This will freak out Scientology: Deep Brain Stimulation

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
This will freak out Scientology:LA Times: Deep brain stimulation: Expanding its reach to new patients

Lead paragraphs:
Electrical therapy, used for years to treat Parkinson's and other movement disorders, may soon tackle depression and more.

Under the skin, a battery is surgically implanted -- generally within the upper chest. From the battery, wires snake up to the head, to tickle different targets deep inside the brain.

Such is the hardware for deep brain stimulation -- the equivalent of a cardiac pacemaker for the mind.

Until recently, deep brain stimulation was approved in the U.S. only to treat certain movement disorders, primarily those of Parkinson's disease, for which it diminishes tremors and rigidity and improves mobility. To date, more than 60,000 patients worldwide have had the devices implanted.

But now use of the technique seems set to mushroom.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder results:
In studies with a total of 26 patients with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder, 60% of those whose device was turned on demonstrated "very much improved" symptoms after months of deep brain stimulation as measured by interviews and questionnaires, says Dr. Benjamin Greenberg, an associate professor at Brown University Medical School and Butler Hospital in Providence, R.I., who was one of the study researchers.

The patients had previously failed on medicines as well as behavioral cognitive therapy.
Epilepsy results:
The data, presented in December at a meeting in Seattle, show that deep brain stimulation reduced the number of seizures by 38% compared with what was seen before implanting the device.

That is slightly better than improvement seen with vagus nerve stimulation, another FDA-approved electrical stimulation treatment, which reduces seizures by about 25%.

The control group whose device was kept turned off, also improved, by 14.5%. That could be due to a placebo effect. Or it might be because people who join trials are usually at their worst -- and often tend to improve somewhat on their own, says trial researcher Dr. Douglas Labar, of the Weill Cornell Medical College in New York.
Depression results:
In a study of 20 patients, 55% still responded to treatment as late as one year after surgery, says study author Dr. Helen Mayberg, professor of psychiatry and neurology at Emory University. That is an "unheard-of response rate" given that these patients had tried and failed every other treatment, including several medications and electroconvulsive therapy, Mayberg says.

By comparison, Mayberg says, stimulation of the vagus nerve in the neck, approved by the FDA for depression, has only a 15% response rate at 10 weeks in similarly severely depressed patients.
Like I said, this will freak out Scientology.

Obviously, the above experiments are not intended to actually help people. Oh no, the are obviously the preliminary steps towards WORLD WIDE PSYCH MIND CONTROL!!!!! [Insert evil laugh.]

I also predict unfair, factually wrong and unethical analogies to electroshock therapy. Obviously, since the above involves the application of electric current to areas of the brain it is equivalent to "frying" the brain. Please, let us not allow something as inconvenient as facts get in the way of a graphic and misleading analogy.

I have to admit, I am a bit curious regarding how people here will react to the above.

I predict many won't like it because... it is just, well, wrong. Doesn't matter if it is applied only after informed consent. Doesn't matter if it works. Doesn't matter if it alleviates symptoms. Doesn't matter if it makes people's lives better. "It is wrong because I don't like it. Because it makes me feel uncomfortable."

Just a thought.

ILived1984!

Patron with Honors
Thanks for that article. I recently read about epilepsy and a little about deep brain stimulation.

After reading how people with epilepsy suffer and are restricted in some aspects of life, I'm all for this treatment for them. Like any treatment, it has it's place. I'm for people not suffering uneccessarily. :sad:

I'm also not sure why people would compare deep brain stimulation to electroconvulsive therapy since according to what I've read and what I've seen in the article, deep brain stimulation is used to send electrical waves to stimulate particular parts of the brain to stop seizures or modify waves to prevent certain reactions. It also appears to have a successful broad spectrum of treatment. ECT is used to create seizures and has a very small spectrum of use for treatment like severe depression. That seems pretty different to me. :confused2:

Since being out I've been thankful for advances in medicine. I'm not beating the drum for the enitre medical community since I've found successful alternative treatments to ailments that per a doctor required surgery. On the other hand, if it wasn't for medicine and advancements I would be in sorry shape. I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to understand what is happening to you and check options like everything else in life. :)

DCAnon

Silver Meritorious Patron
I have a very good friend with epilepsy who has some pretty severe grand mal seizures and it really effects her short term memory. She's part of the experimental group of something like this with electrodes in her brain triggered by a magnet she uses when she feels a seizure coming on. It's a little like controlled electro-shock therapy without the muscle contractions since the electrodes stimulate the parts of the brain directly. :< We're all hopeful it'll be successful, there's not a nicer person in the world and she and her husband are my parent's closest friends. If Scientology would rather this lady suffer and deny her treatment she's decided to pursue herself, they can suck a big donkey dick. :thumbsup:

avbb

Patron
These devices are not for everyone with epilepsy or depression. There are certain criteria they must fit in order to even have these options. Only certain types of epilepsy can benefit and usually these are the LAST HOPE available. Keep in mind the adverse side effects can be just awful, infection, worsening of the condition, malfuction, death and the success rate is 30% for those who recieve some kind of benifit.

The Vagas Nerve Stimulator has 44,000 implants world wide, mostly in the US. Half of those units have been shut off because of the side effects. Deep Brain Stimulation has not yet been approved by the FDA and still in testing, but it won't be long.

If you want more info, pm me. I speak from experiance :whistling: