Tom Cruise did not see Scientology estranged stepdad "for some time" before his death

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Tom Cruise did not see Scientology estranged stepdad "for some time" before his death.

Irish Times: Tom Cruise's stepdad hadn't seen the star for some time before his death

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/celebrity-news/tom-cruises-stepdad-hadnt-seen-6304885

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Tom Cruise might be promoting his latest action hit around the world, but it seems like his tight schedule made it impossible for the star to attend his stepdad's funeral. That's how it appears to fans of the 53-year-old, who apparently hadn't seen John South, who was 89, for some time before his death from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease last month.

The diminutive star once described John, who helped launch his lengthy big screen career, as a “wise and smart man”. But when it came to the final farewell for the man who was married to his mum Mary Lee Pfeiffer for 32 years before their 2012 divorce, Tom was nowhere to be seen.

John, who died on July 25, told The Sun on Sunday that he'd not seen Tom for "a while" when he was admitted to hospital on July 3.

The Jack Reacher star, who recently received a hero's welcome on a Japanese publicity tour , and his 78-year-old mum both skipped the funeral, but John seemed to accept why he hadn't seen his stepson.

“I knew him before he was Tom," he said simply, but: "It’s been a while. I’d rather not go into that because I take care of myself the best I can. I don’t want to bother him with it. I’m more concerned by my immediate family," he said.

WWII veteran John was being treated at Frances Georgeson Hospice House in Naples, Florida, but shots shared in the press showed Tom living it up at a party in Nashville, Tennessee.

Although John lived with Mary Lee for 13 years in stunning Marco Island in Florida, she turned her back on him for Scientology in 2003. The reason cited by John for their final divorce in 2010 was that the marriage was “irretrievably broken” — words used by actress Katie Holmes when she split from Cruise in 2012.

Mary Lee married John in 1978 when Tom was just 16, four years after she divorced his biological dad Thomas Mapother II, an abusive alcoholic who died a decade later.

Speaking about his death in an interview with Rolling Stone in 1986, Tom said: "He was a person who did not have a huge influence on me in my teens; the values and motivation really came from my stepfather." But the Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation star apparently involved mum Mary Lee in the religion established by L Ron Hubbard, as she's been a follower of Scientology for 12 years now.

Although Tom wasn't one of the 20 people to attend John's funeral on August 7 at Saint William Catholic Church in Naples, his image loomed as large as it did in one of his films. Pictures at the event showed John, Mary Lee and Tom together around the time of Top Gun in the 1980s.

Tom's sister Marian Henry and nephew Cal were there, but no one knows where Mary Lee was, having not been spotted since a Scientology event four months ago. Although she used to live with Tom in his Beverly Hills mega-mansion, she was reportedly moved to assisted living last December.

On his relationship with John, Tom said: "In the beginning, I felt threatened by my stepfather. There’s a part of you that’s in love with your mother. But John is such a wise, smart man. He loved my mother so much that he took us all in, four young people."

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Re: Tom Cruise did not see Scientology estranged stepdad "for some time" before his d

Radar Online now has the story.

Tom Cruise Snubbed Step-Father On His Death Bed & Skipped Funeral! The Sad Final Interview

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/tom-cruise-left-stepfather-funeral/

* * * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Tom Cruise was no hero to his stepfather, according to a new report. After getting involved with Scientology, the Mission Impossible 5 star reportedly turned his back on the man who raised him, staying away from his deathbed and even skipping his funeral!

The National ENQUIRER reports that the actor failed to visit John “Jack” South as he valiantly battled a chronic disease during the last weeks of his life. The 89-year-old World War II veteran passed away July 25 in a second-rate Florida hospice.

Astonishingly, neither Cruise – nor his mother – attended Jack’s Aug. 7 funeral!

South – once described by Cruise as a “wise, smart man” – spoke exclusively to The ENQUIRER two weeks before his death in an emotional interview during which he opened up about his world-famous stepson.

* * * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

With Pfeiffer apparently immersed in Scientology, South filed for divorce in 2010, citing irreconcilable differences.

Their divorce papers listed Pfeiffer’s address as a Scientology-owned building in Clearwater, Fla. Her occupation was “student,” suggesting she was involved in the church’s “life improvement” courses.

A financial affidavit, newly obtained by The ENQUIRER, put her total worth at $200,000, compared to the staggering $450 million estimated net worth of her superstar son.

CommunicatorIC

Re: Tom Cruise did not see Scientology estranged stepdad "for some time" before his d

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/cruel-tom-cruise-turned-his-back-dying-dad

attachment.php

Attachments

• CruelTomCruise.jpg
    CruelTomCruise.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 219

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

It's very sad & Tom Cruise is entirely to blame for the breakup & divorce of his mother to John South. I remember all the reports in early 2000 when Tom purchased his mega-mansion in Beverly Hills & ordered his entire immediate family to move to California, with their families, & to join Scientology or be disconnected from him. Hi sister, Cass, owned & operated a successful restaurant in NJ when she got the call & was coerced into giving up on her independence & dreams to join her brother in LA.

His sisters, Cass & Marian, severed their relationships with their non-Scilon partners & soon married (several times for both) Scientologist husbands. John Smith refused to follow his wife to Los Angeles. He was not interested in Scientology. He was more interested in living the laid-back life of a retiree on Marco Island & playing golf. Mary Lee dumped him to join her son in LA.

His obit even mentions Tom without calling attention to his celebrity.

C2063161_200426.jpg

John McLeod South Naples, FL

John 'Jack' McLeod South, 89, a longtime resident of Florida, New Jersey and Texas, died July 25, 2015, at the Frances Georgeson Hospice House in Naples.

Jack was born in St. Louis, MO on September. 20, 1925. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1943 to 1946 and was stationed in Guam during World War II. He graduated from Lafayette College in 1950. Jack was employed by Shell Chemical Co. for many years in New York and Houston.

In his younger years, Jack was an avid golfer and an amateur boatman. Throughout his life, he was known for his sharp wit, good humor, and sage advice that he shared with family members and friends (whether they asked for it or not). And he was loved by all.

After residing in Glen Ridge and Avon-By-TheSea, NJ, Jack and Mary Lee retired to Marco Island, FL, in the 1990s. They were members of the Island Country Club and Marco Island Yacht Club and active in the community. In 2014, Jack moved to The Carlisle in Naples, where he made many great new friends. He will be fondly remembered for introducing them to his favorite dice game, LCR (Left Center Right).

Survivors include his four children from his first marriage: Cindy of Malvern, PA, Jeff of Richmond, VA, Scott, as well as his wife, Kathy of Schenectady, NY, and Vicki of Collegeville, PA. Jack also is survived by his beloved exwife, Mary Lee. He was a father to her four children, whom he loved as his own: Lee Anne, Tom, Marian, and Cass. Survivors also include 11 grandchildren.

A funeral Mass will be celebrated Friday, August 7th, at 10:00 a.m. in Saint William Catholic Church, 601 Seagate Drive, Naples. The family will receive visitors during the halfhour before the service. A reception celebrating Jack's life will follow at noon in the Grande Room of The Carlisle, 6945 Carlisle Court, Naples

In lieu of flowers, the family asked that donations be made to one of Jack's favorite charities, the Shelter for Abused Women & Children, P.O. Box 10102, Naples FL 34101.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/naplesnews/obituary.aspx?pid=175428552

CommunicatorIC

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious

Here's an interesting detail from the article:
"A financial affidavit, newly obtained by The ENQUIRER, put her total worth at $200,000, compared to the staggering $450 million estimated net worth of her superstar son."

That kind of shows he wanted to keep her on a tight leash, and probably he'd provide for anything she needed, as long as she kept up with Scientology. She certainly wasn't going to buy a home in Beverly Hills for that. Being that much of a tightwad with his beloved mother makes me think he could very well leave the bulk of his fortune to the cult when he dies. This all pales compared to what Mrs. Duggan could leave the cult, when Bobbers strokes out from being Type A.

With Tom, it seems his devotion to family members is tied to their involvement with Scientology, which makes me think it's probable he's seething about Katie Holmes getting primary custody of Suri, and that who knows, maybe it makes him feel more distant from Suri also. She's not doing the Sciloontology, and Katie has probably vaccinated her against it by maybe giving her a little Xenu story at bedtime, "Once upon a time 75 million years ago..."

Last edited:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

Let him die.
David Miscavige

You do that [STRIKE]David Miscavige Junior[/STRIKE] Tom Cruise, you do that.

JustSheila

Crusader

Here's an interesting detail from the article:
"A financial affidavit, newly obtained by The ENQUIRER, put her total worth at $200,000, compared to the staggering $450 million estimated net worth of her superstar son."

That kind of shows he wanted to keep her on a tight leash, and probably he'd provide for anything she needed, as long as she kept up with Scientology. She certainly wasn't going to buy a home in Beverly Hills for that. Being that much of a tightwad with his beloved mother makes me think he could very well leave the bulk of his fortune to the cult when he dies. This all pales compared to what Mrs. Duggan could leave the cult, when Bobbers strokes out from being Type A.

With Tom, it seems his devotion to family members is tied to their involvement with Scientology, which makes me think it's probable he's seething about Katie Holmes getting primary custody of Suri, and that who knows, maybe it makes him feel more distant from Suri also. She's not doing the Sciloontology, and Katie has probably vaccinated her against it by maybe giving her a little Xenu story at bedtime, "Once upon a time 75 million years ago..."

Nice catch, Boson Wog. :thumbsup: I agree with all the above. It seems to me Tom Cruise is a real control freak.

However, I think it's far more likely the cult dies a long, long time before Tom Cruise kicks the bucket. And by the time he does, he'll have so many plastic surgeries, he'll have rolls and rolls of skin behind his ears. No doubt Tom Cruise believes he'll beat death, too. What if he's got a cryogenic crypt? Nobody will inherit anything. Not one thin dime for his church. :giggle: