What's new

Tony Ortega book drops in May

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think the juxtaposition is useful. It might make people ask themselves: this is a Church? They all know that scientology is crazy, but this brings out their "whole other level" of doing business. This will have a huge impact.

Here’s my five cents worth on this issue:

It doesn't matter what word(s) are used to label scientology, once you start moving, even slightly, into the context (the bigger picture, the details), people tend to not shut down or avoid. One word (church) is not sufficient to cause most people to switch off their natural curiosity about a group that is now not much more than the butt of jokes in popular culture. Often it is a morbid fascination that is the driving factor for the uninitiated.

The use of the word “church” in many ways brings a useful contrast which sharpens peoples “OMG!” factor. I've had people say “this ain’t no church” and they actually reject the label themselves, without one word on the issue from anyone else.

I tend not to use the word "cult" in real-life discussions but per the above, people offer me the word "cult". People are not stupid. If you let them think things through with enough [STRIKE]clam[/STRIKE] calm info/context.

The word “church” becomes an insignificant irrelevancy when the subject is contextualised, even slightly.

In that short blurb "the Church" is used eight times.

It's great that Paulette Cooper finally has a book - and hopefully a movie! - dedicated solely to her, but is it really necessary to so frequently reaffirm the fraudulent "religious" identity of corporate Scientology?

Simply calling it "the Church," and with such matter of fact frequency, will make some people back away from the topic, as they are disinclined to enter into a conflict between someone and a "Church."

(Believe it or not, most people are not organized-religion-despising-atheists, thus the utility of the "religion angle.")

:) In any event, it should be interesting to see what new information is brought to light, and it's wonderful to see Paulette Cooper getting the recognition she deserves.

This has the potential to be an extremely poignant and powerful book.

it is legally and lawfully a church veda

I didn't write the announcement, Veda. The first part is from Humfrey Hunter of Silvertail Books, the second from Jon Atack.

However, if you look carefully, you will see that there are no gratuitous uses of the word.

The organization that tried to destroy Paulette was the B-I branch of the Guardian's Office, which was a unit of the Church of Scientology.

As a journalist, those are the words that I have to use in order to be factual. But if that will keep you from buying the book, so be it.

Tony O.

Tony!

great to see you here!

and fear not, veda will be among the first rank of your most avid readers

and although i won't be front and center i look forward to reading it as well

Veda

Sponsor
Here’s my five cents worth on this issue:

It doesn't matter what word(s) are used to label scientology, once you start moving, even slightly, into the context (the bigger picture, the details), people tend to not shut down or avoid. One word (church) is not sufficient to cause most people to switch off their natural curiosity about a group that is now not much more than the butt of jokes in popular culture. Often it is a morbid fascination that is the driving factor for the uninitiated.

The use of the word “church” in many ways brings a useful contrast which sharpens peoples “OMG!” factor. I've had people say “this ain’t no church” and they actually reject the label themselves, without one word on the issue from anyone else.

I tend not to use the word "cult" in real-life discussions but per the above, people offer me the word "cult". People are not stupid. If you let them think things through with enough [STRIKE]clam[/STRIKE] calm info/context.

The word “church” becomes an insignificant irrelevancy when the subject is contextualised, even slightly.

Let's hope so, however, in "fly over" country - that little green patch in the back -
NewYorker-Magazine-cover-219x300.jpg
the word "Church" has a very different ring to it than does, simply, "Scientology."

As I mentioned, the book has the potential to be extremely powerful. That's what I'm looking forwarding to. :)

I can feel the hot breath of the Scientology PR people and apologists now, with their twisted logic and shore stories.

RogerB

Crusader
The other side of the coin on the "church" thing . . . and I assume the folks who wrote it are regular folks, the very folks we would want to dissuade from ever getting anywhere near the $cn enterprise . . . is that it could be seen as almost a pointed put down that discredits any shred of credibility or respectability of the notion of this monster is a "church" or legitimately religious . . . It almost mocks the notion.

The title of the book is actually brilliant . . . as is the cover design.

And, as reviewers and the public get into the details of what that kult-enterprise did in those days before the FBI raids uncovered the real deal on their operations, then I do feel there will be poignant and pungent disgust at the idea that this thing calls itself a "church" and feigns religion.

If we were to read that the Mafia or the CIA had pulled the stunts, folks would yawn: so what. But a "church"!?! There will be instant reactions against the idea that this enterprise is in any way legitimate in any way shape or form.

I do feel, this juxtaposition or conjoining of the despicable acts revealed and the notion of "done by a 'church'?" is so repugnant that there will be outrage.

And Tony, that eager beavers picked up the scent of this the instant someone let a word slip inadvertently . . . well, it just goes to show how your fans await your every utterance. I think we should tell your publisher that!:yes:

I got an email on it from another group I hang with an hour ago . . .

RogerB

RogerB

Crusader
it is legally and lawfully a church veda

Yes . . . wasn't it a Law Lord back in the days when the Law was being put in its proper place in England that the Lord commented that "the Law is an ass!"

Fact is, law can be misapplied, misused and abused . . .

I do feel folks are going to come away from reading this material with some outrage that this organization poses as a church . . . even those in mid-America who might have cement solidly held in place in their heads that "church equals good."

R

Last edited:

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think the drama adds cred to what promises to be a great book about the cult.

And it doesn't appear to have negatively impacted the presentation. At least as far as I see it.

I'm certainly going to purchase at least a few copies.

