What's new

The Tone Scale: How Valid Is It?

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
http://lronhubbard.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/tonescale-en.pdf

THE TONE SCALE list (showing 40.0 to -40.0) is on pages 10 and 11

IIRC, Hubbard claimed there are 2 tone levels: thetan, thetan+body.
Correct me if I am wrong. (HCOBs?)
My general rule of thumb is, If you can't find any one of their claims verified in real scientific or academic circles, then it isn't true no matter how blue in the face they are about demanding that people believe their lying "research".

Gib

Crusader
Do I need to discontinue my short hand if I wish to be understood?

I have decided to leave this group. I was foolish to think I had enough in common w/y'all to converse. It's possible there r some thinkers here, but the noise to signal ratio in this space is too high for me. Bet there's 1 or 2 (or more) of u w/whom good conversation could eventually come about. Bye. Clear skies to ya, mateys.
first of all this ain't a group, well maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I've never met anybody here IRL, we are all, once were scientologists, and came to realize it's bullocks.

Maybe you should get the signal and ignore Hubbards noise?

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
So you admit that auditing works? We'd better start black-balling you, along with Terril and Birdie.
I've noticed that you do have an uncanny knack of calling out those elephants in the room that others are reluctant to mention Wilbur.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
I've noticed that you do have an uncanny knack of calling out those elephants in the room that others are reluctant to mention Wilbur.
Hahaha yeah. I seem to be more interested in truth than in people's feelings, so I suppose I do have a tendency to put my foot in it sometimes.

strativarius

Hahaha yeah. I seem to be more interested in truth than in people's feelings, so I suppose I do have a tendency to put my foot in it sometimes.
Putting your foot in it isn't how I'd describe it, although an appropriate metaphor for saying what others are unwilling to say themselves escapes me at present.

Last edited:

strativarius

When I was auditing people on Dianetics I thought it was real, but it might just have been Confirmation Bias.
When I was auditing I thought the 'gains' my pc's were making were real too, but when you come to factor in the circumstances things are a little less clear-cut. Your pc wants to be seen to be making progress, otherwise he/she might be looked upon as a no-case-gainer (in other words an sp or a pts) and they don't want that, so they go to the examiner with an f/n and vgi's, and you're thinking to yourself 'this shit really works'. It's a self perpetuating circle-jerk - just the way Hubbard designed it.

Last edited:

TomKat

Patron Meritorious
When I was auditing I thought the 'gains' my pc's were making were real too, but when you come to factor in the circumstances things are a little less clear-cut. Your pc wants to be seen to be making progress, otherwise he/she might be looked upon as a no-case-gainer (in other words an sp or a pts) and they don't want that, so they go to the examiner with an f/n and vgi's, and you're thinking to yourself 'this shit really works'. It's a self perpetuating circle-jerk - just the way Hubbard designed it.
John McMaster said Hubbard would get a PC into a bog, then get him out (or leave it to someone else to get him out), and the PC would be so grateful he wouldn't remember who got them into a bog in the first place. Brings to mind the book Of Mice and Men, where the same thing happened to the retarded guy, Lenny.

guanoloco

As-Wased
I had some very real case change for the better with auditing. It wasnt ephemeral and didn't abate.

I also did a ton of stuff that was a waste of time.

Iona

Patron
I had some very real case change for the better with auditing. It wasnt ephemeral and didn't abate.

I also did a ton of stuff that was a waste of time.
I had a blast doing Captain Bill's levels. It was amazing, fun, eye-opening, profound.

Do I think in Scientology terms now? No, but I'm glad I did, for a while.

I'm much the better for doing it, and have no regrets whatsoever.

But there's no place in my life for Scientology anymore.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
If Captain Bill knew so much about life then how come he died of cancer at an early age? Same kind of question could apply to other gurus such as LRH and Alan Walter. Any fans of these people have any sensible answers?

Iona

Patron
If Captain Bill knew so much about life then how come he died of cancer at an early age? Same kind of question could apply to other gurus such as LRH and Alan Walter. Any fans of these people have any sensible answers?
I think they have the same risks of disease as any other person.

I don't believe that Scientology can prevent or cure any illness.

There's absolutely no evidence that it can.

phenomanon

Canyon
I think they have the same risks of disease as any other person.

I don't believe that Scientology can prevent or cure any illness.

There's absolutely no evidence that it can.
I don't believe that Dianetics can cure any illness, but I think it can make you happier about having it.
I believe that auditing other people can give you insight into the workings of people's minds.
I also believe the Scientology process or drill that allows a person to realize that they are not their body is priceless.
I believe that Scientology works as long as you are in the bubble. But when the bathtub breaks, out will come baby, bubbles and all.
I did everything on their Bridge, but I didn't get much auditing myself. I liked training, until I finally saw that Scientology makes you Crazy!
It only cost me 33 years.
and my daughter.
Usually when I say things like "those LX lists were good lists" , well. shit! Shirley! What the fook difference does it make ? They are no longer delivered You can't get 'em anymore.Some processes from Creation of Human Ability were so fine, I loved them. WTF difference does it make if I like some of the processes? It doesn't change the fact that the Organization s driven insane by the insane policies, the Publics are driven insane by pressure for money, and insane "seniors" drive insanity on down the line

JustSheila

Crusader
I had a blast doing Captain Bill's levels. It was amazing, fun, eye-opening, profound.

Do I think in Scientology terms now? No, but I'm glad I did, for a while.

I'm much the better for doing it, and have no regrets whatsoever.

But there's no place in my life for Scientology anymore.
Just so you know, Captain Bill was stark raving mad. A lunatic.

While he was in the Sea Org, he was abusive, terrorizing staff. Then he got extra weird when he married some young woman who was more than a bit dizzy, herself. As the stories go, any little thing she wanted, he would do for her, and that included RPFing anyone that offended her for any reason. Captain Bill was a terror and she loved giving him excuses to abuse others. Other exSO veteran survivors here have specifics. When Captain Bill was declared SP, there was cheering in the SO - people were relieved to see him go. He was a jerk.

In all honesty, I can't see how anyone could be better for doing anything related to Scientology, whether it's Captain Bill's uber sci-fi version or any other, it's all an exercise in the imagination claiming what you imagine is real and a vicious mindf&*k sugarcoated to be good for you. If it were touted as imagination exercises, maybe some of it could be useful to creative writers or similar, but since it makes false claims instead, it undermines a person's sense of reality and that is a very bad thing.

Some of the people who were followers of Capt Bill that I met afterward spent many years adjusting to real life afterward. Some never did. :sad:

At least you didn't have the cult atmosphere around it. Most people apparently did the spaceman's trip in imagination online.

Iona

Patron
Just so you know, Captain Bill was stark raving mad. A lunatic.

While he was in the Sea Org, he was abusive, terrorizing staff. Then he got extra weird when he married some young woman who was more than a bit dizzy, herself. As the stories go, any little thing she wanted, he would do for her, and that included RPFing anyone that offended her for any reason. Captain Bill was a terror and she loved giving him excuses to abuse others. Other exSO veteran survivors here have specifics. When Captain Bill was declared SP, there was cheering in the SO - people were relieved to see him go. He was a jerk.

In all honesty, I can't see how anyone could be better for doing anything related to Scientology, whether it's Captain Bill's uber sci-fi version or any other, it's all an exercise in the imagination claiming what you imagine is real and a vicious mindf&*k sugarcoated to be good for you. If it were touted as imagination exercises, maybe some of it could be useful to creative writers or similar, but since it makes false claims instead, it undermines a person's sense of reality and that is a very bad thing.

Some of the people who were followers of Capt Bill that I met afterward spent many years adjusting to real life afterward. Some never did. :sad:

At least you didn't have the cult atmosphere around it. Most people apparently did the spaceman's trip in imagination online.
That doesn't resemble the Captain Bill that I knew.

Did you ever meet him yourself?