What's new

The Great PAC RPF Reprieve of 1982 - My Story

G

Gottabrain

I met Kerry Gleeson, ED INT, when I was 21 and pregnant, though not overly so. He came into AOLA aorund May of 1982 and the staff were scared to death of him.

He was blonde, well-built, kind of short, with a heap of energy like the guys on steroids have. He walked with energy, everything he did was with energy. He smiled heaps, barked out questions and sometimes orders and walked around the org with the execs, checking everything out and talking to individual staff. I thought he was very interesting and motivating, not scary. I thought it was very cool he was so personally interested in AOLA.

So he walks into my little Recruiter office with the HAS and Supercargo. They look nervous (am I going to throw up on my desk at him (I threw up once when I had morning sickness & the HAS was lecturing me)? Say the wrong thing? Lol!)

Kerry asks me how the recruitment is going. My graph is flat. We had liberty (day off) every other week. So up liberty weeks to 2, down to 1 on the hygiene only week (we used to be off at 3 pm on hygiene days, that changed to 5 later, then 7, then 8). Flat. You don't normally get in trouble for flat graphs in the SO, they investigate above you instead.

I tell him, it's okay, not going great. Bit of a struggle but we're getting new ones in every week.

He asks me more specific questions - Where do I get recruits? Is the org doing Divisional recruiting? I answered those well enough. My seniors begin to exhale.

Then he asks me what problems I've run into?

"Sir," I said, "I don't think a lot of the veteran Scientologists take me seriously because of my age." My seniors look like they are going to faint.

Kerry Gleason contemplates this. He smiles. He liked that answer and the wheels are turning. "Well, we'll see what we can do about that," he says, and smiles broadly. He LIKES me!!!!

I didn't know what to expect, but I was happy and excited.

The next day, new postings are announced at muster, signed by ED INT. I was now the Dir I&R AOLA. And it gets better!

Kerry asks me if I'm happy about the new posting. "Yes Sir!!" Then he asks me if I need anything. "Sir," I said, "The Ethics Dept only has one MAA. We can really use a separate one for staff so I can be freed to do I&R duties."

Kerry Gleeson consults with others, authorises a reprieve for Peeter Alvet off the PAC RPF to be my Staff MAA. The C/O and HAS are dazzled. So am I! ED Int has me personally deliver the reprieve to the RPF and pick up Peeter Alvet.
It didn't matter Peeter was FSO staff, he was ours now. ED INT said so!

By the time I come back with Peeter, there is another reprieve, and another, and another and another and another... all to AOLA, even though we had no one on the RPF. The PAC RPF are incredibly happy to see me. I am incredibly happy to be the one to relay such awesome news! This is great fun!

ASHO caught on quickly and sent someone to Kerry to start reprieving their staff and other RPFers as well. Finally, on one of my last trips, I asked who was left. The only ones left were close to finishing and/or really didn't want to leave. Nobody left to reprieve from the PAC RPF.

CMO, WDC, Estates, FSO, FB... everyone outside of ASHO and AOLA was in an uproar. Kerry Gleason did this entirely on his own. He didn't consult with anyone.

Eventually, in the next 9 months or so, FSO got Peeter and some of their other staff back, but I think we still kept a few.

Personally, I liked Kerry Gleeson very much as ED INT. He was good to me and didn't seem to believe in red tape or excessive staff punishment. He helped the service orgs instead of punishing them and took an honest personal interest in their success. Dir I&R AOLA was one of my favourite posts I ever held. The staff were very happy with me and the Dept, I never RPFed anyone, so I guess I did alright by them, too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Kerry from ASHO circa 1969. He was just a young puppy. Very eager to please. He was a gopher , as in "go for"

and the almost like overnight, he was a class Vlll. He could have been a corporate CEO with that kind of drive.

Whatever happened to Kerry?

G

Gottabrain

We were briefed at a staff muster a few years later that he had embezzled funds from the SO. But I don't actually know if that was true or a "shore story". I don't recall ever seeing a declare order on him, but he was entirely gone a few years later.

Anyone else here know anything?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I remember Kerry from ASHO circa 1969. He was just a young puppy. Very eager to please. He was a gopher , as in "go for"

and the almost like overnight, he was a class Vlll. He could have been a corporate CEO with that kind of drive.

Whatever happened to Kerry?

I remember Kerry from when he was CO Flag Bureaux. He was very dynamic, talked a mile a minute, and it seemed every other word out of his mouth began with F.

He could also be a bit of a schmuck at times. I remember one time when he announced to us at muster that we were all downstats, and as a result we were all going on rice and beans.

A few minutes later, I happen to be walking by his office, and overhear him telling his communicator "Go over to the Fort Harrison and get me an egg sandwich". I just kept walking and didn't say anything, but from that point I considered him an asshole.

I could see him being a CEO. He had that combination of energy, intelligence, and being very sure of himself, to the point of hubris. I think the last part is what brought him down, as I could not see him getting along with DM. His Comm Ev indicated what brought him down was being insubordinate to DM's intention to establish a financial dictatorship.

Since Scn, he seems to have done well, and put out some books on personal efficiency, as well as running his own personal efficiency organization.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Kerry is doing very well and is happily and successfully out.

I always had a soft spot for Kerry even though I thought he ran long on bombast and short on actually caring. Whoever wrote that with that drive he could have been a CEO is correct - he really did have drive and energy.

I was unlucky enough to be CO AOSH when Kerry was ED int. He was truly a lousy senior to have at that time.

G

Gottabrain

Mick - Thanks for the Comm Ev & Declare on Kerry.

Enthetan & Thetanic - Thank you very much for the current info.

There are heaps of falsehoods in that Comm Ev. AOLA got about 50-60 staff from the RPF, the rest went to ASHO (I went to pick them up, only to find Kerry had signed reprieve orders to ASHO already). Out of the initial 50-60, any that were PAC crew were sent to their own orgs by AOLA within 24-48 hrs. AOLA was highly dependent on the other PAC orgs and had no problems "sharing the wealth" or returning their staff to them. That left some 30 or so, easily assimilated into the org. The other Int staff and Flag Bureaux then ripped all but a few of those out of AOLA over the next 9 months without warning or replacement - the true source of "unstabilising" the org. Stats went flat; we really didn't have an effective C/O, either. Irene Dirman then went on mission as C/O AOLA for about 5 months and did okay, not great. Then Val Lisa was made C/O AOLA and crashed the org with her constant musical chairs and GO-style abuse of staff until she was removed by a CMO Mission (I was the 3rd on that Mission) which placed the new exec structure with Ivan Obolensky as C/O, Michael Silverman as PES and myself as Exec Esto, as I'd just finished the OEC at CTO. AOLA went into a major boom for years later. Kerry did mess up the reg lines at AOLA, though. He didn't know what he was doing there.

A shame about Lorita Hill at the time. I hadn't realised it was Kerry who did that. Lorita had a mind of her own. She was a legend as Qual Sec and original AOSH staff.

Reading his Comm Ev & Declare at this time gives me a whole different view of events then and now. It appears Kerry tried very hard to put the C of S back onto service to public as a priority and single-handedly tried to stand up to the Finance Police and other groups that had less than good intentions. Under him, justice lines were swift and fair. CJC (Melanie ---?) and IJC (Jurgen Brock) both believed in using "the exact degree of ethics necessary to get tech in". Comm evs were frequently cancelled at any step along the process if the staff member improved. "Hat, Don't Hit" was the policy of the day, with training emphasized over justice actions. Kerry did a lot of good things, though when he made mistakes, they were huge.

The business about RPFers "needing" their programs? Puh-leeease! A few stayed on by choice if they felt they wanted to do so. They weren't forced and to my knowledge, none of the reprieved RPF were ever returned there. They were good staff with no need for that degradation and humiliation.

If all the falsehoods I found in his Comm Ev are any indication of the rest of the Comm Ev, Kerry Gleeson was set up badly and the Comm Ev one huge political slam and snow job from the other powers at the time who were not willing to relinquish their control. Apparently Kerry did not coordinate well with CMO, WDC and the other groups and had a different vision for the C of S than they did.

