The Serial Murderer Recruited to AOLA

G

Gottabrain

I've been wanting to tell this story for years. It's such a great story and I was there so this is a firsthand account.

Back in around 1983 or so, when we were recruiting raw people into the Sea Org, Denise Mulkey, then HAS AOLA, recruited a man named MICHAEL SHAY (possibly Michael O'Shea) for HCO.

He was a good looking man, dark hair, olive skin, and wore a huge gold cross and claimed he was very religious.

I had been busted (aGAIN, I don't even remember for what, I was a regular at the decks) and was working temporarily as a Letter Reg. Michael Shay was assigned Dir of Comm. His stat was Letters Out.

Every week my stat was a little up (for time off, of course) but his always skyrocketed. He was commended and acknowledged and blah blah.

Denise had done his sec checks, by the way. He passed with flying colours. (Another example of the "unbeatable emeter"). He wasn't a Scn, but we all knew he was such a religious man.

But staff were starting to miss their mail and nobody knew where all the letters came from that were on the letters out, but sure enough, the bulk postage meter showed that the money had been spent. And well, you know, Michael had that big gold cross on and he was such a religious man and had an explanation for everything.

There was a sweet non-Scn working with me in the Letter Reg section. A young black woman, can't remember her name just now, so I'll call her Ingrid. One Monday morning she came into work clearly shooken up.

"What's wrong?" I asked. With a little prodding, she told me.
"Ingrid" had gone on a date with Michael Shay. She said it was the creepiest experience of her life. She told me he had taken her for a walk and then told her in a creepy way how he had to get rid of his wife. She was so scared, she wasn't sure she'd make it home. She quit a few weeks later.

So I told Denise, hey, those aren't my letters out, and nobody was working Saturday. But I was scared in a way I can't even describe, terrified to the bone. Michael knew I was onto him and if looks could kill - well, that expression met nothing until you met someone like Michael. Denise started investigating me for using a memory key on the typewriter for using set phrases on folders where we knew nothing about the person. So I asked her to RPF me (Please! Please! I'll be safe there!!! I thought) and she did.

Within a week or two, Michael Shay was asked by one of his roommates to lend him his car. He did, but not without a lot of argument. Unknown to Mr. Shay, the SO member drove the car out of state. He was pulled over and thrown on the ground with several guns to his body and head because they had mistaken him for MIchael Shay.

Seems Michael Shay was wanted in several states for murder.

In the middle of the night, police from several states came to his dorm in Big Blue with guns to his head and arrested him.

This is a true story and can be verified with police reports.

altruistichedonist

Patron with Honors
Sincere thanks Gottabrain.
That's gotta be one for the record books.:thumbsup:

Can you not bulk stamp a pile of blank envelopes and then sell them on the street ?

Also, in my silly org in the 90's, we had the 12 year old adopted daughter of our C/S write letters. They consisted of name, content: Hello. How are you ?, and signature.

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Being curious about these things, I looked, but couldn't find any such Michael under Shea, Shay, or O'Shea. That said, the case is old enough that it predates news on the net.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I'm pretty sure Lulu Belle also posted about this when ESMB first started up. She can verify that it really did happen.

G

Gottabrain

Yeah, Lulu Belle and I worked together. We were good friends then. She's more awesome than you know. I'm going to have to read her version of it. The name is correct, though. Not CA police. I remember the name because the vision of this guy getting woken up in the dorm with all these guys there with a gun to his head by a cop saying "Michael Shay..." never left me. He also had a number of similar names, BTW.

Re the postage: What he did was stamp pieces of paper and take them to the post office and cash them out.

He also stole a heap of cheques sent to staff members, but as far as I know, he never found a way to cash them. He still had one from my mother when he was busted.

And I had a nice little holiday on the PAC RPF (really, it was okay - no bad experiences then) for about 3-4 weeks and when he was arrested they cancelled it.

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
Sincere thanks Gottabrain.
That's gotta be one for the record books.:thumbsup:

Can you not bulk stamp a pile of blank envelopes and then sell them on the street ?

