time now?” And the person says, “No.”

Now, you're going to cut this person's weight down. Not unless – not unless you remedy a few other things, believe me. Person feels better with a little bit of weight. Another thing, mass counts for something in this society. All that seems to mean anything to the current society is mass. If you get into a fight always pick a very slender person with not much weight because they can't put any beef behind the blow. Always do that. And not necessarily shorter. Preferably pick some very tall, very, very thin fellow and he'll be real tired.

These people are voracious eaters but they never put on any weight through eating. I seriously doubt that anybody ever puts on any weight through eating. I think they put on weight through making a facsimile of the food which they are stuffing in their mouths and digesting the facsimile. And if they're unwilling to make a facsimile of the food, they can't eat. They can get no good out of food at all. This is also demonstrable in processing.

All right.

Hubbard, L. R. (1954, 6 December). Introduction to 9th ACC, Havingness. Ninth Advanced Clinical Course, (5412C06). Phoenix, Arizona.

All right.

:whistling:

120 Degrees

Patron with Honors
Re: the title of this post "The E-meter scam"

Scam #1: The e-meter is bunk LRH "science".
Scam #2: One is not sufficient. You must own two.
Scam #3: They cost SIGNIFICANTLY less to produce than to buy.
Scam #4: You need to turn in your old e-meters for the new models.
Scam #5: You must send them in to be certified every two years.
Scam #6: Repeat above scams for every model of "new and improved" e-meters.

Prepare to be astounded by the newest most revolutionary version of the e-meter, the Super Amazing One Handed Mark VIII Quantum Entanglement E-meter! Only $20,599,99*!

stock-photo-a-hand-giving-a-tin-can-phone-through-a-laptop-4574662.jpg

*comes complete with internet enthata blocker!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Check out this weight loss program. :biggrin:

Thanks for posting the LRH verbatim quotes on the "science" of how in 2 short hours a person can "mock up" enough mental mass (pictures, facsimiles, charge, ridges, matter...) to increase his body weight by 30 pounds!

Although Hubbard did not reach critical "mass" in his lying until the later 1960s (Xenu & the BTs) he was sure getting warmed up in the 1950s with some outrageous Whoppers! The "30 POUND HOAX" is certainly one of the "Top Ten Big Lies Hubbard Told in the 1950's" and therefore now is awarded a special place of honor on the Stupid Thread, hereby cross-posted.

By the way, there is another marvelously insidious little gem of deception in that same ACC lecture you quoted:

Quoted from ACC Lecture by Hubbard
"......if he's working pretty well, and you do this very insistently, and you insist on density and mass – you can put a person on a set of very accurate Toledo scales, have him do this process for a few hours, put him back on the scales and find out his weight has gone up about thirty pounds.

Now you can have him turn around and throw this stuff away – if he's in pretty good shape – and you have him throw it away and throw it away and throw it away, and his weight will come down to what it was before. And if you have him keep on throwing masses away that he already had he may get sick but he'll certainly weigh less. Now, what kind of mental energy is this that can weigh on a pair of Toledo scales? Mass, the ideas of mass are mass. All right."

"If he's working pretty well...."

"If he's in pretty good shape..."​

While Hubbard is jab, jab, jabbing you in the face with disorienting left-handed lies about mental mass weighing 30 pounds on a scale, without fanfare or notice he suddenly unloads a right-handed knockout punch that renders the listener comatose with an engramic phrase about how any being who is "pretty" well/good shape can quite easily perform these miracles.

There is Hubbard's secret sauce for his indoctrination recipe revealed--thundering down degradation upon his loyal flock while blithely commenting that only "able" people or those in good (mental/spiritual) shape can evidence these mythological powers.

Who amongst his listeners wanted to be excluded from "The Chosen People" who would successfully make the journey to the promised land? Who would want to think that they are amongst the lowly caste of "untouchables" condemned by Divine forces to an eternity of suffering and shame? And how easy it is in that millisecond of indecision to, instead, hopefully assume that one must surely be one of the blessed elite that will "make it".

Did anyone dare ask the Divinity standing at the lectern if he wouldn't mind doing a demonstration of the 30 POUND MIRACLE over the next few days of the ACC?

One can only estimate the level of intimidation that Hubbard must have necessarily maintained in others to stop them dead-cold in their tracks when contemplating the asking of that obvious question.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Here's from the Tech Dictionary again and I'm using definitions two, four and ten: <snip>

Fair enough. That is what it says.

When I was a sup, I came across many students who couldn't understand how a static with no mass etc. could get into so much MESTy trouble. I used to deal with that confusion by making a difference between the terms static and thetan. Hubbard was not consistent in his terminology. The static has no mass etc, but the thetan . . .

