What's new

The People's Choice (of those who voted)

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ok, the Village Voice very kindly let each person who wanted to put in their vote for who they thought should be the Top 25 people Crippling the Church of $cientogy.
This is different than Tony's list...this was culled from all the people who sent in their votes: the people's choice, so to speak. Here's the end of the list.....Just click on the bottom pages to more forward to #1. :happydance:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/the_top_25_peop.php

Congratulations to ALL who did make it onto the list!

I would like to add this: Many people either did not make it on this list, who should be, or are farther back than they should be. As I told one of my dear friends, who has worked his ASS off for many, many years helping expose this insidious CULT (and he's on it--but farther back that should be, imnsho)---"You KNOW what you've done. No list can change that". The Key, for me, is looking at ALL the people who HAVE done amazing things...and also all those who were not mentioned, who most certainly should be....and seeing how amazingly far we have come in this! C of $ is folding, hourly. That IS not because of any list...but because of what each and every person, around the world, does daily to expose this insidious CULT of $cientology and the abuses.

If you think of people who were not on that list, who you feel should be, please just add their names, here. We ALL are crushing C of $, together. :yes::omg:

The first one I can think of who I think should be on the list...who is not, and sadly
has passed on is Robert Vaughn Young. ((Good news! He IS part of the many in #14. Not sure if he was added, or I just missed him, but he's there! :)
An amazing man, I'll thank him forever for all the help he gave me right after I escaped out.
You can Google his name and read tons of articles he has written about Scientology, back when he was "in", and also when he got out.

Also, is Dr. Dave Touretzky on any of the lists? If not..he, too, should be.
Many of the critics who tirelessly posted on ARS in those beginning years...they should have a HUGE acknowledgement for ALL that they did, collectively and individually. It was their tireless work that led to OSA trying to literally "Cancel" ARS, and *that* one action created an army of critics, around the world.
That's a start. :biggrin:

As I've said for over 10 years now: Davey boy: Tick Tock, Tick Tock...
Time is on **our** side!
We may disagree---but for me, that is one of THE greatest joys of being out
of that organization: WE CAN DISAGREE! We can say "Fuck you"..and not be
"Written up". :hysterical:

I love you ALL :bighug:

Tory/Magoo~~ Still Dancin in the Moonlight!
www.youtube.com/ToryMagoo44

PS: To those who voted for me (#11) :thankyou: very, very much!

Last edited:

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Come on you guys--you can't think of
ANY others that should be on the list, or you just don't like
this post?

I can delete it. Let me know..>I thought you'd like to see it.

:rose:

TLC

hartley

Patron with Honors
It's an American orientated list of course, so I'll speak up for

Roger Gonnet, who has pretty much on his own kept the Church on its toes in France for many years.

Dave Bird, who mustered his ARSCC(UK) minions onto the streets doing regular protests for a decade. Picketing with Dave was FUN, he would have been delighted to see Anonymous taking the same attitude.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Also, is Dr. Dave Touretzky on any of the lists?

Yes, Tony had him on HIS Top 25 list at #24
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/david_touretzky_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

When I first heard that we were each going to be able to vote for our own Top 25 List I was excited, and then when I sat down to do it I quickly realized that I wasn't familiar enough with all the individuals work or their impact on Scientology to be able to assemble a list where I could evaluate where someone should be on the list. So I didn't bother doing one for that reason.

I definitely am appreciative of ALL who were on the list and any others such as RVY who may have got left off for all they have done.

Congratulations on being voted #11 Tory! :happydance:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I think it is an accomplishment that so many have done so much for so long that it gets hard to remember all of them at once.

One of things I enjoy seeing is people here doing really good work on bringing the cult down now that back when they were still in were screaming at me for being with " the enemy"

Slowly but surely and more and more we see their stalwarts coming over to our side.

Congratulations to ALL who helped !

auntpat

Patron with Honors
Yes, TORY, The name I did not find on either list is David Love. He is a canadian who has been researching Narconon and Scientology and will not be stopped until both are shut down. He is one of my heros.

Love & Light,
Aunt Pat

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Roger Gonnet, who has pretty much on his own kept the Church on its toes in France for many years.

Dave Bird, who mustered his ARSCC(UK) minions onto the streets doing regular protests for a decade. Picketing with Dave was FUN, he would have been delighted to see Anonymous taking the same attitude.
Perfect, Hartley! That's exactly what I wanted people to do
is add to the list. These are two excellent examples!

Also, later I thought of ARS---really they did SOOOOOOOOO much to Cripple
C of $, just as Anonymous--not a group (Same for ARS)..but people who together have kicked some MAJOR ass.

Thanks, Type4_PTS, and Auditor's Toad.....:thumbsup::coolwink:

Love to ALL :rose:

Tory/Magoo

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, TORY, The name I did not find on either list is David Love. He is a canadian who has been researching Narconon and Scientology and will not be stopped until both are shut down. He is one of my heros.

Another great example! Thank you, Aunt Pat, for bringing up David love, and thanks
to DL for all he's done.

Please ...I know you all are thinking of others. Add um on!
:bighug:

Tory/Magoo

PS: Also really ALL of OCMB ..those who have posted facts for YEARS should be added,
and the same for exscn.net. I know Emma was...but without all of you, this board wouldn't exist.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh...the hits just keep on comin! :biggrin:

:)
:ohmy:
:eyeroll:

Makes me feel so bubbly to see that SPs who are trying to destroy Scientology
see the top Scientlogists - leaders - defenders, as their best allies.

:duh:

:p :)

Love to see that as a protest Banner. WE LOVE DAVID MISCAVIGE BECAUSE HE IS DESTROYING SCIENTOLOGY!
I bet that would impinge on the culties "Things I shouldn't be thinking" button!

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Yes, TORY, The name I did not find on either list is David Love.

David is on Tony's Top 25 List in the #14 slot
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/tory_christman_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Here's what is written in that listing:

​Technically speaking, Montreal-resident David Edgar Love is not an ex-Scientologist. But he is an ex-Narconon "patient" and later staff member whose experience illustrates why the line between Scientology and Narconon is not only blurry, but practically non-existent. Love's disillusionment with Narconon grew gradually, first after realizing that most of what Narconon espoused -- such as its claimed relapse rates -- were simply false, and later when he was hired to form a charitable organization in a name other than Narconon which would serve as a Narconon recruiting entity. Once he'd had enough, though, Love became Narconon's -- and therefore Scientology's -- worst nightmare. On July 27, 2011, at Love's prodding, the Quebec College of Physicians formally found that an unnamed doctor working for Narconon was in breach of ethical obligations for "administering treatment not scientifically recognized in current medical literature." Canadian medical professionals are now on notice that providing authoritative cover to pseudoscientific cults can land them in hot water, which spells bad news for Narconon due to Love's efforts (with no small amount of help from Anonymous).

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
O.K. I can think of six who are maybe there and I just missed them;

Bent Corydon~ Who boomed a mission, got keel-hauled in the Mission holders conference revolution (well, figuratively) turned down a HUGE hush money settlement to just turn his property over to the cult and silently skulk away, fought COS legally and WON, researched and wrote "Messiah or Madman?", back when being a SP could get you killed!, and now flourishes and thrives while free of Scientology!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard:_Messiah_or_Madman?

Ron's son Nibs, who tried to tell the truth about his Dad and the cult, and had the misfortune to be L. Ron Hubbard Jr. May he be at peace at last.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_DeWolf

Mick Wenlock~ for creating and maintaining the Ex Sea Org website, as well as helping and counseling others in recovery from their cult experience.

Chuck Beatty~ for being so willing to help recently out Exes and for assisting scholars to research the cult.

Robert Vaughn Young should be on the list, and also Stacey Young.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Sweetness,
Most of those individuals were named in the "Top 25 List":

Chuck Beatty (#14 slot)
Chuck Beatty spent 27 years in Scientology, but an incredible seven of those years -- from 1996 to 2003 -- in the RPF, the Sea Org's notorious prison detail, before finally departing and then becoming one of the church's most outspoken critics. An indefatigable researcher, Beatty eagerly helps journalists gathering information about Scientology, which is why he showed up in Janet Reitman's Rolling Stone article that became the basis for her book, Inside Scientology. Also, he's a hoot. As he boasted to me recently, he'll challenge anyone to beat him on his knowledge of Hubbard's policies like he was talking about taking on all comers in an arm-wrestling match.

Robert Vaughn Young (#14 slot)
Robert Vaughn Young died in 2003 of cancer, but not before he labored, through his illness, to produce devastating information that was intended to challenge Scientology's tax exempt status in a court hearing. For years, after his 20 years in the church, RVY had been a willing expert witness in litigation against Scientology. In 2002, he produced an affidavit in the Wollersheim matter that, he and Wollersheim's attorneys believed, would have jeopardized Scientology's 1993 tax-exempt agreement with the government. The very morning that evidence was to be heard in open court, Scientology cut a check for nearly $9 million to end the case and keep Young's affidavit from being presented.

Bent Corydon (#14 slot)
Bent Corydon was one of the "mission holders" -- somewhat independent operators in Scientology's original structure, something like franchise owners of a fast food chain -- when, in an infamous meeting in October, 1982, the mission holders were terrorized by a diminutive Sea Org commander named David Miscavige, who made it clear that their independence was now a thing of the past. A few years later, in 1987, Corydon, with help from L. Ron Hubbard Jr. (now calling himself Ron DeWolf), produced an unauthorized biography of the recently deceased Hubbard Sr. that the church fought strenuously to prevent from ever seeing the light of day. As Chuck Beatty has commented, L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman? is particularly good for its richness on Hubbard's life in the 1940s and 1950s, as Dianetics and Scientology were first being developed and began to take off.

Nibs is in the #22 slot (along with HIS grandson, Jamie DeWolf)
​Jamie DeWolf's maternal grandfather, Ron DeWolf, was born L. Ron Hubbard, Jr. -- but was called "Nibs" by the family. He was the son of L. Ron Hubbard, Sr. and his first wife, Margaret Grubb. (Hubbard's first two wives, Margaret Grubb and Sara Hollister, have essentially been written out of existence by Scientology, perhaps in part because Hubbard was married to both of them at the same time at one point. Oops.)
Hubbard groomed Nibs as his successor, but by the late 1950s L. Ron Jr. had had enough of Scientology and bolted. His father then turned his back on him.
​In 1982, convinced that his father was dead (Hubbard had gone into hiding), he sued for control of his father's estate. By then he'd dropped his father's name and had become "Ron DeWolf."
Marty Rathbun recently told me that Ron DeWolf's probate case was the second-worst publicity nightmare in Scientology's history, only behind the fallout from the 1977 FBI raids that busted up "Operation Snow White" -- the church's widespread infiltration of government offices.

In 1983, DeWolf gave what is still an interview worth reading, to Penthouse magazine. It contains gems like this: "99% of anything my father ever wrote or said about himself is untrue."

DeWolf's suit was dismissed when Hubbard proved to the court's satisfaction that he was still alive and in control of his faculties. Well, at least for the moment. Hubbard died a few years later, in 1986. DeWolf died in 1991 of diabetes. But not before making quite an impression on his grandson Jamie.

That memory results in a powerful line in the video:

One day my grandfather led me to a bookshelf and showed me volumes of his father's works. He said, "Your mom says you want to be a writer. Well, don't believe everything you read. But believe everything you say."
It's been many years since Ron DeWolf had any kind of presence in the media, and it's remarkable to see his grandson bring him so vividly to life.

After Nibs disappointed him, Hubbard tried to groom another successor in Quentin, the first son of his third wife, Mary Sue Whipp. But young Quentin also struggled with the role his father was trying to impose on him. He may have been gay, a sexual identity that Hubbard considered "1.1" on the "tone scale," which equates to "covertly hostile." (Don't get me started about tone scales and dynamics. The point is, L. Ron considered homosexuals to be perverts, which would have made it tough to be his gay son.) Quentin apparently killed himself in 1976 with carbon monoxide poisoning in Las Vegas at the age of 22.
If you consider Hubbard's bigamy, his failed relationships with his sons, and having his third wife Mary Sue take the fall for Operation Snow White -- she did prison time while he was only an "unindicted co-conspirator" in an infiltration of government offices that had his fingerprints all over it -- L. Ron Hubbard has not shown the sort of mastery over his own family that he promised his technology would do for the rest of the world.

For that reason, we're ranking L. Ron's descendants fairly high on this list. Jamie DeWolf has the opportunity, with his talent for writing and even more talent for delivery, to become a major embarrassment to Scientology, and it sounds like he's just beginning to tap that potential.
There is some more info and pictures in the original Village Voice article as well as Jamie's incredible mind blowing video he made recently! :thumbsup:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/jamie_dewolf_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

As in the examples posted earlier on this thread there are a number of deserving individuals who got left off and/or not properly acknowledged for all they've done.
I believe (but not sure) that Stacey Young and Mick Wenlock are among those left off. When I can I'll go through and post a complete list and post it onto the board. I would recommend making a comment on the appropriate pages or emailing Tony about all those who got left off. :yes:
He can always add an update onto the correct articles.

O.K. I can think of six who are maybe there and I just missed them;

Bent Corydon~ Who boomed a mission, got keel-hauled in the Mission holders conference revolution (well, figuratively) turned down a HUGE hush money settlement to just turn his property over to the cult and silently skulk away, fought COS legally and WON, researched and wrote "Messiah or Madman?", back when being a SP could get you killed!, and now flourishes and thrives while free of Scientology!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard:_Messiah_or_Madman?

Ron's son Nibs, who tried to tell the truth about his Dad and the cult, and had the misfortune to be L. Ron Hubbard Jr. May he be at peace at last.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_DeWolf

Mick Wenlock~ for creating and maintaining the Ex Sea Org website, as well as helping and counseling others in recovery from their cult experience.

Chuck Beatty~ for being so willing to help recently out Exes and for assisting scholars to research the cult.

Robert Vaughn Young should be on the list, and also Stacey Young.

Thank You honey, I stand corrected! :happydance:

Can I also add Ida Camburn and Nan McClean? :rose: :heartflower: :rose:

Were the Anons thanked as a group for their efforts?

Some have been more outspoken than others, but all have contributed to the effort to free people and get ethics in on the cult.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Thank You honey, I stand corrected! :happydance:

Can I also add Ida Camburn and Nan McClean? :rose: :heartflower: :rose:

Were the Anons thanked as a group for their efforts?

Some have been more outspoken than others, but all have contributed to the effort to free people and get ethics in on the cult.

Ida Camburn is in the #15 slot
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runni..._heldal-lund_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Anonymous is in the #6 slot
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/anonymous_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Nan McLean isn't specifically on the list but Tony does acknowledge that there are many more ex-scientologists who have made noise and helped spread the word about Scientology's abuses. And he said: "No doubt, our commenters will remind us of many of them".