What's new

The Homeless Terror

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
From '94-'01 I was voluntarily homeless. I lived in the parking lots of Grateful Dead and Phish shows, in a tent at one Rainbow Gathering after another, or slept in parks like Hippy Hill in San Fran or in Boulder, CO (before they outlawed hippies), and always had several thousand dollars on me because I worked for an LSD cook slinging vials and 10 packs (10,000 hits of paper).

So what would $cientology have done if I walked into an org back then wanting services, was willing and able to pay for them, but I was homeless? Just curious.

Well that explains a lot, I was wondering why the hell anyone that's not in the cult would have any interest in pursuing Hubbard's dreck.

Scientology wouldn't touch you once they found out of your history of LSD use, that automatically makes you an illegal PC.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Well that explains a lot, I was wondering why the hell anyone that's not in the cult would have any interest in pursuing Hubbard's dreck.

Scientology wouldn't touch you once they found out of your history of LSD use, that automatically makes you an illegal PC.

It does make the person ineligible for S.O., but does it really also make them ineligible for auditing?

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Well, I know the cult hates anyone they think is downstat, and they love money, but I have seen them nail supposed up stats to the wall.

In my experience and what I've seen, they're nice to the person for sometimes as little as 1 day-after they get the big wad of cash, then, within days or hours, it's ethics, fault finding, etc. Tons of moneyed OTs have talked about truly abusive experiences and betrayals.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
I mentioned early on when I first came to ESMB that I had taken an invitation to join Scientology Staff in Harlem but that I would probably not stick with it long if it didn't look to me like the Church had any real intention of helping the local residents of Harlem.
Now THAT sounds like a BIG misunderstood on just what it is that the Church of Scientology DOES.

Scientology doesn't give a damn about the down-and-out, except maybe to point out that's where YOU will end up if you don't pay for major services.

Helena

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I appreciate the fact that Tom's seeming to witness and understand how hypocritical CofS is and is telling us about it. Didn't most exes start out believing the lies then later saying, ohhhh....wait a sec...WTF?

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron
We are terrified of the homeless because: they can be located by the authorities; because they are not players in the common economic game; because they might have bugs...

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
What BS said is how I remember it too from 95-96

Well, that's interesting. I wonder why. Has anyone seen anything in writing about this? This is the first I've heard of public being denied auditing because they took LSD.

I can invent reasons like because Mithoff had taken a lot of acid and DM hadn't and had decided he didn't like Mithoff then "LSD is the why." Or maybe it's as simple as stupid MAAs extrapolating the idea of "since LSD cases are denied entry to the SO" then they are no better than scum and should be denied auditing too.

Paul

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, that's interesting. I wonder why. Has anyone seen anything in writing about this? This is the first I've heard of public being denied auditing because they took LSD.

I can invent reasons like because Mithoff had taken a lot of acid and DM hadn't and had decided he didn't like Mithoff then "LSD is the why." Or maybe it's as simple as stupid MAAs extrapolating the idea of "since LSD cases are denied entry to the SO" then they are no better than scum and should be denied auditing too.

Paul

I was in around '95 and '96 and I've never heard of anyone being refused auditing because of LSD.

I was a Class 5 Grad C/S so I think I would have heard about it if that was the rule.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
From '94-'01 I was voluntarily homeless. I lived in the parking lots of Grateful Dead and Phish shows, in a tent at one Rainbow Gathering after another, or slept in parks like Hippy Hill in San Fran or in Boulder, CO (before they outlawed hippies), and always had several thousand dollars on me because I worked for an LSD cook slinging vials and 10 packs (10,000 hits of paper).

So what would $cientology have done if I walked into an org back then wanting services, was willing and able to pay for them, but I was homeless? Just curious.

They would reg you for as much money as they could possibly squeeze out of you, then they would order you to sec checks at your expense and use up all that money on that and ethics handlings.

LSD does not make you an illegal PC.

Tom_Booth

Patron with Honors
Any kindness shown to a homeless person is a generous act. Being homeless is no joke. I strongly disagree with the title of this thread. The homeless aren't a "Terror," that's completely misleading and if you've been homeless you would understand how insulting that label is. Society in general wants the homeless to be "invisible," not seen and out of the way. $cientology doesn't give a damn about them for the several reasons already stated.

I don't believe homeless people are any kind of "terror". I apologize for not putting "terror" in quotes or something.

I was always vaguely aware of the Scientology motto of making the able more able, but never really thought all that much about it. In the books, generally, there is no restriction against "heroic" auditing of the generally down and out, but quite a bit of talk about being able to empty the psychiatric wards and hospitals and rid the streets of crime with Dianetics and Scientology technology.

I related earlier my own experience with auditing a homeless woman with what seemed to me to be remarkable results.

I had thought that Scientology opening an "Ideal Org" in the inner city slum (Harlem) was a sign that Scientology was finally putting its money where its mouth was as far as being able to transform or improve social conditions and solve social problems and tackle the really difficult challenges and "get its fingers dirty" by showing what Scientology tech could actually do if applied in that kind of environment.

I ended up disillusioned.

Instead of doing anything to help the local population, a large percentage of which are homeless, living on the streets, whenever I attempted to help any of these people or dared even bring them into the Church, I was met with resistance.

Finally, I was shown a reference, as ITYIWT pointed out, about "degraded beings".

I wondered how anyone could automatically judge anyone who happened to be homeless at any one point in their life as being a "degraded being". ANYONE, any one of us, I dare say, any Scientologist could become temporarily homeless for one reason or another.

I also pointed out the the reference I was shown said to use very gentle low level processing on such "degraded beings" not to reject them. As if a "homeless" is automatically "degraded" which I certainly could not agree with.

It was finally explained to me how homeless people were picked up by the "psyches" and god only knows what done to them, but my distinct impression was that not only were the homeless in general discriminated against but that at least some of my fellow staffers (Some Sea Org missioners in particular) were actually afraid of the homeless. They seemed to express a kind of deep seated terror, a real fear of homeless people, the general idea being that they had all been picked up by the "Psyches" at one time or another, drugged, brainwashed, implanted or whatever and released back out on to the streets as agents of the "Psyches" who's sole purpose in life was now to infiltrate and bring down Scientology. They could therefore not be allowed into the Church under any circumstances.

Sitting and listening to all this I was just plain flabbergasted and came to the realization that the Church's neglect of the local homeless population was not just a problem of the local ED having a bad attitude but that it went much much deeper.

Anyway, I apologize for the title. I thought it would be obvious that I do not personally view any homeless person as a "terror". I've been effectively homeless myself from time to time. I have many homeless friends who drop by every so often and have lived here on my land for weeks or months before moving on.

Here is a video of a very talented "homeless" artist/musician/songwriter. The video was made in the back of my old Dead Head converted SchoolBus / Camper here on the land where I'm back living now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUJTuWX8Cw

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I don't believe homeless people are any kind of "terror". I apologize for not putting "terror" in quotes or something.

I was always vaguely aware of the Scientology motto of making the able more able, but never really thought all that much about it. In the books, generally, there is no restriction against "heroic" auditing of the generally down and out, but quite a bit of talk about being able to empty the psychiatric wards and hospitals and rid the streets of crime with Dianetics and Scientology technology.

I related earlier my own experience with auditing a homeless woman with what seemed to me to be remarkable results.

I had thought that Scientology opening an "Ideal Org" in the inner city slum (Harlem) was a sign that Scientology was finally putting its money where its mouth was as far as being able to transform or improve social conditions and solve social problems and tackle the really difficult challenges and "get its fingers dirty" by showing what Scientology tech could actually do if applied in that kind of environment.

I ended up disillusioned.

Instead of doing anything to help the local population, a large percentage of which are homeless, living on the streets, whenever I attempted to help any of these people or dared even bring them into the Church, I was met with resistance.

Finally, I was shown a reference, as ITYIWT pointed out, about "degraded beings".

I wondered how anyone could automatically judge anyone who happened to be homeless at any one point in their life as being a "degraded being". ANYONE, any one of us, I dare say, any Scientologist could become temporarily homeless for one reason or another.

I also pointed out the the reference I was shown said to use very gentle low level processing on such "degraded beings" not to reject them. As if a "homeless" is automatically "degraded" which I certainly could not agree with.

It was finally explained to me how homeless people were picked up by the "psyches" and god only knows what done to them, but my distinct impression was that not only were the homeless in general discriminated against but that at least some of my fellow staffers (Some Sea Org missioners in particular) were actually afraid of the homeless. They seemed to express a kind of deep seated terror, a real fear of homeless people, the general idea being that they had all been picked up by the "Psyches" at one time or another, drugged, brainwashed, implanted or whatever and released back out on to the streets as agents of the "Psyches" who's sole purpose in life was now to infiltrate and bring down Scientology. They could therefore not be allowed into the Church under any circumstances.

Sitting and listening to all this I was just plain flabbergasted and came to the realization that the Church's neglect of the local homeless population was not just a problem of the local ED having a bad attitude but that it went much much deeper.

Anyway, I apologize for the title. I thought it would be obvious that I do not personally view any homeless person as a "terror". I've been effectively homeless myself from time to time. I have many homeless friends who drop by every so often and have lived here on my land for weeks or months before moving on.

Here is a video of a very talented "homeless" artist/musician/songwriter. The video was made in the back of my old Dead Head converted SchoolBus / Camper here on the land where I'm back living now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUJTuWX8Cw

It is obvious to anyone who isn't in fault finding mode. Had someone else titled a thread the same, the reactions would have been different.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
There was an elderly grey-haired guy ... was regarded by most as a stereotypical 'DB', but he wasn't booted out
I was a DB, in my thoughts and actions, although not my appearance. And I did have money to pay.

For all its faults, scientology did help me with that (mainly OT 3, and later, Excalibur). I no longer consider myself a DB, although my life is still not running as well as I want.

Helena

I was technically homeless twice, once in the 90's' and once just last November. I wasn't broke; it was just a matter of finding a place. But it was scary.

Helena

I understand.

I was actually homeless three times in my life.

Once when I ran away from home.

Another time when I was a hippie.

And the third time when I moved to a new city to get a job and I lived in my car.

It is scary.

The Anabaptist Jacques