Thanks, Mr. O

:thumbsup:

JustSheila

Crusader
This is just fabulous. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Paulette Cooper is a sweetheart. She's intelligent, articulate, family-oriented, warm, thoughtful, and talented. She could be anyone's adored mother or grandmother and was one of the first truly successful female journalists. She knew what true journalism investigation was and worked diligently to document and expose the truth about the cult of Scientology.

In short, she is an amazing and wonderful woman. How did she manage to go through all she did in her life and take on so much, spearing through so much opposition from those who profited at others' misfortune? How did she still end up such a wonderful person after seeing so much darkness in others? How did she manage to maintain her belief in the goodness of others?

To see that Tony has worked with her these years to put her story together, to see that she has recovered her strength and courage to return to journalism to help on this book, to have her name back in the media in the correct light, as the brilliant light she is and always has been, touches me deeply.

We love you, Paulette. And you too, Tony! Thanks for all you do, and all you have done.

(and nice to see you show up here, Tony!)

Veda

Sponsor
"I can make Napoleon look like a punk." L. Ron Hubbard from his August 1938 'Excalibur' letter, where he described his plan to "smash" his "name into history."

"I am not interested in wog morality... If anyone is getting industrious trying to enturbulate or stop Scientology or Scientologists, I can make Captain Bligh look like a Sunday School teacher." L. Ron Hubbard, 'Discipline, SPs and Admin', 1969

lronhubbard_globe.jpg

scandalscientology.cov12a.gif

AmericanHero.jpg

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
It's brilliant that someone outside the church, scientology, whatever, is writing this book. Even someone outside the ex/indie camp as there is clearly history with those who were OSA, but no longer wish to be associated etc.

I like the objective viewpoint, and maybe a compilation of others stories could also be done, i.e. Gerry Armstrong, Bob Minton,

"I can make Napoleon look like a punk." L. Ron Hubbard from his August 1938 'Excalibur' letter, where he described his plan to "smash" his "name into history."

"I am not interested in wog morality... If anyone is getting industrious trying to enturbulate or stop Scientology or Scientologists, I can make Captain Bligh look like a Sunday School teacher." L. Ron Hubbard, 'Discipline, SPs and Admin', 1969

lronhubbard_globe.jpg

scandalscientology.cov12a.gif

AmericanHero.jpg

i went to a hellfire and brimstone calvinist baptist church when i was a kid

the sunday school teacher did look like captain bligh

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
I think the juxtaposition is useful. It might make people ask themselves: this is a Church? They all know that scientology is crazy, but this brings out their "whole other level" of doing business. This will have a huge impact.

I know. :p I'm fine with the cult of Scientology calling itself (when wogs are listening) the Church of Scientology since I "cognited" that this move of Scientology, and all the more the more despicable they behave, is actually going to fire back against ALL OTHER CHURCHES, CHERCHES, CHULTS, CULTS, AND KULTS. If you let the trolls roll, you gotta pay the troll toll. Sooner or later. Mindfuckers! :hysterical:

attachment.php

HOOT HOOT,
DAVID MISCAVIGE!

YOU'RE SO FUCKED,
SIR.

Attachments

• Chicks-in-bucket2.gif
    Chicks-in-bucket2.gif
    77.6 KB · Views: 133

JustSheila

Crusader
You have a point, Eldritch. Other churches and churchies who were previously so tolerant and accepting of the "Church" of Scientology's religious status will want to disassociate from them in every possible way.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm glad to see Paulette Cooper getting some recognition for what she has done.

It is easy to see why a journalist like Tony Ortega would be drawn to her story.

Her only peers in the field are Woodward and Bernstein and they got off easy.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
As to the use of the word 'church,' I'll say this to show how irrelevant it is.

1) If you use the term 'organization,' people are focused only on the facts, which are horrifying. People will see them as a criminal organization, which they are. The next time people hear the word 'church' associated with Scientology, they will suspect religious cloaking.

2) If you use the word 'church,' and present the facts, which are horrifying, people will see only a criminal organization, which they are. As they hear the word 'church,' they will suspect religious cloaking.

It doesn't matter what word Tony uses.

What matters are the facts. Tony will report the facts correctly and accurately as he always does.

The facts will speak for themselves. Propaganda terms don't survive the unveiling of facts. Scientology cannot benefit from the truth being told, no matter what words are used.

The only problem I see is if they make a film of it they won't be able to find any women in Hollywood as pretty as Paulette.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
A lovely comment from Jeff Hawkins:

Jefferson Hawkins • 4 hours ago

Congratulations Tony - this is such an important story and I can't think of a better writer to tell it. I wish you every success with it and look forward to reading it. Paulette is a brave woman who put the truth out there in a day when there were only a few critics and the Guardians Office was at its peak - well-staffed, well-funded, and steeped in a fanatic arrogance that they could do whatever they wanted. Today the GO (or OSA as they now call it - same group, same people, same marching orders) is small and overworked, with thousands of critics to deal with. They can only go after the key figures, like Mike and Marty. And they are painfully aware that their every move is being watched. It is now much safer to speak out against Scientology, thanks in no small part to the courage of Paulette Cooper.

It will be interesting to see Scientology's reaction. I'm sure it will be "that's ancient history, we don't do that anymore, we fired all those people and disbanded the Guardian's Office" and so on. But anyone reading this book and then seeing their current "fair game" activities will connect the dots.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/10/co...famous-campaign-of-terror/#comment-1784952755