What's new

The Purif- Beneficial or harmful?

I've been reading a lot of postings in various places about how dangerous the Purif is. While people site medical experts about the toxicity of high doses of vitamins, especially niacin, I have never heard of anyone being hurt from doing the purif. I never heard of anyone dieing while on it except possibly someone who may have had a heart attack from running on the treadmill.

I have done the rundown twice, both times of long duration and I don't believe that I have been harmed by it in anyway. Of course only an autopsy will tell for sure and I'm not planning on having one anytime soon.:coolwink: I still take niacin everyday and usually enjoy the full body flush. I don't know if I am running out radiation but I am hoping that it is helping to keep my arteries clear.

While on the purif I heard firsthand of many miraculous things that occurred with my sauna mates but never experienced any miracles myself. I did feel healthier both mentally and physically when I was done, but exercise, sauna and vitamins can do that for a person, whether it is done on the Purif or just on your own.

So I was wondering if any of you exes who have done the purif feel that you were harmed or helped by it or if any non-Scn critics have any proof that the program is harmful. As wacky and scientifically unsound as Ron's research may seem to be, could there actually be something to it. From my personal experience it seems possible. What say you?

Thanks,
Anonymous Scientologist

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I knew a woman in LA who said she was on the Purif for a year, i.e. taking high doses of vitamins for a year. She told me about some organ function that had been destroyed by that. Possibly the liver, I don't recall.

I was on it for 6 weeks, and felt a lot cleaner. My main win from it was that I didn't have to do that damn Sweat Program (precursor to the Purif) ever again.

Paul

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's definitely not a good idea if you have kidney problems, because kidneys process the extra water-soluable vitamins.

Many vitamins have individual toxicities, such as the sensory nerve deadening in B6 overdoses. Fortunately, that one starts reversing as soon as the vitamin levels return to normal.

My own experience is that the purif helped me. It helped me because I was exercising and sleeping well and taking vitamins and relaxing. Some people had a hard time on it, but I didn't. Miracles? No. I simply felt less sluggish.

asagai

Patron Meritorious
I was on the purif taking huge doses of niacin for weeks. Since that time, exactly, my health has deteriorated and I have a condition that is guaranteed to kill me.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
I would love to blame the Purif for my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but the evidence doesn't hold up. The only real thing I can pin on the Purif is that I am now amazingly heat intolerant.

Pixie

Crusader
I was on the purif for fifty three days and overrun by one day according to them. I used to feel physically sick at the amounts of vits I used to have to take because I got more and more every day and towards the end just the thought of putting more vits in my mouth used to make me want to gag. I didn't feel too different at the end but I was young at the time anyway although I did feel 'cleaner' but that amount of vits could not have been good for anyone and I'm sure if an investigation was done it wouldn't be allowed.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm agin it.

My last auditor spoke to a doctor she knew about the Purif and the high doses of vitamins
(niacin in particular), and he said he was surprised people didn't die on it.

It's criminally irresponsible IMO for the CofS to be putting its parishioners through a program like that without strict medical supervision.

Having said that, I fully support detox in the normal manner for those who want it. Carol Vorderman in the UK writes some good books on detoxing and she at least has the merit of being attractive (and her books are cheaper than the Purif).

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
my definite opinion about the purif

I did not like the purif and attained no gains from it. People have told me they had good results and I'm happy for them, but it seemed like crap to me, actually.

Wisened One

Crusader
I was on mine for 33 days.....it was the first time I went exterior...felt cleaner...don't think it harmed me, that I know of....

Terril park

Sponsor
I've been reading a lot of postings in various places about how dangerous the Purif is. While people site medical experts about the toxicity of high doses of vitamins, especially niacin, I have never heard of anyone being hurt from doing the purif. I never heard of anyone dieing while on it except possibly someone who may have had a heart attack from running on the treadmill.

I have done the rundown twice, both times of long duration and I don't believe that I have been harmed by it in anyway. Of course only an autopsy will tell for sure and I'm not planning on having one anytime soon.:coolwink: I still take niacin everyday and usually enjoy the full body flush. I don't know if I am running out radiation but I am hoping that it is helping to keep my arteries clear.