From memory, the first reference I would use was the basic auditing series HCOB, The Magic of the Communication Cycle, where as he goes downscale the thetan starts considering himself as MEST and thereby begins to obey the laws of MEST. I would also use Hubbard's story in the Phoenix Lectures of Dr. MacDougall weighing patients at death and discovering thetans weighed an ounce or two. Usually that was enough Hubbard-lore to satisfy the student.

There are other references, like the History of Man (book) section where the thetan/body relationship is like the sliver in a thumb, with the sliver being the human body and the thetan the thumb, i.e. not only is it located in space and time but it extends outside the body.

There are several Hubbard quotes in this 2008 post of mine at http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...d-body-thetans&p=109283&viewfull=1#post109283, including a description of a body sitting in a block of electronic gelatin with marbles scattered throughout it (anchor points), which also matches his general description of a thetan.

-----

As for reality, as opposed to the Hubbaverse, my thoughts about it are:

1. The counterpart to Hubbard's static is the spirit essence of a person. If living on Earth then it is split with roughly half engaged with a body and half remaining in the spirit world (see Dr. Michael Newton's works for details).

2. The counterpart to the thetan is all the subtle energy parts of a person, including the spirit part down here. The most "visible" [see * below] part would be the aura bodies.

3. As for anchor points, maybe Hubbard mis-perceived something there and constructed this invented anchor-point edifice that others dutifully "saw."

4. My PaulsRobot3 RAW4 module is all about investigating one's subtle energy parts and bodies. There are lots of diagrams and explanations there (not mine!). One info page about aura bodies is at http://paulsrobot3.com/woowoo/raw4/info-aura.htm. Below is a diagram of the human aura. Note the similarity between the aura and Hubbard's thumb/sliver or gelatin soup.

aura_4.jpg

* Here is a drill to see the coarsest part of the human aura:

The following is quoted from "Hands of Light" by Barbara
Ann Brennan, one of my favourite books.

"With the light dim in the room, hold your hands so that
the tips of the fingers point towards each other. Hold
your hands in front of your face at a distance of about two
feet. Make sure there is a plain white wall for a
background. Relax your eyes and softly gaze at the space
between your fingertips, which should be about one and a
half inches apart. Do not look into bright light. Let
your eyes relax. What do you see? Move your fingertips
closer and then further apart. What is happening in the
space between the fingers. What do you see around the
hand? Slowly move one hand up and the other down so that
different fingers are pointing to each other. What has
happened now? About 95% of the people who try this
exercise do see something. Everyone feels something." [I am
quoting directly. My personal opinion on that "Everyone"
is that if someone is determined to feel nothing while
doing this exercise then that will be the result.]

"...Most people see a haze around the fingers and hands
when trying to sense the aura. It looks somewhat like the
heat wave over a radiator. It is sometimes seen in various
colors, such as a blue tint. Usually, most people see it
as colorless in the beginning...."

Paul

Last edited:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Scientology = Cargo Cult Science.

Hubbard didn't have a clue about any branch of Science, but he was a pretty good salesman.

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
While Hubbard is jab, jab, jabbing you in the face with disorienting left-handed lies about mental mass weighing 30 pounds on a scale, without fanfare or notice he suddenly unloads a right-handed knockout punch that renders the listener comatose with an engramic phrase about how any being who is "pretty" well/good shape can quite easily perform these miracles.

There is Hubbard's secret sauce for his indoctrination recipe revealed--thundering down degradation upon his loyal flock while blithely commenting that only "able" people or those in good (mental/spiritual) shape can evidence these mythological powers.

Who amongst his listeners wanted to be excluded from "The Chosen People" who would successfully make the journey to the promised land? Who would want to think that they are amongst the lowly caste of "untouchables" condemned by Divine forces to an eternity of suffering and shame? And how easy it is in that millisecond of indecision to, instead, hopefully assume that one must surely be one of the blessed elite that will "make it".

Did anyone dare ask the Divinity standing at the lectern if he wouldn't mind doing a demonstration of the 30 POUND MIRACLE over the next few days of the ACC?

One can only estimate the level of intimidation that Hubbard must have necessarily maintained in others to stop them dead-cold in their tracks when contemplating the asking of that obvious question.

The same old story. Namely, The Emperor's New Clothes.

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Homage to the Lone Cowpoke:

[video=vimeo;51150471]http://vimeo.com/51150471[/video]

[video]http://player.vimeo.com/video/51150471[/video]

Gadfly

Crusader
Homage to the Lone Cowpoke:

[video=vimeo;51150471]http://vimeo.com/51150471[/video]

[video]http://player.vimeo.com/video/51150471[/video]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just LOVE that collage that you put together. The music is so appropriate for the images!

:thankyou: