What's new

Thomas Szasz: Our Right To Drugs

bluewiggirl

Patron Meritorious
Good points.

Some of this is covered under the rules of "Set and Setting" which basically states, be in the right/conducive environment (setting) and emotional state (mind-set) when utilizing a substance.

For instance, if you are drinking alcohol from your beer hat and driving a car, one is in the wrong setting for that drug experience and risks killing onself or others.

Same principle applies (or should) for all other substances which grown thetans have a right to ingest should they choose.

Education (the real deal, not proaganda and lies), common sense and personal responsibility should be the targets, not the regulation of private behavior and criminalizing and caging good people.

If anyone should be locked in the slammer it's the small number of real criminals that are running this sinking ship called "America."

"Set and Setting" may be good guidelines, but so is "do unto others" and we still need laws in place to make sure people don't go mugging each other. We have laws in place to (theoretically) protect us from drunk drivers and punishments for those who don't obey them, is that not "regulation of private behavior" in your eyes? Or are you willing to support a certain amount of regulation to protect innocent bystanders to drug use?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
"Set and Setting" may be good guidelines, but so is "do unto others" and we still need laws in place to make sure people don't go mugging each other. We have laws in place to (theoretically) protect us from drunk drivers and punishments for those who don't obey them, is that not "regulation of private behavior" in your eyes? Or are you willing to support a certain amount of regulation to protect innocent bystanders to drug use?

The key thing to understand here is the difference between a right and a license.

We give the government the power to issue and control licenses for activities that can be potentially dangerous to the public.

Rights are not given, nor are they taken away, by any government. They are inalienable.

Just as a plumber is not allowed to continue using his plumber's license if he hooks the sewer up to the water system of an apartment complex, killing lots of people, a driver is not allowed to have his driver's license if he plows into a crowd of people while drunk.

Rights and Licenses - not the same thing.

Björkist

Silver Meritorious Patron

The problem is that laws don't stop things from happening.

If they did, we would live in a wonderful utopia with all the laws that have been made over the last 200+ years.

It's sorta like the saying "Locks keep honest people out."

Also, drunk driving isn't private behavior.

If one's behavior under the influence of any (or no) substance is harming other people, of course that should be addressed and handled.

I think this works:

Education (the real deal, not proaganda and lies), common sense and personal responsibility should be the targets, not the regulation of private behavior and criminalizing and caging good people.

Also, a concept referred to as "the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics" in Scientology works well for me, especially when combined with the above.

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
I see your arguement, Leon. But I think it's an urban myth that people go crazy from "drugs". At very least, it's a generality. Marijuana doesn't make people crazy (makes 'em "high" for a little while, then they sleep, not really a danger).

marijuana just makes people stupid and boring to be around.

Also, I waver between banning drugs for real (figuring out some way to enforce the law) and just making 'em legal and taxing them.

However, when I'm in my banning phase, I'm all for banning cigarettes. But they outlawed alcohol, and everyone knows how well that went.

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
So far, the Northeast Coast of England, and the Southeast Coast of England are hailing Alanzo.

Is anyone dialing in from either of the western coasts?

It's my dream to finally be accepted in England.
Beleive me England accepts anyone!.

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have never met a regular pot smoker that I would hire to do anything that required a dedicated focus to perform. For obvious reasons.

But hey, open mindedness is very popular... why not leave your kids in a day care facility that employs regular pot smokers?

Björkist

Silver Meritorious Patron
Where are all those lovely thetans who think personal and private behavior that doesn't harm other people should be regulated by an outside agency such as a government or religious order?

I know there are some thetans here who fit that description..c'mon, what are you (if the shoe fits...BUY IT) withholding on the subject of your desire to control other beings and inflict your sick twisted "morality" on them?

Excuse me, I seem to have rambled on a bit, pardon me, excuse me. God save the Queen!

Last edited:

angel

Patron with Honors
Legalize Pot?

I think alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana. If one is to be legal and the other illegal, in the US it should be reversed. I think I have tried many drugs short of shooting up. Being a mom of 4 I now have been watching my kids experiment, which of course I am against. The two eldest have decided to have the occasional drink and be relatively conservative. My 3rd child has decided to be the party king. He has confirmed my consideration that someone who is high is much more tolerable than one who is drunk. Though potheads do stupid things. Drunks pass out and have no control.

I can't say that I advocate the legalization of drugs. I would like to see the time and energy people put into drug legalization spent on working out why people feel the need to be something different. How do you get to a state of contentment. Happiness and fun without substance. At this point if I have a drink I feel like it kind of ruins everything. It makes me sleepy so then then nights over. I am happy and fun without it.

My final demon is prescription pain medication. How to kill pain without drugs. I have had arthritis pain since I was 20. Its constant. I take glucosamine, flaxseed oil, fish oil, garlic. I do yoga. I have a prescription of Ultram/Tramadol. I stopped taking this 1 week ago and I am trying to do without.

Jen

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Bjorkie's point is to let escapees from the Cult know that ESMB denizens are druggies. :) (Just like they were told)

Zinj