What's new

Tony Ortega: The Atlantic Magazine Becomes Scientology’s Newest “Ideal Org”

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Reynolds Center - BusinessJournalism.org

The Atlantic runs ‘sponsored content’ on Scientology’s ‘milestone year’

http://businessjournalism.org/2013/...sored-content-on-scientologys-milestone-year/

Excerpt containing good observations:

It looks like members of Scientology or their friends were geared up to comment on the piece. And there are other, very positive comments from people who don’t declare whether they are members or not.

This is not the first sponsored spot on the site. Also on The Atlantic categorized as “sponsored content” are:

Yet, there is a big difference. On those two sponsored articles, the author is clearly identified at the top of the piece, right under the headline.

As you can see (to the right), there is no explanation about who wrote the Miscavige piece.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
The Next Web

The Atlantic backtracks and removes controversial Scientology advertorial

http://thenextweb.com/media/2013/01...ontroversial-scientology-advertorial-feature/

Excerpt:
The advertorial caused concern for allowing a controversial sponsor such a visible position within the publication’s website, while the publication was also criticized for its decision to moderate the comment sections of the post. Those issues seem to have forced the Atlantic’s hand and the publication has made an embarrassing about-turn.

While monetization is key for online media and readers are able to accept some sponsored content or adverts, this debacle makes it crystal clear (if it wasn’t already — it should be) that the choice of sponsors is reflective of the publisher, and its attitude to its readers…and shouldn’t simply be dictated by money.

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
DMspoof.jpg

Under His unforgiving majesty Cthulhu, the Order of Dagon expanded more in 2012 than in any 12 months of its 180-year history.

(On Ideal orgs)
Read more :::::::

http://boingboing.net/2013/01/14/dread-cthulhu-leads-his-cult-t.html#more-205801

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
The good news here is the spontaneous uproar.

That makes me feel good.

We are not alone.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Watershed moment. Instant cyber-mob beatdown trumps cult money.

The cult can't buy a "status" in the real world the way they sell them to gullible cult members.

Media outlets quickly realize that Scn is toxic kryptonite and bail.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
They pulled it in. Again.

Scientology versus the Internet only ever shows how out of touch and reviled the Scientology space alien cult is.

I wonder who Der Dwarfenführer is punching right now, and how much longer before they up and leave?

Sindy

Crusader
Watershed moment. Instant cyber-mob beatdown trumps cult money.

The cult can't buy a "status" in the real world the way they sell them to gullible cult members.

Media outlets quickly realize that Scn is toxic kryptonite and bail.

It will be interesting to see the move that they make tomorrow. It certainly can't just die on the vine with all that money involved. How will the Atlantic skate out of this one?

I have to tell you, the absolute giddy joy I felt while I watched the cult get beat down on this one even caught me by surprise. I wonder if my needle was floating or rockslamming. LOL

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
Would the magazine have any reason that they could defend legally for not accepting a paid advertizement from a Church?

The Anabaptist Jacques

It would be extremely unlikely for any magazine to not have a clause to refuse advertising. They rely on their brand and editorial integrity to attract specific advertisers who want to be identified with the magazines' brand and readership. Most respected magazines are very careful where they place the ads in relation to their editorial content as well as other ads.
If they had to accept any advertising then magazines would be overrun with ads from for example the sex industry and the ads would start to define their brands.

I'll take a guess and say the initial Twitter and site comments were initially seen as positive by the magazine, an increase in unique browsers and page impressions, plus a surge in Twitter followers would be welcomed.
I would put money on it, that the ad was axed because a big brand advertiser threatened to pull their ad spend, because they do not want to be associated with Scientology.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

DM_squirril-in-grbg_v1.gif

" . . . COB? . . . COB? . . . are you there? . . . has anyone
seen COB? . . . there's some journalists wanting to ask a few questions . . . "​

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
It will be interesting to see the move that they make tomorrow. It certainly can't just die on the vine with all that money involved. How will the Atlantic skate out of this one?

I have to tell you, the absolute giddy joy I felt while I watched the cult get beat down on this one even caught me by surprise. I wonder if my needle was floating or rockslamming. LOL

They will probably issue a discretely worded apology and reference their mission statement.

But they will humbly take responsibility (mea [STRIKE]culpa[/STRIKE] culta)

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
[video=youtube;u6zGBz_klSE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zGBz_klSE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]