What's new

THE RPF

"V"

Patron with Honors
RPF - Rehabilitation Project Force.

I joined the Sea Org at the age of 16, because my father, then a Scientologist, got himself involved with a woman who was former Guardian's office intelligence personnel. She wanted to join the Sea Org at Flag, to be in the Guardian's Office Flag where Mary Sue Hubbard was at the time.

He followed her. I followed him, just as I always did ever since he first got into Scientology. The better to keep an eye on what I sensed was an even worse place than the Scientology orgs and missions.

I was then at school at the Delphian School in Oregon, I was one of the first five paying public students.

Having completed all available courses that they had within the 2-3 years I was there, I felt the "institution no longer had anything to offer me" and went with my father to Clearwater, Florida.

A horrible trip, but that's for another day.

Within about two months or so - I joined the Sea Org, landing ultimately in their management organization called variously Flag Bureaux and International Management Organization.

I worked in communications, sort of at the crossroads of the heart of the Scientology Empire. I saw lots and lots of things because of my position.

One of them was Nancy Many's RPF assignment.

I was pretty shocked about that, because she was pregnant. Hers was part of a kind of "purge" that comes about whenever management decides they need to blame someone (or a lot of someones) for why Scientology wasn't expanding. Of course it couldn't be because it was a weird and abusive mind-control group - nah that was never it. (sarcastically speaking)

Sometimes I had to deliver telexes to the Fort Harrison building, because my work was usually done and I had nothing to do. One day I had to deliver one to the "tank" where the pc folders were kept. On my way through the garage - I saw Nancy being hustled off somewhere, probably a muster. She looked so sad, and tired, and just oppressed that as she went off into wherever the RPF'ers go (it was like rat holes where they kept these people - I swear) that I decided I had to do something, say something. I wrote a report, a specific kind of report, that I sent cc's to various mucky mucks. I said that I thought this was absolutely unforgivable, that L. Ron Hubbard would never treat a woman, especially a pregnant woman bearing the "future of our civilization" this way (yeah, I know he would, I'm talking their writings - their bible - here) and would rein holy hell down upon their heads if it should be found out by public authorities (see, that was the key part I knew would get their attention) that this was going on.

I don't know if it helped or not, I never saw her again, but I just think it should be known just how bad people were treated in a lot of cases. Nancy didn't deserve that. NO ONE deserves that.

My father was also put into the RPF, and by the time I even knew about it, it was too late - he had not only been RPF'd he had been summarily offloaded in the dead-of-night! You can imagine how I felt about that, especially when I found out how devastated he was by the whole thing. I felt like I had failed him.

This was one of the two reasons that I gave, actually the more unarguable one from their perspective (the sea org people) that I began officially routing out of the Sea Org.

A new crowd of "heads" of where I work had come in, and ordered that all family time was cancelled and only one person could go home at night to pick up ALL the kids. This was about the same time that the quality of child-care had taken a steep dive - it had actually been pretty good prior to that.

When I heard that? I said well, do what you want to me but I'm not following such an insane order. I had references and everything proving my point. I knew I would be disciplined - I welcomed it.

I was put in something called the Dpf, which is sort of one step above the Rpf. I was put on "mest work" and assigned to do Repair of Past Ethics Conditions. While doing these new conditions whiz-bang TECH of theirs, I came up with that I needed to go and help my father, because after all, he had always helped me. This was actually a line right in their materials. And then I said give me a leaving staff routing form. You should have seen the look on their faces. "You can't have a cognition like that!" I pointed to the line - says so right there. Sometimes the person has to leave or go somewhere to fully handle a past ethics condition. (paraphrasing here).

And so I left. When I hooked up with my father, wow. :no: It was like he was a different person. Some times people have asked me why I continued in Scientology after that, and I would often say THAT'S why. I wanted to find something from the inside that I could use to tear the heart out of the monster that did this. Scientology. There were other reasons that I don't need to go into right now, but that was really high on the list.

And So I did.

But the damage, the utter degradation and subservience, the utter disregard for basic humanity of what people in the RPF sometimes were subjected too (I think especially people someone had a grudge against, like Nancy and my father) how can you just walk away from something like that?

I couldn't.

"V"

Last edited:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Interesting post there "V".

