What's new

Tom Cruise: New $100 Mil Film Has No US Premiere

Truth&Honesty

Patron with Honors
Roger Friedman has a new article out on Scientology's poster boy:

Here's a sample......

Tom Cruise is in the pr fight of his life.

To try and ensure that “Knight and Day,” his $100 million movie with Cameron Diaz, gets a decent launch, Fox is not having a US premiere. That’s right–no big gala in New York or Los Angeles. And aside from long-lead magazine screenings, critics may have to see the film at sneak showings this weekend.

Instead, the “Knight and Day” premiere takes place today in…Seville, Spain. Hello? Seville is not exactly either Madrid or Barcelona. Or even London. But the idea is to keep Cruise away from the American press long enough to give “Knight and Day” a successful send off in Europe. That’s because Cruise’s nutty behavior, the Scientology stuff, Oprah couch jumping, and glassy eyed Katie Holmes are not an issue in places where people don’t speak English.

“Knight and Day” has its all media screenings tomorrow night, with journalists instructed to hold off on reviews until next week when the film opens. (We’ll see how well that works.) In the meantime, those who’ve seen it have told me it’s enjoyable but not substantial. It’s basically a travelogue for two smiling Hollywood stars. (We’ll see how well that works, too.)

The Cruise machine has already revved up by using the Les Grossman character from “Tropic Thunder,” perhaps overdoing it. No one in their right mind expects there to be a feature movie about that obnoxious and off putting character. Perhaps the best Cruise got out of it was on the MTV Video Awards, dancing with Jennifer Lopez. Hopefully, someone will explain to him that more is more, and leave it at that........

For complete story.....go to website:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2010/06/16/tom-cruise-new-100-mil-film-has-no-us-premiere

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Interesting. Cameron Diaz is kinda yesterdays lady too. Certainly not top rank Hollywood anymore.

Cattack

Patron
"The Cruise machine has already revved up by using the Les Grossman character from “Tropic Thunder,” perhaps overdoing it. No one in their right mind expects there to be a feature movie about that obnoxious and off putting character."

I loved Tropic Thunder and I think with Ben Stiller writing (and directing?) it could be pretty funny. So I respectfully disagree. Tom does need to wake the fuck up but it's stupid for us to be so hardened in our perceptions that if
Tom does something funny we deny it. That, in my opinion, makes us look like a bunch of curmudgeons.

"obnoxious and off putting character"? I'm not a comedy aficionado but I think there have been some successful comedic characters that have had those criteria featured as part of their persona.

I fear some of us critics are too quick to generalize and start thinking in "black hat"/"white hat" style.

Something similar to, "Tom Cruise supports David Miscavige therefore everything he does is bad in someway."

Is that really true?

I understand where you're coming from but let's not get carried away.

Before we know it we'll be saying something like, "Doesn't he walk stupid too!? Plus when he blinks I can just tell he's an asshole."

We don't need criticism at this level to be effective. It can make us look bad.

Ulf K. Maier

Patron Meritorious
IMO...

"The Cruise machine has already revved up by using the Les Grossman character from “Tropic Thunder,” perhaps overdoing it. No one in their right mind expects there to be a feature movie about that obnoxious and off putting character."

I loved Tropic Thunder and I think with Ben Stiller writing (and directing?) it could be pretty funny. So I respectfully disagree. Tom does need to wake the fuck up but it's stupid for us to be so hardened in our perceptions that if
Tom does something funny we deny it. That, in my opinion, makes us look like a bunch of curmudgeons.

"obnoxious and off putting character"? I'm not a comedy aficionado but I think there have been some successful comedic characters that have had those criteria featured as part of their persona.

I fear some of us critics are too quick to generalize and start thinking in "black hat"/"white hat" style.

Something similar to, "Tom Cruise supports David Miscavige therefore everything he does is bad in someway."

Is that really true?

I understand where you're coming from but let's not get carried away.

Before we know it we'll be saying something like, "Doesn't he walk stupid too!? Plus when he blinks I can just tell he's an asshole."

We don't need criticism at this level to be effective. It can make us look bad.

I liked TC in "Collateral". He played an amoral assassin really, really well.

Sassy

Patron Meritorious
I will probably pay to see the film. I believe he will wake from his Scio-coma sooner than later & ditch the whole thing, including his two-time best man. I think it's been long enough since the couch-jumping fiasco & his big mouth flapping about post-partum depression that the public has forgotten. Won't be a blockbuster but it'll probably hold it's own.

Last edited by a moderator:

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I liked TC in "Collateral". He played an amoral assassin really, really well.

What's actually bothered me about various Scn actors is that they tend to be getting only the anti-social parts of late. I mentioned Jason Dohring in another thread. Look at Giovanni Ribisi's role in Avatar for another.

Do they think this reflects well on their faith?

Cattack

Patron
Seems somewhat unfair about Cruise directly....but the movie looks pretty bad.

Understood. Did you like Tropic Thunder? Surprisingly, I really did. Many people didn't. On the one hand I hope the Les Grossman movie is successful and on the other I fear it may promote the church indirectly so I'm a little torn. But I think no matter how funny it may or may not be, the church is a ghost rattling it's last piece of chain while having mic'd hidden speakers in the bushes and a past due electricity bill.

Time is on our side.

Yes it is.

Miss Penguin

Patron with Honors
I actually enjoy Tom Cruise's movies. I'm not a fan of his bromance with David Miscavige, but I enjoy his work. Knight and Day looked entertaining and I'll be seeing it.

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Understood. Did you like Tropic Thunder? Surprisingly, I really did. Many people didn't.

I liked it, and the only reason I saw it in theatres was that Cruise didn't have a major part. I don't go to movies (or buy them) if they have a Scn in top billing.

Roger Friedman has a new article out on Scientology's poster boy:

Here's a sample......

Tom Cruise is in the pr fight of his life.

To try and ensure that “Knight and Day,” his $100 million movie with Cameron Diaz, gets a decent launch, Fox is not having a US premiere. That’s right–no big gala in New York or Los Angeles. And aside from long-lead magazine screenings, critics may have to see the film at sneak showings this weekend.

Instead, the “Knight and Day” premiere takes place today in…Seville, Spain. Hello? Seville is not exactly either Madrid or Barcelona. Or even London. But the idea is to keep Cruise away from the American press long enough to give “Knight and Day” a successful send off in Europe. That’s because Cruise’s nutty behavior, the Scientology stuff, Oprah couch jumping, and glassy eyed Katie Holmes are not an issue in places where people don’t speak English.

“Knight and Day” has its all media screenings tomorrow night, with journalists instructed to hold off on reviews until next week when the film opens. (We’ll see how well that works.) In the meantime, those who’ve seen it have told me it’s enjoyable but not substantial. It’s basically a travelogue for two smiling Hollywood stars. (We’ll see how well that works, too.)

The Cruise machine has already revved up by using the Les Grossman character from “Tropic Thunder,” perhaps overdoing it. No one in their right mind expects there to be a feature movie about that obnoxious and off putting character. Perhaps the best Cruise got out of it was on the MTV Video Awards, dancing with Jennifer Lopez. Hopefully, someone will explain to him that more is more, and leave it at that........

For complete story.....go to website:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2010/06/16/tom-cruise-new-100-mil-film-has-no-us-premiere

Never liked Tom Cruise except for Risky Business. It's just opinion, Scientology or no Scientology. Won't see this movie. Have no desire. And it's funny when TC in conversation the first place most seem to go is how nutty he is. Regardless of everything, TC's reputation is very damaged and have a hard time taking him seriously.

JBTrendy

Patron with Honors
Tom Cruise in France

Dear TH,

Thanks for the news and I just wanted to tell you that in France where we're not known as very good in English we are pretty briefed on what is happening in the US especially when it has to see with celebrities that we can laugh about.

Tom Cruise coach episode was very well covered here and he lost a lot of his prestige after that. I don't know how it was received in other European countries but I guess pretty much the same.

His dance with Jennifer Lopez was much better considered and I guess that through this performance he out-created some of the bad effects of the coach thing.

Anyway Scientology has never been perceived positically over here and to see big Hollywood stars supporting it has very much worked as an anti-button so far due to cultural gap.

:coolwink::coolwink::coolwink:

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Understood. Did you like Tropic Thunder? Surprisingly, I really did. Many people didn't. On the one hand I hope the Les Grossman movie is successful and on the other I fear it may promote the church indirectly so I'm a little torn. But I think no matter how funny it may or may not be, the church is a ghost rattling it's last piece of chain while having mic'd hidden speakers in the bushes and a past due electricity bill.

Time is on our side.

Yes it is.

I thought it was terrible.
Just to clarify, I can't watch any TC movies anymore because all i can think about is Scientology and wtf he's still in it.

well_that_sucked

Patron with Honors
2010mk3.jpg

Terril park

Sponsor
Never liked Tom Cruise except for Risky Business. It's just opinion, Scientology or no Scientology. Won't see this movie. Have no desire. And it's funny when TC in conversation the first place most seem to go is how nutty he is. Regardless of everything, TC's reputation is very damaged and have a hard time taking him seriously.

I still think Risky Business was his best movie. The script was brilliant. :)

KissMyStats

Patron with Honors
I have enjoyed almost all of TC's movies so might give this one a chance. I'm not a big Sean Penn or Maddona fan (as far as their personal lives or beliefs) but I love his movies and her music.

Although, if I think about his IAS event Medal of Freedom Valor and All Things Spectacular speech long enough I might be too sick to go. :whistling: