What's new

The Top 25 People Crippling Scientology

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Nice pictures of Lisa.

Now who is going to post the picture of her taken in the morgue?

It is a heartbreaking photo of her face just after death.

I vote, please don't.

We are not so good looking' when the body be crushed.

RIP Lisa, and all the dead ones.

Interesting though, that in her untimely death, she remains a beacon of light guiding the unsuspecting away from her tormentors.

:yes:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
#8 Mike Rinder

#8 Mike Rinder

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/mike_rinder_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Here's an excerpt from the article - but the whole article is very much worth reading!

Tony Ortega

I asked Bryan Seymour what it has meant to have Rinder speak out about Scientology in Australia:

"Apart from giving me his first broadcast interview about his time at the top of Scientology, Mike Rinder has helped with insight and contacts to unravel a host of anomolies and abuses. In Australia, Rinder has assisted in the understanding of Scientology's complex financial structures. He has also been a wellspring of detail on internal politics and policies. Other issues he has lent his experience to will emerge in the near future. Australians might have continued thinking Scientology was a largely harmless, weird religion but for the efforts to expose the truth of former members. Chief among them -- Mike Rinder."

Note: For anyone reading this and not knowing who Bryan Seymour is - he is in the #13 slot of this Top 25 List. Info can be found here:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/janet_reitman_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Heh! Well, I suppose Rinder's actions in running OSA have certainly helped cripple Scientology as the number of his victims reached critical mass.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Rathbun rates higher than the academics like Touretzky? Garbage.

Well he DID help in a couple different ways to cripple CoS. First he worked hard for many years at creating the monster and now he's helping to knock it upside the head. And I'm sure both of the roles he played have and are helping to cripple the CoS.

And while in the past he may have contributed to the crippling of CoS AND Scientology now he of course is on a mission to save Scientology.

I would agree with you Clammy that he's rated too high as compared to the academics like Touretzky. But the reality of it is it doesn't mean so much imo where someone falls on the list. It takes a lot of SP's working hard to bring down a billion dollar cult and everyone on the list made needed contributions. If it was JUST Anonymous who resisted the cult with no help from others they would not succeed. And one can say that about all of the other categories, the Ex'es, attorneys, academics, public officials, the journalists, etc., etc.., and all the rest. All of us have a role to play and they're all important. And we'll all continue to be important AFTER the CoS falls as well. Some individuals will (and already are) attempting to spin things in such a way to make all think that the problem is with the CoS or that the problem is with Miscavige. IMO it's important for the true source of the problems to become widely known by all. Otherwise history is just going to repeat itself somewhere down the road. A new "reformed" CoS will reemerge and our children and grandchildren will deal with the monster as well after it runs rampage through another generation.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Well he DID help in a couple different ways to cripple CoS. First he worked hard for many years at creating the monster and now he's helping to knock it upside the head. And I'm sure both of the roles he played have and are helping to cripple the CoS.

And while in the past he may have contributed to the crippling of CoS AND Scientology now he of course is on a mission to save Scientology.

I would agree with you Clammy that he's rated too high as compared to the academics like Touretzky. But the reality of it is it doesn't mean so much imo where someone falls on the list. It takes a lot of SP's working hard to bring down a billion dollar cult and everyone on the list made needed contributions. If it was JUST Anonymous who resisted the cult with no help from others they would not succeed. And one can say that about all of the other categories, the Ex'es, attorneys, academics, public officials, the journalists, etc., etc.., and all the rest. All of us have a role to play and they're all important. And we'll all continue to be important AFTER the CoS falls as well. Some individuals will (and already are) attempting to spin things in such a way to make all think that the problem is with the CoS or that the problem is with Miscavige. IMO it's important for the true source of the problems to become widely known by all. Otherwise history is just going to repeat itself somewhere down the road. A new "reformed" CoS will reemerge and our children and grandchildren will deal with the monster as well after it runs rampage through another generation.

It does need to rest where it belongs....on Hubbards doorstep.

Yeah, Marty was ( and is ) bad, Mike was ( and is ) bad news, little davie boy is the worse of that trio, but, all those mindless idiots followed hubbard and his "dreck" to inflict the damage they have.

I'd stop just short of book burning............maybe......:lol:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
#7 Mark Bunker

#7 Mark Bunker

From Village Voice:

"Mark Bunker is currently working on Knowledge Report, a documentary about Scientology that we've been previewing here at Runnin' Scared for months. You probably also know that Bunker was famously dubbed "Wise Beard Man" by Anonymous when he counseled in January 2008 that the upstart movement adopt a more Gandhi-like approach to its fight against Scientology.
But do you know how Bunker first fell into his interest in Scientology on his way to becoming the dean of old time critics? No you don't -- and that's because Bunker said he was telling the full story to the Voice for the first time anywhere."

See Full Story:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/mark_bunker_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
#6 Anonymous

#6 Anonymous

For years, the Internet had been a huge problem for Scientology -- and now, the Internet suddenly grew legs, wore masks, and held protest signs. With so many new critics to worry about, some of the heat was taken off the old guard of Scientology watchers, some of whom had suffered through terrible cases of retaliation and harassment. Today, it's plain that Scientology's spy wing, the Office of Special Affairs, is stretched thin, making it an even safer environment for disaffected church members to leave and announce their freedom.

As usual, the full story by Tony Ortega is very much worth reading and is posted here:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/anonymous_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
#5: Joe Childs and Tom Tobin

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runni...ds_tom_tobin_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

I don't know Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin. I have never spoken with them. I sent them each an e-mail a while ago. I heard nothing back. What little I know about each of these members of the St. Petersburg Times staff is what I've read in their stories, and by talking with Mike Rinder and other sources who have spoken with them.

I do know enough about them to be pretty certain that they will not be happy at all to be included in this list.

Childs and Tobin are the Mantle and Mays of Scientology reporting. They have produced devastating exposes of the church, one after the other, for many years. Another epic series, I hear, may be imminent.

It will no doubt land with the force of an H-bomb on the world of Scientology watching.

​We're still reeling over the last major blast from the duo. Their 2009 series, "The Truth Rundown" changed entirely the way Scientology was talked about in the media. Suddenly, a secretive church with celebrities became a toxic, ailing organization with a strange little man in charge who, his former employees said, regularly beat on his subordinates in frequent rages.

For that series, Tobin and Childs convinced several high-ranking Scientologists who had defected in recent years to speak out for the first time. These were not low-level grunts in a church that places huge emphasis on rank and power; these were men like Marty Rathbun, formerly the second-highest ranking executive in Scientology, and Mike Rinder, the man who ran the Office of Special Affairs -- the church's spy wing.

Only two years later, with Rathbun speaking out at his blog, with Janet Reitman's book on Scientology rightly getting a lot of attention, and with many other ex-Scientologists coming forward, it may be a little hard to remember how much impact that 2009 series had.

Thankfully, I'm on record for saying, at the time, that the series deserved a Pulitzer. (An overused refrain from some, perhaps, but I've never said that publicly about any other piece of journalism.)

With my own toe in the pool of Scientology reporting, I know how much research goes into Tobin and Childs articles, how thorough they are, how often they form the bedrock of research that so much other writing on Scientology is built up from.

So if that's the case, if they're so good that they deserve to be number 5 on this list, why do I say that they would rather not be recognized here?

Unlike your narrator, who likes to joke around and have some fun, Tobin and Childs do their jobs with deadly seriousness. Scientology would love to say that they are part of some secret-handshake journalism buddy system team-tagging the church. In fact, they are scrupulously fair, bending over backwards to provide balance, to push for Scientology's side of things, and to avoid any appearance that they have an interest in the fortunes of the church, one way or the other.

The last thing they need is some joker patting them on the back for "crippling" Scientology.

Sorry, fellows, but there's no mistaking it: reporter Tom Tobin and editor Joe Childs have paired up to uncover gem after gem about Scientology, providing the basic content that so many arguments and protests and investigations are built upon. They have made the St. Petersburg Times the paper of record on Scientology. And for that, they rank very high on this list.

But what is it like to be interviewed by them? I asked that of Rinder, who only reluctantly agreed to help them out (at first, anyway) with "The Truth Rundown."

"If there's anyone I know who is well versed in the subject of Scientology, it's those guys. Because they've been doing it for so long, and they've talked to so many people. So they have a very good ability to sort the wheat from the chaff. And there is a lot of chaff when it comes to Scientology," Rinder told me.

"Joe has a little more of a hard edge to him than Tom does. He's just a bit more the cynical newspaper editor, and Tom is just a nice guy -- I don't know how else to describe Tom Tobin. He is so inoffensive, it kind of blows me away the way Tommy Davis treated them, yelling at them. They're the last people anyone would want to yell at. Joe and Tom are not provocative. They are inquisitive, but not provocative."

Rinder paid them another compliment, of sorts: "The usual handling for reporters is taking them on tours of the facilities and showing them videos. But the church doesn't even bother with that with Tom and Joe," he says. Tobin and Childs already know all the facilities too well. "They've given up giving those guys tours.

"They have the luxury that virtually nobody else has, which is working for the SP Times. So they can spend an inordinate amount of time putting together stories. Nobody else really has that," he noted.

After dealing with them as the spokesman for the church, Rinder remembers meeting them for the first time after he'd left Scientology.

"They came to Denver. I went and picked them up at the airport. It was like picking up an old buddy you haven't seen for a long time. It was very friendly right from the outset. At that time, I was not willing to be on the record with them. They knew that, and they weren't very happy about it. Joe must have asked about 30 times. 'Sure you don't want to be quoted about this?' But it was somewhat cathartic, for both sides, and a bit like the Caberta visit for Marty and Ursula," he said, referring to Marty Rathbun's recent trip to Germany.

If Tobin and Childs have worked on major series for the paper, other Scientology stories have appeared in recent years at the St. Pete Times under the bylines of writers like Jonathan Abel, Barbara Behrendt, Mike Brassfield, Mike Donilla, Robert Farley, and Rita Farlow. This is a newspaper on a mission -- to watch closely the odd religious movement that took over a town in its coverage area.

When that happened, in the mid-1970s, the Times had a reporter named Bette Orsini who watched that story like a hawk. For her efforts, she won a Pulitzer in 1980. She also was the target of harassment. Here's what the Times obit of Orsini said about that when she died this March at the age of 85:

With Mrs. Orsini as the prime source of stories about Scientology's financial and social structure, the church tried repeatedly to get her fired. Around the same time, an anonymous letter accused her husband, Andrew, of tax malfeasance in his role as head of the Pinellas County Easter Seals Foundation. The late payment, the result of a wrong billing address, was soon paid.

A group calling itself the Guardians of Scientology called their plan to "restrain Orsini" Operation Bunny Bust.

"When she got on the story, she could not be shaken off of it by pressure or complaint or difficulty," said Eugene Patterson, former editor of the Times. "She stayed with it. Of course, Scientology tested her to the max."

Her family felt the strain.

"It was definitely a difficult set of circumstances," said Candi Orsini, her daughter. "The closeness of the family and the strength of the family got us through those times."

I asked Mark Bunker for his own memories of St. Pete Times coverage when he lived in Florida during another crucial period of Scientology coverage -- the Lisa McPherson debacle.

When I lived in Clearwater back in 2000 and 2001, the St. Pete Times would frequently write stories about Scientology and the Lisa McPherson Trust. Deborah O'Neil or Tom Tobin were most likely to be the reporters on the beat. Both seemed incredibly nice and both were always very fair in their reporting. I had read their stories before moving to town. It was through their reports that I almost felt like a resident before I even moved to Clearwater.

One of the byproducts of us opening up shop right next to Scientology's Office of Special Affairs is that we created a lot of Scientology related news. When Bob Minton and Stacy Brooks met with city manager Mike Roberto about what we were trying to accomplish in Clearwater, he told them point blank that he had tried very hard to keep Scientology off the front page of the St. Pete Times and with our arrival they were right back there in big, bold headlines. He wasn't at all happy about that. It's not like we were trying to generate stories but Scientology's attacks on us just made for interesting reading. There was the time Jeff Jacobsen and I were banned from a Scientologist-owned restaurant.

Or when a group composed largely of Scientologists who were redesigning a small alley next to a Scientology building refused to sell Jeff a brick in memory of Lisa McPherson.

Or when Scientology set up Jesse Prince on marijuana charges.

It was after Jesse's trial that the St. Pete Times published one of their most memorable editorials on Scientology, saying it was "not like any church we know."

What was most frustrating about the St. Pete Times is that they knew the lengths to which Scientology would go but even after publishing damning editorials about them, they would then publish what many would consider puff pieces about the group. They knew how Scientology behaved. They knew what they were capable of. Why not expose the abuses going on just a couple blocks away from the newspaper's offices? With the string of amazing articles in recent years by Tobin and Childs, they're once again doing just that and they're jaw-droppingly good at it.

OK, Joe and Tom, we're braced for the next bombshell. Let's have it!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Re: #6 Anonymous

#6 Anonymous

As usual, the full story by Tony Ortega is very much worth reading and is posted here:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/anonymous_top_25_crippling_scientology.php

Some of the comments on Anonymous:

Jefferson Hawkins
The entry of Anonymous into the equation was a game-changer, possibly THE game-changer. If Scientology was completely clueless as to how to deal with the internet, they were paralyzed by an internet activist movement. All of their rules and tactics, cooked up by Hubbard in the Cold War era, went out the window. How do you launch an ad hominem attack when that "hominem" is faceless and everywhere?

As a former Sea Org Member and neophyte critic (I had just started telling my own Counterfeit Dreams story online), I was amazed at the Anonymous movement in 2008. I was amazed that they were able to muster 10,000 protesters in a weekend when it took Scientology weeks and weeks of phone calls, promotion and threats to get 6,000 of their faithful to an LA Event. The Church had truly awakened a sleeping giant, simply by doing what they have always done, trying to quash and control information about themselves.

To say that Anonymous revitalized the critic movement would be an understatement. It was like the cavalry arriving. All of a sudden it was safe to speak out and reveal the truth. One did not feel exposed and alone.

Yes, the Church tried to tar the Anonymous movement, calling them "terrorists" and so on, but they never got much traction with that except, perhaps, among their own gullible members, who believe what they are told to believe. Interestingly, the Church's main attack line on me is that I am allied with Anonymous, a "terrorist" organization, and therefore I am a terrorist. All because I attended a couple of their protests, was photographed by OSA - ever since then they have tried to smear me by saying I "pal around with terrorists."

The Anonymous people I have dealt with have been earnest, committed, hardworking people, who also have a lot of fun with their pranks, costumes, dancing and caek. At the protests, they came down on any of their own members who tried to violate the law, even something as minor as jaywalking. Sure, some have gone too far. I never agreed with ddos attacks, black faxes, or harassment in any form. But what do you expect when you have a broad, all-inclusive and leaderless group? What is amazing is not the occasional misguided prank, it's how effective, professional and law-abiding 99% of Anonymous has been.

And I was very impressed with the press conference in LA organized by XenuBarb and Glibby, two very committed and professional women. Anonymous members have worked tirelessly, often behind the scenes, to bring the abuse, fraud and criminality of the Church to light with police, legislators, officials, and the press.

The Church tries to smear me because I have stood with Anonymous. Well, bring it - I have stood with them proudly.

Larry Brennan
I made a long post about Anonymous a few hours ago, came back and it is gone??
Here is a shortened version.
I remember the few years before Anonymous came onto the scene with Project Chanology in early 2008. It was very frustrating trying to get much done to expose organized scientology for its abuses or do anything substantial about it back then.
Most attorneys were afraid to touch organized scientology cases then with Barry Van Sickle being a notable exception. Most press that I knew of (I did not know you then Tony) were afraid to write about them for fear of litigation or worse. Jonny Jacobson and Janet Reitman were exceptions and Jonny tried to get what I told him about Miscavige beating others covered by the press. All his contacts were too afraid to do so and Jonny could get no one to go on the record to back up what I was telling him that Miscavige was indeed beating staff.

Most ex scientologists I was in touch with back then were wonderful people who wanted to do something about the abuses but were afraid to do so, including the fear of losing their friends and family to scientology's fair game.

Then Anonymous came on the scene in January 2008 and then really big time in February 2008. And because of Anonymous people felt strength in numbers and able to do something about the lies and abuses they experienced at the hands of organized scientology. Many EXes found their voices through Anonymous. And for everything you saw from Anonymous in public to deal with scientology, there were many more things happening behind the scenes as more and more found that they could do something about the abuses and get their lives back.

Suddenly Anonymous folks and EXes were working together to help get out the truth and/or otherwise deal with scientology's abuses.

The tide had turned and that never would have happened without Anonymous. I found myself very proud when organized scientology put out a Freedom Magazine article in 2008 criticizing me and showing me with my arms around two Anons (a picture that I myself put on the internet).

And as for the playfulness of Anonymous in exposing scientology for what it is, from the very beginning things such those in the above videos made my heart soar. And I felt young again, inspired and somehow knew that this was just what was needed to open the floodgates to truth and, ultimately, a reckoning.

So many EXes came out and protested, spoke or helped in some other way because of Anonymous and, at times, their great videos like "we run this" etc. that made people laugh and not be afraid of organized scientology for awhile anyway.
I remember in the beginning in Boston falling in love with the young anons. I'd just smile seeing the likes of Blue Wig Girl strolling by in song, Fail Sign Girl fearlessly chasing around scientology OSA and PIs with her sign saying "fail" arrowed right at them, Optimus Prime telling passersby that scientologists were Deceptacons, etc. etc.
Then there was the group dancing and singing of things like the cake song, the pirate song, Rick A's song, all while exposing organized scientology and its abuses.
Gawd but I loved this. IMO so many of them have no idea how much they helped and still help to this day.

Anonymous is clearly number one on my list of what made the difference in exposing organized scientology.
w/<3 and great thanks to Anonymous!

PodPeople
Yes, I have to speak on this one. I'm one of the thousands that left decades ago. I'm an ex member, also ex Sea Org, and an all around cranky . Miscavige had another brilliant idea to stir Our beehive because (I imagine) fooled once, we could be fooled twice. After I calmed down, I jumped on the internet and immediately found Anonymous.

I was floored. You know, early on Scientology got it's energy, whether sucked up monies or labor and skills, from young, creative and whacky adventurers. It is fitting that it is melting down, like the Wizard of Oz witch, from the energy of young, creative and whacky adventurers.

Your videos, Tony, tell the tale of why Anonymous should be in that #1 spot. I had all the resources I needed at my keyboard fingertips thanks to Anons. And when I just couldn't take the sobbing I found myself in, or my blood pressure rising against doctor's orders, I could switch to videos like those above and laugh my ass off.

The protests that have continued have impressed me beyond my belief and the creativity and imagination displayed, the time, resources, effort, the mad, mad skills, just blew me away and still do to this day.

They made a safe haven for ex's to speak out, yes, but for those still in, they did something no one has been able to accomplish. They stood outside the monster's caves and sang and danced, not for themselves, but for total strangers, to help end the abuses once and for all. Now you just never know who's behind those masks, which of course are necessary. Scientology is Psychopathic and Paranoid on steroids, with a stock portfolio.

Everything changed when Anons arrived, everything. Media coverage began. Books got written and sold. YouTube got busy. Ex's, critics and others jumped in, finally, and began to help however they could, It was like the piecing together of a quilt, only one that stretched around the entire world. After the day ends, and you hear one more sorrowful story of scientology's latest evil doings, you don't feel alone anymore, and now you have a warm and cozy cover.

I am just one of thousands eternally grateful for Anonymous. Thank you. Just don't tell them I said warm and cozy. Pod

David J Mudkips
6th?

Sorry, Tony, but you've goofed the floof on this one.

