The Purif- Beneficial or harmful?

Carmel

Crusader
I don't know about "safe" or "appropriate for all", but I do know that it was something that had a very positive influence in my life. I had a "heavy drug history" per definition and I was blown away by the purif. My senses increased markedly, my mind became shitloads sharper, and (in words that don't really explain) my space increased hugely. I was on it for three weeks. I hated it while I was on it and felt like I was going through hell, but coming out the other end - I felt I had a new life.

I know this was not the case though, for many I saw go through it. It's something "everyone" does as their first major step on the auditing side of the bridge. It wasn't supposed to be though (not per a bulletin on the subject). I've made no right or wrong judgement on it as to its "workability" across the board (very glad I got to do it though).

byte301

Crusader
Did anyone doing the purif sweat green? I have had people tell me that they did. I also read on another board that people take "cell salts" on the purif now.

I did the purif with several people and not one sweated green.

Anybody know anything about this?

Thalkirst

Patron with Honors
For me it was completely indifferent.

My one lasted a few weeks, but I did not notice any change.

When I was sufficiently bored with it, I just attested it.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
That too is a 'cognition' and an 'ability regained'; i.e. 'If I don't attest, these assholes will keep me here till I die and go broke; in that order' and, 'I have the ability to lie to these assholes to save myself'

Big Win!

Zinj

LOL Have to say I agree here.

Div6

Crusader
Here is a link that talks about the harmful effects of synthetic vitamins:
http://www.quantafoods.com/learn_the_shocking_truth_about_v.htm

"The Journal of the American Medical Association Volume 294(3), 20 July 2005, p 351-358, found whole foods to be the best source of nutrition and not the synthetic chemicals in multi-vitamins. In the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition January, 2004;79(1):86-92, we learn that vitamin E supplements do not work as well as foods naturally rich in vitamin E.)
A New England Journal of Medicine (Nov, 1995) Boston University School of Medicine study stated that synthetic vitamin A given to pregnant women in medium to high doses of 10,000-20,000 IU per day, increased the risk of birth defects by 240% at the lower dosage and 400% at the higher dosage. Serious genetic damage that caused cleft lip, cleft palette, heart malformations, and nervous system damage such as hydrocephalus were linked to synthetic vitamins. This comprehensive study of 22,748 women over a period of four years reported that there was no birth defect risk noted from foods containing vitamin A in foods. Researchers at Dartmouth Medical School ran a four-year study to see if antioxidant supplements could prevent the recurrence of adenomas of the colon after surgical removal in 864 patients. After four years of giving 25 mg of beta-carotene, 1000 mg of ascorbic acid, and 400 mg of alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E), all in synthetic forms, there were no positive effects noted and the researchers concluded that: “Current data do not support the use of antioxidant vitamin supplements for purposes of cancer prevention” (July 22, 1994 New England Journal of Medicine).
A 10-year Finnish study on 29,133 male smokers (ages 50-69) studied synthetic vitamin E and beta-carotene for reducing the incidence of lung and other cancers. A daily 20 mg dose of beta-carotene raised the blood levels tenfold. A 50 mg daily dosage of alpha-tocopherol elevated blood values of vitamin E by approximately one-third. The researchers noted no protection from the supplementation and harmful effects that included: 18% higher incidence of lung cancer, more heart attacks, more strokes, and an 8% higher increase in the overall death rate

(New England Journal of Medicine, April 14, 1994). Another 1994 study in the New England Journal of Medicine on elderly Americans to improve muscle weakness and physical frailty demonstrated no benefits whatsoever. A study in 1945 American Journal of Digestive Diseases” vitamin E-deficient laboratory animals that were fed tocopherols died before the control group that did not receive any vitamin supplement at all.
Agnes Fay Morgan, Ph.D., food research scientist at the University of California, reported in Science, (93: 261-262, 1941) that animals on a synthetic vitamin-enriched diet died long before the animals on an unprocessed diet became disabled. She stated that the enrichment of processed foods with synthetic vitamins may “precipitate conditions worse than the original deficiency.” Other animal studies reveal untimely deaths, sterility, and serious health deficits with the use of synthetic vitamins versus whole foods in animal feeds (Scandinavian Veterinary, 30, 1940; Journal of Natural Agriculture, 1939). "

I have not followed up the cites, but there is a school of thought that believes natural foods are enough to supply appropriate nutrition, and synthetic vitamins, as above are more harmful than helpful......

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I have not followed up the cites, but there is a school of thought that believes natural foods are enough to supply appropriate nutrition, and synthetic vitamins, as above are more harmful than helpful......

Natural foods organically grown in healthy soil may well be. But there is very little healthy soil around. Synthetic vitamins, "helpfully" produced by the same big pharmaceutical companies that make money from people being in permanent "need" of their drugs, are often not too useful.

I know that I have felt much better when regularly taking decent nutritional supplements.

Paul

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
ever since I did the purif I have not been able to get drunk when drinking alcohol, wtf is up with that!?

I was on day one of the original pilot program at PAC. They where putting sea org members through it while they where on beans and rice.

I was on for about a month, I think. After someone decided I was done, I went to a Hotel bar for a celebratory beer. After drinking about half of a small beer, I was too drunk to walk!

At the time, I thought it was because my body was so cleaned out, that it was like drinking for the first time. Now I suspect it might have been some kind of imbalance in my system. After a few weeks, my tolerance was back up, and not from drinking a lot, which I wasn't. I don't exactly recall, but I believe it was a few weeks later that I had any more alcohol, and it didn't effect me like that day after the purif.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Here is a link that talks about the harmful effects of synthetic vitamins:
http://www.quantafoods.com/learn_the_shocking_truth_about_v.htm

"The Journal of the American Medical Association Volume 294(3), 20 July 2005, p 351-358, found whole foods to be the best source of nutrition and not the synthetic chemicals in multi-vitamins. In the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition January, 2004;79(1):86-92, we learn that vitamin E supplements do not work as well as foods naturally rich in vitamin E.)
A New England Journal of Medicine (Nov, 1995) Boston University School of Medicine study stated that synthetic vitamin A given to pregnant women in medium to high doses of 10,000-20,000 IU per day, increased the risk of birth defects by 240% at the lower dosage and 400% at the higher dosage. Serious genetic damage that caused cleft lip, cleft palette, heart malformations, and nervous system damage such as hydrocephalus were linked to synthetic vitamins. This comprehensive study of 22,748 women over a period of four years reported that there was no birth defect risk noted from foods containing vitamin A in foods. Researchers at Dartmouth Medical School ran a four-year study to see if antioxidant supplements could prevent the recurrence of adenomas of the colon after surgical removal in 864 patients. After four years of giving 25 mg of beta-carotene, 1000 mg of ascorbic acid, and 400 mg of alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E), all in synthetic forms, there were no positive effects noted and the researchers concluded that: “Current data do not support the use of antioxidant vitamin supplements for purposes of cancer prevention” (July 22, 1994 New England Journal of Medicine).
A 10-year Finnish study on 29,133 male smokers (ages 50-69) studied synthetic vitamin E and beta-carotene for reducing the incidence of lung and other cancers. A daily 20 mg dose of beta-carotene raised the blood levels tenfold. A 50 mg daily dosage of alpha-tocopherol elevated blood values of vitamin E by approximately one-third. The researchers noted no protection from the supplementation and harmful effects that included: 18% higher incidence of lung cancer, more heart attacks, more strokes, and an 8% higher increase in the overall death rate

(New England Journal of Medicine, April 14, 1994). Another 1994 study in the New England Journal of Medicine on elderly Americans to improve muscle weakness and physical frailty demonstrated no benefits whatsoever. A study in 1945 American Journal of Digestive Diseases” vitamin E-deficient laboratory animals that were fed tocopherols died before the control group that did not receive any vitamin supplement at all.
Agnes Fay Morgan, Ph.D., food research scientist at the University of California, reported in Science, (93: 261-262, 1941) that animals on a synthetic vitamin-enriched diet died long before the animals on an unprocessed diet became disabled. She stated that the enrichment of processed foods with synthetic vitamins may “precipitate conditions worse than the original deficiency.” Other animal studies reveal untimely deaths, sterility, and serious health deficits with the use of synthetic vitamins versus whole foods in animal feeds (Scandinavian Veterinary, 30, 1940; Journal of Natural Agriculture, 1939). "

An excellent example here, would be the production of (gak!) beer. The natural product has so many variants in it that there will be more than one active bacteria, each creating more than one type of OH- molecule resulting in a natural blend of varations within one brew.

The synthetic version is usually a single over-cloned OH- that results in a bland and uninteresting (gak!) beer.

By that same argument a synthetic viatmin will be a single over-cloned molecule and the additional benefits that would be afforded by the natural spectrum of variance are lost.

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
It's definitely not a good idea if you have kidney problems, because kidneys process the extra water-soluable vitamins.

Many vitamins have individual toxicities, such as the sensory nerve deadening in B6 overdoses. Fortunately, that one starts reversing as soon as the vitamin levels return to normal.

My own experience is that the purif helped me. It helped me because I was exercising and sleeping well and taking vitamins and relaxing. Some people had a hard time on it, but I didn't. Miracles? No. I simply felt less sluggish.

I got a lot more exercise as a result, running to the toilet to get rid of the cupful of vegetable oil I had to swallow each day.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
i ran, directly or indirectly, the purif at my org for years. no deaths. no serious problems. had a few people get overheated. once serious enough to go to the hospital, but was fine after cooling off and continued the purif the next day and finished.

it's exercise, vitamins and sweating. if not overdone, it's only going to be good for you, if only physically. the quantities of vitamins would be the biggest risk. i have no idea if they actually constitute a danger in the doses they are taken.

from my experience, most people felt better physically afterwards. more energy, healthier. like you would expect. they were also mostly pretty new to scn and were or course told it was going to change their life and were sitting there expecting huge wins. most didn't have them but eventually said they did in order to get off. i remember doing endless interviews with many pcs going over the ep and asking what they experienced, over and over, til they eventually said they had the ep.

Some really did seem to have big wins on it and were really happy. several had such huge massive over the top wins that i had this big withhold that i thought they were delusional. :)

dexter gelfand

Patron Meritorious
Purif

I did the purif in 1980, while on staff at the NY org. I had definite discernable gains. I go in my sauna at home regularly, alwyas feels good. I definitely agree that whole foods are the right way to eat, and supplements are just that- they supplement whatever nutrients we function better with (at the better levels) we haven't been getting from our food. Also, many supplements are good for compensating for how the body breaks down as we age- things our bodies don't generate in sufficient quantity, like melatonin to regulate sleep and other functions, lactase to digest dairy products, anti-oxidents and other things.

Love, Dex