While on the purif I heard firsthand of many miraculous things that occurred with my sauna mates but never experienced any miracles myself. I did feel healthier both mentally and physically when I was done, but exercise, sauna and vitamins can do that for a person, whether it is done on the Purif or just on your own.

So I was wondering if any of you exes who have done the purif feel that you were harmed or helped by it or if any non-Scn critics have any proof that the program is harmful. As wacky and scientifically unsound as Ron's research may seem to be, could there actually be something to it. From my personal experience it seems possible. What say you?

Thanks,
Anonymous Scientologist

I've done purif twice and took 500 mg of niacin daily for many years with no bad effects. There were two or 3 examples reported on ARS of liver problems re the purif. Once I heard of possible dangers I stopped intake of Niacin other than my regular multivit pill.

It was and perhaps still is used to lower cholesterol and I believe is the
most effective method of doing this. The problems with Niacin were found among those being treated for cholesterol problems. The problems were mostly or exclusively related to prolonged release niacin. People handling cholesterol were taking Niacin for months or years. Immediate release niacin has no danger or minimal danger. One may google " Niacin liver"
" niacin liver purif" and find much to read.

I think anyone doing purif now should have suitable liver tests before purif, and possibly during.

The purif was great and I also know of miraculous occurrences on it.

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
I heard from folks that have done it that Indian sweats work great for feeling great and cleaning out...never done it myself. All I can say about purif is that I hated it and would never do it again. The only benefit was it got me to exercise!

I do know several people that faked finishing because they weren't getting any benefit ......

That's all I got.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I do know several people that faked finishing because they weren't getting any benefit ......

That's all I got.

That too is a 'cognition' and an 'ability regained'; i.e. 'If I don't attest, these assholes will keep me here till I die and go broke; in that order' and, 'I have the ability to lie to these assholes to save myself'

Big Win!

Zinj

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
That too is a 'cognition' and an 'ability regained'; i.e. 'If I don't attest, these assholes will keep me here till I die and go broke; in that order' and, 'I have the ability to lie to these assholes to save myself'

Big Win!

Zinj

good point ! But then those same people kept going on the bridge !!! ...ummm...including me :confused2:

byte301

Crusader

Big Win!

Zinj

That's exactly what I did! LOL It was harmful to me. It lowered the balance of my check book quite a lot. AND it cut into my social life for 45 freakin nights! I hated it with every fiber of my being that wasn't sweated out.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
That's exactly what I did! LOL It was harmful to me. It lowered the balance of my check book quite a lot. AND it cut into my social life for 45 freakin nights! I hated it with every fiber of my being that wasn't sweated out.

And, you wouldn't do it again :)

It costs, but, Scientology is a 'learning experience'!

Thank you Ron!

Zinj

Moonchild

Patron with Honors
I did the "purif" in the late summer of 1980; I'd recently attested "Natural Clear" and was very "gung-ho" about it.

Maybe I pushed myself too hard, the Ldn Fdn C/S intimated thus; I found a lot of anger coming up, but also I found myself (a couple of times) re-experiencing the euphoria which I'd previously known when smashed out of my brains on cannabis...laughing myself stupid over a crack in the wall or something.

The niacin-flush hit me hard, but I was able to "TR0" myself out of it within maybe 10-15 minutes....it got easier as I progressed through the rundown, which took me 19 days overall.

Perhaps strangely, at the end my body-weight had gone up from 9st (126 lbs) which had been my consistent weight for many years to 10st (140), and remained there for many years after....I'm 5'10" BTW...until homebrew and Cabernet Sauvignon took their inevitable and not undelightful toll...I'm now consistent at 11st (154).

So yes, for me the "purif" was a good experience really; probably wouldn't hurt to do it, or something similar, again....:omg: :duh: :coolwink: :D

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
I can't say I noticed any difference in how I felt during the Purif or since. I think I was on mine about 3 weeks, but I could be wrong. I remember a friend of mine who could not take the vitamins without wanting to-and succeeding at least once-throwing up. We saw a COS doctor prior to beginning it. My session with him was a rubber stamp but then I was young and healthy. Perhaps he was more judicious with others. In general though I think a one size fits all program like the Purif is asking for trouble.