What's new

Tony Ortega to Become Executive Editor of Raw Story

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Village Voice editor Tony Ortega to helm editorial at Raw Story

BERKELEY, CA – October 31, 2013 — Raw Story is pleased to announce that Tony Ortega, former editor-in-chief at The Village Voice, has been selected as the company’s new executive editor.

Ortega will take the reins of Raw Story next week, where he plans to bring more reporting to a website that is experiencing record growth. “Raw is really tearing up its competition, and I’m fortunate to be asked to help it get to the next level with an increased emphasis on original stories,” Ortega said.

Ortega started his journalism career at the Phoenix New Times, where he was named Arizona’s Journalist of the Year after only his first full year as a reporter, largely based on his reporting on corruption in the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office under Joe Arpaio. He rose through the ranks at the company’s papers in Los Angeles, Kansas City, and Fort Lauderdale before he became top editor at the Voice in 2007.

Read Full Story: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/...r-tony-ortega-to-helm-editorial-at-raw-story/

From in the "About" section on RawStory.com
Raw Story is a progressive news site that focuses on stories often ignored in the mainstream media. While giving coverage to the big stories of the day, we also bring our readers' attention to policy, politics, legal and human rights stories that get ignored in an infotainment culture driven solely by pageviews.

Founded in 2004, Raw Story reaches 5 million unique readers per month and serves more than 19 million pageviews.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Here's some other good news hidden in the comments section of the Bunker:

Ruby3 hours ago
The article says, "Ortega has penned a book about Scientology"...did I miss something??
Congrats, Tony! You deserve all this, and more!
But I selfishly hope this does not take anything away from Bunker news. :)

Tony Ortega3 hours ago
Penned, shipped to agent, yet to be published.

Lone Star

Crusader
From in the "About" section on RawStory.com

Uh-oh! I think Tony O may lose some fans who are extreme righties/neo-connies. According to that piece while in Arizona Tony exposed the corruption of the famous Maricopa County Sheriff Department under Joe Arpaio, an extreme, far-out, rightwing poster boy if there ever was one.

He actually used to force county jail inmates to watch Newt Gingrich speeches back in the 90s. I think Rush Limbaugh gets wood every time he talks about Sheriff Joe's latest ploys to shred the Bill of Rights, er, I mean fight crime.

Extreme Righties....what to do, what to do.....:duh: :melodramatic:

:lol:

hpm1999

Patron with Honors
I am very pleased that Tony has a new gig

for I imagine that the Bunker barely pays the bills- however I do wonder about the Bunker- I see this as a loss-but perhaps Tony will have a wider audience.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
"Uh-oh! I think Tony O may lose some fans..."

If he loses any he's still going to have a net gain of MILLIONS. :happydance:

Look at the current stats from Alexa:

ortega_zps37fa82a0.jpg

By the way, here's the current stats for Scientology.org

That look's like a long term Danger trend, does it not? :unsure:
(or perhaps, Non-Existence)

hpm1999

Patron with Honors
Although this article I did find rather humorous and made me smile thinking that "our" Tony Ortega would be at the helm of a group of correspondents that could write such a fine piece in the hothouse of religious insanity that is America.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Uh-oh! I think Tony O may lose some fans who are extreme righties/neo-connies. According to that piece while in Arizona Tony exposed the corruption of the famous Maricopa County Sheriff Department under Joe Arpaio, an extreme, far-out, rightwing poster boy if there ever was one.

He actually used to force county jail inmates to watch Newt Gingrich speeches back in the 90s. I think Rush Limbaugh gets wood every time he talks about Sheriff Joe's latest ploys to shred the Bill of Rights, er, I mean fight crime.

Extreme Righties....what to do, what to do.....:duh: :melodramatic:

:lol:

I'm one of your so-called " extreme righties "... and I like Tony O.

I seriously doubt the zealots on either political side are "right" about much of anything, but, they could change places & not miss a breath.

What strikes me odd is painting an entire group - left or right - only by the antics of the zealots - sort of reminds me of something.......

Lone Star

Crusader
I'm one of your so-called " extreme righties "... and I like Tony O.

I seriously doubt the zealots on either political side are "right" about much of anything, but, they could change places & not miss a breath.

What strikes me odd is painting an entire group - left or right - only by the antics of the zealots - sort of reminds me of something.......

I'm just having fun mostly. I agree with your last two paragraphs. I did not paint all conservatives as being zealots. I went out of my way to say "extreme" for that reason.

BTW I used to be an extreme right winger....a zealot. I'm now what Rush calls a "spineless moderate". Lol.....

But what the fuck does he know?

Purple Rain

Crusader
If he loses any he's still going to have a net gain of MILLIONS. :happydance:

Look at the current stats from Alexa:

By the way, here's the current stats for Scientology.org

That look's like a long term Danger trend, does it not? :unsure:
(or perhaps, Non-Existence)

Wow, this truly is awesome! I understand why people are excited!

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm just having fun mostly. I agree with your last two paragraphs. I did not paint all conservatives as being zealots. I went out of my way to say "extreme" for that reason.

BTW I used to be an extreme right winger....a zealot. I'm now what Rush calls a "spineless moderate". Lol.....

But what the fuck does he know?

How to divert prescription meds? :angry:

FlunkYou

Patron with Honors
Re: I am very pleased that Tony has a new gig

for I imagine that the Bunker barely pays the bills- however I do wonder about the Bunker- I see this as a loss-but perhaps Tony will have a wider audience.

I too am curious as to how he pays the bills.

RogerB

Crusader
Nah, Tony O is a man of integrity . . . he ain't gonna drop the crime on humanity and fraud posing as a church known as Scientology . . . :no:

He now has a bigger, better gun to shoot with.

He may not be shooting as often, and there may not be as much "chatter" as those who live for chatter would like . . . but Tony O has integrity to a mission and that is the exposure of the full insanity of the cultiness of the cult and the bringing about of its demise.

And I say: more power to Tony O!!!