What's new

The Old Days - At the FLB 1975

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am posting for a friend of mine, Wanda Novak. This is her story. Her web site is <http://www.neversaycant.net>. There is nothing about Scientology on the web site; there is no mention of Scientology in her book, Never Say Can't: Memoir of a Successful Woman.

The book is not meant for Scientology people, but some former scios have read it. This series of postings make up the "back story," of interest to ex-scios, of no interest to others.

I encouraged Wanda to write it because it ties in with Face's story and some others. Wanda's story is what was happening to her as an "upstat" public while all the other craziness was happening elsewhere. Some day a compiler can put this all together to show what a nut case of a manager Hubbard was.

No doubt you will have questions. I will try to have these answered as the postings progress.

Here is the first installment:

It was late 1974, close to Christmas when my story begins.

Before I had any involvement in Scientology, I was kind of halfway dating a DJ whose career was on the rise having moved from WOW AM radio in Omaha, NB to a large, powerful station in Minneapolis. I was the first woman to sell advertising time in the television market. At the time I was concerned about my sales skills. The DJ told me about the Church of Scientology, specifically, “They have this communications course, and it would just be dynamite for you in sales.” He said, “It’s really cheap and you can get it done in a week of evening classes.”

I said, “Okay, I’ll give it a go.” I looked in the telephone book, and I’ll be damned, but it wasn’t a block from the TV station where I worked. I went down there, and I took their silly little test. The [Mission Holder’s] owner’s son-in-law asked, “Have you ever taken this test before--or a test like it?” I said, “No. I don’t think so.” He said, “I don’t understand it because you are at the top of every category.”

I asked, “Is that bad?” He said, “No. We’ve just never had anyone come in with that high of a score in all the subjects.” I said, “Look, I don’t care about scores or any of that. I just heard that you have a really good communications course, and I want to take it.” He said, “You have to do this evaluation first.” I told him I don’t want to fool around. I want to take the course. When does it start?” I think it was $75 and they started every Monday.

The course drug on for over a month. During that time they talked me into processing. At the same time they let my 10-year old son work in the back in their library. We talked over my son getting processing along with me getting processing.

The Mission, led by the Mission Holder/ED, had a big survival kick going on. He had a place down in Missouri that he had purchased for peanuts. He was getting everybody to buy into it because “the world was coming to an end.” As the world came to an end they would be down there for a while then they would return and “take over” Omaha. Taking none of it too seriously, I kind of laughed at the whole idea.

The Mission Holder/ED invited us down to take a look at the place. I didn’t know what it was back then, but I later learned that during the trip in the car he had told us OT-3 material. My son got an immediate fever and broke out with measles. That was peculiar because my son had already had the measles. We stopped for emergency medical treatment and they gave us stuff to get his fever down.

That night my son was lying in bed when he started screaming. I was sitting downstairs in this rickety old place. His entire body was on fire like he had been burnt. Having no other solution I put him in ice. I got his fever down below 101. I put him on the couch by my side for the rest of the night. I went to the kitchen to get the fever breaking medication. I walked back into the room where my son was lying down. Don Hill was there telling my unconscious son that he was in the wrong body to do what he wanted to do this life.

I asked Don Hill what was going on. He said, “Nothing.” I told him that we had to head back to Omaha in the morning so my son could be with his regular doctor.

After that I started having dreams that were like a movie where the reel had skipped a cog going flutter, flutter, flutter. The Mission people told me I needed processing. And, they would enforce that by doing something or saying something to ARCX me every time I came into the Mission. My auditing time was consumed with addressing these ARC breaks.

Within the next year, my son was in two fires requiring medical attention, one with second and third degree burns to his face and head. A few months later, he was dead. :omg:

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/3596986.html

To be continued...

The Mission Holder/ED invited us down to take a look at the place. I didn’t know what it was back then, but I later learned that during the trip in the car he had told us OT-3 material. My son got an immediate fever and broke out with measles. That was peculiar because my son had already had the measles. We stopped for emergency medical treatment and they gave us stuff to get his fever down.

That night my son was lying in bed when he started screaming. I was sitting downstairs in this rickety old place. His entire body was on fire like he had been burnt. Having no other solution I put him in ice. I got his fever down below 101. I put him on the couch by my side for the rest of the night. I went to the kitchen to get the fever breaking medication. I walked back into the room where my son was lying down. Don Hill was there telling my unconscious son that he was in the wrong body to do what he wanted to do this life.

I asked Don Hill what was going on. He said, “Nothing.” I told him that we had to head back to Omaha in the morning so my son could be with his regular doctor.

Within the next year, my son was in two fires requiring medical attention, one with second and third degree burns to his face and head. A few months later, he was dead. :omg: ...

????????

The implication in this story appears to be that somehow prematurely hearing about ot iii material caused a young boy to get the measles, be a victim of two fires, and ultimately die. Is this what your friend genuinely believes?

Mark A. Baker

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
????????

The implication in this story appears to be that somehow prematurely hearing about ot iii material caused a young boy to get the measles, be a victim of two fires, and ultimately die. Is this what your friend genuinely believes?

Mark A. Baker

There is no belief about it. The murder is an unresolved mystery, the BPC on which has long since been resolved. After 30+ years there no hope in resolving the case in a legal sense even though the case has remained open, and someone was recently assigned to follow up.

Life goes on.

The point of this back story is wacky scientology--how weird does it get? You would recognize that feeding OT-3 material to someone is a definite no-no in scio-world.

More to follow.

very interesting

very, very interesting.

1975 was BY FAR the weirdest year of my life. and anyone anywhere who has ever known me at any other time in my 61 years knows weird people stand beside me just to look normal.

in 1978 in ardmore mystic told me 1975 was a VERY weird year for many people in CoS.

and i was mostly in new york in 1975 and some very weird things were happning to many people kathy and i knew there.

and in the mid-90's i had a regular customer in my cab in boston who was FBI in 1975 who was telling me 1975 was a very weird year.

anybody else have an exceptionally weird year in 1975?

Last edited:

FoTi

Crusader
There is no belief about it. The murder is an unresolved mystery, the BPC on which has long since been resolved. After 30+ years there no hope in resolving the case in a legal sense even though the case has remained open, and someone was recently assigned to follow up.

Life goes on.

The point of this back story is wacky scientology--how weird does it get? You would recognize that feeding OT-3 material to someone is a definite no-no in scio-world.

More to follow.

:omg: Her son was murdered? After being in two fires?

Hatshepsut

Crusader
1975 was a weird year for me in Scientology too.

I think many people had come out of the psychedelic 60's but were not quite out. That tended to be an era where people were dying to open up to inner and outer influences of the mind.
We had a serial killer dumping bodies of young women in the Orange groves around Disney. We had an ED and D of P who bedded all the married females in the mission. It was almost a cult indoctrination.

This thing about hinting and leaking the OT III materials is common. The heads up is WHY? It's not always ego or prestige. Sometimes its just where that persons attention is. Bad news, especially if their case is screwy because the 60s were rough.

I remember in1975 how we were being persuaded to sell off property because the world only had 5 yrs left. Sicko.

The sexual and financial weirdness was rampant when I arrived in the winter of 1974 at the mission.
It was weird to have Flag springing up 70 miles to the south and to know our finances would be looked into. Gee when hippies become the GO. Weird.

I have had the spontaneous combustion thing terrorize me out of the blue after leaving off III. I got accidentally burned a lot when I had a bad restim. The iron, the stove, the car, the cigarette lighter, it went on for a year. I had a lot of mild burns on my skin from accidental contact with things. I kept getting injured. I did not put any significance on it. The imagery turning on was unique to me. But today I would spot it as a freewheel. I slipped down a flight of 25 stairs. My car did a donut in the middle of the freeway during a sudden stop in the rain on a Fri rush hour. A gun in my hand went off just missing my brain by less than an inch during this time. My heels would snap off my shoes throwing me into danger. This went away...but it all happened around the time of the OT III or whatever the autorun was.
Funny, I did not feel PTS but I did feel the precondition of extreme danger.

Today I would not discount checking out WHO you may have made contact with recent to the enturbulation. We have so many automaticities below our level of consciousness.

Last edited:

FoTi

Crusader
Jay Durnil?

So....being exposed to OT III materials could cause all of those things to happen to him?

lkwdblds

Crusader
Just dropping in to see the new thread

Just saying hello. I read the OP and the link. Foul play seems to have occurred, including the murder of a youth. The primary motivation appears to have been to get someone's stats up. Intentionally getting someone ill so they would need auditing is about as low and creepy as anything can possibly get. There's not much more to be said.

It is sad that no one was ever brought to justice for this crime. Maybe, as a group of readers, we can give some closure to this tragic story.

1975 was not a weird year for me. I had paid off my Freeloaders debt in 1974 and got on course at CCLA and reconnected with all of my old friends there. I began my second year in my Dad's construction business in 1975.

Late in the year, around September, I met a young woman, 22, while I was 35. We dated for 3 months, 4 or 5 nights a week and got engaged. She was a Born Again Christian and was very skeptical of Scientology. I was about to pay $800 to AOLA for OT3 and she had a fit. She said that we would need that money to start a household and gave me an ultimatum; either give up Scientology or give her up. I was so entrenched in Scn and wanted desparately to find out what OT 3 was all about so I reluctantly gave her up.
Aside from that episode, my year was normal.
Lakey

RogerB

Crusader
Shit!!

There are some evil mad dogs in the world. So sad to have to deal with this kind of crap . . .

R

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am posting for a friend of mine, Wanda Novak. This is her story. Her web site is <http://www.neversaycant.net>. There is nothing about Scientology on the web site; there is no mention of Scientology in her book, Never Say Can't: Memoir of a Successful Woman.

The book is not meant for Scientology people, but some former scios have read it. This series of postings make up the "back story," of interest to ex-scios, of no interest to others.

I encouraged Wanda to write it because it ties in with Face's story and some others. Wanda's story is what was happening to her as an "upstat" public while all the other craziness was happening elsewhere. Some day a compiler can put this all together to show what a nut case of a manager Hubbard was.

No doubt you will have questions. I will try to have these answered as the postings progress.

Here is the first installment:

It was late 1974, close to Christmas when my story begins.

Before I had any involvement in Scientology, I was kind of halfway dating a DJ whose career was on the rise having moved from WOW AM radio in Omaha, NB to a large, powerful station in Minneapolis. I was the first woman to sell advertising time in the television market. At the time I was concerned about my sales skills. The DJ told me about the Church of Scientology, specifically, “They have this communications course, and it would just be dynamite for you in sales.” He said, “It’s really cheap and you can get it done in a week of evening classes.”

I said, “Okay, I’ll give it a go.” I looked in the telephone book, and I’ll be damned, but it wasn’t a block from the TV station where I worked. I went down there, and I took their silly little test. The [Mission Holder’s] owner’s son-in-law asked, “Have you ever taken this test before--or a test like it?” I said, “No. I don’t think so.” He said, “I don’t understand it because you are at the top of every category.”

I asked, “Is that bad?” He said, “No. We’ve just never had anyone come in with that high of a score in all the subjects.” I said, “Look, I don’t care about scores or any of that. I just heard that you have a really good communications course, and I want to take it.” He said, “You have to do this evaluation first.” I told him I don’t want to fool around. I want to take the course. When does it start?” I think it was $75 and they started every Monday.

The course drug on for over a month. During that time they talked me into processing. At the same time they let my 10-year old son work in the back in their library. We talked over my son getting processing along with me getting processing.

The Mission, led by the Mission Holder/ED, had a big survival kick going on. He had a place down in Missouri that he had purchased for peanuts. He was getting everybody to buy into it because “the world was coming to an end.” As the world came to an end they would be down there for a while then they would return and “take over” Omaha. Taking none of it too seriously, I kind of laughed at the whole idea.

After that I started having dreams that were like a movie where the reel had skipped a cog going flutter, flutter, flutter. The Mission people told me I needed processing. And, they would enforce that by doing something or saying something to ARCX me every time I came into the Mission. My auditing time was consumed with addressing these ARC breaks.

Within the next year, my son was in two fires requiring medical attention, one with second and third degree burns to his face and head. A few months later, he was dead. :omg:

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/3596986.html

To be continued...

There is nothing more vile than harming children but almost as vile is the harming of a mother. I cannot fathom how it would feel to lose a child, let alone under these circumstances. My oldest brother's 18 year old son was killed in a traffic accident...my brother just lives with it, he'll never get over it.

By the way, 1975 El Ron thought a world wide economic collapse was coming...at least that's what he said in a Highly Confidential, "Flag Only" COLRHED. The FLB was set up ostensibly to make enough dough to support all of the orgs when the collapse came.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=556576&postcount=3

Face:)

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
There is nothing more vile than harming children but almost as vile is the harming of a mother. I cannot fathom how it would feel to lose a child, let alone under these circumstances. My oldest brother's 18 year old son was killed in a traffic accident...my brother just lives with it, he'll never get over it.

By the way, 1975 El Ron thought a world wide economic collapse was coming...at least that's what he said in a Highly Confidential, "Flag Only" COLRHED. The FLB was set up ostensibly to make enough dough to support all of the orgs when the collapse came.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=556576&postcount=3

Face:)

Yes, this was rumored at the time to all us peons in the field not privy to confidential Source-spew.

In the early '80s it was rumored that the real reason for ideal org church property was so there would be room to house the staffs during said social collapse.

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
Part 2

Wanda's story, next installment. My notes in brackets [...]:

I fiddled around at the Mission doing Life Repair and the Drug Rundown. They wanted me to do my Grades there, too. I received a tech estimate of 135 hours.

JB [name withheld] was kind of an on-again/off-again Scientologist who frequented Los Angeles for services. The Mission Holder, Don Hill, hated JB. Hill sent me down to JB’s corporate office to spy on him under the pretense of selling him advertising for his area businesses. I didn’t like the idea of spying--still don’t. After I met JB and his wife they became really good friends, and they remain so to this day. I never reported anything on them because there wasn’t anything to report.

I started having dreams that were like a movie where the reel had skipped a cog going flutter, flutter, flutter. The Mission people told me I needed processing. I was agreeable. But they would do something or say something to ARCX me every time I came into the Mission. I was arriving for processing. When I walked in the door someone would say something like, “You shouldn’t be here. You don’t know anything,” or “You’ve been to college. You’re stupid.” I’d go, “What is it with these people?!” I’d say something to my processor like, “Why would somebody say that to me?” “Oh, you’ve got an ARC break.” Then we’d spend an hour addressing ARC breaks. But today that’s neither here nor there.

I didn’t know the tech. I still don’t. Well, maybe a little, but not much. So the treatment I received at the Mission is why I went to Flag. Flag Class 12 auditing was $750 an hour, but it was cheaper in the long run. I was treated very nice at Flag. I received everything that I wanted.

My son died in the Spring of ’76. By the Fall all that was settled. It was then that Flag gave me a call asking me to come down. They gave me a tech estimate of 37.5 hours. Of that 37.5 I used only 32 hours. When I arrived back in Omaha, I heard the Mission Holder [Don Hill] speak at a group meeting. He was telling them that my Grades were Quickie Grades. Later Hill’s wife told me that he, himself, had received Quickie Grades at at a Mission somewhere before they came to Omaha. [Ed. note: This is a Scientology aberration, talking about others behind their backs and case evaluation.] My Grades have been stellar. I have had no problem with any of the End Phenomena on each Grade. In fact, I have no problems that are not rapidly resolved. The people at Omaha said my Grades were Quickie, but I thought they were really good.

After the treatment I received at Flag I wouldn’t go anyplace else.

When I first arrived, Flag started routing me in. I thought that was the biggest bunch of nonsense in the world. At the registrar’s office I said, “I don’t have time for this Mickey Mouse stuff. I have to leave here New Year’s Eve Day. I want to have the Grades done by then. You do whatever you have to. I can sit in the chair for as long as you want me to.” So I never routed in. I just went right into the chair. They had me done before they said they would. It turned out that I didn’t officially route in until my OT Levels. Boy, did I get scolded for not routing in previously.

The control factor was worse for Nathan, my husband, when he was there. If he was on course and wanted to take a smoke break, he’d just go out and take a break. Of course the supervisor would come out to tell him, “You can’t do this. You can only do this on break.” Nathan would assert he needed a cigarette NOW. “Oh, okay.” And I just thought that was so funny how he’d get by with that. But that was Nathan. He had his priorities and I had mine. I wanted to get through and get out of there.

I was very pleased with my Grades. The information from them continues to work for me today. I obtained the reality out of it that I wanted. That processing was good for me. On my next return I came down to do R6EW. Also, they Quaded my Drug Rundown, the one they did on Omaha. They Quaded everything at Flag with me. [Putting in F0, Quad flows on all processes run, was SOP in Scientology at that time.]

So I did the repair or cleaning up of the Drug Rundown at that time, and I did the setups for R6EW and the OT levels. I think. I quit my job to go down to Flag for 4 weeks. I think I ended up being there 2 months. I managed to complete through OT-7 [original OT-7].

I believe it was after the Grades that I did L-11, L-10, and L-12 in that order. On L-11 I probably had the biggest release of anything I ever did in Scientology. In comparison, I couldn’t get over L-10. They asked me the same question over and over and over again. Murray Chopping was my processor the whole time I was there. He was a Class 12. He was from Australia, the sweetest, nicest guy. He even came in on his day off when I was in a bunch of mud on L-11. I really appreciated that. And like I said, that was a really incredible release. I think Murray enjoyed the release as much as I did.  I often wonder where he is now as he was trained by Hubbard, dedicated to the Cause of Clearing the Planet, delivering what the pc needed and wanted, and certainly celebrating the win along with you.

Then we did L-10, and then L-12. L-12 didn’t take much time at all. When they came out with NOTs I thought it was just a glorified or expanded L-12. I’m sorry. That’s the way I see it. And I think I probably said that to someone at the time. My point of view, L-12 was supposed to be “cause over life.” I had a wonderful release on that process. Then they came out with NOTs which was also “cause over life.” I guess they thought no one would be there for both.

They just wouldn’t let me quit NOTs. They gave me a tech estimate of 37.5 hours. [typical in those early days of NOTs] I went totally exterior in 9 hours. Did I say exterior? In fact, the entire universe disappeared for me. And that’s odd when you are at the 7th floor of the Ft. Harrison. The auditor communication to me while that was going on was a tremendous shock. [Not Murray Chopping] For 5 days they couldn’t get me back in session. I considered NOTs over with, but they wouldn’t quit.

They would get me back in session for three hours. I crashed and burned. Then they would repair me for 10 hours and send me home. I considered NOTs over then, but they wouldn’t quit. I’d come back to finish up NOTs. After 3 hours I’d crash and burn. They’d shore me up and send me back home. I had started reading the books while at home. The third time back I asked, “Do you think that what’s happening here could be an overrun?” The reply was, “Oh, no. We have this many questions and we have to do it this way.”​

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
Questions for Wanda

Question: Did you not feel this scientology thing was more than a bit odd after the trip to Missouri and after Don Hill was messing with Jay? 

Yes, but I thought there was something wrong with my thinking. He was so well trained and I knew nothing. I guess I thought there was something wrong with me.​

Considering the abuse, what made you stay? 

I really didn’t know there was any place else that I could go check out. I thought they had information and technology that wasn’t available anywhere else. I wanted to know more than my competitors or other sales people. I wanted to be the best at whatever I did. I thought if I were the best, Jay and I would have a better life and at one point he would be trained and have all the information for his well being.​

Damn. That could easily have been my answer as to why I stayed. :omg:

This is a good point to introduce this video. Think for yourself. Reject authority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA8FCaxBJVg