What's new

Tom Cruise's movie is doing bad...

AnonSunshine

Patron with Honors
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz...t-and-day.html

A Rough Start for 'Knight and Day'
by Mike Krumboltz · June 23, 2010
Not so long ago, Tom Cruise was the biggest movie star on the planet. During the '80s and '90s, the guy could not miss. But then, one fateful day, the excitable star decided to jump on Oprah's couch. It's been a rough go ever since.

Many feel that the infamous moment, combined with a bizarre interview with Matt Lauer, caused his star power to tumble. His movies, which used to be sure money-makers, began to look a little risky. Does Cruise's newest film, "Knight and Day," put him back at the top of the box office? To quote our Magic 8 Ball, "outlook not so good."

According to the Los Angeles Times, the film, which opened on Wednesday, earned $3.8 million on its opening day. That may not sound too shabby for a Wednesday, but keep in mind that "Toy Story 3" took in $13 million during the same time period. Box Office Mojo lists the top Wednesday grosses of all time, and "Knight and Day" doesn't even come close to cracking the top 50, despite rising ticket prices. Ruh-roh.

This dubious beginning isn't a surprise to everyone. Over the past week, Web searches on the film have been tepid at best, despite a vigorous marketing campaign. Pre-release surveys revealed that audiences weren't excited about the movie. The L.A. Times speculates that the film will be lucky to gross even $25 million by Sunday. Compare that to the movie's budget: the LA Times estimates that production cost around $117 million. Marketing was "tens of millions more."

But it's not like this is "Gigli" we're talking about. The film has earned decent, if not glowing, reviews. Roger Ebert gives it three stars and Claudia Puig of USA Today writes that "Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz make a surprisingly charming couple." True, the New York Times called it "loud, seemingly interminable, and altogether incoherent," but, hey, you can't please everybody.

Too bad, because according to Deadline, the box-office performance of "Knight and Day" could have an effect on another Tom Cruise flick -- the proposed "Mission: Impossible 4." The blog writes, "Hollywood has been buzzing that the studio might kill 'MI4' if 'Knight' doesn't connect with audiences despite Cruise's action hero character."

Slash Film calls this "speculation-ville." Still, if the numbers don't pick up there is one sequel we're sure nobody will ever green-light: "Knight and Day 2."

It's probably a good movie and well produced, but I would enjoy it a lot more if I knew I wasn't putting money in Scientology's coffers by paying to see it, so I'll pass on it.

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
What?

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz...t-and-day.html

A Rough Start for 'Knight and Day'
by Mike Krumboltz · June 23, 2010
Not so long ago, Tom Cruise was the biggest movie star on the planet. During the '80s and '90s, the guy could not miss. But then, one fateful day, the excitable star decided to jump on Oprah's couch. It's been a rough go ever since.

Many feel that the infamous moment, combined with a bizarre interview with Matt Lauer, caused his star power to tumble. His movies, which used to be sure money-makers, began to look a little risky. Does Cruise's newest film, "Knight and Day," put him back at the top of the box office? To quote our Magic 8 Ball, "outlook not so good."

According to the Los Angeles Times, the film, which opened on Wednesday, earned $3.8 million on its opening day. That may not sound too shabby for a Wednesday, but keep in mind that "Toy Story 3" took in $13 million during the same time period. Box Office Mojo lists the top Wednesday grosses of all time, and "Knight and Day" doesn't even come close to cracking the top 50, despite rising ticket prices. Ruh-roh.

This dubious beginning isn't a surprise to everyone. Over the past week, Web searches on the film have been tepid at best, despite a vigorous marketing campaign. Pre-release surveys revealed that audiences weren't excited about the movie. The L.A. Times speculates that the film will be lucky to gross even $25 million by Sunday. Compare that to the movie's budget: the LA Times estimates that production cost around $117 million. Marketing was "tens of millions more."

But it's not like this is "Gigli" we're talking about. The film has earned decent, if not glowing, reviews. Roger Ebert gives it three stars and Claudia Puig of USA Today writes that "Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz make a surprisingly charming couple." True, the New York Times called it "loud, seemingly interminable, and altogether incoherent," but, hey, you can't please everybody.

Too bad, because according to Deadline, the box-office performance of "Knight and Day" could have an effect on another Tom Cruise flick -- the proposed "Mission: Impossible 4." The blog writes, "Hollywood has been buzzing that the studio might kill 'MI4' if 'Knight' doesn't connect with audiences despite Cruise's action hero character."

Slash Film calls this "speculation-ville." Still, if the numbers don't pick up there is one sequel we're sure nobody will ever green-light: "Knight and Day 2."

Cruise made another movie? What's it called? Who's in it? Ah, it doesn't matter anyways, I won't go and see it until El Weirdo publically renounces his brain washing. scientology is not going to ever get another penny from me. EVER. :no:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
duh. it's called Knight and Day. read the posts.

Cruise movies are usually pretty good. He did well with Diaz in "Vanilla Sky". I probably will wait for this one for a torrent, basically because I only go see movies in IMAX now, and only if they really demand the big screen.

I don't base my decisions concerning quality artwork on the belief system of the artists. I base it on their track record. Cruise's movies have generally been very worth seeing. This one just doesn't pique my interest, or hasn't yet. Then again, I haven't seen an ad for it yet.

Miss Penguin

Patron with Honors
I saw the movie, "Knight and Day". It was a good movie. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz did a good job. I think Tom has his head up his as in regard to the cult, but he still makes good movies. It was funny, entertaining and action packed. Definitely way better than "Killers" with Ashton Kutcher.

Mystic

Crusader
Over the years I haven't minded that Cruised-out Tom was a clam when I viewed his pictures. However, one of his quite early movies, with super bigtime Paul Neuman, The Color of Money, was so poorly acted on his part I actually got up, walked out and went home.

Then next flick I saw him in was Top Gun which I almost walked out of.

After the Mission Impossible series I just quit watching anything this creep is in.

I did note in Eyes Wide Shut he did a pretty good job of acting a few times.

I do not now and have never seen this person as a good actor, he lacks heart and has no soul whatsoever. Just a facade. Like any "OT".

celtg

Patron
Well since I'm too cheap to go to the movies, and I'm not a fan, if I want to see it I'll wait for the video.:whistling:

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
Cruise films

I boycott Tom Cruise and John Travolta films, for supporting a system that abuses its members and suppresses free speech.
I'm sure that the deal they have with Miscavige is a good one, but for certain we will hear less and less about $cientology from 'Celebrities' in the future, as they know they will not be so celebrated for doing so:yes:

moarxenu

Patron with Honors
From the great film critic Pauline Kael:

Tom Cruise will never face an icier dismissal than Kael's assertion that ''his knowing that a camera is on him produces nothing but fraudulence.''

Div6

Crusader
They got a puff piece review in the WaPo, trying to goose the weekend attendance...http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/movies/knight-and-day,1159891/critic-review.html

" While Cruise was born to play the part -- a modern-day MacGyver who, by his own admission, has been trained to dismantle a bomb in the dark "with nothing but a safety pin and some Junior Mints" -- it also seems just possible that the guy might be ever so slightly deranged. The actor's couch-jumping, Scientology-pumping past actually helps here, add a layer of unpredictability to a character who, in almost every other aspect, is a kind of Superman."

cough*blow-job*cough....

The two-day take is a little over 7 million: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cruisediaz10.htm

If it doesn't pick up over the weekend, it could be his biggest bust ever...

I wonder how many SO will be bussed out to see it repeatedly this weekend?