The true cost of becoming a Scientology cult member

Gib

Crusader
Gib, if you want to agree that you're a bitter person who rabidly attacks any spiritual betterment activity, be my guest, although I would consider it untrue. But speak for yourself. That is just insulting to the people on this board and I am really surprised that you defend it. Why do you defend it? Do you agree with it - that there are people or even one person here that is actually AGAINST the spiritual betterment of others? Do you really think that?

But anyhow, do your research and let me know if you decide that it is factual and what is your evidence for that proposition. Show me ONE individual here who is against the spiritual betterment of others - just one.

I'll be waiting.

Purple, you have assumed things in your post about my responses here on this particular tread that are not true.

I posted here more from a philosophy point of view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

"Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality,existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language"

What can I say, I've been reading Plato.

Last edited:

clivedonrose

People will figure it out in time. I have to chuckle when I read blogs of long term execs who have now left, but are still fully engaged with the "tech". Well, I guess anything goes when working out one's new life after the C of S. Although if I'd been so involved in the top management for so long, I'd be making a LOT of amends.

I was a child mission staff member (non SO) Class VIII and OT IV. My family and I all left in the 1980s. I've been inactive on any site since then - until today. Maybe "hiding out" is an extreme description but I had to carve out a new career and persona. However, I have realized that the impact of the C of S demon on my life must be cleared out, along with the inherent evil and negativity. Christianity is answering many of my questions, particularly regarding the utter lack of love and compassion in the C of S. I'm ashamed to have audited so many hundreds of people, thus providing income for the corrupt organization and helping my pcs become even more locked into the C of S.

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
People will figure it out in time. I have to chuckle when I read blogs of long term execs who have now left, but are still fully engaged with the "tech". Well, I guess anything goes when working out one's new life after the C of S. Although if I'd been so involved in the top management for so long, I'd be making a LOT of amends.

I was a child mission staff member (non SO) Class VIII and OT IV. My family and I all left in the 1980s. I've been inactive on any site since then - until today. Maybe "hiding out" is an extreme description but I had to carve out a new career and persona. However, I have realized that the impact of the C of S demon on my life must be cleared out, along with the inherent evil and negativity. Christianity is answering many of my questions, particularly regarding the utter lack of love and compassion in the C of S. I'm ashamed to have audited so many hundreds of people, thus providing income for the corrupt organization and helping my pcs become even more locked into the C of S.

Welcome and thank you, clivedonrose!

Please don't be so hard on yourself. I know it's easy to do at the start of opening up with others who share a common bond like we all do here. Most here have suffered with guilt for doing things in the name of 'helping', unaware of the fact that we were fooled and that our contributions to ourselves and others getting and staying in had unforeseen consequences.

Telling your story, on your own terms and time table, will help in that cleansing. And help others.

hug.jpg

PS: No amends projects are required on this forum!

Mary

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think most people can make a case for an "indie scio'gist" being even more batshit crazy than a garden variety scn'gist

From what I've read seems like this ethics/TECH/admin

Indies are techies but I'm not sure how they think can seperate the SP/PTS are case conditions and to
apply the tech:confused2:

If they wanta explain how doing the tech would'nt wind them up in the same place here's the chance
not up to me to do it, I obviously think its horseshit top to bottom.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
An interesting opening post and equally interesting responses . . .

One of the things I have learned in my now long life is that folks operate on and within their belief systems. They have accepted and/or believe certain "facts" based on experience and these data or propositions about life and its interrelationships then, thereafter, dictate their behavior.

The tragedy is that folks often are operating on these belief systems blindly and on automatic.

Because of the above, I would say that it is rather unhelpful to make a person wrong for his or her belief systems but instead to endeavor to have the person address and inspect the basis and data of the beliefs they hold. Some folks are capable of inspecting their beliefs and upgrading and correcting them based on new experience.

Making a person wrong for their honestly accepted or developed beliefs only leads to disharmony and is unhelpful . . . indeed, it is detrimental to all involved including the party projecting the wrongness on the other person.

I've had many belief systems and data I've used and operated on in my life that have had to be undone or upgraded. Even within the realm of the physical universe and in strict physical universe terms they had proven wrong. I well remember some from my champion athlete days: and example being that we believed we should take some glucose or honey/sugar to "get some energy into the system" before a race . . . . What a wrong answer that turned out to be! In retrospect, better, later developed science showed that the action actually crashed the energy production/utilization system of the body and that having the body burning lipids was a better way to go.

I write this because I see a lot of belief systems being expressed above. And, of course, they are based on individual experiences.

The only point I would make on that is: was a wholly correct believe developed from the experience? Partially correct? Partly false? Wholly false?

As I wrote in my book and on my radio show website: All of Life is a Learning Curve.

Personally, I like to re-evaluate and reconsider the lessons I have "learned" from yore and continue to inspect such for truthfulness and true workability in present time.

It is, I have found, unwise to be hung up in the past too fixedly.

RogerB

I've read elsewhere that " A belief is a thought one keeps one thinking ".

So, if that is true ( and I believe - LOL ! - it is ) then all a person has to do is shift - change - their thought and, poof, that "belief" is gone.

Hmm, if a person can change ( OK, their own reality ) by changing their thought right now then doesn't that make the whole deal of digging into the past entirely the wrong way to go about change?

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Looking at this paragraph...

This is the true cost of being a cult member: the social and emotional costs, and the lasting damage to health and mental stability. If not addressed promptly by getting appropriate counseling and developing a support network, it can leave a person emotionally scarred for life. They can remain so bitter that they will attack any mention of betterment. In addition, they will still exhibit the identity they developed to survive as a group member. They are out of the cult but they still act like cult members when encountering challenging situations.

I don't have a problem with it because in the sentence "They can remain so bitter that they will attack any mention of betterment." it is stated "They can remain so bitter..." which does not imply that everybody that exists will be so, which in that case the sentence would have "They will remain so bitter...".

Well perhaps that is why someone asked for one example. And who knows, perhaps the original poster has seen one example or maybe several.

Given the other accuracies in the original post, which appears to have been written with careful thought, I presume that the original poster included that paragraph because it was observed by him at some point and that he scrutinized his entire dissertation including the above paragraph.

Rd00