What's new

The Top 25 People Crippling Scientology

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I'm assuming the top 3 will have to be TC, DM, and the old fart hisself.

I'm content that there is pile of people working tirelessly to bring down the cult.

Lots have people have contributed greatly to this... I bow to them all !

Yes, even the idiots like Tommy Davis who seem to love foot bullets.

KissMyStats

Patron with Honors
I think the top two are going to be DM and LRH.

Or maybe Tony will put his name at the top of the list, which would be well deserved as well !

TG1

Angelic Poster
I would love to see Emma on this list.

Obviously Anonymous will be high in the rankings.

DM, LRH and TC will be in there, as others have already suggested.

Marty and Mike will be included, as will Amy Scobee, Jeff Hawkins and others who spoke out in the SP Times (unless some of those were already mentioned?).

Paulette Cooper will surely be remembered, as will Lisa McPherson and others known to have died violently or early as a result of their Scientology connections.

It seems Bob Minton deserves some mention as well.

There's no more room, but for giggles I'd love to see the Inchwives, Squirrel Busters and many idiot faux-celebs

So many names, so little space.

Go, Tony!

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I would love to see Emma on this list.

Emma is now on the #14 slot! :happydance:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/tory_christman_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Personally I feel she deserves a Top Ten slot. I may have to come to NY and protest the Village Voice for that. :biggrin:

Obviously Anonymous will be high in the rankings.

DM, LRH and TC will be in there, as others have already suggested.

Marty and Mike will be included, as will Amy Scobee, Jeff Hawkins and others who spoke out in the SP Times (unless some of those were already mentioned?).

Amy was in the #18 slot:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/amy_scobee_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Jeff in the #17 slot:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runni...rson_hawkins_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Paulette Cooper will surely be remembered, as will Lisa McPherson and others known to have died violently or early as a result of their Scientology connections.

Paulette Cooper is in the #13 slot:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/janet_reitman_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

It seems Bob Minton deserves some mention as well.

Bob Minton is in the #15 slot
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runni..._heldal-lund_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

There's no more room, but for giggles I'd love to see the Inchwives, Squirrel Busters and many idiot faux-celebs

Squirrel Busters made the #19 slot
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/squirrel_busters_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

So many names, so little space.

Go, Tony!

There's been a number of additions added into the slots released so far. It's a work in progress. And there will also be the ability for anyone to vote for their own Top 25 as well.

David Love, on the board here as "Intelligence" is now in the #14 slot! :clap:

Technically speaking, Montreal-resident David Edgar Love is not an ex-Scientologist. But he is an ex-Narconon "patient" and later staff member whose experience illustrates why the line between Scientology and Narconon is not only blurry, but practically non-existent. Love's disillusionment with Narconon grew gradually, first after realizing that most of what Narconon espoused -- such as its claimed relapse rates -- were simply false, and later when he was hired to form a charitable organization in a name other than Narconon which would serve as a Narconon recruiting entity. Once he'd had enough, though, Love became Narconon's -- and therefore Scientology's -- worst nightmare. On July 27, 2011, at Love's prodding, the Quebec College of Physicians formally found that an unnamed doctor working for Narconon was in breach of ethical obligations for "administering treatment not scientifically recognized in current medical literature." Canadian medical professionals are now on notice that providing authoritative cover to pseudoscientific cults can land them in hot water, which spells bad news for Narconon due to Love's efforts (with no small amount of help from Anonymous).
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/tory_christman_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Anyone interested can submit their OWN Top 25 List to the Village Voice:

At noon on Monday, September 19, just a few hours after we reveal #6 in our countdown, we will open voting so that you can submit your own lists of 25 people contributing the most to Scientology's nosedive. For one week, until noon on September 26, just after we reveal #3 on our list, you'll have the chance to tell us your own picks.

On Wednesday, September 28, we'll reveal our #2 pick at 9 am, our #1 pick at 11 am, and then the results of your vote at 1 pm.

(This is all contingent, of course, on the bourbon holding out here in the underground bunker. And the e-meter not losing power. And other stuff.)

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is a wonderful list, thanks to the OP for posting! I'm really enjoying reading about this stuff, you couldn't make it up.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Nanette Asimov - addition to #13 slot

There's been an addition to the #13 slot, one I'd been previously unfamiliar with:

NanetteAsimov.jpg

Nanette Asimov, daughter of famed sci-fi writer Isaac Asimov, wrote about Scientology for only about a year, starting in June 2004, but her impact was immediately felt, and ultimately crushed Scientology's attempts to impose a Narconon program on California school children. Only one day after her initial lengthy article showed that school children were being instructed in medically inaccurate, pseudoscientific instruction functionally identical to Scientology teachings, the San Francisco school district sent a letter to Narconon asking them to fix the inaccuracies identified in Asimov's article. A week later, a state-wide probe was ordered by California's Department of Education. When Scientology, er... Narconon was unable or unwilling to "alter the tech," and after numerous medical experts had savaged Narconon's scientific accuracy in a state-funded report, State Superintendent Jack O'Connell urged all California Schools to drop Narconon from its curriculums. All of Asimov's artilces on Narconon are linked here on a page hosted by David Touretzky.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/janet_reitman_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
LIsaMcPherson.jpg

​Lisa McPherson has been dead almost 16 years now, and yet, in Janet Reitman's terrific new history of the church, Inside Scientology, four central chapters are focused on McPherson's life and death.
I asked Reitman in an interview why one woman's death in 1995 is still such a big part of the Scientology story.

"Because nothing changes in Scientology," she answered. "The fundamental problem is that this is a fundamentalist religion. [David] Miscavige is a fundamentalist leader... Their mindset is that anything L. Ron Hubbard said or wrote is 'Source,' it's doctrine. This is literal. And as long as they have this literal interpretation of everything, [something like the McPherson incident] could happen again."

What did happen is that a young woman who wanted help with a bad marriage in 1982 turned to a group that she soon dedicated her life to. From Reitman's book:

Lisa McPherson fit right in. "She was a ball of fun," said Greg Barnes, who was Lisa's registrar in Dallas. "She was funny, she was exuberant, she was excited, she was humble -- she was a great person." But Lisa was also unaware of what Scientology would require of her, he said. "Was she naive? No. But did she know what she was getting herself into? No way. None of us did."

Read Full Article Here:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/lisa_mcpherson_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Telling that Marcotai and its cohorts haven't turned up to troll on this award - yet.

RIP Lisa

:rose:

... We do not forget

Expect us, you evil, cancerous little gnome and your beaten-down minions.:angry:

pollywog

Patron with Honors
Telling that Marcotai and its cohorts haven't turned up to troll on this award - yet.

RIP Lisa

:rose:

... We do not forget

Expect us, you evil, cancerous little gnome and your beaten-down minions.:angry:

I agree - though how FUN would it be to enturbulate Marcotai with the reality of this story.

Every time I read something new about Lisa I think "there but for the grace...". It could have been anyone who was killed so mercilessly at the lowest point in [our] life. Wrong is wrong and dead is dead and someone should be in jail.

ClamSource

Patron with Honors
Janet Reitmann said:
"Their mindset is that anything L. Ron Hubbard said or wrote is 'Source,' it's doctrine. This is literal. And as long as they have this literal interpretation of everything, [something like the McPherson incident] could happen again."

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Nice pictures of Lisa.

Now who is going to post the picture of her taken in the morgue?

It is a heartbreaking photo of her face just after death.