What's new

Tom Cruise: New $100 Mil Film Has No US Premiere

ULRC/S

Patron with Honors
By far the best TC movie, IMO, is "The Last Samuri".

He honours the Japanese warrior Budo tradition, and we have watched it at least 4 times now.

Regards, Allen

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
2010mk3.jpg

'nuff said. I do not and will not support him by paying to watch his movies.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I am not a huge pro or anti fan of Cruise the actor. There have been movies of his I enjoyed - Last Samurai, Top Gun, Mission Impossible (the first one) A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire and ones where I thought he just did not have the talent - Eyes Wide Shut, Minority Report, Interview with the Vampire and then ones that I thought he just sucked mightily War of the Worlds, Born on the 4th July, The Firm, Far and Away.

That makes him an actor I do not bother to go and see in a movie just because he is in it. I don't avoid them because of that either he just has not that much appeal for me.

IN contrast to that I usually will add a Travolta movie to my Netflix queue whether the reviews have been good or bad because, generally, I have enjoyed his movies.

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
Cruise movies

I liked 'War of the Worlds', but I think he always plays the same kind of guy in his films and considering that he must be nearly 50 now his time as the 'boy next door' or 'sexy young guy' are soon over and he will have to learn to act other character-roles
He is pretty small in stature and is not ageing well, I find.
Tom Cruise's best days are over and he will probably live off what he has done so far and his celebrity status until he is old.
He will probaby never want to be connected to $cientology again, as it has harmed his image and if he is getting profi advice he will learn to keep his mouth shut.
I would, however, love it if he did further promote the cult and speak out as he has done in the past, as it gives us more to laugh about.:happydance:

pollywannacracker

Patron Meritorious
I liked 'War of the Worlds', but I think he always plays the same kind of guy in his films and considering that he must be nearly 50 now his time as the 'boy next door' or 'sexy young guy' are soon over and he will have to learn to act other character-roles
Tom Cruise's best days are over and he will probably live off what he has done so far and his celebrity status until he is old.
He will probaby never want to be connected to $cientology again, as it has harmed his image and if he is getting profi advice he will learn to keep his mouth shut.
I would, however, love it if he did further promote the cult and speak out as he has done in the past, as it gives us more to laugh about.:happydance:

It's his Scn moments that have me rolling!

I find that his range of characters is very limited. The few times that I have seen his films that don't stay in the same character range, I kinda felt that he needed to become more "true" to the character.

Unfortunately, I think that his best portrayals are the characters that may be more like his natural personality, so he doesn't stray far from course. This is definately been exhibited during his interviews where he talks up scn. So, nah, won't be seeing this film either.

-PWC

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
"The Cruise machine has already revved up by using the Les Grossman character from “Tropic Thunder,” perhaps overdoing it. No one in their right mind expects there to be a feature movie about that obnoxious and off putting character."

I loved Tropic Thunder and I think with Ben Stiller writing (and directing?) it could be pretty funny. So I respectfully disagree. Tom does need to wake the fuck up but it's stupid for us to be so hardened in our perceptions that if
Tom does something funny we deny it. That, in my opinion, makes us look like a bunch of curmudgeons.

"obnoxious and off putting character"? I'm not a comedy aficionado but I think there have been some successful comedic characters that have had those criteria featured as part of their persona.

I fear some of us critics are too quick to generalize and start thinking in "black hat"/"white hat" style.

Something similar to, "Tom Cruise supports David Miscavige therefore everything he does is bad in someway."

Is that really true?

I understand where you're coming from but let's not get carried away.

Before we know it we'll be saying something like, "Doesn't he walk stupid too!? Plus when he blinks I can just tell he's an asshole."

We don't need criticism at this level to be effective. It can make us look bad.

Who is this 'we' and 'us'?

Isn’t tarring everyone with the same brush rather at odds with the point you are making?

Like many others here I have enjoyed several of TC’s movies. Some parts he is very good in, others not so – especially those that require him to play a character that isn’t him.

I have never been one to bash someone for being a Scientologist, but I reserve the right to criticise them for supporting a regime that is clearing abusing people’s human rights and ironically the antithesis of what they say they are supporting.

Axiom142

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
I have never been one to bash someone for being a Scientologist, but I reserve the right to criticise them for supporting a regime that is clearing abusing people’s human rights and ironically the antithesis of what they say they are supporting.
Axiom142

Exactly!

Cruise gives mega millions to his buddy COB so that it can be (knowingly or unknowingly) used to coverup the beatings and human rights atrocities.

Then Cruise gives even more so that when the victim has enough inner-strength to escape they are hunted down like an animal with BlowDrills.

Then Cruise gives even more so that when the victim has recovered enough from the abuse to begin to blow the whistle, COB can hire teams of OSA and PI's to fair game them and destroy them utterly.

Cruise was given notice of this by his attorney and other advisors. And he can read (newspapers, internet, books...)

Cruise said "I just don't believe it." Wait! Wait....

The jury has just come out, hang on a second.....

JURY FOREMAN

We the jury find the defendant, Tom Cruise, GUILTY as charged. Further we found his arrogant, self-serving support of evil to be both repugnant and inexcusable. We find that he is complicit in the beatings, stalkings and criminal operations against people who don't like being beaten, lied to and enslaved. We find Tom Cruise to be no different than David Miscavich and recommend that all people of good conscience resist and combat his evil with any legal or moral means available.​

fortymarriedandbalding

Patron with Honors
Tom Cruise is one of several actors who almost always irritates me. THis was the case long before I knew of his Scientology links.

The only thing I liked him in was Taps. Interestinly, the character he played, with his blind devotion to the cause of his group, it much how he is now as a scientologist.

Kerry

Patron with Honors
I thought Tom was superb in Magnolia. The scenes where he's being "interrogated"/interviewed were pretty flawless if you ask me. Other than Magnolia, and Collateral for his acting like a sociopath perfectly, I don't think he's more than a merely ok/competent actor. And maybe Magnolia and Collateral were great because they required him to be like Miscavige. Who knows.

I won't support a film where CoS will benefit in any way, and until Hollywood as a whole gets the nerve to quit denying that corporate Scientology is a recruiting ground for its own interests, I won't go to any movies or watch any TV programs with CoS Scientologists in them.

Hard on the rest of the innocent crew (wait... ARE they so innocent....?) but that's where I'm at. I don't think they are so innocent - I think they have the choice to say No, and they shouldn't have to but I wish they would: take a significant personal stand against human rights abuses - collectively they have the power to do this. Scientologists who blow are putting their eternity at risk; why can't actors at least put some bucks on the line. After all, there are other movies to audition for.

Gee Tom and Davey, why so dour/angry-young-man looking? Who did you think your audience would be? HA, Miscavige's cycle has the ultimate spaceship front to it. Imagine these two men in government. I'm sure that's where they're imagining themselves. Or were...

Does anyone believe/know that Cruise knows about the abuses?

nosciento

Patron
Tom - Wake Up!

Boy, I knew one of his sister's when studying @ CCNY. They are a great and loving family. I am torn for I no longer wish to see a TC film until he deals with the DM connection. Like you all, I've heard his lawyer is privvy to all...and yet TC remains shielded. Is there not someone around this guy who can show him how to type: "Google," "Scientology," "Wikipedia," and let him follow the links? I believe the COS/DM used him and will drag him down to the lower depths..perhaps never to emerge. TC is a talent but he better wake up or nobody will remember that...They'll just remember the Scn connection:(

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
See, this is a perfect opportunity to stay over at a multiplex after paying for another movie -- if you really want to see it, that is. That's how I saw Tropic Thunder. I won't add to revenues of films where Scns get high billing.

rhansrider

Patron with Honors
From The New York Magazine:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/06/tom_cruise_knight_and_day.html

Fox Struggles to Overcome the Tom Cruise Problem with Knight and Day

How to save Knight and Day? The film, which by many accounts is a perfectly entertaining summer action blockbuster, is tracking miserably as it heads into its first week, and Fox is scrambling to do all it can to pump up its initial grosses: Earlier this month it pushed the film's opening date up from Friday, June 25th to Wednesday, June 23rd, hoping to accumulate some good, uncontested word of mouth before heading into a weekend battle against Adam Sandlers's Grown Ups. And then the studio decided to show sneak previews of the film in 500 theaters this Saturday night to work up even more buzz. All of this is in the hope that the quality of the film can overcome what looks like one of the film's biggest handicaps: its star, Tom Cruise.

While having one of the most well-known movie stars in the world is certainly an asset, when it's Cruise, it's also a liability. E-Poll Market Research data shows that while 88% of audiences recognize his name and 83% his face, his favorability rating is now just 37%. That's a huge dip from 2004, when 64% of Americans found him likable; that was one year before his devastating War of the Worlds "wait, is he crazy?" publicity tour. Whether consciously or not, with its marketing campaign Fox has articulated the mixed feelings of any studio advertising a Tom Cruise movie: The K&D poster has CRUISE and DIAZ in big letters, but never shows the actors's faces. Instead, there are just white silhouettes of two running, pistol-packing figures. It's as if Fox is graphically saying, "We've got Tom Cruise! But on second thought, maybe best not to brag about that…"

The recent tracking data shared with Vulture by one studio source shows that only 31% of those polled expressed "definite interest" in seeing K&D. For context, the similarly-themed (and terrible) Fox film Killers scored two points higher at this point, while Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which also has the same feel, polled 48%. Worse, awareness of the Cruise/Diaz film is stuck at 72%. Privately, even a Fox insider admits that “at those numbers, we can’t open the movie right now. Hopefully, they’ll change in the next few days.”

K&D's other looming problem is it has no wiggle room. Toy Story 3 is going to be a powerhouse this weekend, and its second-week gross will almost surely be at least $50 million, further cutting into the Cruise/Diaz opening. And on top of that competition, there's Grown Ups. The difference in awareness and interest in the two comedies is, well, night and day: Fully 81% of those surveyed were aware of Grown Ups (compared to 72% for Cruise's film), and 41% cited "definite interest," ten points higher than K&D. And if Cruise manages to crawl through that week, beaten but still breathing, what does he face the next week? Twilight: Eclipse. That ain't good.

What’s sad about the impending mess is that by all accounts, the buzz on K&D is quite good: It’s directed by James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma, Walk the Line); Diaz comes off ditzy-but-charming; Cruise is deadly, funny and winsome - finally, the guy we’d want to know, or at least spend a couple hours with. And internationally, Cruise remains a huge star. It's not like Fox wasn't aware of the cons of hiring Cruise for a $125 million film, which makes its no-room-for-error scheduling amidst such heavy-hitters all the more perplexing. So unless Twitter lights up with "f.u. team edward, see #knightandday" this week, Fox is more likely to have a Cruise bomb instead of its hoped for Cruise missile.

Lavalyte

Patron with Honors

As a friend of my wife describes Tom Cruise movies, "A little man who runs a lot".

J. Swift

Patron with Honors
Cruise helps to pay for DM's $650 a day PI's that follow and harass people. Cruise helps to fund Fair Game, Disconnection, and forced abortions. I have boycotted Tom Cruise films for years for this reason. I look at Cruise and see him wedded to DM and DM's reign of terror. The leaked "Go to Guns" video is what Culture sees when it thinks of Tom Cruise. That video was toxic.

K&D will probably fare well overseas and with rentals. I don't see why it wont do >$75 million in the US. Based on Valkyrie's numbers and Diaz's appeal K&D should do~$225 million gross.

Cameron Diaz is as much of a draw as Cruz in K&D's attempt to pull off a Bogie-Hepburn film. I actually would have added a scene in the trailer of K&D where Les Grossman audits Diaz's character just to show Tom having some fun at Scientology's expense. That kind of mea culpa would be an instant media sensation.

Below are the numbers for Valkyrie, a film that has grossed ~$225 million. With a production budget of $75 million, that is $150 million profit. Any studio would take that deal.

Theatrical Performance
Total US Gross $83,077,470
International Gross $115,609,027
Worldwide Gross $198,686,497
Home Market Performance
US DVD Sales: $26,618,686
May 19, 2009 (DVD Sale)
Production Budget $75,000,000

altruistichedonist

Patron with Honors
[/I]
Exactly!

JURY FOREMAN

We the jury find the defendant, Tom Cruise, GUILTY as charged. Further we found his arrogant, self-serving support of evil to be both repugnant and inexcusable. We find that he is complicit in the beatings, stalkings and criminal operations against people who don't like being beaten, lied to and enslaved. We find Tom Cruise to be no different than David Miscavich and recommend that all people of good conscience resist and combat his evil with any legal or moral means available.​

Exactly!

Until he recants.

Tom Cruise = The dupe who became the valence of David Miscavige.
Tom Cruise = a decent person turned into an egomaniac.
Tom Cruise = someone who may awaken and see who he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkpcRMP8Bdo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B18QfIJSZpE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uoUAxgotaA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZhETsqq_QE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP-JC7Xh0N8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2fJJ3p0bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxFBPNEGryU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLjC4OTOmE

Last edited:

Spirited

Patron with Honors
I actually enjoy Tom Cruise's movies. I'm not a fan of his bromance with David Miscavige, but I enjoy his work. Knight and Day looked entertaining and I'll be seeing it.
what she said:)

I watched the mission impossible movies again recently and enjoyed them.
I liked jerry mcquire, magnolia, the last samarai, vanilla sky, risky business and a whole string of his movies. I'm not going to bag his work as an actor because of scientology. hes a good actor and makes good movies.
I'll be seeing knight and day too. I like his work.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I wouldn't be willing to sit through a film with Tom Cruise in it, quite apart from the scientology connection I also think he is a crap actor, one dimensional and too intense ... I felt like that about him prior to becoming an ex.

:no: