What's new

The Overboard Ceremony

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
I suppose there has already been somer stuff written about this, but I thought I would fill in some of the early details.

We were in Corfu, autumn of 1968.

Sitting in Diana's office with Hana, Hubbard came by. He was quite chatty and looking forward to the forthcoming Class 8 course. During the conversation he said " Well, whenever they flunk a session, we will throw them overboard". We all laughed, but Hubbard never laughed with his eyes. It leftm us with a question mark over the statement. Was he kidding? Or was he serious?.

Funnily enough, in the same conversation, I remarked about some members of the public simply joining staff to get free processing and training and then leaving. I caller them Freeloaders. Hubbard said that was a good way of describing them and he would use it.

Sorry, folks!

Anyway, the Class 8 course had 3 MAA's, Craig DeFan, Ollie Budlong and Rod Taunton. They were photographed and features in an Auditor edition at that time.

The students, having been summoned to the ship were in a range of emotion from indifference to outright terror. They were made to wear bright green overalls, brown open toed sandals and had to wear a running noose around their neck.

As an indication of how cowed down they were, an old friend from St Hill, Fred Fairchild - he had come from Dertoit Org, had a beard. I happened to remark that I thought he looked much better without the beard. The next morning he came down clean shaven. I asked what had happened to the beard. He thought that my friendly and innocent enquiry was an instruction, so he had shaved it off.

The MAA's went right into the Nazi identity. The next morning all the students were mustered on the aft well deck. A name was called and the person stepped forward and told he/or she had flunked a session. They were bodily picked up and thrown over the side. It was about 30ft drop into the harbour.

A mantra was shouted " We commit your errors to the deep and trust you will arise a better person."

Whilst the overboard ceremony was going on, Hubbard was two decks up redording the incident on his cine camera.

The same ceremony was applied to the staff as well, usually for some (henious) transgression soch as ordering some equipment without FP approval.

Along the side of the ship was a rubbing strake. The person had to be thrown out sufficiently far as to avoid it, or it could easily result in death.

There was a rule, If the overboardee touched the side of the ship on the way down, the Officer in charge of the ceremony immediately got thrown overboard too. Therefore you tried to hit out with your hand or foot so you could get that bastard thrown over as well.

There were degrees of overboard. Firstly there was simple overboard. Then we had overboard blindfolded, there was overboard with either feet or hands tied. The most extreme was being tied and blindfolded going overboard.

It didn't matter if you could swim or not. You were screamed at to "make things go right". You made your way along the side of the ship and clambered in through the cattle door at the side.

I have seen people in absolute terror, panicking in the water. On a couple of occasions we defied the MAA's and dived in to rescue the person. The punishment was a double overboard, one after the other.

The most disorienting one I had was being thrown over blindfolded. You could not accurately anticipate the moment of impact.

And of course, Hubbard was up there, every morning watching and more often than not cine recording it.

When the class 8 course finished, the students returned to their various orgs. They adapted the overboard ceremony according to local conditions. This could be immersing them in a cold bath to putting their head down the toilet and flushing it. Students had to wear green vests and a rope noose.

Once the students had departed, Hubbard got really vicious with the overboards. John MacMaster, the first clear and a real international celebrity was on the ship. Hubbard clearly saw him as a threat to his own self-importance. John was a charasmatic speaker. He could talk about affinity to a whole theatre of people and there would not be a dry eye in the house. John was a superb auditor and was responsible for the development of Power Processing.

The problem was that John was gay. Hubbard had an absolute loathing for any homosexual man or woman (or coloured person in fact) and set out to destroy John.He assigned John as a galley hand, clearing up the aftermess etc. He has John thrown overboard blindfolded and his feet tied together, on more than one occasion.

More than one of us have heard Hubbard say" I hope the damn faggot drowns"
as John went over the side. I spoke with John years later, before he passed away. He bore Hubbard no grudge for the inhumane way he was treated.

I trust that this fills in some gaps for you on what you might have heard about these events.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I suppose there has already been somer stuff written about this, but I thought I would fill in some of the early details.

We were in Corfu, autumn of 1968.

Sitting in Diana's office with Hana, Hubbard came by. He was quite chatty and looking forward to the forthcoming Class 8 course. During the conversation he said " Well, whenever they flunk a session, we will throw them overboard". We all laughed, but Hubbard never laughed with his eyes. It leftm us with a question mark over the statement. Was he kidding? Or was he serious?.

Funnily enough, in the same conversation, I remarked about some members of the public simply joining staff to get free processing and training and then leaving. I caller them Freeloaders. Hubbard said that was a good way of describing them and he would use it.

Sorry, folks!

Anyway, the Class 8 course had 3 MAA's, Craig DeFan, Ollie Budlong and Rod Taunton. They were photographed and features in an Auditor edition at that time.

The students, having been summoned to the ship were in a range of emotion from indifference to outright terror. They were made to wear bright green overalls, brown open toed sandals and had to wear a running noose around their neck.

As an indication of how cowed down they were, an old friend from St Hill, Fred Fairchild - he had come from Dertoit Org, had a beard. I happened to remark that I thought he looked much better without the beard. The next morning he came down clean shaven. I asked what had happened to the beard. He thought that my friendly and innocent enquiry was an instruction, so he had shaved it off.

The MAA's went right into the Nazi identity. The next morning all the students were mustered on the aft well deck. A name was called and the person stepped forward and told he/or she had flunked a session. They were bodily picked up and thrown over the side. It was about 30ft drop into the harbour.

A mantra was shouted " We commit your errors to the deep and trust you will arise a better person."

Whilst the overboard ceremony was going on, Hubbard was two decks up redording the incident on his cine camera.

The same ceremony was applied to the staff as well, usually for some (henious) transgression soch as ordering some equipment without FP approval.

Along the side of the ship was a rubbing strake. The person had to be thrown out sufficiently far as to avoid it, or it could easily result in death.

There was a rule, If the overboardee touched the side of the ship on the way down, the Officer in charge of the ceremony immediately got thrown overboard too. Therefore you tried to hit out with your hand or foot so you could get that bastard thrown over as well.

There were degrees of overboard. Firstly there was simple overboard. Then we had overboard blindfolded, there was overboard with either feet or hands tied. The most extreme was being tied and blindfolded going overboard.

It didn't matter if you could swim or not. You were screamed at to "make things go right". You made your way along the side of the ship and clambered in through the cattle door at the side.

I have seen people in absolute terror, panicking in the water. On a couple of occasions we defied the MAA's and dived in to rescue the person. The punishment was a double overboard, one after the other.

The most disorienting one I had was being thrown over blindfolded. You could not accurately anticipate the moment of impact.

And of course, Hubbard was up there, every morning watching and more often than not cine recording it.

When the class 8 course finished, the students returned to their various orgs. They adapted the overboard ceremony according to local conditions. This could be immersing them in a cold bath to putting their head down the toilet and flushing it. Students had to wear green vests and a rope noose.

Once the students had departed, Hubbard got really vicious with the overboards. John MacMaster, the first clear and a real international celebrity was on the ship. Hubbard clearly saw him as a threat to his own self-importance. John was a charasmatic speaker. He could talk about affinity to a whole theatre of people and there would not be a dry eye in the house. John was a superb auditor and was responsible for the development of Power Processing.

The problem was that John was gay. Hubbard had an absolute loathing for any homosexual man or woman (or coloured person in fact) and set out to destroy John.He assigned John as a galley hand, clearing up the aftermess etc. He has John thrown overboard blindfolded and his feet tied together, on more than one occasion.

as John went over the side. I spoke with John years later, before he passed away. He bore Hubbard no grudge for the inhumane way he was treated.

I trust that this fills in some gaps for you on what you might have heard about these events.

Unbelievable!

Thanks, DSM!

May everyone in the world know the majesty of L Ron Hubbard.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Unbelievable!

Thanks, DSM!

May everyone in the world know the majesty of L Ron Hubbard.

This is the man and his works, that claims can free mandkind and bring about a new state of beingness where nothing can strike one down?

:carryon: :carryon: :carryon:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
There was an even more sadistic premeditated plan - LRH made sure the persons best friend or spouse was one of the people who helped throw the person overboard! :grouch:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
And this is supposed to be the face of the "savior" of humanity :puke:

I think it must have been luck alone that prevented any deaths. I have read there were some serious injuries.

I'm not a good swimmer myself, but I certainly would have started out for the shore rather than get back on board.

I also remember that Diana loved to order overboards.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Sheesh. How can you people *judge* them? They were OTs! Enlightened Beings! Doing what they did for the good of Humanity!

Who are we to judge?

Zinj

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Sheesh. How can you people *judge* them? They were OTs! Enlightened Beings! Doing what they did for the good of Humanity!

Who are we to judge?

Zinj

Of course!!

Every group working to save the planet should have every right to throw people overboard, send them to RPF (prison camp) for years, separate families, push abortion, ruin the lives of anyone who dare speak out about them and drive people to suicide.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
There was an even more sadistic premeditated plan - LRH made sure the persons best friend or spouse was one of the people who helped throw the person overboard! :grouch:

That way, he could break up any loyalty that was there and tie it to Scientology.

He waged an onslaught against a Scientologist who would have another loyalty to someone other than he.

L Ron Hubbard: "Mankind's Greatest Friend"

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Of course!!

Every group working to save the planet should have every right to throw people overboard, send them to RPF (prison camp) for years, separate families, push abortion, ruin the lives of anyone who dare speak out about them and drive people to suicide.

Them's the 'Ethics' :)

Zinj

Sharone Stainforth

Were these the people that threw the students over board Allen?

I ask because I remember mainly Jan Erikson and David Englehart doing the tossing over the side of the so called miscreants.I particularly remember David because he used to wear white trousers,no one else on the ship did.
There was also another guy but i don't remember his name.

Its probably all in the timing,people came and went and i'm hopeless at getting exact times right.It was a long time ago.

Tamasin

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron

I never saw them directly throw anyone overboard Craig and Rod were Class VIII C/Ss so they ordered with LRHs permission who should be thrown overboard.

I ask because I remember mainly Jan Erikson and David Englehart doing the tossing over the side of the so called miscreants.I particularly remember David because he used to wear white trousers,no one else on the ship did.

Its probably all in the timing, people came and went and i'm hopeless at getting exact times right.

It was a long time ago.

Tamasin

40 years ago this year! :omg:

Alan

Sharone Stainforth

John Mcmasters was a very nice and kind man.

He bore Hubbard no grudge for the inhumane way he was treated.

I think this shows what a wonderful human being he was.

I could take a leaf out of his book and bear no grudge to Hubbard and Scientology,but while they still to this day follow Hubbards inhumane policies and for all the "John McMasters" in the world, including my own Dad, i have no intention of forgiving in the near future.

If this makes me a bad human being,then so be it.

Tamasin

DartSmohen

Its probably all in the timing,people came and went and i'm hopeless at getting exact times right.It was a long time ago.

Tamasin

I don't remember Dave Engleheart be4ing on the ship in Corfu. I went ashore in January 1969, so he may have arrived after I departed. Of course, he may have been involved when the ship went to North Africa.

The 3rd mate was Joran Robertson. Is this who you were referring to?

Sharone Stainforth

I don't remember Dave Engleheart be4ing on the ship in Corfu. I went ashore in January 1969, so he may have arrived after I departed. Of course, he may have been involved when the ship went to North Africa.

Dave Engleheart just appeared one day,i have a feeling he was there when i left.That was in June 69. I didn't like him.
By that time i didn't trust anyone at all,including my best friend.
I think that tells you the amount of stress and fear i felt then.
In the words of Jan Erikson at Abellund "It had gotten crazy on the ship".

I particularly disliked anything to do with keeping Ethics in.It was a very harsh regime.

Jans Erikson liked doing what he did.He would march around the decks eyeing every body for tell tale signs of out ethics.Not much went past his scrutiny.When he saluted the Commadore his heels would click,he took his Hat very seriously.I was terrified of him,and avoided him like the plague.Like the Commadore himself i think he got great pleasure throwing people over the side.

Tamasin
The 3rd mate was Joran Robertson. Is this who you were referring to?

Not sure about him,however there was someone called Joran.

Sharone Stainforth

Incredible isn't it that something that happened so long ago could come back and causes so much pain so long after the event.

I am doing much better now though,talking about it really does help. I'm finding i can discuss it with more people all the time. People are astonished that such things could go on, and even worse still do.

What does surprise me is how many people have never heard of Scientology.
Learning all the time.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

Incredible isn't it that something that happened so long ago could come back and causes so much pain so long after the event.

I am doing much better now though,talking about it really does help. I'm finding i can discuss it with more people all the time. People are astonished that such things could go on, and even worse still do.

What does surprise me is how many people have never heard of Scientology.
Learning all the time.

Tamasin, I think it's terrific you can talk to others who were there. :grouphug:

Sharone Stainforth

There are times when I wish this applied to me. :(

If it makes you feel any better Royal Prince Xenu,I have always wished i had never heard of Scientology but unfortunately i had no option.
I was thrown in at the deep end,fortunately i have struggled to the surface.

Scientology is not a religion,it is a Cult.

Tamasin

ozzie

Patron with Honors
Tamasin it wasn't Dave Englehart. He was not there till the 70s. He was a very tall strapping young man that ended up marryin g Nikki Freedman but that wasn't till the 70s. He arrived after I did and that was 71.
The overboardings were practically done with in 71 - I think maybe one or two more at that time so he definitely was not involved.

Ozzie