What's new

The long term effect of Thursday mornings

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Yes there is history there. Part of Macedonia was under Bulgarian rule, unfortunately under orders the Bulgarian police rounded up the Macedonian Jews and handed them over to the Nazis.

Happily when they asked for the Bulgarian Jews the head of the Bulgarian Church said no way, over my dead body. Bulgaria is one of the only countries that didn't join in with final solution. I do admire their confront in standing up to the swastika.

After the war Eastern Europe go carved up and handed over to Uncle Jo to look after and Bulgaria lost it's little empire.

>>what about health insurance?

Funny!

Although it wasn't that funny when we had our daughter, carrying a pregnancy and delivery without insurance and below minimum wage income can take a toll.

A

Annonny

Yes there is history there. Part of Macedonia was under Bulgarian rule, unfortunately under orders the Bulgarian police rounded up the Macedonian Jews and handed them over to the Nazis.

Happily when they asked for the Bulgarian Jews the head of the Bulgarian Church said no way, over my dead body. Bulgaria is one of the only countries that didn't join in with final solution. I do admire their confront in standing up to the swastika.

After the war Eastern Europe go carved up and handed over to Uncle Jo to look after and Bulgaria lost it's little empire.

I've been to Bulgaria and the Balkans in general. I really like the region and the food. I hope Scientology stays out.
Funny enough, Scientology press-releases state that the CoS is present in 165 countries. There are 192 members members of the UN.
Sounds like either the Scientology is lying or is really bad at math.

A

Annonny

Funny!

Although it wasn't that funny when we had our daughter, carrying a pregnancy and delivery without insurance and below minimum wage income can take a toll.

Glad my questions amuse you, haha.
Where did you take your daughter to the doctor when she was a newborn? Must have been real tough. Babies cost tons of money to take care of.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Sarah, time off? If you had any time off you would be cleaning your clothes to wear in your job, or even cleaning and tidying your home (a couple of square meters in a dorm)

Very occasionally you were allowed time off to actually get out, go to the pictures, have a meal, visit a museum, this was very rare for most people.

Life generally was in a blind panic, state of emergency, all hands, long hours, stress stress stress.

You had to make it go right. If you were the medical liaison officer and someone came in an allergic reaction you would have to make it go right, with no medical training or understanding. You might get a volunteer to do a touch assist and hand out some vitamin c. If it was really bad the usual thing was to have the patient dumped outside a hospital, telling them not to say they were a scientologist.:omg:

While I was an active SO member in the mid-to-late-70's, I was posted in outer non-SO CLIV orgs and only experienced actual SO org life when hauled down there for training or ethics cycles lasting from days to weeks. There was NO insurance coverage for any staff. Remember, especially for dedicated staff members, most were heavily indoctrinated into the "you are a thetan, not a body" so I think the prevalent attitude was considering the body more of a hindrance, something we had to put up with as an inconvenience of the physical universe until we could go full OT and operate without need of a body; until such time the body was absolutely necessary in order to "hold the cans" so we could get the needed processing to OT. Been a long time, but the only time I ever recall hubbard mentioning insurance was in a derogatory manner, more or less as a con game operating on "raw meat" who didn't know they were thetans and who were buying insurance because they were basically "PTS to the middle class" and such. That's the impression I had of his viewpoint on insurance anyways. Don't waste money on insurance (a PTS postulate that your measly body would get sick or die); the only real solution was to get trained and audited!

When I was pulled down to the LA area SO orgs for handling, the quality of food could vary immensely from org to org and depending on the weekly stat of GI for the given org. If the GI was good, very good, or highest ever or whatever then the chow could be really, really good. If the org GI was down or they were struggling to meet bills over a given time period, then chow could be pretty gross, powdered milk, rice-and-beans, powdered eggs, etc. At the time, I think it was mainly the RPFs, or possibly the RPF's RPFs, that were fed steadily on rice-and-beans and that may have only been during the later years. My ex was on both and I think she ate basically what the org's crew ate except they were leftovers. I was never on an RPF so can't say for sure on that one.

I think the LA SO orgs back then had a staff section that more or less provided simple things such as vitamins IF (and a big IF) stats were such that they were allocated any money for any given week. I don't think there was anything stable about it, though, and was highly variable from org-to-org and time-to-time. Definitely no sanctioned meds. If the condition warranted it, a staff member might be sent to a $cn doctor and the immediate expenses covered by the Staff Section's MLO ("Medical Liaison Officer). I think, though, that in a lot of cases the staff member just had to "make it go right" and cover his own expenses for vitamins or the occasional medical expense for things such as broken bones, burns, cuts, whatever. Of course, the PRIMARY emphasis would be on getting processing and/or ethics handlings (for PTSness or other "out" ethics conditions). And arranging for staff processing could be pretty haphazard at best.

Blech. Enough with traipsing though the memory graveyard on this one for me. :wink2:

Oh yeah, seems I recall reading something long, long ago about the choice of Thursday for ending the week but, sorry, I've forgotten what his (hubbard's) reasoning was.

Sarah, I would pray constantly, to no particular god, ''please make this stop!'':melodramatic:

And, please,
pray.gif
let the yelling and screaming to get the Gross Income UP impinge at least enough to afford the week's cigarettes and coffee ... and, oh yeah, for bread and peanut butter! (for those of us in the outer orgs not receiving the 70's $10.00 weekly SO stipend)

Funny!

:heartflower: This thread is cathartic for me...

This calls for a :grouphug:

Thank you, Sarah, for asking the right questions.......

A

Annonny

:heartflower: This thread is cathartic for me...

This calls for a :grouphug:

Thank you, Sarah, for asking the right questions.......

My pleasure. I am always afraid that people would be too irritated that I ask questions about things that are probably very obvious to ex-Scientologist.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
My pleasure. I am always afraid that people would be too irritated that I ask questions about things that are probably very obvious to ex-Scientologist.

Not here, at least that I know of!

hummingbird

Patron with Honors
In the early 80s, I was pregnant with my second. I have always been overweight, but in the fifth month of my pregnancy, I lost 5 pounds! My doctor was alarmed and told me to get more rest and eat better. I went to the ED of the org and asked if I could reduce my hours for medical reasons. He said that whatever "PTSness" I was experiencing should be handled by the "tech."

(Shortly after that I was booted out. Problem solved!) :happydance:

As far as paying for labor and delivery, my first was paid for by the taxpayers of California through Medi-Cal, basically medical welfare for the indigent. We also qualified for foodstamps. My second was paid for by my inlaws, who got us registered with an HMO.

A

Annonny

In the early 80s, I was pregnant with my second. I have always been overweight, but in the fifth month of my pregnancy, I lost 5 pounds! My doctor was alarmed and told me to get more rest and eat better. I went to the ED of the org and asked if I could reduce my hours for medical reasons. He said that whatever "PTSness" I was experiencing should be handled by the "tech."

(Shortly after that I was booted out. Problem solved!) :happydance:

As far as paying for labor and delivery, my first was paid for by the taxpayers of California through Medi-Cal, basically medical welfare for the indigent. We also qualified for foodstamps. My second was paid for by my inlaws, who got us registered with an HMO.

Whatever PTSness? What a bunch of crap. I've heard LRH had quite a bit of PTSness himself, in fact didn't he die from a PTS for which he was taking the forbidden meds?

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I don't think antihistamines are forbidden...however, I also don't think he even knew what was being given to him. He was in terrible physical and mental shape at the end.

A

Annonny

I don't think antihistamines are forbidden...however, I also don't think he even knew what was being given to him. He was in terrible physical and mental shape at the end.

I didn't know he died with antihistamines in his system, I thought it was something psychiatric. Anyway, both scenarios don't matter that much, because the CoS does seem to have an aversion of any medication, i.e. asthma inhalers, anti-epilepsy drugs and so on.

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
According to Wikipedia at least, Vistaril is a potent antihistamine which is also a moderately strong sedative. Many antihistamines are sedative, since histamine is a neurotransmitter as well as a trigger for inflammatory immune response. That's why the ones that aren't make a point of advertising that they are "non-drowsy".

It sounds from the Wikipedia article as though Hubbard might have been prescribed Vistaril as a treament for mild chronic anxiety, but it might also have been simply for allergies. Even in the first case, calling vistaril a 'psych drug' would be a gross exaggeration. Vistaril or its equivalence is apparently an over-the-counter medication in some countries.