The Scientology religious "pass the pen" fundraising technique

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
The Scientology religious "pass the pen" fundraising technique.

Mike Rinder: Fundraising Part 4
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/fundraising-part-4/

As always, please go to Mike's blog for his analysis and the analysis of his commentators.

* * * * * EXCERPT * * * * *

See the earlier parts of this series here, here, and here.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

passthepen001.jpg

beltway

Bone Idle
Because, hey, it's all about raising funds. Scientology NEEDS money. Lots and lots of money. And lots more after that.

4 billion USD is clearly not a sufficient "war chest".

From the comments section at Mike's blog:
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/fundraising-part-4/#comment-71542

Here’s some info about Dennis Negley.

OT VIII (old), Class IV (old, Apollo trained), Veteran Scientologist (active since early 70s). Husband of veteran staff member, Wendy Negley (nee Peterson), who trained to Class VIII in the late 60s (maybe early 70s) and was the Senior C/S San Francisco Day until 1996, when the Golden Age of Tech (squirrelled) came out. Dennis is currently a public, Wendy is currently the OES SFOD. Their daughter, Devin Weber (nee Negley) is the D/ED SFOD, is OEC trained and recently went Clear, after Golden Age of Tech II (non-squirrel, for now). Their son, Sean, is a declared SP and they have all disconnected from him. Sean was on staff for 10 years and after routing out, posted song lyrics on Facebook, including the song from TOOL with the line “Fuck L.Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones”. His sister saw the quote and reported him; “y’all busted”.

Dennis used to be a mortgage loan broker, helping a bunch of Scientologists refinance their homes so they can pay for more services/IAS donos/etc. In 2006/2007 the real estate market crashed and he lost his job as a loan broker, as well as his own house, and he ended up declaring bankruptcy. He would no longer be able to donate anything substantial to the IAS/etc. and in exchange he agreed to be a full-time fundraiser. Whenever there would be a fundraising event, he’d be there on stage. His deal was that he wouldn’t take any commission earned (since he was a public fundraiser) and that money would go straight back to the IAS, so that was him “doing his part”.

He was already pretty good at getting SF idiots to give money, during their Idle Morgue building fundraiser, so he wrote up all his successful actions. You can find his full 2003 write-up here: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?16514-Cult-Fundraising-EventsHat-Write-Up. Though this addendum seems to have been written later. I wonder what the date on this is.

At some point after 2007, he was mid OT VII and unable to pay for his next “6-month check”. He was routed to Ethics and threatened with a Comm Ev if he couldn’t pay for his next trip. He ended up routing off the level, and later told me the story about it. He was sitting in a Qual Library and thought “Right now I’d be better off dead. … A ha! That’s a suicidal thought!” So he wrote something up to his D of P about it and was taken off the Flag base pretty much immediately. When he told all this to me, he called it his “getting out of prison story,” with a grin as he said it.

The more you know.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

UNRELATED COMMENT: And, even after all the (previous) threads that mentioned it, I still don't have any f**king clue at all what "BUMS & PIRATES" means. LOL

WTF?

I have asked on other threads and I think people have even tried to explain it. I can't remember what they said, probably because the definition was so cringefully engramic I went unconscious.

Just wondering if my MU is the reason I became so critical of Scientology? LOL

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
Leave it to a Scn to come up with a "bright idea" such as this one....death by dry erase marker-bullet.

I wish I could watch this in our field and see the Scn pass it to someone who either wrote a kr on them, or arc-x them in the past.

Sindy

Crusader
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

UNRELATED COMMENT: And, even after all the (previous) threads that mentioned it, I still don't have any f**king clue at all what "BUMS & PIRATES" means. LOL

WTF?

I have asked on other threads and I think people have even tried to explain it. I can't remember what they said, probably because the definition was so cringefully engramic I went unconscious.

Just wondering if my MU is the reason I became so critical of Scientology? LOL

Only in a cult would you feel empowered, insouciant, special and truly admired by being called a pirate and a bum.