What a shame DM wasn't been treated similarly and none stood up to him.

I am glad to know Kerry has done well for himself since. I think his heart was in the right place, even if he did make some dumb mistakes. And I couldn't agree more that he would have been great as a corporate CEO.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for posting your story, Gottabrain. All this happened just after I left. Do you have a 1980-81 story? :D

Challenge

Silver Meritorious Patron
It is so interesting to read these posts written by XSO and XStaff. I was up in the HGC auditing PCs and no idea that any of this was going on. I did see Kerry Gleason around the AO, and he seemed full of confidence and enthusiasm.
I didn't even know what RPF was except that once in awhile I would see them running down the street with the dirty gray rags tied around their arms, and the ones that I knew and spoke to would seem embarrassed. Finally one of them told me in a whisper "We can't speak to you".
As most of you know, I resigned from COS in July, 1983 when Gary Jacob, then the AOLA MAA asked me to secretly 'dose' an HGC PC with Thorazine.
My daughter disconnected the following February.
Anyways, please post more stories when you feel like it. I'm sure that we know lots of the same people.

G

Gottabrain

Happy Girl, in 1980-1981 I was Dir Income USGO (AOLA crew) because of a weirdness in the AOLA org board that put USGO Income under AOLA at that time, including manning the post. I didn't want to go, but I had no choice - Vic Fazio, who was then Dir Income USGO, had recruited me under an SO amnesty at that time as his replacement. So I remember you as examiner from when I'd occasionally come into AOLA, but I actually worked out of an office in the Manor. Val Lisa was then a USGO Exec and head of the FP Committee USGO. She hated me! I had decided without her consent to let the USGO participate in a pilot that let the USGO F/Lers reduce their debts to 10-20% of what they were and got them all paid off. She thought they were scum and didn't want them to be active Scns online. She declared me PTS (with no folder or C/S!!), refused to let me have LOA to see family and kicked me out and back to AOLA, demanding a replacement from AOLA. AOLA refused. (Yay AOLA!) So I was Collections Officer at AOLA for a time, then recruiter.

Challenge - While I was I&R, Mike Howson was Public MAA and Peeter Alvet was staff MAA. I helped out in both areas as needed. They were both still there when Irene Dirman was C/O AOLA. Mike Howson was an extraordinary Public MAA with a great reputation with the public. Peeter Alvet was good, but not great - he was prone to witch hunts. Irene Dirman used him to set up Harold Simms as a "who" and RPFed Harold (I refused and disagreed, so I was bypassed on that one). I gave him a Review Comm Ev after Irene left and he was back to AOLA 3-4 months later.

Drugging anyone at that time was completely unheard of - everything was quite above-boards. Gary Jacobs was made MAA by Val Lisa during AOLA's "black era" under her. She transferred me to a new post about every 6 weeks just to unstabilize me. I wouldn't doubt that it was Val Lisa who ordered Gary to do that - she saw SPs everywhere. AOLA lost a lot of staff under her, stats crashed, the org shrunk and a lot of very good people were busted, including Mike Howson. It was an awful time at AOLA under her.

Challenge

Drugging PCs was such a shock to me. That's why I left after 33 years in good standing. I had star-rated the Introspection R/D materials, but it never entered my mind that a drug ( like Thorazine) would be administered to a paying Person and telling him it was a vitamin program. Toadly shocking to me, sounded illegal, and big time out-tech. I had never met the PC, never even heard of him. Gary said that the Thorazine had been prescribed by Gene Denk.
If the situation were to happen NOW, as opposed to THEN, I still wouldn't participate in it, but I prolly wouldn't be stunned into leaving. I have since then been involved in the "rescue" of 3 Introspection R/D victims. One of whom was Roxann Richards, whose xhusband has posted her story after the R/D on this board. He says that she is brain damaged and unable to care for herself.
At the time that we brought her from Marshall Goldblatt's house in the Malibu Colony, I tried to convince her parents to sue COS, but they were afraid of the COS. That was all BEFORE Lisa McPherson was taken in Clearwater. Had the parents and others involved stood up and gone public, Lisa might possibly have been handled differently.
Nice to see you here. I appreciate your memories of the "black era" at AOLA.

ChLng

G

Gottabrain

Dear Challenge,

Your story was shocking to me when I first read it, too. I never heard of pc's being drugged, but I knew Val Lisa very well, and she being one of the most viscious of the USGO staff at that time, this would have been right up her alley.

I'm not sure where AOLA got Gary Jacobs. He could be very nice & pleasant at times, but he definitely had a "dark side" to him. If he came from the GO originally, that would make sense. Mike Howson would never have done something like that - he would have walked off post first.

Gene Denk was L Ron's last doctor. I remember him well from Shaw Health Center, but in the last 4 years or so before L Ron died, Gene Denk was rarely at the clinic and spent a great deal of time on some sort of confidential assignment for the C of S. I remember he was one of the doctors who approved the Running Pgm, which I had seen as very destructive to those RPF who were forced onto it. Gene Denk did not have any degree in Psychology or Psychiatry and although he was legally allowed to prescribe Thorazine (all MD's can), this was completely abusive on his part - the arrogance of prescribing such a destructive psychiatric drug when he had no training at all in psych or soc, had no such recommendation from a qualified psych, and then trying to sneak it to a person by claiming it was vitamins...WOW. It's good that you quit when you did. Gene Denk should have lost his license and been jailed for that and shame on Gary for being such a puppet. I wouldn't doubt that it was Denk who "oversaw" the Introspection R/D that proved so destructive to overstimulated public, too. What self-respecting doctor would condone such abuse? Years early, Gene Denk was a very good doctor, but he really got full of himself and on some sort of power trip with the C of S.

Challenge

It turned out that there were any number of "Iso" R/Ds going on in the PAC area. The house that Goldblatt had in the Malibu Colony was a "safe house".It was manned by CCLA Staffers and I have elsewhere posted their names.
Roxann was kidnapped to a house somewhere outside Palmdale, taken to a house owned by the Chiats in Sta Monica, and thence to the Goldblatt house. Gene Denk eas the Dr in charge of the "Iso", and Megan Shields did
follow-ups.
Like you, I would never have known of the "Iso" being "delivered" had not Gary brought me into it.
To quote E.E.Cummings " there is some shit that I won't eat!"

Challenge

G

Gottabrain

Secrets within secrets within secrets.

Lies within lies within lies.

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!

Sir Walter Scott

G

Gottabrain

I found Kerrie Gleeson on Facebook! :)

He's still a powerhouse. No longer involved with Scientology, but still stays in touch with old friends. He's very, very successful, just as we all thought he would be, and just as positive as ever. Perhaps a bit wiser. Great guy. :)

esmbanon

Patron
I found Kerrie Gleeson on Facebook! :)

He's still a powerhouse. No longer involved with Scientology, but still stays in touch with old friends. He's very, very successful, just as we all thought he would be, and just as positive as ever. Perhaps a bit wiser. Great guy. :)

sounds like you want to blow him.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Irene Dirman used him to set up Harold Simms as a "who" and RPFed Harold (I refused and disagreed, so I was bypassed on that one). I gave him a Review Comm Ev after Irene left and he was back to AOLA 3-4 months later.
So, that's what happened to Harold. I always wondered! Is Nicole Simms still in? If not, do you know how to reach her?

Drugging anyone at that time was completely unheard of...[/QUOTE]
:omg: This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Drugging PCs was such a shock to me. That's why I left after 33 years in good standing.
:omg:

Your story was shocking to me when I first read it, too. I never heard of pc's being drugged...
I'll have to read Challenge's story soon!

G

Gottabrain

I've been in touch with Kerrie now. He still has heaps of energy, but he's become rather wise and mellowed, too. He gave me some absolutely terrific and well-thought advice on a subject not related to Scn. - no quicky advice, either, and that was very kind of him and appreciated. We don't discuss Scn. He is completely out of it and has been for many years.