What's new

The Specter of OSA

Feral

Rogue male
I'm sure many people lurk here and will not post in case OSA tracks them down and ruins their lives.

I know several people who won't even look at critical sites in case the cult finds out that they have been communicating with the 'enemy'. I also have good friends who have been out for literally years that the cult has tracked down with 'skip trace' technology and these people became terrified when they opened the door to find a team of SO members.

On the surface the general population just wouldn't understand this, after all we're talking about a church, ....aren't we? It's not like we're dealing with the mafia or the gestapo.

So, why the concern? I think every Scientologist has been coerced for money or membership to the point of 'breaking' and sometimes we are talking $100,000 plus in money or a billion years in membership. As unreal as that number of years may seem to some surely anyone can see it is a demand to at least give up ones whole life for 'the cause'.

To the degree a person might resist the pressure comes on in commensurate amounts to break them down, in fact the greater the sacrifice being asked the more force and trickery is employed to achieve the objective.

The result is extremely unpleasant whether you persevere or not. Exes have this 'engram' as a learning experience, they know that the dog can bite.

Scientologists are also aware of the hatred that is held by the Execs for anyone who might oppose the forward thrust of the group, SPs, Psychs, squirrels and the like, all scientologists know that the church is at war with these people and will stop at nothing to render them harmless.

The truth is that if OSA had the resources and the ability it would annihilate every last trace of opposition, like Ron said; 'We would rather see you dead than incapable". Sadly for them they don't have either the resources or the ability, and every day the ranks of those who would see the abuses of the cult end swell with new supporters. So with each passing day Scientology's resources are further stretched.

No, they don't have the ability to come and mess up your life for simply posting the fact you don't trust them any more and you have departed the group. They're too busy defending against the thousands of people that they have abused or betrayed.

Last edited:

DCAnon

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hai OSA :moon:

One year, two months and 18 days of speaking out against them, going to protests and shaking my butt at them, and generally being an enormous pain in their ass. :happydance: And I never even got a Cease and Desist letter! (Which means I haven't had a Cease and Desist cookie party like all the other cool kids. *crycry*) I'm just getting started. If a 24 year old fat girl can do it, no one has any excuses!

Carmel

Crusader
Some good points Feral. :thumbsup:

As you've said, OSA is "stretched" to the max these days - they don't have the time and resources to come after one who is simply posting on the net, 'cause now there are thousands opposing scn on the net. It's a lost cause for them because they are just too busy trying to contend with those who are active 'critics', and those who are suing them.

And besides that - they don't want anymore 'enemies'. Unless you're an active 'enemy', it appears that these days they are 'crawling' and being very 'nice' to keep ya on side. The last thing that they want to do is piss someone off (one who has been relatively 'passive') because they know that if they do, then that person may well and probably will retaliate.

From those I know here posting on the board, you've got to do more than just post here, for OSA to act and get people to disconnect from you etc. It seems that what OSA will do, does vary in the different locations, but they have thousands running scared and/or 'hiding', and that's just a bitch of a thing for the people in that position. From my perspective it's even worse, because 95% of the these people "hiding" have nothing to fear, in reality.

It's a tough one though I know, and I understand the 'fear'. It's just a bitch though that thousands now who have left the "church", are not letting go and getting on with their lives due to that bloody 'fear' which the fu'king church has so successfully installed. :angry: :pullhair:

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
For me it wasnt so much the fear of them finding me - although that did make me nervous because I was afraid they would be able to convince me to go back - it was more the threat of "keep your mouth shut about what happened to you, or we convince everyone you love in the church how horrid you are, and make them hate you by declaring you". Thats what used to keep me awake at night.

I remember one time, about 2 years after I had left, I was waiting in line in McDonalds. Two guys in front of me turned, and I recognised one as a friend of mine when I had been on staff. A lovely guy who I respected and got along with really well, he had a wonderful sense of humour. I gave a shy smile, afterall, I hadnt seen him since Id left. The look of absolute, withering HATRED and DISGUST he gave me, before deliberately turning his back on me so he didnt have to look at what he thought was a revolting SP, was the worst feeling in the world. That stopped me from ever speaking out, or saying anything against the church for years.

Now I realise that even though they may hate me for leaving, eventually they too will get sick of the constant regging, living below the poverty level, incorrect ethics handlings and the misery that comes from getting NOWHERE while working to death... and then they will understand.

My friends in the "wog world" would never treat anyone as badly as a Scientologist would. Not over a piece of yellow paper.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Too true, cantsay.

Sooner or later the contradiction between the promised expansion and prosperity and the reality of contraction and poverty makes even the most fixed cultie start looking.

OSAtrolls out there, WE love you, even if your seniors don't :D

Carmel

Crusader
<snip>
Not over a piece of yellow paper.

Oh my God, Girl, did ya have to mention the piece of yellow paper? :coolwink: Alanzo is around the traps, and he gets all fired up over his missing piece of yellow paper. If he reads this thread we'll be in for another Alanzo rampage, and that'd be a pity because he has been so well behaved of late! :melodramatic:

On a serious note, I've copped some of that "hatred" and "disgust" too, but these days it makes me sad for them, rather than sad for me. A lot of the time it's easier to be sad for oneself than sad for another, but it can be a good thing when you convert that sadness into action that will make a difference.

Oh my God, Girl, did ya have to mention the piece of yellow paper? :coolwink: Alanzo is around the traps, and he gets all fired up over his missing piece of yellow paper. If he reads this thread we'll be in for another Alanzo rampage, and that'd be a pity because he has been so well behaved of late! :melodramatic:

Maybe we should forge one and send it to him. That might work to make him happy & shut him up about it. It's not like he would be likely to ask the Co$ whether it really is one of theirs. Or, that they would be likely to deny it either. Heck, they probably wouldn't know whether it was real or not either. :whistling:

Mark A. Baker

Mystic

Crusader
Response to OSA

There is a most excellent response to OSA. This response is a rather standard tech of a response to such as OSA. If one does an in-depth and extensive scientific investigation into this matter, one will see the overall effectiveness of this extremely prolific response full of sound and fury and signifying something or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHbStWgKw-A

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm one of the ones keeping things on the DL. . . there are several reasons, one of which is to protect my "never in" hubby who doesn't deserve to have to deal with it, another is sheer embarassment -- don't want anyone to know I was ever a Scientologist.

But here's what hit me the other day -- I was having a conversation in chat that gave info that could have traced me if anyone cared that much. . . at first I was a little nervous about it, but what hit me was this:

Right now I'm very quiet. . . but if OSA were to try to make my life miserable, I would be FORCED to speak out, to defend myself. Once that happens, I would not be quiet, because the threat of being found out would no longer be there to keep me in check (and I have a pretty big mouth). So in my case, that would backfire on them, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in that position.

With all the info on the Internet, they can't be bringing in enough new people to cover the costs of defending against Anonymous, let alone to meddle in the lives of the fast-growing number of exes.

For me personally, reading and posting here has taken off HUGE amounts of "fear charge" on the subject.

:)TL

Wisened One

Crusader
Wow all these are great posts.

You know, when I first left in 2004, I also felt scared for a few years of osa and what they may do...

When I started posting here (and on OCMB way back) I was literally expecting them to knock on our door knowing who we were, ya know? :eyeroll:

They laugh at us, I'm sure at the *fear* they think they like to cause in us, and it's really stupid, but I know it's something many of us exes go thru and have to get thru, until we no longer feel the fear or care.

It also depends on if you have many loved ones still in. In me and hubby's case, we don't have family in, we have a couple friends that we still talk to who are still in, and they did find out about us and disconnected from us, well guess we'll just have one or two less friends for a little while....

I know that what we are doing (posting our stories here) is helping on sooo many levels to those lurking and those quiet exes who have never joined or posted.

You can only justify the 'Well THAT person had too much case' crap for so long, you know.......:whistling:

You lurkers KNOW who many of us are, I bet. (That's why we decided to put our real names in our sig lines, in case anyone would recognise us and like to talk to us).

We were good people when you met us and we're still good people now, and we're here for you! :yes:

Wisened One

Crusader
I remember one time, about 2 years after I had left, I was waiting in line in McDonalds. Two guys in front of me turned, and I recognised one as a friend of mine when I had been on staff. A lovely guy who I respected and got along with really well, he had a wonderful sense of humour. I gave a shy smile, afterall, I hadnt seen him since Id left. The look of absolute, withering HATRED and DISGUST he gave me, before deliberately turning his back on me so he didnt have to look at what he thought was a revolting SP, was the worst feeling in the world. That stopped me from ever speaking out, or saying anything against the church for years.

Wow, that must've hurt, cantsay! :sadsigh: But it's good that you realize they're just on a side of a fence, looking through it at you, like that, while you're on the other side looking back at them....with love, I might add.

They'll wake up one day and contact you, I bet! :yes:

It reminds me of our routing out process. We had been blown for a month or so and after being followed then convinced to come back to route out, we rented a car and drove back down from Wichita to Fla. Our beloved fellow staff literally turned their heads away in shunning at us. It was a stab to our hearts, but we understood why they were doing it. We simply chuckled at them and tried to meet their sunken, tired gazes with a soft smile. 'Course we had had a good dose of freedom, good food, some new clothes behind our healthier, more-rested eyes.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I've never let OSA intimidate me. From the beginning, I posted under or alluded to my real name. I did get expelled over it and they implied that they would interfere with our marriage, but other than that, I think there were only one or two untoward things done by CofS- and those were minor.

Of course, the situation would not necessarily be the same for other people in CofS- everyone's situation is different.

Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Patron Meritorious
I was a bit concerned that since the Co$ had my credit card details, OSA might try something underhanded (criminal) with them. Now it turns out that my credit card was recently fraudulently "used" three times. Fortunately my bank has some sort of protection software in place and the transactions were rejected. :happydance: (This is not a special service that I subscribe to; it is just standard fraud protection apparently. :thumbsup: )

So I now have a new card; no harm done.

Of course I can't specifically point the finger at anyone; I have no evidence. However no-one has access to my mail. I shred anything with my details on. I run "Rapport" anti-key-logging software and so on. It's hard to imagine where anyone else would have had the opportunity to get at my card.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Surely any time you use the card, staff at the company concerned have access to your details, don't they? Unless you do all credit card transactions via PayPal or something, when it is only the PayPal peeps who do.

Paul

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
I have to agree with Tiger Lily - the only possible thing that concerns me these days is the embaressment if my friends knew I was a Scientologist.

However, Ive gotten over the whole thing to the point now where if OSA or anyone else from the Church ever tried to communicate to ANYONE in my life IN ANY WAY, I wouldnt hesitate to contact Today Tonight, the Sunday Times, and and all media, to tell my story and name names. Ive made that very clear.

OSA will not touch anyone who is a "media risk". Have it in writing on this forum that you will tell all if they f#ck with you, and they wont touch you with a bargepole.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
Media threat

Good post Cantsay, You are so right.

lol -- yea I've been tempted to put together some sort of "cult awareness" program for schools -- a parent/child/community education program. I think there would be value in educating people about how the mind can be manipulated. It came up on another thread and kind of grabbed my attention, and would be a great use for my background in education.

Of course, I can't do that while I'm anonymous (lower case "a"), but if I was outed or harassed I might seriously consider doing it. I would have a great personal story then too!

-TL

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I have to agree with Tiger Lily - the only possible thing that concerns me these days is the embaressment if my friends knew I was a Scientologist.

However, Ive gotten over the whole thing to the point now where if OSA or anyone else from the Church ever tried to communicate to ANYONE in my life IN ANY WAY, I wouldnt hesitate to contact Today Tonight, the Sunday Times, and and all media, to tell my story and name names. Ive made that very clear.

OSA will not touch anyone who is a "media risk". Have it in writing on this forum that you will tell all if they f#ck with you, and they wont touch you with a bargepole.

Well they certainly know who I am as I had the "handle" visit from a relative ages ago. (Which obviously had no effect!)

I haven't had any problems either, because I certainly WOULD go to the media, with bells on!

Excellent idea cantsay, to state it here as well.:D

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Good post Cantsay, You are so right.

lol -- yea I've been tempted to put together some sort of "cult awareness" program for schools -- a parent/child/community education program. I think there would be value in educating people about how the mind can be manipulated. It came up on another thread and kind of grabbed my attention, and would be a great use for my background in education.

Of course, I can't do that while I'm anonymous (lower case "a"), but if I was outed or harassed I might seriously consider doing it. I would have a great personal story then too!

-TL

I got yer back, TL.