The life of a married couple...in the Sea Org

pnut

Patron
So I found myself wondering about the functioning of marriage, when both man and woman work for the Sea Org. They both work about 60 hours a week minimum, and when they see each other at night, they're probably exhausted. On top of everything, they're not supposed to have children, which in many cases is considered the core of two people share a long and happy life together (I'm not old-fashioned, but hey, in many cases it's true).
At least that's how I understood all of it-
Do these people have any time for each other at all? I'm not even referring necessarily to sex, but to overall expression of love to your spouse, quality time together, not to mention getting to know each other further (I hear that a lot of those couples are pretty much pushed into marrying each other after a mere few months of dating).. I mean, is the marriage of a SO couple ever displays itself in a standard manner?

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
Do these people have any time for each other at all? I'm not even referring necessarily to sex, but to overall expression of love to your spouse, quality time together, not to mention getting to know each other further (I hear that a lot of those couples are pretty much pushed into marrying each other after a mere few months of dating).. I mean, is the marriage of a SO couple ever displays itself in a standard manner?

There is no quality or quantity of time together as a married couple in the SO even after you join as a married couple so what chance does a marriage have when you are married in the SO.

Some marriages in the SO are marriages of convenience basically for visa and citizenship purposes. Nothing more and nothing less ...

Some get married to get out of the mens and womens dormitory so they can have their own personal space. And if you have been in the SO you would understand this.

As for CMO there is a whole selection process in order for an individual to select an appropriate marriage partner. I know because my beautiful daughter told me what she did to select her proposed husband, not that she married that fellow. I won't bore you with the details but it's eye opening to say the least.

Is there such a thing as love and getting to really know the person personally and god forbid sexually? NO NO NO

It's certainly not OK to touch or try before you buy concept ... :dieslaughing:

Love is a foreign concept when it comes to the SO and hence the high divorce rate. How could a marriage survive in that environment when it's conditional?

Sad as it is SO members believe it's the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics and I'm talking about clearing the planet ... not saving your marriage...

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Yeah, makes you wonder how the religion could possibly function if they can't even cope with basic life concepts...

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Well this is probably going to seem totally weird but bear with me

My wife and I have been married 33 years this year - we met, and got married in the SO.

our best friends met and got married in the SO and celebrated 34 years of marriage recently. Another set of good friends met and got married in the SO and celebrated 28 years of marriage.

There are many more examples that I personally know of people who met and got married in the SO and who are still married after being out.

I cannot even say whether that means anything significant or not - but I do think it is the kind of data that needs to be taken into account.

BC1

Patron with Honors
From what I've heard the divorce rate is high, but keep in mind that it's high on the outside too. It probably depends on where both people work. If they work in the same building or department then they might get to spend a lot of time together. Although, I don't know how much of that is really "quality time" with their spouse.

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious

My wife and I have been married 33 years this year - we met, and got married in the SO.

our best friends met and got married in the SO and celebrated 34 years of marriage recently. Another set of good friends met and got married in the SO and celebrated 28 years of marriage.

There are many more examples that I personally know of people who met and got married in the SO and who are still married after being out.

I cannot even say whether that means anything significant or not - but I do think it is the kind of data that needs to be taken into account.

Are most of the people you know, whose marriages have survived, out of CoS ?
If yes, do you think their marriages would have survived if they'd stayed in.
Just curious.

The_Fixer

Class Clown

:thumbsup::thumbsup: congrats!

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Are most of the people you know, whose marriages have survived, out of CoS ?
If yes, do you think their marriages would have survived if they'd stayed in.
Just curious.

Thats an interesting question. First - yes the ones I cited are all out - I am not in touch with any still in (us SPs you know...)

It may be that the act of choosing each other over the Sea Org and Scientology adds a certain commitment - I do not know whether that is true or not, just a hypothesis. I have actually thought of several others too - so its kind of interesting.