What's new

The purpose of ESMB

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I am a bit concerned with the change in direction that ESMB has taken recently.

If you had to characterise this board in any way I would suggest it could be called a "support" or "recovery" board.

With the arrival of several "Anons" the focus has changed somewhat into an "activist" board.

There are many things about the arrival of Anonymous onto the critical scene that I'm delighted with. I think they breathe new life into our "cause" and have invigorated a lot of critics. However ESMB was not created to be an activist board. It is a peaceful place where people come to tell their stories, meet other exes, reunite with old friends and heal from a cult experience.

I can't expect the newer Anonymous arrivals to understand what it's like to try to extricate one's self from cult indoctrination. Only a person exiting Scientology can completely understand. It's a slow, painful process at times. We try to care for each other because quite frankly, if we don't, who the hell will?

I understand that Anonymous targeted the ex Scientologist community for support in their crusade and I can understand why. We have a common "enemy" if you will. But our methods are very different. Many of us have been fighting Scientology for longer than some Anonymous members have been alive and understand that the only way to win against Scientology is through legal and peaceful measures. Violence, vandalism and terrorism are not supported by the critical community, and the advocacy of those measures will not be tolerated on this message board.

I know that we have many members of Anonymous on this board and the majority of them are well behaved and well meaning. Unfortunately there are some who haven't heard our message or have decided to ignore it.

I have had to take some action today because of the advocacy of potentially violent and/or illegal actions against the CoS being discussed on this board. I don't know how to make it any clearer to you other than to say that it is just not acceptable.

To those Anons who are posting on ESMB and understand what this board is for and are willing and able to respect the nature of the board, I welcome you and hope you continue to learn about Scientology and how it is best tackled. To other Anons who wish to use ESMB as some sort of recruitment ground for illegal activities, or as a soap box advocating illegal activities, you are not welcome. You have a multitude of other boards & forums to which you can post.

I have not been able to keep up recently with all the posting that has occurred. I'm asking each and every one of you to report any post that promotes violence or illegal activities or that simply puts ESMB in danger.

I'm also changing the registration process for ESMB. There will no longer be an automatic process in which anyone can join. I created ESMB primarily for ex Scientologists and while there is room for people who have never been in, I never wanted the balance to be tipped that way. I will be making a post regarding this once the form is completed and tested.

I've also appointed two moderators to the board. They are and will remain unknown to everyone except myself. I ask that you respect their decisions and take up any objections with them first privately and only if it is unable to be resolved should you then involve me.

I know I sound all "serious" regarding this. That's because I am. I need to protect all the members of the board (including myself) and to try to ensure the survival of the board itself. OSA would love nothing more than to get this board closed down and IP addresses handed over by court order. Please be aware that an animal is often at its most dangerous when wounded and the CoS is hurting pretty bad right now.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Thankyou Emma! :clap::thankyou:

At least one new member has had a hard time with posting, from thread diversion and flames. These are the voices we want to hear and want to help. :hide: :handinhand:

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree with you 100% and I do get concerned about your liabilities when the board is used to promote threats, conspiracies or illegle activities.

It's selfish, very selfish and reckless.

T.I.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
I back you Emma and I hope Anon continues to rely on legal and peaceful means. I think the peaceful pickets are a great example of how Anon can help to expose the inner mind of CofS.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Speaking as a person who likes to stay on top of current events not only in my country but many, I can say anyone who resorts to terrorist threats is on the same level as the Taliban and suicide bombers that plague many societies.

I am disgusted at terrorism and emotional blackmail and threats.

It's sadism is it's most organic form.

And these threats from Anon are just that.

Terrorist threats, emotional blackmail, and sadism.

T.I.

Poofy

Patron with Honors
Why does this thread say: "Sticky"?

Sticky means it will 'stick' to the top of the board. Sticky threads are used to highlight things the admins believe users should read when they first enter a board.

Pixie

Crusader
Thank you Emma you are a star. This for me has been very healing and I have already met wonderful people who have given me incredible support that I had not ever experienced before. For sure, at first it's the hardest thing in the world to do, try to articulate and talk about your feelings and what you went through, so if some people are talking about revenge and stuff like that, it can of course be intimidating. It's a relief that you have written this and hopefully all of the newbies (including myself) can feel safe when posting and not vulnerable as this site is .. for me anyway.. is like the very air I breath and is helping me heal a lot and let go. Thanks again Emma.

Emma

I am a bit concerned with the change in direction that ESMB has taken recently.
To other Anons who wish to use ESMB as some sort of recruitment ground for illegal activities, or as a soap box advocating illegal activities, you are not welcome. You have a multitude of other boards & forums to which you can post.
As a two day old 'newbie' to this site, I can't repeat enough times how much I appreciate this place and all that it stands for. I've read scores of Emma's post, both here and on other sites, and find her to be extraordinarily centered, fair and balanced.
I've cowered in the ex-$cien. closet longer than Tom Cruise has been in $cien. and it's a very destructive place to be. It's time to come out.
(not by name, just yet, for I have a couple of friends still inside.)
However, for me, that doesn't mean coming out 'swinging, threatening or vengeful.' It means quietly, intelligently informing everyone I know about the crushing human rights violations the cult has perpetrated against its apostates for over a half-century - depicting how ElRon put Standard Tech on the Stockholm Syndrome - and effectively detoured 10 years of my professional life.
Emma has my proxy to intervene, edit, excise, scold, encourage, validate and promote as she sees fit.

Carmel

Crusader
Just thought I'd bump, after reading all the posts today.

For those who have not read Emma's original post - it's one that's worth reading.

Cheers :)