What Anonymous did wasn't just the direct and indirect action. It changed the entire game.

When the cult tried, and failed, to stop Anonymous, people realised that it wasn't the massive, unbeatable entity it likes to portray itself as. Anonymous didn't just look behind the curtain, we tore the curtain away, and gave other people the strength to proceed.

Time after time, recent ex-members have come to us, saying how we inspired them to start their road out. Time and again, veteran exes and OGs mention how their own activisties could flourish, under the aegis of the Hive Mind

I guarantee you that if not for Anonymous clearing the way, Marty would have stayed in hiding, scared of cult retribution. And yet he gets a higher placing than us? I think not.

Jonathan van der Berg
Anons took care of me when I needed it the most. They gave me the courage to speak out. To reconnect with my mum who sebsequently blew the cult. I owe Anonymous big time. They strike fear into the very nerve center of the cos. I agree with comments below (or above). Anonymous changed the entire game.

I'd been out of Scientology for close to 30 years when Anonymous got involved, but had never felt safe enough to take any action. Anonymous got me off my butt, and did the same for hundreds of other exes, as well as thoroughly reinvigorating the OG. Anonymous was the snowball that caused the avalanche, and will always be #1 on my list of those who *intentionally* crippled Scientology.

Anonymous exploits a vulnerability in the human mind which can not grasp a group of individuals with no leader, no identity, and no plan. Just a purpose: to dismantle the Church of Scientology in its present form, and to eradicate all forms of totalitarian control from Earth.

When the video "Message to Scientology" hit the Internet, it scared the shit out of me. And I was fighting Scientology, too!

I can not express the gratitude I have for each individual who has contributed to Anonymous. It has brought me to tears many times to think that I share a planet with individuals who will risk their own safety to commit selfless acts of justice, and to create a world without things like the Church of Scientology in it.

You may be anonymous, but I know exactly who you are.

Thank you.

Alanzo

JustCallMeMary
I cannot believe you might have Mark Rathbun higher on the list than Anonymous. Please tell me this is not so.

Those videos were terrific but there are so many other uber fun ones to see. Should have asked earlier to give more time for searching. Here are some youtube suggestions

Anonymous Protests Scientology - 10th February 2008 - London

Anonymous 8/16/08 Worldwide Recap Video
NYC Anonymous: A Look Back on the Year 2008 by AnonNation

5/29/08: NYC Anonymous Flash Raid With Special Guest ( Jason Beghe)

NYC Anonymous videos by xfool4now

I love Anonymous and Project Chanology. They have made it possible for so many to speak up and not be afraid of this cult. They have exposed the underbelly of scientology to the world and continue to do so on a monthly basis internationally. They also made it fun.

Marty Rathbun would do well to get his few hundred followers to get off their butts and out to protest local churches of Scientology so they can have a real impact on helping get people out of the church.

Old OT7 nway
Absolutely, Duck! I remember the very first protest in January of 2008. I wondered how long it would last. I remember hearing the cult say they would "handle" Anonymous. Oppsie! Not quite what the cult thought would happen. Anonymous got the media to start taking a much closer look at the cult, which then led to all kinds of embarrassing moments for the clams. And let's keep in mind that those still in are victims even if they don't feel that way...right now. Time is NOT on their side.

Anonymous, you guys and gals just rock! You're like freedom fighters! And here we are over 3 1/2 years later still going strong.

I know I keep saying it, but, again, thanks Tony!

Patricia Curtis
Ok, Tony, I tried to resist calling you to task for this story, but my resistance was much too futile. I was good up until the point where you blamed an Anon for you not remembering to include the "Message to Scientology" video. Sorry, sir, but that was your own journalistic misstep. And I say this with love. You also missed some other extremely important details in this story, such as WhyWeProtest(dot)net. How can you talk about Anonymous and not mention WWP? It's the heartbeat of the movement. Also, it may have interested your readers to learn of some of the obstacles Anons have encountered, such as sprinkler tech, camera tech, bullbait tech, fish guts tech, etc. And about the PI's and the handlers. And about how some Anons have been physically attacked. And about the elaborate protest themes such as pirates and Spy vs. Sci. And the global ops, like Operation Sunshine Week, Operation Disconnection, and Operation Over the Wall (bombarding the inmates at Gold Base with personalized post cards). And about the massively successful Anonymous organized press conferences. And how about some credit for the enormous amount of time, energy, and financial expense these Anons have taken upon themselves to help people they don't even know? Tony, I love what you are doing with this Top 25 list and you know I am a fan of your work professionally, but I think Anonymous got slighted here.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
From Tony Ortega (Village Voice):

Childs and Tobin are the Mantle and Mays of Scientology reporting. They have produced devastating exposes of the church, one after the other, for many years. Another epic series, I hear, may be imminent.

It will no doubt land with the force of an H-bomb on the world of Scientology watching.

:drama:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Re: #6 Anonymous

Some of the comments on Anonymous:

The comments on Anonymous were great. :yes:

And I would strongly agree with those who felt Anonymous belonged higher on the list......MUCH higher! Of those who were intentionally attempting to cripple scientology I would put Anonymous in the #1 slot.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
I'm a few days behind, here. I only just got around to watching the sample Anonymous videos that the VV article included.

The incredible thing that struck me was the creativity and the sense of fun.

The 'bad guys' have virtually limitless resources including something like half a billion stolen, tax-free dollars, Golden Era Productions and an army of near-slaves. They command the loyalty of well-known Hollywood actors... and yet everything they churn out looks dry, creepy, unreal, tasteless and, well, cultish.

The 'good guys' have some truly atrocious dance moves. They have $7 plastic masks, camera-phones, baffling memes and a (probably pirated) copy of iMovie... and yet those movies brought a tear to my eye, made me proud to have stood alongside them. They always inspire me to keep on working against Hubbardism. And if you believe in the good works that the Anons are doing, you send them... nothing at all.

The folks who are still pushing that bogus Scientology 'religion' angle clearly have a LOT to learn about fellowship.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Could it be that Tony Ortega has not yet decided the final order of the last few cripplers? And is polling his audience to see which way the wind is blowing?

Paul

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Could it be that Tony Ortega has not yet decided the final order of the last few cripplers? And is polling his audience to see which way the wind is blowing?

Paul
Could be.. If so, I'd like to remind him trhat Mr.Rathbun is a Marty come lately who's actually still promoting the Hubbardian cult. He's been rather successful at it too! - Seem to have convinced media that he's a genuine cult reformer and popping up everywhere. Quite a feat really.. Almost smells like an orchestrated OSA campaign..

I don't think Mr.Rathbun is out of Scientology at all! - He's making a believeable revolution in Scientology.. A 'revolution' is the one and only 'handling' that will have any chance of salvaging Scientology's public image and reputation..Which is why they ARE making a 'revolution'..

But it's a fake revolution! - Featuring funny and entertaining Squirrel Busters..

However.. If we are fooled into accepting and believeing this 'revolution'.. Scientology will emerge cleansed of all past sins.. As bad as ever, but all the past sins was done by the evil Scientology before the 'revolution'.

:melodramatic:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Could be.. If so, I'd like to remind him trhat Mr.Rathbun is a Marty come lately who's actually still promoting the Hubbardian cult. He's been rather successful at it too! - Seem to have convinced media that he's a genuine cult reformer and popping up everywhere. Quite a feat really.. Almost smells like an orchestrated OSA campaign..

I don't think Mr.Rathbun is out of Scientology at all! - He's making a believeable revolution in Scientology.. A 'revolution' is the one and only 'handling' that will have any chance of salvaging Scientology's public image and reputation..Which is why they ARE making a 'revolution'..

But it's a fake revolution! - Featuring funny and entertaining Squirrel Busters..

However.. If we are fooled into accepting and believeing this 'revolution'.. Scientology will emerge cleansed of all past sins.. As bad as ever, but all the past sins was done by the evil Scientology before the 'revolution'.

:melodramatic:

Yep.

Marty & DM are making old PT Barnum & Hubbard dance with this "caper".