Also, in my silly org in the 90's, we had the 12 year old adopted daughter of our C/S write letters. They consisted of name, content: Hello. How are you ?, and signature.

Back when I used to open up Cof$ mail instead of using it to house-train my dog, I believe I'd gotten letters like that from the same kid.
Hmmmm. Maybe there's more here than meets the eye because as I write this I'm recalling that some of those were from adult staff.....maybe phishing for new public whose TRs were cemented "in" and just have to ack the comm.
Kind of a recovery cycle for the robotic ones.
Yeah...yeah, that's it.
Oh thanks. I feel better. I knew there was a reason for using up the paper and the postage.
:yes:

Miss Penguin

Patron with Honors
Letters out is such a stat push. Once in a great, great while I get an actual true communication that has something to do with me.

I can see how criminals would find it appealing to hide out in the S.O.

Wisened One

Crusader
Wow...soooo creeeepy! :nervous: GLAD nothing happened to you or the girl that dated him, etc! WOW, sounds like he used being in the SO as a hiding place, huh? :faceslap:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
As an interesting coincidence, around the same time (early 1980's, I forget the exact year), NY Fdn recruited a guy named Mark Harrison. They were so impressed with him they made him the HAS straight out. He was always dressed in a nice suit, neatly groomed. He said he was a computer programmer working at the Fort Hamilton Army base.

Months go by, he starts a relationship with an org public named Judy Heiss. Judy was a bartender with an occasional actress part in a soap opera.

Well, it finally came out that he wasn't working as a programmer, he was making his living as a con man, passing bad checks. He also was skimming org postage funds.

He was finally found out, and dropped out of sight. Judy was devastated. Mark shows up at Judy's apartment one night, probably seeking shelter. They argue, Judy makes like she's going to call the cops, he flips out and strangles her with the phone cord. The cops finally caught him and put him in prison. His involvement with the Org was hushed up.

dexter gelfand

Patron Meritorious
Recruiting murderers for HCO

I've been wanting to tell this story for years. It's such a great story and I was there so this is a firsthand account.

Back in around 1983 or so, when we were recruiting raw people into the Sea Org, Denise Mulkey, then HAS AOLA, recruited a man named MICHAEL SHAY (possibly Michael O'Shea) for HCO.

He was a good looking man, dark hair, olive skin, and wore a huge gold cross and claimed he was very religious.

I had been busted (aGAIN, I don't even remember for what, I was a regular at the decks) and was working temporarily as a Letter Reg. Michael Shay was assigned Dir of Comm. His stat was Letters Out.

Every week my stat was a little up (for time off, of course) but his always skyrocketed. He was commended and acknowledged and blah blah.

Denise had done his sec checks, by the way. He passed with flying colours. (Another example of the "unbeatable emeter"). He wasn't a Scn, but we all knew he was such a religious man.

But staff were starting to miss their mail and nobody knew where all the letters came from that were on the letters out, but sure enough, the bulk postage meter showed that the money had been spent. And well, you know, Michael had that big gold cross on and he was such a religious man and had an explanation for everything.

There was a sweet non-Scn working with me in the Letter Reg section. A young black woman, can't remember her name just now, so I'll call her Ingrid. One Monday morning she came into work clearly shooken up.

"What's wrong?" I asked. With a little prodding, she told me.
"Ingrid" had gone on a date with Michael Shay. She said it was the creepiest experience of her life. She told me he had taken her for a walk and then told her in a creepy way how he had to get rid of his wife. She was so scared, she wasn't sure she'd make it home. She quit a few weeks later.

So I told Denise, hey, those aren't my letters out, and nobody was working Saturday. But I was scared in a way I can't even describe, terrified to the bone. Michael knew I was onto him and if looks could kill - well, that expression met nothing until you met someone like Michael. Denise started investigating me for using a memory key on the typewriter for using set phrases on folders where we knew nothing about the person. So I asked her to RPF me (Please! Please! I'll be safe there!!! I thought) and she did.

Within a week or two, Michael Shay was asked by one of his roommates to lend him his car. He did, but not without a lot of argument. Unknown to Mr. Shay, the SO member drove the car out of state. He was pulled over and thrown on the ground with several guns to his body and head because they had mistaken him for MIchael Shay.

Seems Michael Shay was wanted in several states for murder.

In the middle of the night, police from several states came to his dorm in Big Blue with guns to his head and arrested him.

This is a true story and can be verified with police reports.

Believe it or not, right around the same point in time, the New York Foundation org hired a guy and posted him in HCO (as HAS) who was new to Scientology, His name was Mark Harrison, and he thereafter strangled his fiancee (who had been a PC of mine) to death. For real.

I remember at the time of his posting, asking the ED, Jerry Indursky, why in hell he was posting somebody so totally new to such an important post. The answer? "He'll be great, he's got a military background" Hmmm. Maybe not, Jerry.

Best, Dex

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Verification and validation

As an interesting coincidence, around the same time (early 1980's, I forget the exact year), NY Fdn recruited a guy named Mark Harrison. They were so impressed with him they made him the HAS straight out. He was always dressed in a nice suit, neatly groomed. He said he was a computer programmer working at the Fort Hamilton Army base.

Months go by, he starts a relationship with an org public named Judy Heiss. Judy was a bartender with an occasional actress part in a soap opera.

Well, it finally came out that he wasn't working as a programmer, he was making his living as a con man, passing bad checks. He also was skimming org postage funds.

He was finally found out, and dropped out of sight. Judy was devastated. Mark shows up at Judy's apartment one night, probably seeking shelter. They argue, Judy makes like she's going to call the cops, he flips out and strangles her with the phone cord. The cops finally caught him and put him in prison. His involvement with the Org was hushed up.

Believe it or not, right around the same point in time, the New York Foundation org hired a guy and posted him in HCO (as HAS) who was new to Scientology, His name was Mark Harrison, and he thereafter strangled his fiancee (who had been a PC of mine) to death. For real.

I remember at the time of his posting, asking the ED, Jerry Indursky, why in hell he was posting somebody so totally new to such an important post. The answer? "He'll be great, he's got a military background" Hmmm. Maybe not, Jerry.

Best, Dex

Well group...I guess these two posts, within a couple of minutes of each other, prove a point, huh?

EP

Wisened One

Crusader
Wow, you guys. :nervous:

There were a few 'crazy' people who went nuts in our Org (Miami Org. It was Public, I'm talking about in this case). It was scary to watch! :nervous:

G

Gottabrain

Wow, Dexter & Enthetan, that it was all around the same time is kind of...weird. Was that the Age of Aquarius? Shoot, what zodiac sign are we in now anyway? Hope we passed the psycho murderer and Cult zodiac age of Aquarius already! (sorry, Aquarius, nothing personal, but, well, OUCH! At least you ended Viet Nam, though)

Re the Letter Reg - thanks for asking! I was a bit worried about her even after so called her to be sure she was okay. She was. She survived it. Tough and smart little cookie, that girl. She wasn't a recruit, but hired NSO. Darn good girl and glad she never joined and ended up okay.

freethinker

Sponsor
Letters out is such a stat push. Once in a great, great while I get an actual true communication that has something to do with me.

I can see how criminals would find it appealing to hide out in the S.O.

Has anyone been successful at applying the letter writing policy?
After four times through my assigned section of CF I couldn't think of a damn thing that would elicit a response from someone who had only sent in a MIC card. I began to do canned letters and brought the wrath of all the Execs down on me. Even though it was later discovered that when they wrote (which was rare) some did the exact same thing.

Free

Mystic

Crusader
This dude sounds like he would have made a good OSA operative. Darn, the SO got him instead. Oh well, sometimes even scifaggOTs make a mistake.

G

Gottabrain

Free thinker and Penguin, I couldn't agree with you two more. I was told I was supposed to "perceive" the person somehow with no info whatsoever.

Oh yeh, the letters out are directly proportional to your income, regardless whether the address is good, the person hates Scilo, or if it says one line or twenty. All are equally quality letters... it's an "outflow inflow" thing, right?

What a colossal waste of time and line of bull. At least they're supporting the post office.