It's part of the double-speak where Scientologists are told that they are flippant, non-conformists. They break the rules. They're PIRATES! They don't play nice or stay within the lines. They're BUMS and yet they still WIN wildly. They are the wild ones -- the cream of the crop on the planet because they don't toe the line.

They're the Pirates and the Bums and being so insouciant, they don't care about insufficient funds in their banks accounts or maxed out credit cards. They laugh in the face of late payments and IRS statements. Ha! These things can't stop a pirate or a bum from swashbuckling their greasy bodies through the illusions of the MEST universe. They make money appear out of thin air.

What? You can't do that? You pay your bills on time and budget your income? You pathetic loser. You have been owned by the physical universe, you puny thetan. You couldn't create your way out of a ziploc bag. No, you're no pirate and you're no bum.

Okay, WOOT! I'm fucking ready to ignore the zeroes in my bank account. I'm all about destroying my 780 credit score. Missed mortgage payment? Bring it on!

PASS THE PEN.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Only in a cult would you feel empowered, insouciant, special and truly admired by being called a pirate and a bum.

It's part of the double-speak where Scientologists are told that they are flippant, non-conformists. They break the rules. They're PIRATES! They don't play nice or stay within the lines. They're BUMS and yet they still WIN wildly. They are the wild ones -- the cream of the crop on the planet because they don't toe the line.

They're the Pirates and the Bums and being so insouciant, they don't care about insufficient funds in their banks accounts or maxed out credit cards. They laugh in the face of late payments and IRS statements. Ha! These things can't stop a pirate or a bum from swashbuckling their greasy bodies through the illusions of the MEST universe. They make money appear out of thin air.

What? You can't do that? You pay your bills on time and budget your income? You pathetic loser. You have been owned by the physical universe, you puny thetan. You couldn't create your way out of a ziploc bag. No, you're no pirate and you're no bum.

Okay, WOOT! I'm fucking ready to ignore the zeroes in my bank account. I'm all about destroying my 780 credit score. Missed mortgage payment? Bring it on!

PASS THE PEN.

:hysterical:

I know, but......

Why did anyone even want to be positioned with "BUMS"?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Is there something I am missing about the majesty of BumNess and BumTech?

I even asked my Avatar to consult me on this question about why Scientologists are proud of being compared to a bum and he said: "Why are you even asking me that, it's sooooo stupid! WTF is wrong with you?!" Shit, now I have an indignant, invalidative bum on my lines! lol

Gib

Crusader

PASS THE PEN.

IIRC, I think it has something to do with bankers, raping people of their money since money is created from nothing. Hubbard talks about how money is created in the Money tapes. Of course, Hubbard does the same thing. LOL

But this definition will suffice, just replace the drugs with Hubbard's influence in writing & speaking (sublime writing) and the sex with money.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bum+pirate

"A bum pirate is one (usually a male) who frequents night clubs and other social hotspots and then, after drugging their victim with rohipnol, proceed to sodomise them; hence, they are "pirating" people's "bums". It may also refer to anyone preferring to anally rape their victims.
Jeffrey dahmer was a bum pirate of note.
Bum pirates usually go to jail if caught, where they in turn have their bums pirated."

HelluvaHoax!

Sorry, but my case has been bogged for years on that PIRATES & BUMS reference.

I tried to Google it and came up with two (2) things:

1. A post I made 18 months ago begging for help. LOL

Here is some random junk about the cult that I still don't really know the answer to. . .

PIRATES & BUMS
: This came about after I had already left. I know they used this gimmick to raise money and it was supposed to be a great thing. I think it somehow got people to do reckless things with their own money. But, what the hell was that all about? Some Hubbard "reference"? It sounds super nerdy and cringey-crazeeeeeee.

WHOLE TRACK E-METER DATING DRILL: Yeah, I have done it countless times. I have supervised people on courses to do it countless times. But, is there one (1) Scientologist anywhere on the planet that is able to actually sit down today and do this drill flawlessly the first time? Or is it one of Scientology's many "dirty little secrets" that NOBODY can actually do this drill "standardly" without vast amounts of time, trial and error, luck and some other mysterious mojo?

WHAT DO STAFF & PUBLIC IN THE LIFELESS IDEAL MORGUES THINK IS THE "WHY" THAT NOBODY IS THERE?

IF COB WAS ARRESTED OR DECLARED SP, WHAT PERCENTAGE OF LOYAL SCIENTOLOGISTS WOULD THEN SAY THAT THEY "THOUGHT ALL ALONG THAT HE WAS 1.1 OR AN SP"?

Yeah, so if anyone has a good answer for any of these, fire away!

And, feel free to throw down your own unanswered cult conundrums.

2. A random post someone made on another website long ago that said that "...the PIRATES & BUMS reference is something Ron said in the audiotaped lecture PDC #1.

Anybody know what is in PDC #1? Just checking. If nobody knows, I'll ask again next year. lol

ps: My Avatar has demanded that everyone stop referring to him as a "BUM". He states emphatically that he should be referred to as an OH (Operating Hobo).

Sindy

Crusader
IIRC, I think it has something to do with bankers, raping people of their money since money is created from nothing. Hubbard talks about how money is created in the Money tapes. Of course, Hubbard does the same thing. LOL

But this definition will suffice, just replace the drugs with Hubbard's influence in writing & speaking (sublime writing) and the sex with money.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bum+pirate

From my recall it starts with LRH philosophizing about people being, "good" and being "cautious with investments" and being wise, prudent etc. and how one would think that this would be the winning strategy in life but no, it's not.

He then talks about captains of industry and other big thetans who gamble and lose everything and make it all back again, and lose it and win it over, and over because they don't concern themselves with being good or following rules and some of them can be downright ornery rascals.

Yes, they're pirates and bums but they're the ones who win!

This is just some friggin' audio tape rambling, that then gets photocopied and put in reg binders, as the law of the universe. People get deputized as pirates and bums by IAS registrars walking through the crowds while reading dire warnings about psychs on the whole track. It's quite electrifying. You should try it. :no:

Gib

Crusader
From my recall it starts with LRH philosophizing about people being, "good" and being "cautious with investments" and being wise, prudent etc. and how one would think that this would be the winning strategy in life but, no. It's not.

He then talks about captains of industry and other big thetans who gamble and lose everything and make it all back again because they don't concern themselves with being good or following rules and some of them can be downright ornery rascals.

This is just some friggin' audio tape rambling, that then gets photocopied and put in reg binders, as the law of the universe. People get deputized as pirates and bums by IAS registrars walking through the crowds while reading dire warnings about psychs on the whole track. It's quite electrifying. You should try it. :no:

That sounds about right.

There is a poster here called by the same name, Pirates and Bums. Maybe he/she will clarify. :confused2:

But don't forget this piece of data:

https://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/dear-dean-wilbur/

Hubbard to Dean Wilbur, 1936 ( B/4 Excalibur and Dianetics):

"Do not allow this to upset you in any way. Put it down that I am a rebel, a nonconformist, anything. Some of these days I am going to set down these things in a book, and your rhetoric, very battered now, will be open on the desk beside me when I write it."

edit:

lets consider Dean Wilbur:

http://encyclopedia.gwu.edu/index.php?title=Wilbur,_William_Allen

I believe he had a lot of influence in Hubbard.

Consider this:

"“Meanwhile, Dean Wilbur likewise gave generously of his talents to the cause of religion in the community. A leader among Baptist laymen, he was noted especially for his proficiency in the exposition of the Scriptures. His own natural skill with words gave him the power to understand and to interpret convincingly the basic philosophy of the New Testament. The synoptic gospels were his particular subject. Probably it was from them that he acquired the models for his own inspirational writings. In any case, he was a master of language."

let me correct it as a model for Hubbard:

"“Meanwhile, [STRIKE]Dean Wilbur[/STRIKE] Hubbard likewise [STRIKE]gave[/STRIKE] took generously of his talents to the cause of religion in the community. A leader among[STRIKE] Baptist laymen[/STRIKE] Scientologists, he was noted especially for his proficiency in the exposition of the [STRIKE]Scriptures[/STRIKE] his own Scriptures. His own natural skill with words gave him the power to [STRIKE]understand[/STRIKE] influence and to interpret convincingly the basic philosophy [STRIKE]of the New Testament[/STRIKE] of his own religion. The [STRIKE]synoptic gospels[/STRIKE] imigination were his particular subject. Probably it was from them that he acquired the models for his own inspirational writings. In any case, he was a master of language."

HelluvaHoax!

From my recall it starts with LRH philosophizing about people being, "good" and being "cautious with investments" and being wise, prudent etc. and how one would think that this would be the winning strategy in life but no, it's not.

He then talks about captains of industry and other big thetans who gamble and lose everything and make it all back again, and lose it and win it over, and over because they don't concern themselves with being good or following rules and some of them can be downright ornery rascals.

Okay, now it is beginning to make a little sense to me. Thank you!

I guess I understand it enough now to begin making sentences. That should get me all the way to full conceptual understanding. Here goes--some sentences until "I feel good about it".

Sentence #1: I used to have an MU on the LRH datum "Pirates & Bums".

Sentence #2: Many multi-millionaire OTs made their fortunes by applying Ron's "Pirates & Bums" technology.

Sentence #3: It is not part of the "Pirates & Bums" tech to look at all the internet false data about OT millionaires Richie Acunto, Matt Feshbach & Reid Slatkin going bankrupt.

Yeah, okay, I feel really good about it now!

Sindy

Crusader
That sounds about right.

There is a poster here called by the same name, Pirates and Bums. Maybe he/she will clarify. :confused2:

But don't forget this piece of data:

https://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/dear-dean-wilbur/

edit:

lets consider Dean Wilbur:

http://encyclopedia.gwu.edu/index.php?title=Wilbur,_William_Allen

I believe he had a lot of influence in Hubbard.

Consider this:

let me correct it as a model for Hubbard:

Thanks. I never read that before. That was really interesting.

Gib

Crusader

Okay, now it is beginning to make a little sense to me. Thank you!

I guess I understand it enough now to begin making sentences. That should get me all the way to full conceptual understanding. Here goes--some sentences until "I feel good about it".

Sentence #1: I used to have an MU on the LRH datum "Pirates & Bums".

Sentence #2: Many multi-millionaire OTs made their fortunes by applying Ron's "Pirates & Bums" technology.

Sentence #3: It is not part of the "Pirates & Bums" tech to look at all the internet false data about OT millionaires
Richie Acunto, Matt Feshbach & Reid Slatkin going bankrupt.

Yeah, okay, I feel really good about it now!

I updated my post above.

But You forgot one, Dennis Negley going bankrupt. The cheif fundraiser at SFO Idle Orgs. :roflmao:

Joseph Barnes says
December 15, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Here’s some info about Dennis Negley.

OT VIII (old), Class IV (old, Apollo trained), Veteran Scientologist (active since early 70s). Husband of veteran staff member, Wendy Negley (nee Peterson), who trained to Class VIII in the late 60s (maybe early 70s) and was the Senior C/S San Francisco Day until 1996, when the Golden Age of Tech (squirrelled) came out. Dennis is currently a public, Wendy is currently the OES SFOD. Their daughter, Devin Weber (nee Negley) is the D/ED SFOD, is OEC trained and recently went Clear, after Golden Age of Tech II (non-squirrel, for now). Their son, Sean, is a declared SP and they have all disconnected from him. Sean was on staff for 10 years and after routing out, posted song lyrics on Facebook, including the song from TOOL with the line “Fuck L.Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones”. His sister saw the quote and reported him; “y’all busted”.

Dennis used to be a mortgage loan broker, helping a bunch of Scientologists refinance their homes so they can pay for more services/IAS donos/etc. In 2006/2007 the real estate market crashed and he lost his job as a loan broker, as well as his own house, and he ended up declaring bankruptcy. He would no longer be able to donate anything substantial to the IAS/etc. and in exchange he agreed to be a full-time fundraiser. Whenever there would be a fundraising event, he’d be there on stage. His deal was that he wouldn’t take any commission earned (since he was a public fundraiser) and that money would go straight back to the IAS, so that was him “doing his part”.

He was already pretty good at getting SF idiots to give money, during their Idle Morgue building fundraiser, so he wrote up all his successful actions. You can find his full 2003 write-up here:http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?16514-Cult-Fundraising-EventsHat-Write-Up. Though this addendum seems to have been written later. I wonder what the date on this is.

At some point after 2007, he was mid OT VII and unable to pay for his next “6-month check”. He was routed to Ethics and threatened with a Comm Ev if he couldn’t pay for his next trip. He ended up routing off the level, and later told me the story about it. He was sitting in a Qual Library and thought “Right now I’d be better off dead. … A ha! That’s a suicidal thought!” So he wrote something up to his D of P about it and was taken off the Flag base pretty much immediately. When he told all this to me, he called it his “getting out of prison story,” with a grin as he said it.
The more you know.

while I ain't Joseph, I do know this story to be true.

HelluvaHoax!

I updated my post above.

But You forgot one, Dennis Negley going bankrupt. The cheif fundraiser at SFO Idle Orgs. :roflmao:

while I ain't Joseph, I do know this story to be true.

Thanks, and we can add another one to the list of multi-millionaire OTs who flourished and prospered by using Ron's "PIRATES & BUMS" technology.

Steve Brackett, former husband of Nancy Cartwright.

Back in 2006, Steve was listed by the IAS under the status "GOLD MERITORIOUS", for donations of at least $1,000,000 (ref: IAS IMPACT magazine #115).

Later, he apparently did not apply the "Pirates & Bums" tech correctly and his finances tanked--after which he committed suicide by (literally) jumping off a bridge.

Sindy

Crusader

Sorry, but my case has been bogged for years on that PIRATES & BUMS reference.

I tried to Google it and came up with two (2) things:

1. A post I made 18 months ago begging for help. LOL

2. A random post someone made on another website long ago that said that "...the PIRATES & BUMS reference is something Ron said in the audiotaped lecture PDC #1.

Anybody know what is in PDC #1? Just checking. If nobody knows, I'll ask again next year. lol

ps: My Avatar has demanded that everyone stop referring to him as a "BUM". He states emphatically that he should be referred to as an OH (Operating Hobo).

It's so bizarre that I actually had THE PDC lecture transcripts, on a bookshelf next to my desk. Weird. Okay, I call Fair Use on this one:

Gib

Crusader
Thanks. I never read that before. That was really interesting.

Learn some Rhetoric, the 3 means of persuasion, and reread that letter by Hubbard to Dean Wilbur.

The easiest place to learn it enough to understand is here:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/11/14/classical-rhetoric-101-an-introduction/

"Protects you from intellectual despotism. I had a classics professor that said, “Advertising is the tool of the despot.” That idea really stuck with me. Since ancient times, powerful men have used propaganda to maintain control over their subjects. According to my professor, advertising is just a benign name for propaganda. Both rely on emotional appeals to change our ideas and feelings about a cause, position, or product."

Although I know you understand scientology is a hellvahoax.

JustSheila

Crusader

I know, but......

Why did anyone even want to be positioned with "BUMS"?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Is there something I am missing about the majesty of BumNess and BumTech?

I even asked my Avatar to consult me on this question about why Scientologists are proud of being compared to a bum and he said: "Why are you even asking me that, it's sooooo stupid! WTF is wrong with you?!" Shit, now I have an indignant, invalidative bum on my lines! lol

I'm sure it was a typo. What Ron really meant was Scientologists are all a bunch of butt pirates.

What was that you were saying about positioning?

Gib

Crusader
It's so bizarre that I actually had THE PDC lecture transcripts, on a bookshelf next to my desk. Weird. Okay, I call Fair Use on this one:

yes, :thumbsup:

It's that's third paragraph that begins with "Well".

Here Hubbard tries to say saving money by the Captains of Industry didn't work for them and they didn't save money, but yet were is the proof these Captains of Industry did what Hubbard said?

None. LOL

The way to get ahead is to save money.

But yet scientology no allows one to save money, if one is a working stiff. And Unless of course you are already able (before scientology) to make money, why you are the class of making the "able more able".

And us working stiffs thought we could become more able? Laugher.

What rhetoric by Hubbard. LOL