What's new

This will hardly come as news but dammit, I want to talk about it.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
We know that the cult chews people up. It's no surprise to anyone here, whether former SO, former Mission or Class V Org staff or former long time public, that staff are treated horribly.

I'm very sure that many here know far more than I do about this and have seen more.

All the same, though, it's hit me hard today. I was chatting with some good friends of mine about someone I used to know. I never was close to this person but what communication I did have with her was really nice. I know that she was dedicated. She, sadly, is no longer with us. That makes me sad. But what makes me sadder is that evidently she was literally hungry when in the cult. Now, bear with me. I know that a lot of people in the SO are given shitty rations and have reported being hungry, half starved. And I know that other staff and public often are in dire financial straits, too. This should not come as news to me that someone was hungry. But somehow it's hit me. I'm sorry, I'm just crying.

And what hurts even more? Some people who are still in the cult are making excuses for it. Does that come as a surprise? No.

I guess I'm just not inured to it. I guess that's good cuz then I'd be jaded. I don't want to be jaded.

Fuck. I'm signing off. I'm crying. I can't stand this.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
We know that the cult chews people up. It's no surprise to anyone here, whether former SO, former Mission or Class V Org staff or former long time public, that staff are treated horribly.

I'm very sure that many here know far more than I do about this and have seen more.

All the same, though, it's hit me hard today. I was chatting with some good friends of mine about someone I used to know. I never was close to this person but what communication I did have with her was really nice. I know that she was dedicated. She, sadly, is no longer with us. That makes me sad. But what makes me sadder is that evidently she was literally hungry when in the cult. Now, bear with me. I know that a lot of people in the SO are given shitty rations and have reported being hungry, half starved. And I know that other staff and public often are in dire financial straits, too. This should not come as news to me that someone was hungry. But somehow it's hit me. I'm sorry, I'm just crying.

And what hurts even more? Some people who are still in the cult are making excuses for it. Does that come as a surprise? No.

I guess I'm just not inured to it. I guess that's good cuz then I'd be jaded. I don't want to be jaded.

:bighug:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes

Soulfully sad - sorry for your loss. :console: Sometimes stuff on ESMB just gets me to crying - deeply - and I feel soulfully saddened.

Free Being Me

Crusader

Cults CRUSH people :angry:

Sorry for your friend V :hug:

xenusdad

Patron with Honors
There is one thing us esmb-ers have in common with the rest of the human race and that is the ability to feel appropriate emotions and respond accordingly. If it's upsetting, we cry. If it's joyous, we feel joy. And so on.

By contrast, a Scientologist comes across as an emotion-less, unfeeling, robotic
dupe. They are so "on purpose" they haven't got time for HE&R, well, human emotion and reaction is what makes us what we are, if you want to be a robotic dead-inside automaton, get on with it.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I lost touch with her when I left the church. We hadn't been close, but I truly liked her. I feel sad that anyone goes through these terrible things but it seems worse when it's someone I knew. I know it's NOT worse because everyone is a person with feelings, but it just is more damn real this way and it's like a punch to the gut.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

I lost touch with her when I left the church. We hadn't been close, but I truly liked her. I feel sad that anyone goes through these terrible things but it seems worse when it's someone I knew. I know it's NOT worse because everyone is a person with feelings, but it just is more damn real this way and it's like a punch to the gut.

So sorry, Claire. It makes me sick to read about what happened to your friend. :( There's nothing like a personal connection to the person to see the magnitude of of these crimes which no one should have to suffer.

This is why we protest.......

Mary

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron

My dear VC, if you truly liked her, I would say it is most likely that she liked you, too. That's all it takes to be close. Yes, I do believe you were close.

:bighug:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I'm very sorry to hear that you got this painful news. Your tears are noble. Nobody should leave this world without being mourned, and we don't need to be very close to someone for them to deserve a place in our hearts. She must have been a lovely person to have a place in yours.

Peace, my friend.

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
This is what upsets me more than anything else about the cult. There is such pressure from members to "make it go right," right up to having everything go horribly wrong. I have never been a conspiracy nut, but how can this happen in the US or worldwide? Is there no government left that is not corrupt?

In a normal world, death like this would bring attention, but not in the parallel universe of LRH, the Turd.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
You guys are awesome.

I think most here know what an idealist I am and maybe sometimes too much so...but, honestly, when I was a member, I thought it was about caring. I really did. And when I saw bad stuff, I thought it was just some off policy whatevers. This was NOT the case. I know so and so does just about everyone here. It's the norm. But, as you guys know, it wasn't what any of us were signing on for...

Dilettante

Patron Meritorious
Caring

Claire,
I'm so sorry. I am also affected by these losses within the group because we ALL WANTED to help ohers. To the detriment of self! She did and suffered for it-needlessly. For that I am sorry for her and others. I am so grateful for you and others here for acknowledging the needless suffering. This needs to stop.
Dil

Wisened One

Crusader
:console: Sooo sorry for your loss, Claire. Loss sucks, no matter what and who it is...but when it's as a result of working your damn life and body away, literally starving to death in a cult...it's even sadder! :sad:

If anybody lurking here knows of someone in the SO or on staff who is really physically suffering in some way, denied food, clothing, shelter, medical/dental care, etc. then please contact Adult Protective Services for the County where they are located and make a report. (Many places dial 211 for Social services information) You can make it anonymously. It might help to end or lesson pain for someone who is suffering.

Last edited:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I was talking to John (husband) about this last night. I was like, you know, the bitch of it is (among other things) that if she'd have said anything where other staff could hear her, some staff (not all, I don't think, but some for sure) would have told her (or written her up) "no case on post." I can just picture this happening.

There is just NO excuse for this.

Jump

Operating teatime
No man is an island, entire of itself.
Every man is a piece of the continent,a part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less,
as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were.
Any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And, therefore, never send to know for whom the bell tolls.
It tolls for thee.

John Donne (English poet)

..... sorry bout your friend VC

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was talking to John (husband) about this last night. I was like, you know, the bitch of it is (among other things) that if she'd have said anything where other staff could hear her, some staff (not all, I don't think, but some for sure) would have told her (or written her up) "no case on post." I can just picture this happening.

There is just NO excuse for this.

Sorry to hear about your loss Fluff. Nope, there isn't any excuse - especially when the senior execs live like kings.