What's new

The true cost of becoming a Scientology cult member

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
An interesting opening post and equally interesting responses . . .

One of the things I have learned in my now long life is that folks operate on and within their belief systems. They have accepted and/or believe certain "facts" based on experience and these data or propositions about life and its interrelationships then, thereafter, dictate their behavior.

The tragedy is that folks often are operating on these belief systems blindly and on automatic.

Because of the above, I would say that it is rather unhelpful to make a person wrong for his or her belief systems but instead to endeavor to have the person address and inspect the basis and data of the beliefs they hold. Some folks are capable of inspecting their beliefs and upgrading and correcting them based on new experience.

Making a person wrong for their honestly accepted or developed beliefs only leads to disharmony and is unhelpful . . . indeed, it is detrimental to all involved including the party projecting the wrongness on the other person.

I've had many belief systems and data I've used and operated on in my life that have had to be undone or upgraded. Even within the realm of the physical universe and in strict physical universe terms they had proven wrong. I well remember some from my champion athlete days: and example being that we believed we should take some glucose or honey/sugar to "get some energy into the system" before a race . . . . What a wrong answer that turned out to be! In retrospect, better, later developed science showed that the action actually crashed the energy production/utilization system of the body and that having the body burning lipids was a better way to go.

I write this because I see a lot of belief systems being expressed above. And, of course, they are based on individual experiences.

The only point I would make on that is: was a wholly correct believe developed from the experience? Partially correct? Partly false? Wholly false?

As I wrote in my book and on my radio show website: All of Life is a Learning Curve.

Personally, I like to re-evaluate and reconsider the lessons I have "learned" from yore and continue to inspect such for truthfulness and true workability in present time.

It is, I have found, unwise to be hung up in the past too fixedly.

RogerB

The best thing people like Old Auditor (and yourself) could do is to take your particular version of the tech and promote it (and yourselves) in the open market ... and be completely upfront about what you are trying to do (improve everyone and make them think more like you do?).

You'll probably need to work extra hard to convince people that they need you (due to all the work being done to expose cultic thinking, lol) but you won't have to bother yourselves with the "bitter, the twisted" and the completely disinterested.

:coolwink:

Gib

Crusader

The best thing people like Old Auditor (and yourself) could do is to take your particular version of the tech and promote it (and yourselves) in the open market ... and be completely upfront about what you are trying to do (improve everyone and make them think more like you do?).

You'll probably need to work extra hard to convince people that they need you (due to all the work being done to expose cultic thinking, lol) but you won't have to bother yourselves with the "bitter, the twisted" and the completely disinterested.

In viewing Old Auditor post and Roger B post, i don't see that they were promoting their business, but just explaining their viewpoints.

Mind you, I'm just reading what they wrote and not what I think they wrote.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
In viewing Old Auditor post and Roger B post, i don't see that they were promoting their business, but just explaining their viewpoints.

Mind you, I'm just reading what they wrote and not what I think they wrote.

Goody for you.

I read what they wrote too but was also able to recall what they have previously written and what they both currently do and promote.

I do that these days, because I'm not as gullible as I once was.

:whatever:

marjiking

Patron
You had me until this bit.

To which I say BULL SHIT.

There are others who leave the cult and never realise they are still forwarding cult mechanisms put in place by the founder.

"9. The antisocial personality supports only destructive groups and rages against and attacks any constructive or betterment group.

10. This type of personality approves only of destructive actions and fights against constructive or helpful actions or activities.
The artist in particular is often found as a magnet for persons with antisocial personalities who see in his art something which must be destroyed and covertly, “as a friend,” proceed to try.

11. Helping others is an activity which drives the antisocial personality nearly berserk. Activities, however, which destroy in the name of help are closely supported."
i have a true anti social diagnosis meaning that i can't be in large crowds for long periods of time i get panic attacks problems communicating my emotions and feeling, dis trust of people at an extreme level.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
i have a true anti social diagnosis meaning that i can't be in large crowds for long periods of time i get panic attacks problems communicating my emotions and feeling, dis trust of people at an extreme level.

Many people have similar issues (including people never in a cult) marjiking, I'd suggest you just do the things that make you happy and comfortable (ie don't go into crowds unless you have an 'escape' planned) especially while you are coming to terms with the guilt trips and general insanity that being a scientologist would have given you (and gave us all).

One thing at a time perhaps?

Later on, if you feel the need you could get some help as there are many trained therapists that will be able to assist you to work things out because everything that "worked" in scientology is available (in some form) in the real world these days, only without the added crap.

Just watch out for scientologists/Indies here leaping to "assist" you (unless you want that) because they are not trained in anything apart from cult nonsense (usually slightly re worded) and you could end up playing "hunt the body thetans" at a later stage and nobody wants to see that!

:biggrin:

Gib

Crusader
Goody for you.

I read what they wrote too but was also able to recall what they have previously written and what they both currently do and promote.

I do that these days, because I'm not as gullible as I once was.

:whatever:

but of course.

I would think people reaching here on ESMB might now be able to think and recall and decide for themselves, and do research if it is true or not.

marjiking

Patron
ironically i have a very good shrink she is amazing helped me to get off the meds once my head was de cluttered and free of major triggers taught me some awesome ways with out meds on how to cope deal with my mental health and has even educated my better half on how to deal with my ptsd(post traumatic stress disorder mind you) i have flash backs and auditory and visual hallucinations at times sucks really alot.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
ironically i have a very good shrink she is amazing helped me to get off the meds once my head was cluttered and free of major triggers taught me some awesome ways with out meds on how to cope deal with my mental health and has even educated my better half on how to deal with my ptsd(post traumatic stress disorder mind you) i have flash backs and auditory and visual hallucinations at times sucks really alot.

It does get better. You'll find a lot of stories similar to yours here on ESMB. It's educational and in my case was really, really needed.
This website has played a HUGE part in my recovery from the $cn. kult. Hoping it helps you too.

Free Being Me

Crusader
ironically i have a very good shrink she is amazing helped me to get off the meds once my head was de cluttered and free of major triggers taught me some awesome ways with out meds on how to cope deal with my mental health and has even educated my better half on how to deal with my ptsd(post traumatic stress disorder mind you) i have flash backs and auditory and visual hallucinations at times sucks really alot.

:flowers:

Free Being Me

Crusader
but of course.

I would think people reaching here on ESMB might now be able to think and recall and decide for themselves, and do research if it is true or not.

OldAuditor said:
>snip<You can see some of these people on the ESMB forum. They have been out of Scientology for up to 20 years and they are still proudly brandishing their upset with Scientology and anything that might possibly raise their tone level.

Other ex-churchies have dedicated their lives to exposing the abuses and criminality of the cult of Scientology. Their goal is to keep others from falling into the clutches of Scientology, Inc. This is a worthwhile goal but what is gained if it keeps them from expanding on all dynamics?

They can remain so bitter that they will attack any mention of betterment.>snip<

Contextual quotes. I'll pass on being rescued with tek, I don't have my entities insured. :giggle:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
but of course.

I'd agree, but only once they are past the susceptible point that we were probably all still at when we first left or when we "dared" set foot near ESMB.

The susceptible point takes as long as it takes to get through though and people can be dragged back into thinking with the "tek" if they are not through it when they encounter "pro tek lovers" (cofs or Indie) and they never really get to peel the onion properly which I (and many others) believe is the best way to go when exiting something that has had control over someone (drugs and alcohol included) ... later they may re look at things and choose to use some parts of scientology in their lives and that is their business entirely.

I know of someone who recently left the SO (very carefully just as I did, via an exhausting and stressful fitness board) ... he had to do that (rather than just walk out the door) in order to retain relationships (you know how it works) so guess what he will now spend many years doing? Answer ... ignoring his prior career, repaying a freeloader bill and working with one of those stupid PR groups (CCHR) and going up the bridge to fucking nowhere and probably feeling like a loser for not making it in hubbards fake navy. He may never lose the cult chains even though he left the SO because the real chains are (or were) between our ears and because of the surrounding GHOULS who have a vested interest in maintaining the cultic thinking gently nudging him in the 'right' direction if he ever starts to stray and think for himself.

Indies try and do that here, some more professionally than others (lol).

I have no issue (as I've said about 5 million times) with anyone believing in "spiritual teammates/body thetans or fairies living in their freezers" but I dislike seeing them trying to keep others in that mindset ... especially when they are at that susceptible point where they are thinking of leaving or are newly out of the cult as so many of the lurkers here are likely to be.

YMMV ... but I don't care.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Originally Posted by OldAuditor
They can remain so bitter that they will attack any mention of betterment.

Can someone please check my clay demo of

''betterment''

View attachment 7304

:hysterical:

Scientology Paradox Du Jour: OldAuditor scolds unnamed people for being "bitter" and "attacking betterment". Yet, if an ex-Scientologist feels terrifically "better" after jettisoning Hubbard's hoax, OldAuditor "attacks" them. LOL

Scientology: You're only allowed to say you are better if you agree that the tech made you better. If you claim to be better without the tech, then you are r-factored that you're not better--you're bitter.

Have I mentioned recently that Scientology takes perfectly good humans and turns them into Operating Hypocrites?

Last edited:

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
Hubbard was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at the VA hospital psychiatric ward; I found this data at WikiLeaks. Therefore, anyone who follows him to the grave is also seriously mentally ill.

Purple Rain

Crusader
but of course.

Gib, if you want to agree that you're a bitter person who rabidly attacks any spiritual betterment activity, be my guest, although I would consider it untrue. But speak for yourself. That is just insulting to the people on this board and I am really surprised that you defend it. Why do you defend it? Do you agree with it - that there are people or even one person here that is actually AGAINST the spiritual betterment of others? Do you really think that?

But anyhow, do your research and let me know if you decide that it is factual and what is your evidence for that proposition. Show me ONE individual here who is against the spiritual betterment of others - just one.

I'll be waiting.

HelluvaHoax!

Hubbard was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at the VA hospital psychiatric ward; I found this data at WikiLeaks. Therefore, anyone who follows him to the grave is also seriously mentally ill.

OTs don't look at it quite that way. . .

(WARNING: I feel a rant coming on! LOL)

At midnight, the phone rings in the home of an Ex-Scientologist. They pick it up.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST (into phone)
Hello?

SCIENTOLOGIST
(voice on phone)
Hello!!! My name is John Smith and I am calling because
I am on a special project to update our central files and make sure
that we have correct data in your folder.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
No you're not. Why are you really calling?

SCIENTOLOGIST
Um......Okayyyyyyy, I got that.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
WTF? Listen, I know you are not John Smith. I
recognize your voice. You are Billy Blowdown. We
twinned every day on the Briefing Course for 2 years.
You're a Clear--you should be able to remember that.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Thank you, I really get where you're coming from. So,
are you still living at 14093 Oak Tree Lane?

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
(looking out window)
I think you know the answer to that. I can see you right
now parked in front of my house in that rusted old
1979 Toyota beater. Your shore story is blown, why
don't you just tell me why you're calling.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Okayyyyyyy. I am calling to help recover you back onto
the Bridge and salvage you to safeguard your eternity.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
Not interested. Bye-Bye...

SCIENTOLOGIST
WAIT!!! What would it take to get you back on lines?
Ron says the only reason a person blows is an MU.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
LOL. Yeah, okay, let's play. I will go back on lines if
you can clear up my MU. I walked into the Ideal Org
last week and it was totally dead. When I asked the org's
ED how it was going they said the org was booming. So,
that's my MU. There was only one person on course,
a staff member on the OEC--doing a clay demo
on how to standardly wash a car. Yet, the ED looked
me right in the eye and said that they are "flourishing &
prospering". How is that even possible?

SCIENTOLOGIST
Right. The reference to that is LRH's data on OT.
Ron states that to be an OT you have to
go out of agreement with MEST.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
Are you an OT Billy?

SCIENTOLOGIST
Yes, I am OT VIII.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
Total Cause over MEST?

SCIENTOLOGIST
Yes!! Amazing isn't it?

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
Yeah, really mind-blowing. I am
going to test your OT powers
now Billy. I will hang up now and let's
see if you can go out of agreement
with the MEST dial tone.

SCIENTOLOGIST
WAIT! Before you go, can I get
a few bucks for gas money to
get back to the Org? We're doing
all all-nighter to get out a promo piece
about our upcoming seminar on using
OT postulates achieve all your goals.
Can I confirm you for that event?

Last edited:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
OTs don't look at it quite that way. . .

(WARNING: I feel a rant coming on! LOL)

At midnight, the phone rings in the home of an Ex-Scientologist. They pick it up.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST (into phone)
Hello?

SCIENTOLOGIST
(voice on phone)
Hello!!! My name is John Smith and I am calling because
I am on a special project to update our central files and make sure
that we have correct data in your folder.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
No you're not. Why are you really calling?

SCIENTOLOGIST
Um......Okayyyyyyy, I got that.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
WTF? Listen, I know you are not John Smith. I
recognize your voice. You are Billy Blowdown. We
twinned every day on the Briefing Course for 2 years.
You're a Clear--you should be able to remember that.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Thank you, I really get where you're coming from. So,
are you still living at 14093 Oak Tree Lane?

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
(looking out window)
I think you know the answer to that. I can see you right
now parked in front of my house in that rusted old
1979 Toyota beater. Your shore story is blown, why
don't you just tell me why you're calling.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Okayyyyyyy. I am calling to help recover you back onto
the Bridge and salvage you to safeguard your eternity.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
Not interested. Bye-Bye...

SCIENTOLOGIST
WAIT!!! What would it take to get you back on lines?
Ron says the only reason a person blows is an MU.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
LOL. Yeah, okay, let's play. I will go back on lines if
you can clear up my MU. I walked into the Ideal Org
last week and it was totally dead. When I asked the org's
ED how it was going they said the org was booming. So,
that's my MU. There was only one person on course,
a staff member on the OEC--doing a clay demo
on how to standardly wash a car. Yet, the ED looked
me right in the eye and said that they are "flourishing &
prospering". How is that even possible?

SCIENTOLOGIST
Right. The reference to that is LRH's data on OT.
Ron states that to be an OT you have to
go out of agreement with MEST.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
Are you an OT Billy?

SCIENTOLOGIST
Yes, I am OT VIII.

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
Total Cause over MEST?

SCIENTOLOGIST
Yes!! Amazing isn't it?

EX-SCIENTOLOGIST
Yeah, really mind-blowing. I am
going to test your OT powers
now Billy. I will hang up now and let's
see if you can go out of agreement
with the MEST dial tone.

SCIENTOLOGIST
WAIT! Before you go, can I get
a few bucks for gas money to
get back to the Org? We're doing
all all-nighter to get out a promo piece
about our upcoming seminar on using
OT postulates achieve all your goals.
Can I confirm you for that event?

LOL !

You got the scio thingie down cold.

I can't seem to see the difference in those clowns & the ones who "say" they have left the cos but come here, post, & continue to spew the same shit with the same funky kind of words as the ones running around the empty "orgs".

Is there any discernible difference in those who got their ass out of scn but can't seem to get their head out of it ?

They are easy to see 'em for what they are but is it they think they have fooled everybody - or do they just suffer from having terminal stuoidity ?

Can Billy Blowdown talk some sense into them ?

HelluvaHoax!

LOL !

You got the scio thingie down cold.

I can't seem to see the difference in those clowns & the ones who "say" they have left the cos but come here, post, & continue to spew the same shit with the same funky kind of words as the ones running around the empty "orgs".

Is there any discernible difference in those who got their ass out of scn but can't seem to get their head out of it ?

They are easy to see 'em for what they are but is it they think they have fooled everybody - or do they just suffer from having terminal stuoidity ?

Can Billy Blowdown talk some sense into them ?

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Like Stonehenge and Atlantis, Indie Scientology is one of the world's great unsolved mysteries.

One of the more unfathomably perplexing aspects of it is that even after the Indie blew the COS, and even after the internet arrived (revealing the darkest secrets of the cult and L. Ron Hubbard) they still don't know that the Bridge to Clear & OT has been thoroughly and disgracefully debunked.

It's kind of like a ruthlessly bilked victim of Bernie Madoff that still is promoting the huge (financial) "GAINS" possible with Bernie's "tech"--and wanting others to have similar wins to their own.

And, if you dare remind that them that Bernie played them for a fool and bankrupted them--they get all Huffy-Hubbardy on your ass and claim you are "attacking" them. LOL

Scientologists: In spite of their advanced knowing-how-to-know technology, they are always the last to know.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Like Stonehenge and Atlantis, Indie Scientology is one of the world's great unsolved mysteries.

One of the more unfathomably perplexing aspects of it is that even after the Indie blew the COS, and even after the internet arrived (revealing the darkest secrets of the cult and L. Ron Hubbard) they still don't know that the Bridge to Clear & OT has been thoroughly and disgracefully debunked.

It's kind of like a ruthlessly bilked victim of Bernie Madoff that still is promoting the huge (financial) "GAINS" possible with Bernie's "tech"--and wanting others to have similar wins to their own.

And, if you dare remind that them that Bernie played them for a fool and bankrupted them--they get all Huffy-Hubbardy on your ass and claim you are "attacking" them. LOL

Scientologists: In spite of their advanced knowing-how-to-know technology, they are always the last to know.

Ah, you so hit the "held down 7" dead center.

Gives a new meaning to " Dead Head ".

Thanks.

Oh PS : Exactly WTF are " Indies " indie of ?