The "Key" to Life

Not to invalidate anyone's pleasure in doing KOT or the Div. 6 picture-book courses, but to show the Hubbard hypocrisy, here is what he had to say in 1957:

I understand your point, Ted. Still, I was raised in a family that viewed comic books as essentially degraded lit. Cartoons were regarded as legitimate solely when used for satirical purposes, much in the style of the tradition of the "king's fool".

The fact is you use what communicates to the audience you are attempting to reach. And frankly, general literacy standards of today strike me as far beneath those of my parent's generation (circa '20s). Hence "comic book" trainers may be more readily justifiable for a culture with diminished literacy.

Additionally, the higher standards of earlier times may well have been accompanied by a greater tendency to fail or drop out among those who did not do adequately well in the schools of the time. Standards were higher, yet a smaller percentage of the population had the opportunity to successfully complete a basic education. Early scientologists often were those who often encountered little difficulty reading DMSMH apart from the idiosyncrasies of the author. Those at the outset who had difficulties with the book would have had little motivation to pursue the subject further. Many later scientologists, especially those introduced to the subject through other means, encountered difficulties when first trying to read that book and others and thus required remediation in their basic skills.

Mark A. Baker

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
I did the Sea Org pilot Key to Life Course at Flag under Marylene Lizer and Anne Saunders (both of whom I loved and do care about very much...Anne died and I don't know where Marylene is but I know her family was shattered) in the early 80's.

Before I joined the Sea org as a teenager I was an English Major and quite literate. I feel that the enforced obsession with the minutiae of the nuances of every fricken word and all it's definitions and derivations and being expected to clay demo every aspect of every meaning of every word AND get a functionally illiterate twin through it all too was very damaging.

It feels to me even now that I can't really be sure anyone understands me or what they hear or read from others unless they too are aware of all these nuances. It fucks up your thinking to the point where you can't see the forest for the trees because you are so caught up in the WORDS instead of the reality.

Key to Life my ass. It should be called the Key to Hubbardsville.

ktl_hd.jpg

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
I did the Sea Org pilot Key to Life Course at Flag under Marylene Lizer and Anne Saunders (both of whom I loved and do care about very much...Anne died and I don't know where Marylene is but I know her family was shattered) in the early 80's.

Before I joined the Sea org as a teenager I was an English Major and quite literate. I feel that the enforced obsession with the minutiae of the nuances of every fricken word and all it's definitions and derivations and being expected to clay demo every aspect of every meaning of every word AND get a functionally illiterate twin through it all too was very damaging.

It feels to me even now that I can't really be sure anyone understands me or what they hear or read from others unless they too are aware of all these nuances. It fucks up your thinking to the point where you can't see the forest for the trees because you are so caught up in the WORDS instead of the reality.

ktl_hd.jpg

Anyone who has traveled to a foreign country where the local language is unknown to them will find out there is more to communication than the minutiae of words.

Or should I say, there is less to communication than the minutiae of words?

Also, I have learned a lot in writing to the internet. If something is stated so it can be misinterpreted or misunderstood, it is likely it will be, by someone.

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Anyone who has traveled to a foreign country where the local language is unknown to them will find out there is more to communication than the minutiae of words.

Or should I say, there is less to communication than the minutiae of words?

Also, I have learned a lot in writing to the internet. If something is stated so it can be misinterpreted or misunderstood, it is likely it will be, by someone.

I agree Ted. I communicated with many people who had not done the KTL when in the SO, and communicate both personally and professionaly with people who do not speak my language nor I theirs.

Hubbard tried to dumb down communication to a simplistic formula and tried to obscure the fact that people did not understand his lunatic drug induced ravings to his delusion that the reason for their lack of understanding HIM was due to their lack of understanding the definitions of the words that spewed out of his mouth.

I sucked it up at the time, but it was very much a manipulative put-down to say that all of us college educated Sea Org Executives had to re-do and clay demo a 6th grade level grammer book.

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree Ted. I communicated with many people who had not done the KTL when in the SO, and communicate both personally and professionaly with people who do not speak my language nor I theirs.

Hubbard tried to dumb down communication to a simplistic formula and tried to obscure the fact that people did not understand his lunatic drug induced ravings to his delusion that the reason for their lack of understanding HIM was due to their lack of understanding the definitions of the words that spewed out of his mouth.

I sucked it up at the time, but it was very much a manipulative put-down to say that all of us college educated Sea Org Executives had to re-do and clay demo a 6th grade level grammer book.

Scientology is built on a series of if,then assumptions stated as irrefutable fact. It is a house of cards ready to fall the moment anyone raises questions. Imagine the effort to keep it up after decades.

I can only conclude, after many years of observation and evaluation, Hubbard did not understand himself even though he pretended he did. Plug that into his communication formula and see what comes out the other side.

Quite right, what a putdown. And, what a waste.

Terril park

Sponsor

I have a different take. Never did KTL or LOC, or did much study of word clearing per se. But I was very good at it, and was given all the difficult cases
and handled them all, from low IQ low self esteem to those whose english as a second language was not so good, and anyone else.

In the early days many involved seemed quite well educated, and later
anyone off the streets would be regged and recruited. They very often had
study problems. Lets face it most don't get to university. They could become a councellor in, lets say a year.

Scn had a very interesting approach, they would put in much effort to get anyone to study to become a councellor. From my experience it mostly worked. I have a relative who has spent 12 years in her studies to be a psychologist.

A college grad of english may not need KTL. Dunno. I expect it helps others.

Mystic

Crusader
I remember back when the new KTL was released. I was all of about 12. I was currently onlines at my local Class V Org as an M1 Co-Audit student. It was such a big deal! There was a special courseroom just for KTL and another for LOC. There was so much hype and mystery around it. Even the title - "Ket to Life". Wow I was certain that it was going to unlock the mysteries of life. As a pre-teen girl this was all very enthralling for me. I could not wait to get into that special courseroom.

Fastforward to age 17. I am in the Sea Org. I have finally gotten all of the pre-reqs done. I am finally going to route onto the KTL. I do all of the prelim shit. Now it's time to get into the meat of things. I crack open the 6C book. At least I think it was called 6C. I remember thinking to myself "You have got to be fucking kidding". I flipped thru the whole book thinking "what kind of joke is this?". I grabbed the 9A (again not sure if that was what it was) and flipping thru it. I did this all discreetly since it was imperative that you not look ahead. Un-fucking-believable. Were they really telling me that learning grammar and definitions of small words was really THE KEY to life?!?!?!?! I blew the course. I was so disgusted I could not even bring myself to continue studying this crap. What a disappointment. Probably what the guys who do the OT levels feel. Like, is this shit for real?

I know that I for one, never found my salvation studying LRH materials.

Key to life... what a joke.

I just now ran across this post. Sorry I'm so late. Most excellent post. And the statement: "I blew the course". Such cognition! Such intelligence! Oh oh oh many many congratulations.

This is similar to what the OafTee level so invitingly called "Truth Revealed" reveals. Oh shit. The truth which gets reveled many of us got it at age 3 or earlier. I think I got it suckling my Mom's breasts.

canbedohave

I really hear you Ladybird

Being expected to clay demo every aspect of every meaning of every word: Sorry but that is not what I did; I M9 word cleared the meanings

"AND get a functionally illiterate twin through it all too was very damaging"

I can see that you would be very upset about that! You can do something about it though, by rehabbing your English skills. IMO

Sorry for my eval, but I do not believe you got the expected EP for this course!

The EP for KTL is: be able to communicate to someone in both written or spoken English and be understood, and to understand someone in both written or spoken English

I really do understand that you are still upset about your experience through your KTL journey. All I can say is that I would like you to do something about it, as in rehabilitate your "English Major and quite literate" abilities. That way you will get to be cause over your situation. Being negative about it will not allow you to move on. IMO

With regard to my English language skills, I too was functionally illiterate when I started it, but now after doing KTL I can communicate with the likes of people like you and not be put into a foggy stupor with that glazed look on my face! Mind you "The KTL" was just the start of my journey to more litteracy in English. I did have to study more after that course, but certainly for me, it was a great foundation.

I continue to improve my skills in this area, since I now have a deeper love for the language.

You might want to write your experiences in a journal!

canbedohave

Veda

Sponsor
Years ago, while it was only a pilot, and it existed only in black and white drawings which were photocopies, I read the KTL Course materials, and also the Check-sheet, and I also recall reading the KTL Course Supervisors Check-sheet and its materials.

Those doing the KTL were described, by L. Ron Hubbard, in less than complimentary terms. The course, as I recall - and I could be mistaken (corrections welcome) in what I'm remembering, as it didn't much interest at the time - positioned those taking the KTL as being "out of valance" and "PTS." having become "PTS" to, and having gone into the "valence" of, someone who "had been a problem," and that's a rough paraphrase. The message was that the person is confused about his own identity and overwhelmed.

In additional to being "out of valence" - supposedly to be handled by doing clay demos re. a person creating problems for you, etc. (paraphrase) - the person was positioned as being incapable of comprehension, particularly incapable of comprehension of words.

Thus the picture book aspect, as one might expect if teaching an illiterate person, especially a small child.

Sometime later, I learned that this course was being promoted and sold - as a necessity, and requirement - to everyone, regardless of his or her education or "case" level, that it had been re-done in big glossy colorful (kiddie, just starting school-type) picture books, was 'confidential' (there was a special course room for it), and great emphasis was placed on these kiddie books being studied in their proper sequence. (The Check-sheet that accompanied the Kiddie books was still a regular-appearing - for grown ups - Check-sheet.) I still find it hard to believe that it was/is "confidential." Was it?, or did I hear wrong?

I don't find it unbelievable that someone might improve his word comprehension skills through this course as, at one time I found doing the Student Hat to be useful for the same reason, particularly when looking up the definitions of little words, such as "of," etc. It was useful, but not "life changing," and I didn't consider that I was "capable of comprehension (of words) for the first time," etc., or that I had become a "different person" as a result, nor did I ever - just to mention it - want to become a "different person."

Yet, the "Success Stories" from this course, which I read in the promo sent out by Scientology, presented a stream of accounts of those who "can now comprehend for the first time," and account after account of people celebrating becoming someone other than who they had been.

Alright. Whatever, toots your horn, but I also noticed that many of these folks were already Clear, or OT 3, or OT 7, sometimes Class V, or Class VI, or even Class VIII. All had done the Student Hat, some had done Method I Word Clearing, etc. A fair number were college graduates, or beyond, including a couple of PhDs.

*And* it was obvious that, whatever was occurring, was occurring INSIDE a *Totalist cult environment*.

I was reminded of the Red Chinese re-education camp picture books used under Mao, and that, "in the revolution," anyone - even a college professor - would be regarded as a *child*, in need of re-education, from the ground up, or from pre-School *up" INSIDE the "Revolution."

Here, it seemed that (at least some) people were being first persuaded that they needed the KTL (as - bluntly - they didn't know who they were, and were stupid), then *re-educated from a pre-School/pre-Identity state *to* an adult-INSIDE-Scientology identity and state.

And to top it off, at the end of the course, they read Hubbard's 'The Factors'.(Hubbard's re-write of Crowley's 'Naples Arrangement' - itself a restatement of an earlier Kabbalistic/mystical statement). 'The Factors', itself, ends with the words, "humbly tendered as a gift to Man," to seal the deal, and show them how profound has been their voyage from Non-Scientology-non-enlightened confused preschooler to genuine IN-Scientology-grown-up person.

My impression, then - and I was then no longer in $cientology - is that this was the usual Scientology mix of something that (at least appears to) (may)be of benefit to a person (and God help you if, while, IN Scientology, you suggest that it isn't, or that it's not very important, etc.), and *something else*.

The *something else* being the part that one is not supposed to notice.

The old solvent (good)/lacquer (not so good) mixture.

The KTL almost seemed like a "soft" RPF (or serving a similar function, "break 'em down, build 'em back up") , but for everyone, not just Sea Org members. (Am not invalidating anyone's gains here, just looking at the glue side of the solvent/glue formula.)

Of course, this was only my impression of the KTL from a distance, and at a glance - so to speak.

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: KTL,

[...]
I still find it hard to believe that it was/is "confidential." Was it?, or did I hear wrong?

[...]

The course was confidential, offered to me at the NWC for $10,000. I did not take them up on the offer.

FoTi

Crusader
I loved it

I loved what I did of KTL. I would have loved to finish it, but .....:shithitfan: I hate when that happens.

canbedohave

More on KTL confidentiality

But no-one who had not done KTL could walk into the courseroom and start reading materials, right? Unless one had done the course....

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
[...]
I still find it hard to believe that it was/is "confidential." Was it?, or did I hear wrong?

The course was confidential, offered to me at the NWC for $10,000. I did not take them up on the offer.

I read the comments here made about the KTL confidentiality and I must respond because I believe that there is some misunderstanding or maybe a not know about it.

Now whether or not you believe in some of the methods used by LRH, he did set out a method whereby auditing could take place. Now I am sure that I would not like someone barging in on my auditing session! What about you?

The only reason KTL is confidential is that the first part of it, the clay table processing, is auditing. The clay table is not done as a clay table demo. It is done by way of clay table representations. Clay table representations are clayed on the table by an auditor asking the preclear a question, which the preclear can answer by looking in their mind and then showing that on the clay table.

Now if someone was to walk in on this action, what do you think would happen to the preclear?

Do you think the preclear would be thrown out of session?

Or do you think maybe this interloper would see what is being clayed and react to it?

And even worse, the preclear may originate the EP of the clay table auditing while this stranger walks in.

And so on.

Well, that is why the supervisor is very strict on not letting people come into the KTL course-room, especially when this action is taking place. The course supervisor is less strict it seems when this action is not taking place, but still maintains course-room rules.

I hope that explains some not knows about the “confidential” KTL.

So again, clay table representations, is auditing, while clay table demo-ing is a technique to obtain greater understanding about what you are demo-ing by translating significance in actual mass.

canbedohave

Illegal Alien

Patron with Honors
I heard that they had to revamp the Life Orientation Course because staff were realizing that their goals in some cases did NOT align with being a staff member. That is when I blew for good, after the LOC.

Yea I remember on the LOC as a public I found my hat in life and I was very happy with it but got told to look at it again. At the time I thought I had missed something but my hat in life had nothing to do with Scientology directly and was I suppose frowned upon.

"Key to Life" :duh: got sucked into that one.

There was a small inscription on the "Key" saying "For use in Scientology only"

dontscamme

Patron Meritorious
On page 235 of Blown for Good, Marc Headley briefly addresses the subject of KTL/LOC courses.

In 2004 some very high-level executives at the Int base had been declared SPs, and people were told to work on them until they confessed all their crimes against Scientology.

Here is the part relevant to this thread:

We heard how the Key to Life and Life Orientation Courses were compiled completely wrong and how they were never supposed to be the way they were released. Ray Mithoff had misunderstood what LRH had laid out in the advices for the courses and he could not think with what LRH had intended the courses to be. This one was confirmed by Dave to be what actually happened. But now that they had been released and thousands of public had either done the courses or paid for them, they just let people keep doing them knowing that they were complete crap and an exercise in futility.

canbedohave

I survived

On page 235 of Blown for Good, Marc Headley briefly addresses the subject of KTL/LOC courses.

In 2004 some very high-level executives at the Int base had been declared SPs, and people were told to work on them until they confessed all their crimes against Scientology.

Here is the part relevant to this thread:

We heard how the Key to Life and Life Orientation Courses were compiled completely wrong and how they were never supposed to be the way they were released. Ray Mithoff had misunderstood what LRH had laid out in the advices for the courses and he could not think with what LRH had intended the courses to be. This one was confirmed by Dave to be what actually happened. But now that they had been released and thousands of public had either done the courses or paid for them, they just let people keep doing them knowing that they were complete crap and an exercise in futility.

Luckily I got out alive without too many scars!

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
I read the comments here made about the KTL confidentiality and I must respond because I believe that there is some misunderstanding or maybe a not know about it.

Now whether or not you believe in some of the methods used by LRH, he did set out a method whereby auditing could take place. Now I am sure that I would not like someone barging in on my auditing session! What about you?

The only reason KTL is confidential is that the first part of it, the clay table processing, is auditing. The clay table is not done as a clay table demo. It is done by way of clay table representations. Clay table representations are clayed on the table by an auditor asking the preclear a question, which the preclear can answer by looking in their mind and then showing that on the clay table.

Now if someone was to walk in on this action, what do you think would happen to the preclear?

Do you think the preclear would be thrown out of session?

Or do you think maybe this interloper would see what is being clayed and react to it?

And even worse, the preclear may originate the EP of the clay table auditing while this stranger walks in.

And so on.

Well, that is why the supervisor is very strict on not letting people come into the KTL course-room, especially when this action is taking place. The course supervisor is less strict it seems when this action is not taking place, but still maintains course-room rules.

I hope that explains some not knows about the “confidential” KTL.

So again, clay table representations, is auditing, while clay table demo-ing is a technique to obtain greater understanding about what you are demo-ing by translating significance in actual mass.

canbedohave

Sorry, canbedohave, but this is complete bunk. You have swallowed some PR line hook line and sinker.

KTL and LOC were confidential. Period. Read your tech on the mystery sandwich.

Who in their right mind would pay $7000-$10,000 for a grammar course? Absolutely no-one. Not even a high pressure Scientology reg could twist many arms to do that. So they had to make it a BIG BIG DEAL. This thing was hyped to the point that people were walking in and putting down their money without question as to what they were getting. It was all just a trick to reg people. Unfortuately it worked.

canbedohave

I am talking about tech, your argument is ad hominem

Sorry, canbedohave, but this is complete bunk. You have swallowed some PR line hook line and sinker.

KTL and LOC were confidential. Period. Read your tech on the mystery sandwich.

Who in their right mind would pay $7000-$10,000 for a grammar course? Absolutely no-one. Not even a high pressure Scientology reg could twist many arms to do that. So they had to make it a BIG BIG DEAL. This thing was hyped to the point that people were walking in and putting down their money without question as to what they were getting. It was all just a trick to reg people. Unfortuately it worked.

Okay, let me get something straight. When you follow this thread, my responses have been to add information about what is or isn't confidential, and why. So I am talking about the tech itself, to bring to the fore anything said about it, that I see is not correct tech-wise.

You on the other hand give me a backhander saying I swallowed some PR, and that I am not in the right mind to pay $7000-$10000 for a grammar course.

Before I started these courses I did my research and I spoke to many people who had done the courses. I asked them many questions about the courses and the delivery here in LA, before I decided to do them. So for me, it was the appropriate thing to do. And I also knew I was is it for the long haul, meaning that the courses would take some time to complete. I am very proud to say that what I accomplished with these two courses was far more than I ever got from my school education by a long shot. So whatever you say, is your opinion, but please bear in mind, many people who have completed the KTL and LOC are also of the same opinion about their wins, with their own slant on it.

So my wins still stand!

You did not cancel them, ha ha!

As for the confidentiality, I stand by my previous posting on it. For KTL, section 2 is confidential because it contains clay table auditing, and also section 10 on Conceptual thinking clay table auditing, but the rest is not, and certainly nothing in LOC is confidential. That material is mostly taken from the book "Introduction to Scientology Ethics".

My only action is to expose any outness that I see in what is being written, not to comment, give opinions on whether or not the Scientology management sucks channel water, even if they do.

So, all I want is to get the most out of what is available, from some shabby organisation.

All I ask is do not attack me for making a decision, especially when you do not know my background. That is all.

canbedohave

Veda

Sponsor
Can any Scientologist walk into an Org and buy a set of the 'Key To Life' books, and any other 'Key to Life' materials, and take them home? For that matter, is he allowed to hold, and read, these materials in the lobby/bookstore of the Org?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Can any Scientologist walk into an Org and buy a set of the 'Key To Life' books, and any other 'Key to Life' materials, and take them home? For that matter, is he allowed to hold, and read, these materials in the lobby/bookstore of the Org?

Yes. I saw something posted on ESMB saying Bridge is doing a special on the KTL books right now, $350 total for the common words book, grammar book, and maybe how to use a dictionary. Take a hand truck along to wheel them away or you'll damage your wrist [my comment, not theirs].

The only truly confidential part of KTL is the EPs of the Clay Table processes. Everything else is basically misunderstood policy or "mystery-sandwich" marketing PR and bullshit.

I found the increase in my ease of reading quite significant. It just jumped out at me one day that it was different to before. I assume that was mainly from clearing all those damn meanings of the small common words. Was it worth the hundreds of hours put into it? Hard to say, but I'm glad I did it.

Paul

Terril park

Sponsor
Not sure if you were on our FZ forums then Paul, many years ago we had this come up, and I think many who posted were on the pilot of KTL and LOC.

They nearly all had extremely positive successes with the course. Needless
to say this was not made up hype to post in scn promo material. I never
posted them as success stories as they were COS stories not FZ stories.

Best I know the book of the EPs is not available in the FZ, although the rest is. If anyone has them please post to Wikileaks.