What's new

The problem with Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology on Twitter

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
The problem with Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology on Twitter.

The Twitter account Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology -

https://twitter.com/No__Scientology

-- is auto-tweeting and spamming the word Scientology and the hashtag #Scientology on twitter. The result is that it: (1) pushes news, substantive tweets and links off of the page; and (2) deters people from searching for and following the term Scientology on Twitter because frequently all they get is spam. It basically drowns out news.

As of this writing, the Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology account has auto-tweeted 86,700 times. The auto-tweets are less than a minute apart, in batches of 50, for example as follows:

attachment.php

The Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology profile is also telling:

attachment.php

I hate to don the tinfoil, but I honestly think this is a Scientology OSA opp. Those around the anti-Scientology scene in 1990s may recall the Church of Scientology spammed the Usenet Newsgroup alt.religion.scientology (ARS) with pro-Scientology spam in an attempt to render the newsgroup useless. While in the present case the Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology spam tweets are purportedly anti-Scientology, they serve no purpose other than to: (1) push news, substantive tweets and links off of the page; and (2) deter people from searching for and following the term Scientology on Twitter. I think the Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology "anti-Scientology" label and spam content are simply cover. If anything, it makes Anons look bad.

If Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology is not a Scientology OSA opp, but instead really an anon, critic and/or ex, that person's auto-spam tweeting is really not helpful.

Yes, the tweets have been reported as spam to Twitter, to no effect so far. Other such reports may be useful.

Attachments

• DestroyScientology.PNG
    DestroyScientology.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 146
  • DestoryScientologyProfile.jpg
    DestoryScientologyProfile.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 151

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Yep. I remember a Hubbard policy letter where he says one way to stop a comm line is to flood it. There you go.

Paul

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I hate to don the tinfoil, but I honestly think this is a Scientology OSA opp. Those around the anti-Scientology scene in 1990s may recall the Church of Scientology spammed the Usenet Newsgroup alt.religion.scientology (ARS) with pro-Scientology spam in an attempt to render the newsgroup useless. While in the present case the Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology spam tweets are purportedly anti-Scientology,they serve no purpose other than to: (1) push news, substantive tweets and links off of the page; and (2) deter people from searching for and following the term Scientology on Twitter. I think the Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology "anti-Scientology" label and spam content are simply cover. If anything, it makes Anons look bad.

If Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology is not a Scientology OSA opp, but instead really an anon, critic and/or ex, that person's auto-spam tweeting is really not helpful.

Yes, the tweets have been reported as spam to Twitter, to no effect so far. Other such reports may be useful.

What I turned red in your post could serve as #3 in your list, and it IS an objective that CoS has actively worked on in the past.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Yep. I remember a Hubbard policy letter where he says one way to stop a comm line is to flood it. There you go.

I believe this is the one you are referring to:

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex

HCO POLICY LETTER OF 4 FEBRUARY 1961

HCOs Central Orgs TYPES OF LETTERS ESTABLISHED
(Cancels earlier colour system bulletins but not despatch flash colour system)
To facilitate the dissemination of Information several types and appearances of mimeosare hereby established.
There are 5 ways to jam a communication line. (See “How to Live – – ”)
The main one is to flood it.

<snip>

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
good luck on that technique, the world and internet is already flooding with scientology bad pr not just twitter

but in any case i'm sure twitter will stop it there's no way auto tweets like that are allowed

CommunicatorIC

Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology appears to read ESMB and/or WWP. The automatic tweeting frequency is now set to one tweet every 15 minutes, instead of a tweet every 30 seconds. One tweet every 15 minutes is still frequent enough to push Scientology news off of the page.

Twitter has still not addressed the issue.

CommunicatorIC

Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology appears to read ESMB and/or WWP. The automatic tweeting frequency is now set to one tweet every 15 minutes, instead of a tweet every 30 seconds. One tweet every 15 minutes is still frequent enough to push Scientology news off of the page.

Twitter has still not addressed the issue.
It appears that Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology may be reading ESMB and/or WWP in real time. After the post quoted above made a short time ago, Destroy Scientology / @No__Scientology is back tweeting two or more times each minute.

Francois Tremblay

Patron with Honors

Anonycat

Crusader
Actually that's not correct. There are some respected auto tweeting bots. It's just that the technology can also be used for evil.

Here are some examples: http://thenextweb.com/2009/08/11/12-weird-and-wonderful-twitter-retweet-bots/

You missed the topic. That stupid blog is about retweeting. Which is useless. Secondly, it's a blog, which is not consensus, studied, or more than one persons opinion, and click-driven.

A bit of fun

Drunk_Bot – Mention being drunk and you might get retweeted by this alcohol-obsessed Bot.

Actually, you are not correct. If you 'respect' the drunk bot retweeting, you need a life.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Gee, I'm sorry that twitter bots are not up to your high standards.

I've got a twitter question for a twitterato (is that the singular for twitterati?). That's not meant to be offensive, I just want someone very familiar with Twitter which I'm not.

Can you "backdate" a tweet? I.e., could I make a tweet right now that ends up dated, say, 15 January 2014, so it will appear between tweets dated 10 January and 20 January? I do have a twitter account or two but I don't know where the passwords are, and I vaguely remember this being possible. I can think of two main ways of dating a current message: (1) The company's server dates it at the time received, surely the most sensible way of doing it, and (2) The time/date comes from the sender's computer time/date, which is usually correct but can realistically be set to almost anything.

Paul

Techless

Patron Meritorious

Paul

And they do this so well in just day to day internal hoohaa that they are constantly screwing themselves anyway.

One of the fun little ditties to watch scn 'tech' destroying itself from within and no outside help!

These are just little precious moments to observe- - constantly ongoing comedy show.