I don't quite get why you would immerse yourself further into the quagmire of Scn under those circumstances. Not meaning to be critical in any way here, just that I probably would have run for the hills myself.

But everyone is different. You chose your own way of dealing with it and that is where people react to things differently.

Your post mentions Nancy in a much kinder light than your other postings have. I liked it better.

Thank you for your story.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
Ok, well your father becoming involved while you were a teenager and sending you to a Scio school - that piece of the puzzle does help explain a lot.

Now I can understand how you got involved in the first place, even if you had misgivings or didn't believe in Scientology. I also understand maybe trying to learn more about it so you could then show your Dad how it was all a con and get him out of the cult. A teenager would believe they could succeed at such a mission.

Now, for the rest of it, and spending many more years involved in the cult and being active in Freezone is still mystifying to me...

Oddly enough it would seem you were a child of Scientology, or raised in Scientology, even if it came later on while you were a teenager. I know a lot of people were defending your son Tom because we here tend to be very protective of kids who suffered at the hand of the cult, because they had no free will in the matter. However, it would seem you suffered having to deal with Scientology in your own adolescent / teenage years. Other thread may have taken a different course had you explained that in the first place.

I'd be curious to hear about being a early student of what ended up becoming the Delphi school - which thanks to following Scio tech became a total nightmare for students by the 1980's (and very well it was bad much earlier or from the very start.)

"V"

Patron with Honors
Your welcome Fixer. You are correct, the treatment of Nancy in the RPF is a completely different topic. I bear Nancy no ill will as a person, she did not deserve what happened to her in the Church, nor did my father.

A few people choose to challenge the demons inside of their den, a lot more people choose to challenge the demon from across the street or from the next state.

All that is important is that the demon is challenged and rendered harmless.

"V"

"V"

Patron with Honors
I'd be curious to hear about being a early student of what ended up becoming the Delphi school - which thanks to following Scio tech became a total nightmare for students by the 1980's (and very well it was bad much earlier or from the very start.)

That's also a part of my memoirs, which I guess this post was a bit of me looking over one of the areas I want to write about.

As a simple answer about Delphi, which it was called that then, I was around 13 or so when I started. I had been labelled (tested) "gifted" and had not exactly been having what you call a challenging environment at public school.

Delphi, in a lot of ways for me, was a sort of freedom for most of my time there. It was quite a bit more informal and "free", kind of a really big home then.

It was structured along the lines of study tech and courserooms when I first started, but more informally, and that wasn't a problem for me. They used something called the Basic Study Manual (BSM) and didn't really use much other Hubbard materials - except we all had to take the "evaluation" course. Pluspoints, outpoints - all that business. But that was about it.

As to the BSM, I already knew how to study anyway. I mean that I was able to study and learn things of interest myself, which necessarily involves some defining of words and such things. So doing that "as a Scientologist" was no great hardship, or keeping myself moving at a fast pace and knowing how to unstick myself when I would hit some barrier. Like I needed to go look up something, read another book on something to understand wtf the first one was talking about, standard stuff for any one who does a lot of learning or reading. So in a very real sense, it was quite easy to look like I was doing "the Scientology way" when really it was just me doing what I do.

I hated clay demos though, even though I was good at them. I found them a complete waste of time. By the time I figured out how I would do a clay demo to show something - well, I didn't need to. I'm sure you get what I mean.

There were four of us in the middle to upper school program - the fifth was actually a staff member's child. I was finally unleashed academically, and could go at my own pace which was seriously fun for me. A lot of the courses I took, because I was the only one either on it or who had ever taken it in the first place, put me in direct contact with some great people directly. So that was more of a one-on-one education.

I was not a real rule-follower, contrary to what some might think, and during the years I was there, me and a few other kids were sort of the leaders. Kind of our own old-school clique. I was always coming up with entertaining things to do and we were probably part of why THE ETHICS POLICE started turning it into what you see today. It was a lot different then. But as more and more kids came, it became more and more scientological and less and less of a rewarding experience for me - learning-wise.

I can't imagine what it must be like for a student today, or even five years after I left. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

That's all I want to write now, got some things to do.

"V"

Last edited:

"V"

Patron with Honors
I understand the need for others to try and make sense out of what they are learning is my history - from within their own framework of reference.

But I simply do not feel that I was "abused" by having gone into Scientology as a teenager, in the sense of it changing me in some way. I was armed-and-ready for it, I had an education into the ways of mind-control far beyond my years, I knew what to expect. My father simply could not believe, for a long time, that people could really BE like that. Well, I knew.

I actually had far more abuse, from my perspective, from the public school system and their idiotic ideas about child psychology than Scientology in my teenage years.

In fact? In a lot of ways I find that kind of meddling just as bad, if not worse than some of my experiences in Scientology, although some of those were pretty amazing. It's Assholes with power - who think they know better than I do who I am, what I need, and what motivates me.

Especially when they are wrong. I can't say I've seen much improvement in either category of what, essentially, is meddling with someone else's life.

The RPF is what I would call an extreme example, but I had something very similar happen to me in a public school - that kind of unjustified deliberate induction by force of powerlessness, degradation, and attempting to blunt someone's will. I'll talk about that in my memoirs though.

"V'

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I understand the need for others to try and make sense out of what they are learning is my history - from within their own framework of reference.

But I simply do not feel that I was "abused" by having gone into Scientology as a teenager, in the sense of it changing me in some way. I was armed-and-ready for it, I had an education into the ways of mind-control far beyond my years, I knew what to expect. My father simply could not believe, for a long time, that people could really BE like that. Well, I knew.

I actually had far more abuse, from my perspective, from the public school system and their idiotic ideas about child psychology than Scientology in my teenage years.

In fact? In a lot of ways I find that kind of meddling just as bad, if not worse than some of my experiences in Scientology, although some of those were pretty amazing. It's Assholes with power - who think they know better than I do who I am, what I need, and what motivates me.

Especially when they are wrong. I can't say I've seen much improvement in either category of what, essentially, is meddling with someone else's life.

The RPF is what I would call an extreme example, but I had something very similar happen to me in a public school - that kind of unjustified deliberate induction by force of powerlessness, degradation, and attempting to blunt someone's will. I'll talk about that in my memoirs though.

"V'

Children need to be taught discilpline, accountablility, responsibility.
Having WOG expectations for decent behavior is not the same as SCN RPF.

"V"

Patron with Honors
Children need to be taught discilpline, accountablility, responsibility.
Having WOG expectations for decent behavior is not the same as SCN RPF.

What I am talking about is called ABUSE - not teaching discipline, accountability and responsibility.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I was put in something called the Dpf, which is sort of one step above the Rpf. I was put on "mest work" and assigned to do Repair of Past Ethics Conditions. While doing these new conditions whiz-bang TECH of theirs, I came up with that I needed to go and help my father, because after all, he had always helped me. This was actually a line right in their materials. And then I said give me a leaving staff routing form. You should have seen the look on their faces. "You can't have a cognition like that!" I pointed to the line - says so right there. Sometimes the person has to leave or go somewhere to fully handle a past ethics condition. (paraphrasing here).

Were you still married to Bill Rhodes at the time, or had you divorced by then? Just curious.

"V"

Patron with Honors
Were you still married to Bill Rhodes at the time, or had you divorced by then? Just curious.

Yes, we were still married, but I was divorcing him. He finalized the divorce in I think November/December 1983. I finished routing out in June. Went out to California to get a place set up for me and my kids - came back to get the kids and OMFG, what a HORRIBLE thing he tried to do to me, arranged by the Flag GO and that David McGinley? guy who was in Qual that had epilepsy - he was married to Linda who is now hanging out with Tom martiniano and the freezone woohoos of Target II.

Or whatever-the-frack it's called.

They stole my kids and hid them from me because - and get this - "I'm an SP" because I left the Sea Org, I wasn't even declared - and because I had no idea what Bill had done with them or where he had gone, these sickos made me think they were gone and never to be seen again.

That was one of the most horrible nights in my life ever. Imagine running frantically around the QI and EVERYONE was in on it and acted concerned and like they didn't know a thing.

:angry:

You wouldn't believe what I had to do, in order to put a stop to THAT. But what I chose to do worked, and worked within 15 minutes.

But man, was I PISSED at Bill. It was years before I would talk to him after that.

Long story short - I made them give up my kids from where they had hidden them, got primary custody and got them all the way out of there.

:happydance:

"V"

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
You wouldn't believe what I had to do, in order to put a stop to THAT. But what I chose to do worked, and worked within 15 minutes.

I'm going to guess you called 911 and reported your kids missing?

"V"

Patron with Honors
Do tell . . .

:ohmy:

Oh ok. Fine. Sigh. You twisted my arm. I'm just kinda tired but I'll give you the short version.

Bill's dad was a pretty famous Judge for half the state of Colorado or something and I knew that he absolutely HATED Scientology. Bill had to do several PTS handlings on the whole thing.

Being that I figured (rightly) that he was a normal person, I knew he would be utterly appalled at his grandchildren being missing in some diabolical Sea Org plot - let alone what the care level had sunk to there in just the little time I'd been gone. I'd never even met the guy yet, but I knew how to get ahold of him, and I knew that he would have the FBI, the police, the State Attorney's Office and every other place he could get in on such a ripe opportunity to not only save his grandchildren, but to rip Scientology a new one with a really good reason.

:biggrin:

I also knew all the back channel phone numbers, like how to get directly to GO LEGAL or the AG flag, and so on. So as soon as I could in the morning when I knew they would be there, I called up the GO and told the nasty woman I talked to that you have 15 minutes to get me my children, or I'm calling Bill's dad, and the police, and all the local newspapers.

In 12 minutes she called me back "Oh look! We found them. Isn't that so THETA"

:angry:

Yea right, like the woman didn't know (she did).

I met them at at attorney's office, made the custody agreement, and even made it get put on the table, by putting the GO **** on the spot, you're going to try and declare me for this, arent' you. Lots of foot shuffling. I said, I want it part of the agreement that you can't.

The Lawyer witnessed that she guaranteed it would not happen, or else Bill lost all rights for any visitation of any kind with the children. Permanently. I also made Bill tell me where they had been and he said that Linda McGinley (last name?) husband Dave had this idea, and that he called up the Go and they thought it was just a FINE idea. The kids were hidden with Bill at the McGinleys in a different berthing building - the HB maybe? I think it was.

So, there ya go.

"V"

"V"

Patron with Honors
I'm going to guess you called 911 and reported your kids missing?

Nah, worse. Calling 911 would have gotten me declared instantly, and I may have never gotten the kids back. You gotta think ahead with these psychos, know how they think.

"V"

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Nah, worse. Calling 911 would have gotten me declared instantly, and I may have never gotten the kids back. You gotta think ahead with these psychos, know how they think.

"V"

I DO know how they think, which is why I think you were at risk of winding up like Lisa McPherson the way you did it. I would have called Grandpa Rhodes first, and had HIM chat with the GO lady, and politely tell her that if he didn't hear from you in 15 minutes that you had the kids, there would be trouble.

When confronting criminals, always keep in mind that "making you disappear" is on their list of options.

ADDING: calling 911 to report missing kids would not be the same as charging anybody with taking them.

"V"

Patron with Honors
I DO know how they think, which is why I think you were at risk of winding up like Lisa McPherson the way you did it. I would have called Grandpa Rhodes first, and had HIM chat with the GO lady, and politely tell her that if he didn't hear from you in 15 minutes that you had the kids, there would be trouble.

When confronting criminals, always keep in mind that "making you disappear" is on their list of options.

ADDING: calling 911 to report missing kids would not be the same as charging anybody with taking them.

Ah. I see. Well, that's because you don't know that I had my dad, and my grandparents on the line already watching out for me, should I not check in. The other thing you probably don't know is that I knew that there were some big PR flaps about something or other locally going on around the time I left, and there was a kind of crackdown occurring. FEAR OF FLAP was running strong.

I knew the power of that with them, at that time, so I gambled with my life to make sure I got my kids, yes, I knew that. I wasn't without fear, that's for sure. I was terrified, but I was more angry than terrified, if you have any idea what I mean by that. But I won the whole pot, and that's what I wanted to do. I didn't want their crazy fair game bs when my kids were still that young.

I'd seen what it did to other kids in the sea org whose families were torn apart by sp declares. Some of the saddest kids I ever saw, I felt so bad for them.

I think in a normal situation, I would definitely recommend a person just call 911 immediately. For sure.

"V"

"V"

Patron with Honors
Oh, and thanks for looking out for me Enthetan. It's always better to make sure someone knows things like what you said. I don't want to be no disappeared V.

:no:

"V"