What's new

Tommy Davis secretly recorded discussing disconnection

TEoS

Patron with Honors
The Village Voice has obtained an audiotape secretly recorded in December 2009 at a meeting between Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis and a man named Shane Clark. The purpose of the meeting: Clark was facing the prospect of being declared a "suppressive person" by the Church of Scientology, carrying with it the prospect of Clark being "disconnected" by his entire family, who are all Scientologists.

Just a year earlier, in May, 2008, Davis had appeared on CNN and claimed that the policy of "disconnection" does not exist. But in the audiotape he speaks openly about it, saying at one point, "It is what works. It is what safeguards the church."

Since that meeting, Clark, 30, has indeed been "declared" by the church, and his family -- his parents, his brother and his sister -- have all disconnected from him, cutting him out of their lives entirely.

Clark's crime? He was employed by a man named Marc Headley, a former Scientologist who defected in 2005 and subsequently became an outspoken critic of the organization.

More: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/tommy_davis_sci.php

TG1

Angelic Poster
Chuck, this is a different New Yorker article -- this one's about Tommy Davis confirming on tape that disconnection is alive and well. The other thread's about Freedumb's latest footbullet parodying itself (while thinking it's parodying The New Yorker Larry Wright article).

TG1

Chuck, this is a different New Yorker article -- this one's about Tommy Davis confirming on tape that disconnection is alive and well. The other thread's about Freedumb's latest footbullet parodying itself (while thinking it's parodying The New Yorker Larry Wright article).

TG1

the thread I posted has the same link to Tommy Davis' trying to do his best L. Ron Hubbard flimflam.

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
There's already a thread started on this but not that you brought it up, why does Tommy Davis always sound like he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown? Do you think all of the ridiculous lies he's forced to spew are getting to him?

I'd like to see you work for an insane jack-in-the-box who makes demands that cannot be met while you know that you have to make it go right. That's kinda stressful, don't you think? :wink2:

I'd like to see you work for an insane jack-in-the-box who makes demands that cannot be met while you know that you have to make it go right. That's kinda stressful, don't you think? :wink2:

He knows firsthand the cult is doomed, why not just leave? At least Baghdad Bob had a sense of humor about it when Iraq was collapsing, Tommy sounds like he's ready to put a gun in his mouth and swallow a few bullets.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Tommy Davis will soon end up in SP Hall... if he isn't there already.

He won't be the first that sold his soul cheap for the cult and back in exchange got a life of abuse .

Those guys are soooooooooooooo short sighted.......and shallow.

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
It does seem Tommy is MIA lately. I guess the new face of Scientology is the Squirrel Busters®. If I was still an oatea I'd be mighty proud seeing who was representing my "church".

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Perhaps Tommy can return for a follow up interview on CNN and explain why his comments in that taped conversation completely contradict what he said publicly when interviewed on their network. :coolwink:

FoTi

Crusader
Perhaps Tommy can return for a follow up interview on CNN and explain why his comments in that taped conversation completely contradict what he said publicly when interviewed on their network. :coolwink:

I was thinking the same thing....I would love to see CNN confront Tommy with this.....what a great program and video that would make!!!

It would be fun to see Tommy try to dodge those bullets....sputter... stutter.......:hysterical: Man, would he look like a fool and it would expose the Co$ and it's lies. Oh, yeh......I would love to see this. Maybe this is why Tommy has seemingly disappeared so that he can be kept from any further interviews with the media, which would point out how sleezy the Co$ is.

freethinker

Sponsor
Re: I have a question here

When Shane talked about his mother and how she was engrossed in doing her job to carry out the Mission of Scientology, I got to thinking.

The question is:

Can someone be in Scientology and know that there are many things that are not right and just plain wrong, Scientology is not what Ron said, but think that if they work really hard at their post and endure long hours, hardship, separation from family that they can bring about the pretended goal of Scientology of a world without war, criminality, and insanity because that is what they really want?

Do you get what I mean? Could that be why people stay?

Did anyone here experience that?

I'll undersatand if you don't want to post that if you did.

FoTi

Crusader
He knows firsthand the cult is doomed, why not just leave? At least Baghdad Bob had a sense of humor about it when Iraq was collapsing, Tommy sounds like he's ready to put a gun in his mouth and swallow a few bullets.

If Tommy leaves, he will be declared an SP. His mother, his family and the only friends he knows will disconnect from him. Unless he's willing to experience that, he ain't goin' nowhere. Some people would rather lie and put up with the abuse from the Co$, even if they don't like the game, than go through the painful experience of disconnection and trauma of losing their friends, family, the only life they have known for years.....most if not all of their life, so far, and the threat of losing what they think, or have been programmed to believe, is their eternity. It's too much for them to face or deal with.

FoTi

Crusader
Re: I have a question here

When Shane talked about his mother and how she was engrossed in doing her job to carry out the Mission of Scientology, I got to thinking.

The question is:

Can someone be in Scientology and know that there are many things that are not right and just plain wrong, Scientology is not what Ron said, but think that if they work really hard at their post and endure long hours, hardship, separation from family that they can bring about the pretended goal of Scientology of a world without war, criminality, and insanity because that is what they really want?

Do you get what I mean? Could that be why people stay?

Did anyone here experience that?

I'll undersatand if you don't want to post that if you did.

Yep, that's pretty much how it is.

Mark_Cabian

When the leader of Scientology beats the crap out of you, it is very difficult to not be an outspoken critic. The fact that David Miscavige has carte blanche to beat the shi tout of people is beneath contempt.

The disconnection policy is not an issue if you have to sever ties with people who are truly evil ogres. However it becomes a tricky situation when family members get involved. How do you manage a situation of this kind? It is certainly an ethical dilemma for the church. Do they want to be libelled for breaking up families?

Well, if you have dickheads like David Miscavige beating the shit out of people then it is very difficult to control what the media does and says. Why alienate your parishioners especially those who have deciated their lives to the Scientology cause. Breaking up families becomes inevitable and innocent people end up losing their families because a macho shit head or hot shot likes to bully and pull his weight around and his only concern is about empowerment and not the welfare of the congregation or the so-called church's reputation!

Last edited:

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron

I think Tommy's usefulness as a frontman is zero now. I don't expect to see much more of him. Hopefully I'm wrong.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

I listened to all of it. Remarkable.

His method of communication is what can best be described as:

AMBIGUOUSLY WEAVING INNUENDO, THREADED WITH RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION FOR PUNCTUATION BETWEEN SPORADIC OUTBURSTS OF STATISTICAL FAKERY.

Honest people do not speak like that.