What's new

Time for a Tom Cruise thread

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
It's August. Good enough reason for a Tom Cruise thread.

We haven't heard much from Tom since the release of his summer non-blockbuster "Edge of Tomorrow". While some reviews of the film were favorable, stating it was good for its sci-fi genre, it bombed at the American box office. Now released on DVD, the name of the film has been changed to "Live, Die, Repeat".

What got me thinking about Cruise was a brief mention in today's Underground Bunker column about his divorce from Nichole Kidman. Stating that their divorce, unlike the divorce from Katie Holmes, was not a direct result of $cientology.

Uhhh, I seem to recall his $cientology handlers had some part in all of that. Anyone else remember it that way? As I said in my introductory post here, as a never-in, the way I got interested in Cof$ was by reading the Andrew Morton unauthorized biography of Tom Cruise.

Interesting to read the reviews of that 2008 book when it was released - which I had never read before. Reviews can be found at the bottom of this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Morton_(writer)
Since then, about 99.9% of what Morton wrote about the Cof$, its practices, Miscavige, and Tom's involvement in the church has been verified time and time again to be true.

Anyone here know who worked with Andrew Morton on the book? Whoever it was, they were quoting Miscavige comments about Cruise, so they had to be VERY close.
(Mike? Marty?)

The children: Connor Cruise, Tom's adopted son who was theoretically raised in Cof$, seems to be following his own unique pathway in life:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-puffs-cigarette-leaves-Boujis-nightclub.html

Tom's latest: At 52, back to the Mission Impossible series for #5. While filming in Vienna somehow video of Tom performing his own stunts during filming were leaked to an online video site.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mission-im...s-tom-cruise-performing-daring-stunts-1462613

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
Okay. I'll go in and redo the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Morton_(writer)

FWIW: Don't know why this link comes up as it does, BUT the article on Morton is there. Look at the page that does come up, then click onto "Andrew Morton (writer) and you will get to it. Scroll down, the various reviews with live links are at the bottom of the article.

FlunkYou

Patron with Honors
Unrelated, but there's this:

[video=youtube;Pk-pOYlWTv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk-pOYlWTv8[/video]

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
We haven't heard much from Tom since the release of his summer non-blockbuster "Edge of Tomorrow". While some reviews of the film were favorable, stating it was good for its sci-fi genre, it bombed at the American box office. Now released on DVD, the name of the film has been changed to "Live, Die, Repeat".

Not sure if that is the best title.

I surveyed it amongst high-toned, theta Clears & OTs.

The #1 favorite answer was: "Audit, Donate, Repeat"

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
Phenom: The younger Connor was always kind of a chubby child, was he not? Perhaps he just has the "fat gene" in him.

From that first review link above, this was my favorite:

"However shady Scientology may be, Morton’s language in “Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography” is extreme. He and his sources compare the church and its leadership to fascists, the Roman Empire, storm troopers, Machiavelli, Orwell’s “Animal Farm,” Napoleon, Stalinists and North Korea. He also repeatedly invokes Nazism, and quotes without censure the German Protestant Church’s comparison of Cruise to Joseph Goebbels.
Even if everything Morton says about Scientologists were true — that they make certain members have abortions, that they run around with Uzis and boxes of cash, that they threaten recruiters with torture if they don’t land celebrities — it doesn’t out-corrupt, say, the early Mormon Church as depicted in Fawn Brodie’s “No Man Knows My History.” And unlike “Tom Cruise,” that book managed to make its subject, Joseph Smith, seem three-dimensional even as it eviscerated his faith."

Oh, how naïve were the reviewers in those days! Morton had it oh so correct.

I'm glad I never read any of the reviews. I had picked the book up for a dollar in a thrift store. And even knowing zilch about Cof$, it rang true to me.

-----------------------

Off topic, but: Fawn Brodie has written some fabulous books! I just finished her "Jefferson", where she documents the whole Sallie Hemings relationship.

Leland

Crusader
Katie has moved back to California. Suri will be closer to her father & the Scilon vultures he hangs with. She'll be neighbors with Kourtney Kardashian.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/08/inside_katie_holmes_and_suris_new_mcmansion_in_calabasas.php

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/22/katie-holmes-moving-suri-cruise-california-home-nyc

WOW.....

I guess Suri will be a Valley Girl........:p ( Seriously, I hope she's old enough to cope with the Scientology thing a bit better....and I wish her the best.)

as sung by Moon Unit Zappa.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb21lsCQ3EM

Leland

Crusader
I clicked this pic out of a Bazaar magazine.....this week...

It is Nicole Kidman....in a Jimmy Choo ad.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
Phenom: The younger Connor was always kind of a chubby child, was he not? Perhaps he just has the "fat gene" in him.

From that first review link above, this was my favorite:

"However shady Scientology may be, Morton’s language in “Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography” is extreme. He and his sources compare the church and its leadership to fascists, the Roman Empire, storm troopers, Machiavelli, Orwell’s “Animal Farm,” Napoleon, Stalinists and North Korea. He also repeatedly invokes Nazism, and quotes without censure the German Protestant Church’s comparison of Cruise to Joseph Goebbels.
Even if everything Morton says about Scientologists were true — that they make certain members have abortions, that they run around with Uzis and boxes of cash, that they threaten recruiters with torture if they don’t land celebrities — it doesn’t out-corrupt, say, the early Mormon Church as depicted in Fawn Brodie’s “No Man Knows My History.” And unlike “Tom Cruise,” that book managed to make its subject, Joseph Smith, seem three-dimensional even as it eviscerated his faith."

Oh, how naïve were the reviewers in those days! Morton had it oh so correct.

I'm glad I never read any of the reviews. I had picked the book up for a dollar in a thrift store. And even knowing zilch about Cof$, it rang true to me.

-----------------------

Off topic, but: Fawn Brodie has written some fabulous books! I just finished her "Jefferson", where she documents the whole Sallie Hemings relationship.

Fawn Brodie's "No man knows my history" is amazing, it was a groundbreaking book on the real history of the mormon religion and to this day the mormon church hates the book - even though it's sources are near impeccable. The author is a real academic researcher.

Oddly enough I ONLY picked up the Tom Cruise bio because of the Scientology reporting in it. I had zero interest in Tom himself, but was plenty interested in the cult and had been since the late 90's. Almost everything related to the cult in the book I had read descriptions of elsewhere, or had heard similar tales, so I thought all his reporting on the cult was pretty accurate. As for the Tom Cruise celebrity stuff, I have no clue. (I admit I even skipped the entire first part of the book about Tom's childhood because all I cared about was getting to the point of his involvement with the cult and then reading about that.)

It was one of the first books in a long time to tackle scientology in it's present day incarnation. (Lot's of great books about pre-1980 Scientology, but for a good book on Scientology in the past 20 years you were pretty hard up for choices in early 2008 ..and then the floodgates they opened and boy did some ex-SO make up for all that lost time!!

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
That guy is amazing! He can play Tom in the movie "The Actor, The Cult And The Little Dictator" lol