Tom Cruise vs. Life & Style: Suri Mental State Probed in $50 Mil Lawsuit

leina

Patron
Bauer Media demands visitation schedules, divorce terms and Cruise's role in Scientology, while the actor seeks magazine sources and evidence of its "history of bigotry. Here are some of the things that Bauer Media, represented by attorney Alonzo Wickers, is seeking:

• The extent to which Cruise was in contact with Suri following his separation and divorce from Katie Holmes.
  • The expectations for Cruise's contact and visitation schedule with Suri and the terms of the divorce agreement.
  • The role that Cruise's membership in the Church of Scientology played in his decisions regarding his visitation and communication with Suri.
  • Suri's mental and emotional state following the separation and divorce.
  • Cruise's claim and litigation history.
On that last point, at the time of the filing, Cruise lawyer Bert Fields said: "Tom doesn't go around suing people. He's not a litigious guy. But when these sleaze peddlers try to make money with disgusting lies about his relationship with his child, you bet he's going to sue."
Bauer also is seeking to depose Aaron Moss, another of Cruise's lawyers, which the attorney is resisting.
Not to be outdone, Cruise has his own discovery demands. Some of the things the plaintiff is seeking:

• The identity of the magazine's sources and communications with those sources.
  • Bauer's policies and practices with respect to obtaining information, paying for sources, verifying the credibility of sources with whom the writers and editors haven't spoken.
  • Bauer's practice of publishing stories about Cruise.
  • Bauer's history of bigotry and hatred toward minority religious groups and their members. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/tom-cruise-life-style-suri-421647

Cruise's objections seems to be about Bauer's first Amendment Rights.

Also, if the statements are not true why does Cruise need to know the source?

The Anabaptist Jacques

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Didn't LRH reference "snapping terminals with the courts" because they have "snapped terminals" with the es pee?:wink2:

Now who is Tom Cruise PTS to???? Oh...let me guess...could it be SATAN?? (David Miscavige)?

Cruise's objections seems to be about Bauer's first Amendment Rights. ...

Actually I'd put more money on his lawyer's pushing an "invasion of privacy" line, not only of Cruise but also his child's, as well as accuracy on the associated reports. First Amendment is not an absolute privilege. The use of a "free speech" argument to engage in public defamation and gossip about a celebrity's relationship with his child is a questionable one on many levels. The demand for the release of "sources" is certainly defensible in terms of the parent/child relationship.

Mark A. Baker

What's It All About

Patron with Honors
I think that Bauer is at risk in this lawsuit because they made an excessive claim. All Tom has to do is show that he called her a lot and paid his child support and he's disproved their claim. And he has the work in another country to hide behind, even though he could have been flying back for weekends or flying her to England for weekends.

But it was probably better for Suri to be away from him, his spies, handlers, other family. If I were Katie, I'd want her to see him as little as possible. And I'd examine any toys she brings home from her visits for bugging devices!

I think Tom will grind them down financially and that they'll never have anyone examine Suri - it's just a threat that will never happen. At some point, they'll settle, one way or another. Then Tom will have used them as an example to other media to be cautious about saying anything negative about his parenting.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Actually I'd put more money on his lawyer's pushing an "invasion of privacy" line, not only of Cruise but also his child's, as well as accuracy on the associated reports. First Amendment is not an absolute privilege. The use of a "free speech" argument to engage in public defamation and gossip about a celebrity's relationship with his child is a questionable one on many levels. The demand for the release of "sources" is certainly defensible in terms of the parent/child relationship.

Mark A. Baker

As I've expressed before on the topic of this lawsuit I hope Tom Cruise beats the shit out of them. Those articles crossed the line in an unforgivable fashion in my opinion. I am an anti-fan of Cruise, but those articles were indecent and irresponsible. The people who wrote and published them should crawl back under their rocks. It's not often I come across a lower form of life than Tom Cruise, but these tabloids have managed it with honours.