What's new

The Homeless Terror

Tom_Booth

Patron with Honors
I mentioned early on when I first came to ESMB that I had taken an invitation to join Scientology Staff in Harlem but that I would probably not stick with it long if it didn't look to me like the Church had any real intention of helping the local residents of Harlem.

While on staff in Harlem the past few months, with droves of homeless, disabled, indigent, drug addicted, alcoholic on the streets in the immediate neighborhood of the Church, it came to my attention that there was really not only zero effort being made to help or assist any of these people but...

Well,... I'll try to not generalize but give some specific instances.

What I discovered, apparently, somewhat to my surprise in the end was that; because quite a few, (I imagine), homeless, are picked up and sent to the "Crazy House", that they are, generally as a class, actually FEARED as some kind of brainwashed or drugged agents of the "Psyches".

If by chance, an obviously homeless individual happens to wander into the church, out of curiosity or whatever, the reaction I observed was quite astonishing to me. Not only were they not given any help of any kind, but as quickly as possible they were "body routed" out the door, usually with it made quite plain that they were not welcome.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
If by chance, an obviously homeless individual happens to wander into the church, out of curiosity or whatever, the reaction I observed was quite astonishing to me. Not only were they not given any help of any kind, but as quickly as possible they were "body routed" out the door, usually with it made quite plain that they were not welcome.

http://matrixfiles.com/Scientology Materials/ABILITY 0-192 Journal/Ability 126 March 1961.pdf

Top line: The purpose of Scientology is to make the able more able.

The unspoken corollary is to make the unable disappear. As you observed.

Well, that Ability page linked is a PR piece. The real purpose of Scientology involves Hubbard's personal motives, but the general think among staff is as it is stated, and "downstats" (the homeless etc) are beneath contempt to most Scios.

Paul

Tom_Booth

Patron with Honors
First incident:

Not long after going on staff, I happned to be outside the Church smoking a cigarette when an apparently homeless gentleman passing by on the sidewalk asked if I could spare some change for a cup of coffee.

In my early enthusiasm, I told him that we had coffee brewing inside and that if he wanted to come in he was welcome to a cup, possibly a bagel.

I was surprised by his reply, he said: "I can't go in there".

I asked why not.

He said that he had gone in there once and a woman had chased him out.

Surprised, and in a state of disbelief, I asked who. But he didn't seem to know her name. He was quite certain though that he was definitely not only not welcome but not allowed in the church.

He seemed like a nice enough guy to me.

After that time for a while during the winter I would brew a pot of coffee and putting it into a thermos, I'd take it down to the train overpass where I knew many homeless congregated and I would distribute cups of coffee. It seemed the least I could do.

Tom_Booth

Patron with Honors
(...)
Top line: The purpose of Scientology is to make the able more able.
(...)
Paul

Somehow I always viewed that as a kind of panacea for people coming into Dianetics or Scientology "Therapy". i.e. so someone looking into Dianetics/Scientology is not necessarily stigmatized as someone in bad "Mental Health" and in need of therapy.

Tom_Booth

Patron with Honors
Incident 2:

While out, rather reluctantly passing out some promo. I came across a homeless woman who seemed to express a quite genuine interest in Scientology, she was like : "OH... L. Ron Hubbard right ? I was always interested in Scientology and wanted to find out more about it."

I told her that we were having an open house that day and that there was free food and refreshments.

She took the invitation.

When she got inside, she asked what all the tables were, and someone explained about the personality test, and she asked if she could take the test.

She passed right by the table with the coffee and beagles and sat down at one of the tables and started filling out the form. She was apparently quite literate, at least so far as being able to fill out her name and so forth at the top of the form.

I was feeling rather proud of having brought someone into the church (Body routed as its called I suppose). But just then I herd a bit of a commotion on the other side of the room. The ED was telling one of the other staff: "Get her out of here Now!"

The other staff member obediently went over to the woman and told her that she would have to take the form with her and fill it out at home. That she would have to leave.

I was rather appalled and thought this extreme. The woman did, after all, express, what seemed to me to be a genuine interest. She was more interested in filling out the Oxford Capacity Analysis Test sheet than she was in the coffee and bagels left over from Sunday Service.

She was ushered out the door.

I followed.

She said to me outside the door: "Boy, they couldn't wait to get me out of there."

I had nothing to say in reply. Quite obviously she was right.

I continued talking with her as she walked from the Church carrying the OCA sheet.

I asked if she had eaten and could I buy her something. We proceeded to a local Chinese Restaurant and I bought her some chicken and rice.

After eating for a while, she fell asleep in her plate of food.

Some other people she knew came into the restaurant. They explained to me that she was a severe diabetic... or Hypoglycemic or something. The reason why she passed out after eating, that she wasn't on drugs but that people tended to assume that. She was well known in the area.

I was rather appalled at the ED's rush to judgement and the bad PR this sort of thing might generate for the church locally. Refusing services to someone for being "homeless" who was well known locally as having a medical condition.

Free Being Me

Crusader
Thanks for the "debriefing" however you're not imparting anything that's not already known here. In fact several posters have tried getting across to you what an insidious mind control thought reform mafia cult you've joined. For all your supposed moral outrage as to how the homeless are treated by $cientology you didn't leave until your staff contract was cancelled and you were shown the door (purportedly), not because of the homeless. Leaving of your own free will due to witnessing moral inequity would be saying much more than being supposedly told to leave after the fact.

Here's a grand idea, invite the homeless to stay on that piece of property you own. On second thought, maybe not. The homeless have a hard enough time without being proselytized with $cio garbage and I feel sorry for any homeless person and anyone else conned into your "experiments."

Last edited:

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
I'm so sorry, Tom. It makes my heart hurt to read about what you experienced. I know you have an interest in what I suppose could be termed the occult and in magical practice. Have you considered looking for insights, wisdom, mysteries, etc in some other system? There are followers of Crowley's work - either directly or tangentially, who honor and hold sacred the earth and its inhabitants. Surely there must be someplace where you could satisfy your desire for learning and offer real help to those in need.

Blanky

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron

sheep%20dip.gif

smartone

My Own Boss
I mentioned early on when I first came to ESMB that I had taken an invitation to join Scientology Staff in Harlem but that I would probably not stick with it long if it didn't look to me like the Church had any real intention of helping the local residents of Harlem.

While on staff in Harlem the past few months, with droves of homeless, disabled, indigent, drug addicted, alcoholic on the streets in the immediate neighborhood of the Church, it came to my attention that there was really not only zero effort being made to help or assist any of these people but...

What I discovered, apparently, somewhat to my surprise in the end was that; because quite a few, (I imagine), homeless, are picked up and sent to the "Crazy House", that they are, generally as a class, actually FEARED as some kind of brainwashed or drugged agents of the "Psyches".

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that these people have no money, would it?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Somehow I always viewed that as a kind of panacea for people coming into Dianetics or Scientology "Therapy". i.e. so someone looking into Dianetics/Scientology is not necessarily stigmatized as someone in bad "Mental Health" and in need of therapy.

If you actually look around, the only people who seem to matter are the ones who can get the stats up. Either public able and willing to buy major services and book packages, or people who go on staff and can get stats up.

It is UNIVERSAL, in every org I've been in, that if a new public is not affluent enough for major services, and not qualified for staff, there is no interest in him.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter

When you say they are feared as agents of the psyches- you mean that's what the CofSers are saying?

If so, well,

Oh.My.God.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
There was an elderly grey-haired guy who used to appear in reception at London Org from time to time when I worked there in the sixties called Sid Batten. I'm fairly sure he was homeless or lived in an hostel or something like that. I spoke to him a few times and he seemed a pretty harmless old geezer, but it was highly unlikely that he had money for training or processing.

He was regarded by most as a stereotypical 'DB', but he wasn't booted out in the callous fashion Tom_Booth describes happening to others.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
A couple years before I joined staff, so I guess I was 18 or 19, we had this guy scrape up the money for an intro comm course. He twitched and twitched and had a lot of issues, and couldn't complete the course. Later, we heard he'd been sleeping in doorways and stuff. I had been pretty sheltered and hadn't heard of such a thing before. Didn't know what to make of it.

Later, I was with my mom in a bus station and there was this poor fella hanging out there with other people who had nowhere to go. He saw me and waved and I was like "Hey, Bob! How are you!" and my teeny 100 pound mother jerked me back, like MY BABY!! Don't talk to him! And I was like, no, Mom, it's fine, it's Bob... Later I realized she was wondering how on earth I'd know that guy.

George Layton

Incident 2:

While out, rather reluctantly passing out some promo. I came across a homeless woman who seemed to express a quite genuine interest in Scientology, she was like : "OH... L. Ron Hubbard right ? I was always interested in Scientology and wanted to find out more about it."

I told her that we were having an open house that day and that there was free food and refreshments.

She took the invitation.

When she got inside, she asked what all the tables were, and someone explained about the personality test, and she asked if she could take the test.

She passed right by the table with the coffee and beagles and sat down at one of the tables and started filling out the form. She was apparently quite literate, at least so far as being able to fill out her name and so forth at the top of the form.

I was feeling rather proud of having brought someone into the church (Body routed as its called I suppose). But just then I herd a bit of a commotion on the other side of the room. The ED was telling one of the other staff: "Get her out of here Now!"

The other staff member obediently went over to the woman and told her that she would have to take the form with her and fill it out at home. That she would have to leave.

I was rather appalled and thought this extreme. The woman did, after all, express, what seemed to me to be a genuine interest. She was more interested in filling out the Oxford Capacity Analysis Test sheet than she was in the coffee and bagels left over from Sunday Service.

I followed.

She said to me outside the door: "Boy, they couldn't wait to get me out of there."

I continued talking with her as she walked from the Church carrying the OCA sheet.

I asked if she had eaten and could I buy her something. We proceeded to a local Chinese Restaurant and I bought her some chicken and rice.

Some other people she knew came into the restaurant. They explained to me that she was a severe diabetic... or Hypoglycemic or something. The reason why she passed out after eating, that she wasn't on drugs but that people tended to assume that. She was well known in the area.

I was rather appalled at the ED's rush to judgement and the bad PR this sort of thing might generate for the church locally. Refusing services to someone for being "homeless" who was well known locally as having a medical condition.

There were spaces between Donald and whatever he said.
Strangers had forced him to live in his head.
He envisioned the details of romantic scenes
After midnight in the stillness of the barracks latrine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k9mslBS0A

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
According to the Co$, homeless are out-exchange cocksucking motherfuckers that pulled it in, and if you try to help them you'll turn them into psychotic criminals.

You sure you still want to be on staff? Because this is just the tip of the "shit jus' ain' right" iceberg.

Docs or shut the fuck up!

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

I'm sorry Tom but if you haven't worked out by now what kind of people scientologists really are (while they are still in the cult) there's no hope for you at all.

I feel very saddened reading your stories about homeless people but as others have mentioned they are considered "degraded beings" ... due to having no money to dutifully hand over to the cult.

Thank you for being so nice to those poor souls though ... I really appreciate the kindness you have shown them.

:yes:

jenni with an eye

First incident:

Not long after going on staff, I happned to be outside the Church smoking a cigarette when an apparently homeless gentleman passing by on the sidewalk asked if I could spare some change for a cup of coffee.

In my early enthusiasm, I told him that we had coffee brewing inside and that if he wanted to come in he was welcome to a cup, possibly a bagel.

I was surprised by his reply, he said: "I can't go in there".

I asked why not.

He said that he had gone in there once and a woman had chased him out.

Surprised, and in a state of disbelief, I asked who. But he didn't seem to know her name. He was quite certain though that he was definitely not only not welcome but not allowed in the church.

He seemed like a nice enough guy to me.

After that time for a while during the winter I would brew a pot of coffee and putting it into a thermos, I'd take it down to the train overpass where I knew many homeless congregated and I would distribute cups of coffee. It seemed the least I could do.

Incident 2:

She took the invitation.

I followed.

As you are a member of ESMB & assuming you have taken the time to read ESMB,

I am surprised that you are SO surprised by the actual attitude of the cofs to these people. :confused2:

The cofs doesn't know the true definition of 'help' they just like to pretend they do.

If you ain't got no money they ain't got no 'help'.

:coolwink: