What's new

Tony Ortega: The Atlantic Magazine Becomes Scientology’s Newest “Ideal Org”

Purple Rain

Crusader
You have to scroll all the way down to the bottom. The comment section is open. Did you see my comment? I'll put another one there so you can see that it's open.

My new comment:

"Instead of lamely attempting to purchase your way out of your horrid, global, PR problems, why don't you cease and desist your criminal activities, and start acting like a church is supposed to act. You can't buy your way out of your mess. You have to EARN the public's respect."

Yes, I see it now. Thanks! It just took forever for the page to load on my computer.

rhansrider

Patron with Honors
It would be very interesting to know what heads will roll at the magazine. Undoubtedly the sales guy who let the cult buy the ad. Major magazines do not appreciate being made into a headline joke by actions of underlings.

It would also be very interesting to know if any of the employees involved in getting the ad published were Scilons. In the past that is how cult press releases snuck into various media.

It would be very interesting to know what heads will roll at the magazine. Undoubtedly the sales guy who let the cult buy the ad. Major magazines do not appreciate being made into a headline joke by actions of underlings.

It would also be very interesting to know if any of the employees involved in getting the ad published were Scilons. In the past that is how cult press releases snuck into various media.

The magazine went as far as editing out critical comments. That makes me suspicious...along with the fact that the advertorial got printed in the first place. I am guessing there would be more than one person who had to be involved in the original decision to print the advertorial and that it would naturally have been questioned, so someone had to "handle the CI, make it go right, get the product, report the 'done' and put the stat on the graph".

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron
http://news.yahoo.com/why-people-saying-lawrence-wrights-scientology-book-great-182851832.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CRwKPdQrggAZzvQtDMD

Why People Are Saying Lawrence Wright's Scientology Book Is So Great
By Esther Zuckerman | The Atlantic Wire – 3 hrs ago

Lawrence Wright's long look at Scientology, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood & the Prison of Belief, is set for release tomorrow, and reviews, for the most part, have been overwhelmingly positive. But why? Lawrence is only the latest high-profile investigation into the underbelly of Scientology, following big heaves by St. Petersburg (now Tampa Bay) Times and Janet Reitman's landmark book Inside Scientology. While those who have read Wright's effort already have not reported any bombshell revelations, they are full of raves. How does it stand out? Well, here's what critics have to say: ...

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Mmm hmmm. Yeah. :yawn:

It was a big one but I'd still have to say the Debbie Cook trial had to take the caek. :cake:

But there are just so many I think I've forgotten half of them. Scientology will forever be remembered as the supreme master of foot-bullets. I mean their genius just never ceases to amaze.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
It was a big one but I'd still have to say the Debbie Cook trial had to take the caek. :cake:

But there are just so many I think I've forgotten half of them. Scientology will forever be remembered as the supreme master of foot-bullets. I mean their genius just never ceases to amaze.

That would make a good thread (if it doesn't already exist). The TOP 100 Footbullets :coolwink:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Wired: The Atlantic, Scientology, and the Theft of Credibility

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/01/the-atlantic-scientology-and-stolen-credibility/

Very good article. Excerpts:
Well, no. If the Church of Scientology wanted to run an ad, they’d buy an ad. But they wanted something more: They wanted some of the credibility that goes with being editorial content at the Atlantic. That’s thewhole point of sponsored content or advertorials whose design mimics that of the magazine or occupies layouts that are, by design, meant to tell the reader that This Is The Magazine (or website): to pass as editorial content, or something very much like it, and thereby borrow — no, steal — some of the credibility that writers and editors have worked hard to grant that space.
A banner at the top is not nearly enough to overturn all the conventions that make this announcement, for aside from the banner, everything else about the presentation is designed to tell the reader, The goods are in the ads; this here is a place in which a writer we trust will seek to have an intimate conversation with you. Editorial space, folks, is editorial space: It’s a sitting room, an intimate booth, a bedroom. It’s dishonest, and a huge betrayal of writers and readers, to turn it into a sales room.

Sassy

Patron Meritorious
Interesting point you raise there.

I don't thing advertising is protected in that manner, but I'm off to go Google it now...

I wonder if they had to issue a refund?? I also wonder why they chose this publication & how many they had to approach before
finding someone who actually said YES.

Anyone know what the cost of the ad may have been & how long it was to run?

not much of a flap

after all it involves no misadventure whatsoever on the part of CoS

now that i think about it...

there might be some skulldggery there, bribe(s), subterfuge to get it past the watchdog nd the hired help

who is editor in chief?

he or she ultimately is personnally responsible for the entire content and may not plead ignorance

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Lovely line from gawker article:

The advertorial itself was pretty fantastic. It conveyed all the tone-deaf self-congratulation of the worst totalitarian nightmare regimes. Then it was followed by clearly strictly moderated canned "user comments." In fact, just go read it (scroll to the bottom) and then compare it to virtually any press release from KCNA, the Central News Agency of North Korea. The Scientology copy had all the uncritical summarization of a pre-teen's book report, the fawning praise of a tween love letter and the rigidly bright forecast of a Five Year Plan

:clap:

http://gawker.com/5976669/journalis...i-teo-finding-the-leper-with-the-most-fingers

I wonder if they had to issue a refund?? I also wonder why they chose this publication & how many they had to approach before
finding someone who actually said YES.

Anyone know what the cost of the ad may have been & how long it was to run?

I hope they don't give them a refund and when the Church asks for one they are told that if they give them a refund they a barred forever from advertising anywhere.

Wouldn't that be cool.

The Anabaptist Jacques