What's new

The Self-affirmations of L. Ron Hubbard

uniquemand

Unbeliever
No, no, no, it gave me no super-duper power to postulate. It did make it plain to me that I had a lot of different intentions conflicting and reducing my actual output, leaving me basically stationary in life, instead of moving towards a target. Everytime I'd get halfway to one goal or another, some other major goal of mine would distract me (major goal "to be romantic", or "to be studious", "to be experienced" [in the Hendrix meaning], etc.), and I couldn't make any progress.

It's not so much about increasing the power of your intention (thought there's a lot of song and dance about that sort of thing... "horsepower" of a thetan type talk), as clarifying what it is you are trying to bring it about, and making all of your actions amplify each other so that you achieve it.

Supposedly running out o/w enhances this ability to reach toward creation of your intentions. I've had subjective experiences of this. It wasn't magical, though. It was simply getting organized and ceasing spending my energy in other ways.

I don't think the shell game was "postulates". I think the shell game was "earlier similars". Whenever something didn't "lift", it was always assumed there was some earlier similar "charge". While there may have been, the key is really to figure out what decisions I made that push me away from doing what I consciously want to be doing, and examining that.

However, many people accuse me of trying to make sense out of nonsense! I continue to feel it was valuable to me, but I would agree there has to be a better way of learning it, without a destructive cult gumming everything up.

To me, it's like I was waking up to something, and what I was waking up to was a theory on artificial intelligence, or what a consciousness would have to be composed of. I thought Hubbard had it by the tail, but my understanding is he quit trying to map it out for whatever reason you want to believe. That theory was the goals-problem mass, which is scienobabble for a person in conflict with themself about what to do with their attention and time, and the idea is that you "dramatize" an identity when the environment cues you in a way programmed in from prior experience (engrams, implants, whatever, even successes). This still makes sense to me. I think our first real, powerful, general AI systems will have a complex set of goals, be capable of motion and plotting courses toward these goals, and be self-correcting. I don't think we are any different than this. Our goal sets are complex. Some of them are genetic programs (reproductive urge, pleasure/pain, hunger, etc.), some are programs we duplicate from watching others and interpreting their behavior.

When I noticed that the Church wasn't behaving in that manner, and started asking questions, I started seeing more and more that it was a facade. I had to leave when I felt that people were trying to make me see everything was okay, when it wasn't, and to ignore my own sense of self-conflict about taking any of this on-board on faith. They kept asking me to TRUST them. This is the nature of a confidence game. Based on small gains, I was asked to believe that there would be more down the line, worth completely becoming in thrall to the organization. I bought it for a little while, but then I lived with an OT V named Marta White in NYC. I formed a "hidden standard", because she seemed like she wasn't my concept of an OT in any way shape or form. I realized that the Clears I knew were generally pretty timid, and didn't want to talk about being Clear, or what it meant to them. Eventually, I realized that I was either going to walk away, or do what I was told, and that if I did what I was told, I had sold MYSELF out to the organization.

I had to weigh the cost of leaving to save my own sanity against the cost of losing my wife and children. There was no right decision. It was only degees of wrong. I figured I couldn't do anyone any good as a slave. So I left. But I left my folks on the field. They closed ranks against me. That's what being conscious is all about.

JustanotherEX

Patron with Honors
No, no, no, it gave me no super-duper power to postulate. It did make it plain to me that I had a lot of different intentions conflicting and reducing my actual output, leaving me basically stationary in life, instead of moving towards a target. Everytime I'd get halfway to one goal or another, some other major goal of mine would distract me (major goal "to be romantic", or "to be studious", "to be experienced" [in the Hendrix meaning], etc.), and I couldn't make any progress.

It's not so much about increasing the power of your intention (thought there's a lot of song and dance about that sort of thing... "horsepower" of a thetan type talk), as clarifying what it is you are trying to bring it about, and making all of your actions amplify each other so that you achieve it.

Supposedly running out o/w enhances this ability to reach toward creation of your intentions. I've had subjective experiences of this. It wasn't magical, though. It was simply getting organized and ceasing spending my energy in other ways.

I don't think the shell game was "postulates". I think the shell game was "earlier similars". Whenever something didn't "lift", it was always assumed there was some earlier similar "charge". While there may have been, the key is really to figure out what decisions I made that push me away from doing what I consciously want to be doing, and examining that.

However, many people accuse me of trying to make sense out of nonsense! I continue to feel it was valuable to me, but I would agree there has to be a better way of learning it, without a destructive cult gumming everything up.

To me, it's like I was waking up to something, and what I was waking up to was a theory on artificial intelligence, or what a consciousness would have to be composed of. I thought Hubbard had it by the tail, but my understanding is he quit trying to map it out for whatever reason you want to believe. That theory was the goals-problem mass, which is scienobabble for a person in conflict with themself about what to do with their attention and time, and the idea is that you "dramatize" an identity when the environment cues you in a way programmed in from prior experience (engrams, implants, whatever, even successes). This still makes sense to me. I think our first real, powerful, general AI systems will have a complex set of goals, be capable of motion and plotting courses toward these goals, and be self-correcting. I don't think we are any different than this. Our goal sets are complex. Some of them are genetic programs (reproductive urge, pleasure/pain, hunger, etc.), some are programs we duplicate from watching others and interpreting their behavior.

When I noticed that the Church wasn't behaving in that manner, and started asking questions, I started seeing more and more that it was a facade. I had to leave when I felt that people were trying to make me see everything was okay, when it wasn't, and to ignore my own sense of self-conflict about taking any of this on-board on faith. They kept asking me to TRUST them. This is the nature of a confidence game. Based on small gains, I was asked to believe that there would be more down the line, worth completely becoming in thrall to the organization. I bought it for a little while, but then I lived with an OT V named Marta White in NYC. I formed a "hidden standard", because she seemed like she wasn't my concept of an OT in any way shape or form. I realized that the Clears I knew were generally pretty timid, and didn't want to talk about being Clear, or what it meant to them. Eventually, I realized that I was either going to walk away, or do what I was told, and that if I did what I was told, I had sold MYSELF out to the organization.

I had to weigh the cost of leaving to save my own sanity against the cost of losing my wife and children. There was no right decision. It was only degees of wrong. I figured I couldn't do anyone any good as a slave. So I left. But I left my folks on the field. They closed ranks against me. That's what being conscious is all about.

My apologies for the delayed response. I'm busy being exceedingly industrious these days and priorities are as they must be.

Oh yes, I woud agree, you learned "something" useful! Having snarled and conflicting intents is really disruptive! But the information is hardly restricted to the church. It's probably been around thousands, perhaps even tens of thousands of years, here on this planet.

Why I refer to it as a "shell game" is primarily because I view it as a simple piece of a larger puzzle. Sure, there is a chance a person may guess the puzzle from viewing a small piece of it, but making the usual grand (and unfulfilled) promises for handing out that one piece is no reason for great reward..... yet, we must keep our exchange in or we will lose the gains, no?

To me, a shell game.

Please consider the "horsepower of a thetan" aspect. That's the biggest shell game of all and constitutes "founding canon" from St Ron himself. Ahhh, audit to clear and you get "this"! So you audit to "clear".

Well, ok, you get that on the OT levels......... So you go up the levels.

Did we forget to mention that the REAL OT levels start beyond OT-8? Oh! You had a MU! How cute. Hahahahahaha! You really need to know how to know! Don't worry, the "real OT levels" will clear that up for you.

Shell game, nothing more. One need only judge it by the early and original words of its own founder. There are certainly useful tidbits within it, but they exist outside of Scientology teachings and predate them too! So good St. Ron was the originator of just what now? He invented or "discovered" just what exactly?

That, of course, leads to a path of argument between those who still grant credence to the space opera tales and those who don't. I'm not going there. People can broaden their horizons or not. I've no interest in crusading to save them from themselves. It's just a journey for them to undertake... or not. You chose to undertake that journey and regain your free will. I'm glad you did and sorry you took losses in the process. As you said, there was no "right" decision. A very sad thing that happens sometimes. Perhaps it will work out in the end... I certainly wish that for you.

Incidentally, my experience of OTs mirrors your own. In the end, they are just people. The "status" of OT is an artificial thing only given weight by Scientologists themselves. It's an illusion, albeit heavily propagandized within the ranks.

As a final thought, let me expand on my perceptions of a thing. There are certainly issues other than a persons intentions/counterintentions involved in "making things happen". The intentions of others and the connections you make willingly or unwillingly are another factor. And there is a nonverbal component as well. That, being a nonverbal thing, is difficult to put into words. I'm sure some will understand already. It may be part of what you describe earlier regarding "artificial intelligence" in an odd sort of way, but it's a very real thing. To me it simply appears that there are pretty hard coded "rules" by which the subject operates. They seem to work independently of what you, I, or anyone may desire. Learning to put that into operation seems a lifes work.

tiptoethrutheminefield

Patron with Honors
Axioms of Hermes Trismegistus

Affirmations are a somewhat common occultic practice. I'm sure it's where Hubbard got the idea of postulates and setting postulates.

After messing around in metaphysics (metting around?) I discovered Hermetics about 3 years ago. You can google them under Hermes Trismegistus and the Kybalion as well, I think. Anyway, I was surprised at how many of its axioms seem to form the basis of later mystic thought and practices.

Here's a quote from the section called "CAUSATION" that I find interesting in light of Hubbards Affirmations:

The majority of people are carried along like the falling stone, obedient to environment, outside influences and internal moods, desires, etc., not to speak of the desires and wills of others stronger than themselves, heredity, environment, and suggestion, carrying them along without resistence on their part, or the exercise of the Will. Moved like the pawns on the checkerboard of life, they play their parts and are laid aside after the game is over.

But the Masters, knowing the rules of the game, rise above the plane of material life, and placing themselves in touch with the higher powers of their nature, dominate their own moods, characters, qualities, and polarity, as well as the environment surrounding them and thus become Movers in the game, instead of Pawns — Causes instead of Effects. The Masters do not escape the Causation of the higher planes, but fall in with the higher laws, and thus master circumstances on the lower plane. They thus form a conscious part of the Law, instead of being mere blind instruments. While they Serve on the Higher Planes, they Rule on the Material Plane.

Here's the link
http://www.kybalion.org/kybalion.asp

tiptoethrutheminefield

Patron with Honors
Interesting.

I hope it's obvious that I don't think LRH was a "master" of anything except manipulation. I'm interested in how so much of mystic thought involves "thinking" our way to special powers.

Also, should anyone else be interested, too, I thought the parts about Parsons in the "Course" part of the Affirmations were spooky.....like Hubbard was scared of something about Parsons. Did he think Parsons had done some voodoo on him?

Again, I have no inkling if anything like mystical powers even exists--I tend lately NOT to think so. It seems Hubbard may have believed strongly that such powers are real. Maybe that is why he was able/driven to convince others?

AnonyMike

Patron
I thought the parts about Parsons in the "Course" part of the Affirmations were spooky.....like Hubbard was scared of something about Parsons. Did he think Parsons had done some voodoo on him?
... It seems Hubbard may have believed strongly that such powers are real. Maybe that is why he was able/driven to convince others?

ok lets see what did he write:

"(d) Any distaste I may have for Jack Parsons originated in a psychic experiment. Such distaste is
foolish. He is my friend and comrade-in-arms.

(m) That I have only friendship for Jack Parsons.

Jack is also an adept. You love and respect him as a friend. He cannot take offense at what you
do. You will not wrong him because you love him."

So far from the Source^^ of the admissions eh affirmations eh anyway...

If you read other sources* and try to get a picture... mine does look as follows:

Hubbard was interested in many Magic and came to know via Sara Northrup Jack Parsons and who knows Hubbard, knows also what he did.
He did what he always did and what you also can read black on white in the affirmations. He told Jack his usual adventure stories. Ron always did this and you read in the A's that he did not really like this on himself, but he did this always because he wanted to be liked, he wanted to be treated like person of whom you have to have respect though his kid days are long gone at5 that time and everybody treated him with respect, but Ron wasn't sure about that and so, and because it also was his temper he told dazzling stories what had happened to him and how great it, he whatever was, just, to be interesting to be amusing so that people like him.
Hubbard was intelligent, read a lot and had a great imagination. Also Hubbard had an other relation to truth then most people hav. He lied to himself, he couldn't stand critique and loss and when things went wrong or did not come out as he wanted them to be and so he lied to himself about this and he did that since he was a kid, because it was then when he was mistreated and all this started. I think it was no problem for him to create in an instant a magical history of his own that parsons would believe. And boy he believed it:
'About three months ago I met Captain L. Ron Hubbard.... Although he has no formal training in Magick, he has an extraordinary amount of experience and understanding in the field. From some of his experiences I deduced that he is in direct touch with some higher intelligence, possibly his Guardian Angel. He describes his Angel as a beautiful winged woman with red hair whom he calls the Empress and who has guided him through his life and saved him many times. He is the most Thelemic person I have ever met and is in complete accord with our own principles."

See what I mean, this is from Parsons words in a letter to A. Crowley.
See what I mean??
Captain Hubbard? No formal training in magic, but yes he has an "extraordinary amount of experience"
what did hubbard tell him? Can you imagine? He told him stories. hubbard read a lot on Magic and knew from writing how the stuff worked and he told all his knowledge parsons in a way.. well how he told us that he was once on mars and he was nearly run over by a train. That is hubbard.

And now for the mentiones in the affirmations.

I do not find that spooky, its rather pathetic. A really thelemic person would have ripped off parsons and would not have spend at least a thought about him. Parsons was a fool like everyone that got trapped by hubbard.
But see what Hubbard admits: HE IS SORRY.
He is not the proud con man that everybody hates and searches to condemn.

"Any distaste I may have for Jack Parsons"
"(m) That I have only friendship for Jack Parsons."
"You will not wrong him because you love him."

What does this tell us what he writes here???

People, also the Anti Hubbard fraction always makes the mistake, lifting Hubbard to a kind of evil being.

Hubbard wasn't evil, Hubbard wasn't even a being, he was a normal man, a guy as everyone. Driven, fearfull and with all odds and ends.

Oh yes, he lied about himself, but man be honest *g* everybody lies!!

This is my point.
M1ke

Sources: John Atack "Piece of blue Sky"
Russel Miller, bare Faced messiah
theonemediator.com
Lermanet

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I must be convinced that I suffer no reaction from any minor disciplinary action, that all such were minor. My service was honorable, my initiative and ability high. I have nothing to fear from friends about my service. I can forget such things as Admiral Braystead. Such people are unworthy of my
notice.

(u) That my code is to be all things a "magus" must be, that I am those things. That I burn high and bright and will last as a potent and brilliant force until well after this century has run.

Your vocabulary is under your complete conscious dictatorship.

You have magnificent power but you are humble and calm and patient in
that power. For you control all forces under you as you wish.

Men are your slaves.

You are not in competition with them (other writers) for your work is infinitely superior and will sell quickly as you desire. Editorial desire does not affect you for you can write whatever they publish with ease, and any length.

You are able to trance No other human being can hypnotize you in any way. You can believe or disbelieve whatever you read at will. You
cannot be hypnotized by any but yourself.

Darkness is a cloak you may don. Your guardian and your own courage protect you utterly in darkness. You control anything you meet in
darkness for that is part of your universe.

The One Command applied but slightly to the spiritual world and other planes. There is psychic will power, possessed by a very few.You
possess such will power and it is enormously strong and irresistible

You use the minds of men They do not use your mind or affect it in any way. You have a sacred spiritual mind, too strong, too high to be
touched. Your league with Higher Beings, your mighty Guardian and the All Powerful, renders you beyond all human criticism.

You are kind and considerate to all because you are so powerful. You need never defend your motives to anyone because your motives are right

You have never done wrong and need never apologize to anyone You never justify or explain your acts because you are careful that these acts are good and kind.

On plagiarising
Anything which goes through your fingers can
come through your mouth

Stick to your true adventures.
Tell nothing discreditable but tell them well. Or if you wish, as you will, tell adventures which happened to others People accept them
better.

ON enemies

No enemy can stand against you.

The lot of humanity does not outrage you. Its government is merely amusing

You can be merciless when your will is crossed and you have the right to be merciless.

You are just and kind.

You are merciless to any who cross your rule but they do not affect you emotionally.

You have no fear of anyone for everyone in your own Universe is under your dominion You will never tell them, never explain. They know.

Last edited:

Feral

Rogue male
Good point.

Maybe in Claire's case it is a good point, but in Hubbard's case he was first of all not 14, he was in his mid 30s and most importantly all of his came true, indicating a lasting or persisting intention.

Those that claim that these weren't important just seem squeamish to me.

I have not read the whole thread, but on the issue of the way we change, and whether or not Hub's affirmation's can show his intentions, having being written at the beginning or before the beginning of the dianetics/scientology cult:

I have also changed over the years.
But I think there are some things about character that might not change. I am not up with the psych theories on this, I hope someone will chip in....
Anyway, even though some things have changed about me, there are some things that have been fundamental and have not changed. For example, fundamental attitudes about people, or my "positioning" in relation to others. I have always wanted to be in a job which was in some sort of helping relationship to others. There are reasons why I never achieved that earlier, but if I could have controlled my life I would have achieved it early on, but I was derailed, but when was able to start controlling my destinity --to some degree---I directed myself into the typre of job I had always wanted to do. It is/was part of my fundamental character.

So here's a question:
If, when you were in you early 30's, you had written affirmations about what sort of relationship you would like with people, as a *postulate* about fulfiling your lifetime hopes, would they be similar to the way you feel now?

Did Hubtit write his affirmations as an expression of his fundamental character and "positioning" in relationship to all other people? If so, it is not surprising that his character, as expressed in his affirmations would be observable throughout scientology.

An obvious example is his domination and total control, not letting anyone else share the power (all men are your slaves)
Veda has given lots of other examples.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientology Inc.'s settlement agreement with Gerry Armstrong was a "global settlement." (It involved many separate cases, where any one person refusing to settle would derail the agreement for all others, thus imposing a form of duress on each person, who knew that others, often in debt to friends and family, having hospital bills, mortgages, etc. were in need of the funds from a settlement). Armstrong, under pressure of this "global settlement," agreed to the terms of 11 December 1986:

In essence, he was expected to remain silent on all things having to do with L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. The agreement also specifically stipulated the return of "All originals and copies of documents commonly known as the 'Affirmations' written by L. Ron Hubbard."

Omar Garrison, Hubbard's official biographer - whom Armstrong had assisted - also signed a similar agreement.

Scientology Inc. took possession of Hubbard's 'Affirmations', which are more extensive than those currently available on the Net as the (1946) 'Admissions'. However, there were "leaks," as copies of the 'Affirmations' had been made by individuals not involved with the settlement, prior to the settlement, and are now "out there," and are (in part) currently available on the Net.

Scientology has the complete existing record of Hubbard's 'Affirmations' which, apparently, date from the 1930s through the late 1940s, and has no intention of allowing anyone to see them.

Hopefully, in time, more of these leaked 'Affirmations' will become available.

The content of Hubbard's 'Affirmations' is, of course, problematic for Scientology, however, there's more - It opens the door to two areas that Scientology Inc. considers dangerous to Hubbard's image: That Hubbard practiced self-hypnosis, and that Hubbard used drugs, notably psycho-active pharmaceutical drugs, much of his life, before and after 1950.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=198773&postcount=21

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=56246&postcount=798

Has there been any further leaks of Hubbards Affirmations, in reading another link i noticed the introduction of The Affirmations was 30 pages long.

My Question is what percentage of the Affirmations is in the public Domain and how much still to be leaked?

50/50?

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
The parallel..

The Great Secret
by L. Ron Hubbard

[40's short stories] $ 5.29

Fanner Marston was raised a slave as a child, became a petty street thief as a teen, and now masters his own craft and crew as a grown man. He's also gone completely mad. Driven by privation, with a vicious greed and slavering lust for power, Marston alone of forty men has survived the perilous trek through a blistering desert to the magical city of Parva, where legend says a secret awaits which will give him absolute control over the Universe. However, Marston finds the key to all power is not at all what he expected. . .

http://www.feedbooks.com/item/9604/the-great-secret

One day we were talking about the price of gold, or something like that, and he said to me, very emphatically, that he was obsessed by an insatiable lust for power and money. I'll never forget it. Those were his exact words, "an insatiable lust for power and money".' David Mayo

All men shall be my slaves! All women shall succumb to my charms! All mankind shall grovel at my feet and not know why! L Ron Hubbard

uniquemand

Unbeliever
This reminds me of some of the comments made by Junior about dear old dad taking pains to hide his actual sources of power.... but I have really never been quite sure of what to make of Junior. He was in a position to know though. But just how truthful was he?

Incidentally, despite a difficult beginning when I first arrived and was trying to piss the OSA off, I've no doubt we would agree on a great many things.

No matter what I say here, it will probably sound argumentative even if I don't wish it. But let me try anyway.

I surmise that IF the church had real and powerful technology for teaching people to effectively harness the power of their own intent, then it would lead to fulfilment, in part, of the promises made on the subject of clear, etc.

That doesn't seem to be the case at this juncture... Or does it? Here, let me try to make an object levitate... *looks at another person in the room & asks them to pick up an object... they do! asks them to put it down & they do!* Yep, my intent works just fine! lol Perhaps someone forgot to distribute the operators manuals for this universe? (humor.... but technically I DID CAUSE the object to levitate)

I'm not implying that what you learned was of no benefit to you, but did you gain any super-duper postulating power from it? That may sound like a dig, but it isn't intended that way. There are just some things that appear to have been a "shell game". The "technology" regarding "postulates" simply appears to me, at this latter juncture, to be one of them. A simple misdirection or obfustication of the simplicity of the matter. That's not to say people can't usefully employ those teachings, but that better exists, that's all.

As for simplicity? Well, things MUST be complicated or there is no game. That should give some people pause to think. Personally, I hope you are one of them.

I'm not interested in intention as "magical spell". I don't believe intention is the cause of life, or anything else, but merely a capability of a conscious organism to direct their own efforts. The efforts still need to occur. Without them, it's just magical thinking, and laughable.

From his affirmations here's the clearing process that he repeated on himself! :D
You can consciously banish any train of thought from your mind, any time, any song. You can recall words, speeches, whole books verbatim at will. You are not a victim of chance thoughts. You are in powerful and wise conscious control of all your thinking. You are a master without limits. Your brain has no limits, consciously, unconsciously or psychically. You can perform any mental trick or stunt consciously of which you have ever heard. You are in perfect poise, balance and control of your brain.

And here is what he magically repeated to himself to become an expert on all the rest of us! :D
You understand all the workings of the minds of humans around you, for you are a doctor of minds, bodies and influences.

Sounds like a good 'clearing process' to me!

And he became an expert on all the rest of us, poor, powerless, gullible victims?

This is an attraction based universe so the only way anyone could interact with LRH or his creation (Dianetics and Scientology) would be if they were in some way a match.

AnonKat

Crusader
Sounds like a good 'clearing process' to me!

And he became an expert on all the rest of us, poor, powerless, gullible victims?

This is an attraction based universe so the only way anyone could interact with LRH or his creation (Dianetics and Scientology) would be if they were in some way a match.

Welcome I like your name, thank you for digging up this old thread.

Looky here, I see a crooked line in history 1988 my ass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-affirmation

The theory of self-affirmation is a psychological theory that was first proposed by Claude Steele (1988) with the premise that people are motivated to maintain the integrity of the self. The ultimate goal of the self is to protect an image of its self-integrity, morality and adequacy. On the whole, integrity is defined as the sense that one is a good and appropriate person and the term "appropriate" refers to behavior that is fitting or suitable given the cultural norms and the salient demands on people within their culture. This theory explains why people respond in such a way to restore self-worth when their image of self-integrity is threatened. In this theory, people would respond to the threat using the indirect psychological adaptation of affirming alternative self resources unrelated to the provoking threat. As a result, these "self-affirmations" enable people to deal with threatening events and information without resorting to defensive biases, by fulfilling the need to protect self-integrity in the face of threat. In fact, this self-affirmation allows people to respond to the threatening information in a more open and even-handed manner.

Re: reply to Zinj

I'm with you on that, Zinjifar. Look where auto-hypnosis eventually got Hubbard: Exploited by a psychopath, screaming and hallucinating, and euthanized with Vistaril shots in his buttocks.
Auto-hypnosis is very different than formulating goals in life and working to achieve those goals.
Smitty

Yeah, look where it got him... unbelievably HUGE amounts of money flowing to him, HORDES of 'disciples' hanging on his every word, slaving away for him, indulging his every whim, drawing his bath, lighting his cigs. He had yachts, mansions, prime properties, and countless minions to serve him...wealth and power, exactly what he wanted.

But like the rest of us, he held beliefs that served him well and ones that served him not so well. And it was those beliefs that didn't serve him so well that reared up and bit him in the ass. They'll do that every time. And even that is a service... it helps to more clearly define desire.

You are using self-hypnosis every time you repeat a belief to yourself, even one so innocuous as 'a sane and sensible human being formulates goals and then works to achieve them' is just an idea that you have, and are continually, hypnotizing yourself into believing. It is not a hard and fast rule, a universal law, it is not true all by itself, it only becomes true, for you, if you believe that it is true. And that is not true just because LRH said it is true or because I said it is true, it is the way this world is set up.