What's new

The movie "The Bridge"

pnut

Patron
Has anyone seen the 2006 film "The Bridge" made by Brett Hanover?
If so, I was wondering what did you, as Ex-Scientologists, think about this film,
and also, how accurate or inaccurate was it fact-wise?

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
If so, I was wondering what did you, as Ex-Scientologists, think about this film,

It was decent, it pointed out a lot of the horseshit with Cof$. The scene where the chick was being audited was bogus. Not even the student auditing I saw was that piss poor.

Pete

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
It was decent, it pointed out a lot of the horseshit with Cof$. The scene where the chick was being audited was bogus. Not even the student auditing I saw was that piss poor.

Pete

If you look at any movie for general consumption the "technical" points are laughable to any professional in that field. But showing the accurate procedure would usually not work at all in a movie for lay persons who would not understand what was going on. For an example, look at the movie "Twister" and the stuff that went on there. It was good entertainment for the general public, but technically I imagine the pros found it hilarious.

I thought that "Bridge" movie pretty well captured the flavour of life as a Scn staff member, even though the details were often incorrect to an insider like thee or me.

Paul

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
I only watch movies for entertainment value, because if I don't I end up yelling "Where's the technical director!"

Xenu's Boyfriend

Silver Meritorious Patron
I just wanted to bring this thread back up - I saw this movie last year and actually really like it...I also thought it was topical because the beginning of the movie has actual footage of Ronnie Miscavige doing part of a Scientology promotional film if someone wants to see him in action after reading Jenna's book - it's in the first few minutes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-DkG6kKASc

Jay Pea

Patron with Honors

I believe this film was made for public consumption in mind. My husband was one of the key producers. I'm certian they wanted a depiction of scientology to rise to the level of MAJOR CONCERN..........and for those in Hollywood who have access to mega-bucks to fund a larger movie project on this topic.

Xenu's Boyfriend

I believe this film was made for public consumption in mind. My husband was one of the key producers. I'm certian they wanted a depiction of scientology to rise to the level of MAJOR CONCERN..........and for those in Hollywood who have access to mega-bucks to fund a larger movie project on this topic.

Well thank you to you and your husband...I know some people say earlier in the thread that this wasn't their exact experience as auditors, but it feels real from what I've read - I think there is something about this film that may hit deeper than if it had a million dollar budget and also the choice for black and white. I'd never seen an auditing session before or a sec-check and the movie gave me some idea of what that would be like. And the whole thing about Hubbard's office, very creepy. I think this film is very valuable - I love it, and I hope more people see it with the new books that are out now.

Red Valiant

Patron with Honors
As an associate producer of this film, I was there for the shooting of all of it. We were on a shoe string budget. At many times, we had to make choices of wanting to present ~reality~ for 99% of the public to get (grasp) the dangers of the cult. We knew full well that a 1% would take exception to Hubbard Tech detailed BS -- a risk well worth taking! I'm sure pro-Marty-blog fans will take issue though.

BTW, I'm an ex $cieno CLEAR .... for whatever that's worth. I've been away from the fray for several years. I was so hoping The Master, would have been more pointed, although there was superior acting for sure. Thanks to Larry Wright's and Jenna Hill's new books, and Katie Holmes's recent actions to escape, I've decided to reactivate and rebuild www.TheBridgeMovie.net so that The Bridge film does not vanish -- an effort the Co$ wanted so much!

:happydance:

Jay Pea

Patron with Honors
Two observations from my research...

At the end of The Bridge movie, the director & producers make a dedication statement... "For all who speak out, for those who have been silenced." To me that's very powerful, and much so to this very day almost 7 years later.

If one googles "movies about scientology" what comes up is "The Profit" and "The Master" - nothing about The Bridge. That needs attention and focus I believe.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
It was a wonderful effort by a talented young director, Brett Hanover, who the cult shuttered into silence, like was done with other young talent who made movies or documentaries. I hope he is well. He did a terrific job on this. I enjoyed the movie and believe it got the point across about what it's like to be in a cult called Scientology from a staff member POV.

Xenu's Boyfriend

It was a wonderful effort by a talented young director, Brett Hanover, who the cult shuttered into silence, like was done with other young talent who made movies or documentaries. I hope he is well. He did a terrific job on this. I enjoyed the movie and believe it got the point across about what it's like to be in a cult called Scientology from a staff member POV.

Thanks for bringing the book links to our attention in the other thread. That was helpful, I hadn't seen all of those. :yes: