What's new

Tom Cruise Reacts to Lawrence Wright's Book/New York Post

Xenu's Boyfriend

Silver Meritorious Patron
It's real, real, easy to be in denial about something. I went thru a major medical episode recently, and spent about 3 weeks in the hospital earlier this month on 3 separate admissions. It sucked. I hate hospitals. First the operation, next the post op pain, and finally re admission for possible internal bleeding. BUT ... all thru December I had all the classic symptoms and pains. I could have saved myself a great deal of grief, pain, danger, etc. But I would have had to have paid attention, instead of being in denial and blowing off all the warning signs that I had. Why did I do that? I hate doctors, I hate exams, I hate having to deal with anything medical, etc. It's too easy to tell yourself that a persistent pain is just an occaisional twinge and means nothing.

I suspect that TC isn't deep down evil, just in extreme denial. He would have to have his face really rubbed in the shit before he would wake up and understand wtf is really going on and how he has been being used.

Pete

I'm sorry you weren't well, and I really hope you are better. I can relate to your story. But your denial is different than Cruise's because your denial effected you (and the people that love you.) It's not like the person who pulls down the shade and turns on the radio because they don't want to see the Jews being loaded into trucks on the streets in Nazi, Germany and hear the crying of children being separated from their parents. There is a kind of denial that is almost as evil as what is being perpetrated.

I'm curious, did you read the Vanity Fair article? If you believe the stories there are true, Cruise is much more responsible for abuses in the church than someone who just "doesn't know." In fact, there was one story I read, but I can't remember where, where he called a meeting of Scientology's elite to inspire them and later informed DM's office - because he felt he "had to do something" and DM was supposedly impressed and pleased. When Cruise is motivated, things happen. No matter what I think of him, he is powerful.

I think you make my point in that it is really hard for some of us to believe that he knows about each and every abuse and has just decided, "they wouldn't be (or have been) in that situation (Yaeger, Cook, Jentzch, Rinder, and others in the Hole) if they hadn't "pulled it in"?

My question is: Does that include abuses to children like Jenna Miscavige Hill? In the end, if you swallow LRH's philosophy without criticism and analysis, as I think Cruise probably does (he seems like a very black and white thinker - you're either IN or your OUT) then there are no such thing as kids in Hubbardland anyway, so how can their be child abuse?

I think a lot of us are going to have to rethink the person we thought Tom Cruise was. Otherwise we are enabling him, enabling DM. At this point, my argument is, if you support TC, on some level you are supporting DM, because that is where his focus is.

Jquepublic

LOL - wut? The book makes NO claim that Kidman participated in the "search for her successor". So anything else that is said by this tool is also suspect as being completely divorced from fact. <snip>

I read it to mean that the Church claims Kidman took part in the search for her successor - you know, helped recruit a replacement before she left post! :biggrin:

TG1

Angelic Poster
Not to derail, but ...

Every time Nicole Kidman does well in a film and gets nominated by her industry colleages for an acting award, I want to pump my fist!

Since she and Midget #2 divorced, she has rapidly outpaced him in terms of award nominations and wins:

Kidman's nominations and wins at http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000173/awards

Cruise's nominations and wins at http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/awards

From my perspective, that's the best revenge of all. :)

TG1

Xenu's Boyfriend

I read it to mean that the Church claims Kidman took part in the search for her successor - you know, helped recruit a replacement before she left post! :biggrin:

I wondered about that. Any idiot can see that Nicole ran like hell from the church....otherwise if she had been that involved, they would have let her see her kids.

Anonycat

Crusader
I think the lesson Bert is trying to instill, is that everyone who stops taking scientology classes is bitter. Every. Last. One. And, that topic bores him.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's real, real, easy to be in denial about something. I went thru a major medical episode recently, and spent about 3 weeks in the hospital earlier this month on 3 separate admissions. It sucked. I hate hospitals. First the operation, next the post op pain, and finally re admission for possible internal bleeding. BUT ... all thru December I had all the classic symptoms and pains. I could have saved myself a great deal of grief, pain, danger, etc. But I would have had to have paid attention, instead of being in denial and blowing off all the warning signs that I had. Why did I do that? I hate doctors, I hate exams, I hate having to deal with anything medical, etc. It's too easy to tell yourself that a persistent pain is just an occaisional twinge and means nothing.

I suspect that TC isn't deep down evil, just in extreme denial. He would have to have his face really rubbed in the shit before he would wake up and understand wtf is really going on and how he has been being used.

Pete

Anyone know where Pete is? How to contact him? Pete, Pete, phone home . . .

exccc

Patron with Honors
This is a very interesting discussion. Is it OK for me to admit I'm not completely sure which side of the TC fence I sit on?

Having been at CCI, I know the kind of cocoon the guy is in, except his is much greater than even Travolta's and the like. TC does all his services at Happy Valley, right? Not even CC public.

I'm SURE he didn't read the book. I'm sure he hears little of what is common knowledge amongst us (eg. DM beating the staff). And what little bit he does hear he ignores as enemy line BS.

On the other hand, as LRH taught me, TC is responsible for his actions. He does flow power to DM and that is an overt.

But this isn't that unusual. It has been very often the case that the victims become the victimizers.

Yeah, he gets special privileges that he should be aware of... You know what? I'm sure he is. I'm sure he knows other Scientologists, even celebs, don't get their car remodeled or daisies planted for them. That's just the Hollywood mindset. I think everywhere he goes, in and out of Scientology, he's treated that way. Why would he think anything is amiss here?

In short (no pun intended), I'm sure he is both a nice guy and a fool. A powerful Hollywood player and a DM lackey. There's no reason both sides can't be true.

(For the record, I haven't seen a TC movie in decades and don't plan to, so I'm not a fan.)

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Bert Fields DID NOT read "Going Clear" by Lawrence Wright - I guarantee you!! If he had - and he was half human and had any conscious (oh, yeah...I forgot - he IS a lawyer :duh:) - he would have dumped Tom Cruise and his money.

Lawrence Wright is very credible - not a "bitter defrocked apostate" has no axe to grind and is well versed! He documented his book very well. There is no denying that the information in his book "Going Clear" is absolutely TRUE! Scientology is an evil cult that destroys lives! The problem Bert Fields has - is that he does what Cruise tells him to do. And Tom Cruise does what David Miscavige tells him to do. David Miscavige instructs Tom Cruise to NOT READ any entheta about Scientology - it is dangerous and could KILL HIM! :nervous::omg: And...It could. If Tom Cruise ever really found out how he was hoodwinked by Miscavige - sold a "bill of goods" and was bamboozled beyond belief - Cruise could die!

I guaranty you that Tom Cruise does not read any "entheta" and if his attorney did read the book and made this statement posted here, you can apply this piece of LRH tech to the situation: - "criminal minds think alike" !

This is a very interesting discussion. Is it OK for me to admit I'm not completely sure which side of the TC fence I sit on?

Having been at CCI, I know the kind of cocoon the guy is in, except his is much greater than even Travolta's and the like. TC does all his services at Happy Valley, right? Not even CC public.

I'm SURE he didn't read the book. I'm sure he hears little of what is common knowledge amongst us (eg. DM beating the staff). And what little bit he does hear he ignores as enemy line BS.

On the other hand, as LRH taught me, TC is responsible for his actions. He does flow power to DM and that is an overt.

But this isn't that unusual. It has been very often the case that the victims become the victimizers.

Yeah, he gets special privileges that he should be aware of... You know what? I'm sure he is. I'm sure he knows other Scientologists, even celebs, don't get their car remodeled or daisies planted for them. That's just the Hollywood mindset. I think everywhere he goes, in and out of Scientology, he's treated that way. Why would he think anything is amiss here?

In short (no pun intended), I'm sure he is both a nice guy and a fool. A powerful Hollywood player and a DM lackey. There's no reason both sides can't be true.

(For the record, I haven't seen a TC movie in decades and don't plan to, so I'm not a fan.)

actually back in the day neither ron nor the church were doing such shameless exploitation of celebrities and there were more and better artists getting auditing and training

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
You guys know that notorious ex-asbestos defense attorney Earle C Cooley who became lead attorney for $cientology admitted in RTC vs Lerma that he was a $cientologist.

I find that Mr. Bert Fields smells much like a clam to me...