What's new

Tony Ortega to Become Executive Editor of Raw Story

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Nah, Tony O is a man of integrity . . . he ain't gonna drop the crime on humanity and fraud posing as a church known as Scientology . . . :no:

He now has a bigger, better gun to shoot with.

He may not be shooting as often, and there may not be as much "chatter" as those who live for chatter would like . . . but Tony O has integrity to a mission and that is the exposure of the full insanity of the cultiness of the cult and the bringing about of its demise.

And I say: more power to Tony O!!!

^^^^^^
My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

And as you said: "He now has a bigger, better gun to shoot with." :)

Not only does RawStory.com reach more people directly through it's website but there's also a greater chance that Tony O's stories will now be picked up by other media outlets as well.

From the CoS point of view Tony now became even more dangerous as he's able to reach even more people with the truth.

I guarentee that OSA is NOT celebrating this move. :no:

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Village Voice editor Tony Ortega to helm editorial at Raw Story

BERKELEY, CA – October 31, 2013 — Raw Story is pleased to announce that Tony Ortega, former editor-in-chief at The Village Voice, has been selected as the company’s new executive editor.

Ortega will take the reins of Raw Story next week, where he plans to bring more reporting to a website that is experiencing record growth. “Raw is really tearing up its competition, and I’m fortunate to be asked to help it get to the next level with an increased emphasis on original stories,” Ortega said.

Ortega started his journalism career at the Phoenix New Times, where he was named Arizona’s Journalist of the Year after only his first full year as a reporter, largely based on his reporting on corruption in the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office under Joe Arpaio. He rose through the ranks at the company’s papers in Los Angeles, Kansas City, and Fort Lauderdale before he became top editor at the Voice in 2007.

Read Full Story: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/3...-at-raw-story/

:clap: :woohoo: :thumbsup: :clap: :happydance:

Excellent, Tony! I'm SO happy for you :bighug:

:flowers2:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
What is going to happen to The Bunker?

I don't know. :unsure:

But Tony did post THIS earlier this morning:

We’re going through some changes here at the Underground Bunker. Some of you may have heard our news yesterday that we’re starting a new job on Tuesday. We know that’s left some of you with questions, and we don’t blame you for wondering what’s going to happen around here.

And that’s why today, as we soldier on here at the Bunker for the foreseeable future, we’re going to finally answer one of the great mysteries of this website.

It’s something that we’ve heard often from the days even before this website breathed life and we were still toiling at the Village Voice.

It was a mystery that bedeviled our readers and, we can say now, bedeviled those assigned to watch this blog over at the Church of Scientology.

Who, we’ve been asked more times than we can count, WHO is OTVIIIisGrrr8!?

Well, we’ve invited him here today to help us finally reveal his identity.

Read Full Post: http://tonyortega.org/2013/11/01/scientology-surprise-an-interview-with-otviiiisgrrr8/

There's a community that's developed over at the Bunker which has dramatically expanded just over the past month.

I don't think that Tony would want to just pull the plug on it and dissolve it. :unsure:

Plus he's got an amazing archive of blog posts over there as well I'm sure he would want to keep online.

koki

Silver Meritorious Patron
it is a great place,but as someone mentioned before....there is a lots of people over there,who just enjoy mocking $cientology without any experience,they just like a Disq and can talk/write what ewer they want,they just talk about stupid things....irrelevant things,lots of old members are asking him to make a separate "chat room",like here.....it is hard over there to follow all posts.
it is not a same blog as it was a year or better 2 years ago...
but Iam glad that he has so much posters/hints per day.:thumbsup:
I like Tony,and me thinks he did find a best solution.

hpm1999

Patron with Honors
it is a great place,but as someone mentioned before....there is a lots of people over there,who just enjoy mocking $cientology without any experience,they just like a Disq and can talk/write what ewer they want,they just talk about stupid things....irrelevant things,lots of old members are asking him to make a separate "chat room",like here.....it is hard over there to follow all posts.
I do continue to feel ambivalence about Tony's move and the possibility of the Bunker being closed ESPECIALLY after the interview with the author of OT VIII is Great.. every day Tony moves the old rugger ball a bit forward down the field. One of the greats in the movement to SSFW (stop scientology from working!)

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Is that really a photo of 'OT8isGrrrt' ? He looks like - that photo looks like - Jack Nicholson - smiling his 'spoofin' ya' grin . . . . :unsure: So is this another satire of OT8isGrrrrrrrt?

??????????

It IS funny . . . :laugh:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Is that really a photo of 'OT8isGrrrt' ? He looks like - that photo looks like - Jack Nicholson - smiling his 'spoofin' ya' grin . . . . :unsure: So is this another satire of OT8isGrrrrrrrt?

??????????

It IS funny . . . :laugh:

That's too funny. Jeffrey Augustine aka J. Swift, aka Karen#1's hubby is OTVIIIisGrrr8

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron

I too prefer to read Tony's new stories in the bunker and keep my natter on ESMB!

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
Nah, Tony O is a man of integrity . . . he ain't gonna drop the crime on humanity and fraud posing as a church known as Scientology . . . :no:

He now has a bigger, better gun to shoot with.

He may not be shooting as often, and there may not be as much "chatter" as those who live for chatter would like . . . but Tony O has integrity to a mission and that is the exposure of the full insanity of the cultiness of the cult and the bringing about of its demise.

And I say: more power to Tony O!!!
Agreed! I am excited for Tony. His integrity and ability as a reporter does not make him a sell-out by taking the gig at Raw Story, but instead will bring stories about Scientology, and other “alternative” news to a bigger audience.

All the work he has done at the Underground Bunker will not go to waste. It has educated people about the crimes of the Co$, helped people on fence leave once and for all, and enable people to speak out about their own stories. IMHO - it will continue to do all this.

Tony has already left a BIG BIG legacy. I’m excited to see what he does next!

How is he going to have any time left for Scientology now that he's covering the teabagger cult at The Raw Story?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/

That site is overflowing with batshit crazy.

Relatively speaking the tea bagger cult make scientology look rational.

It's gonna be hard to go back to something as boring as Scientology when your day job is covering this freakshow

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm one of your so-called " extreme righties "... and I like Tony O.

I seriously doubt the zealots on either political side are "right" about much of anything, but, they could change places & not miss a breath.

What strikes me odd is painting an entire group - left or right - only by the antics of the zealots - sort of reminds me of something.......
that's why i joke that the entire country is using the "tek"
i also think breitbart and hastings were murdered.
i hope tony throws us a bone every now and then, his is the first page i go to everyday.
he says for now the bunker will stay around.
i wish he had someone good enough to share his responsibilities with.

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm just having fun mostly. I agree with your last two paragraphs. I did not paint all conservatives as being zealots. I went out of my way to say "extreme" for that reason.

BTW I used to be an extreme right winger....a zealot. I'm now what Rush calls a "spineless moderate". Lol.....

But what the fuck does he know?
moderate eh? is that what they call someone who thinks both sides suck? if so count me in!

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Agreed! I am excited for Tony. His integrity and ability as a reporter does not make him a sell-out by taking the gig at Raw Story, but instead will bring stories about Scientology, and other “alternative” news to a bigger audience.

All the work he has done at the Underground Bunker will not go to waste. It has educated people about the crimes of the Co$, helped people on fence leave once and for all, and enable people to speak out about their own stories. IMHO - it will continue to do all this.

Tony has already left a BIG BIG legacy. I’m excited to see what he does next!
and i often hear the raw story quoted from both sides of the fence, so it must be good.

AnonyMary

Not sure how accurate this description is from wiki but does not sound all like it's a "teabagger cult"

The Raw Story is an online news publication founded in 2004 by John Byrne. It covers current national and international political and economic news and publishes its own editorials and investigative pieces. The Raw Story describes itself as progressive, bringing attention to stories that it sees as downplayed or ignored by other media outlets. It is owned by Raw Story Media Inc. based in Washington, D.C., in the United States. [..]

Overview

The Raw Story has been reported and featured in The New York Times, The Guardian, LA Weekly, the New York Post, the Toronto Star, The Hill, Rolling Stone, The Advocate, Roll Call, Hustler,[1] and Mother Jones.[2]

Boasting an average 2.5 million readers per month (2013),[3] the site is described by Newsweek as, "Muck, raked: If you're looking for alleged GOP malfeasance, the folks at rawstory.com are frequently scooping the mainstream media."[4] It was referred to as a "liberal blog" by Howard Kurtz in 2005.[5]

On August 4, 2008 the Online News Association announced that RawStory.com was a finalist in the 2008 Online Journalism awards in the "Investigative, Small Site" category[6] for the story "The permanent Republican majority",[7] about improper partisan influence in the prosecution of former Governor Don Siegelman of Alabama.

The Raw Story's original reporting has also been referenced by MSNBC's Ed Schultz and Lawrence O'Donnell,[8] The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Real Time with Bill Maher and Countdown with Keith Olbermann. It was also referenced in 2011 by The Telegraph newspaper, as being the news website that first revealed a contract had been awarded to Ntrepid by United States Central Command as part of 'Operation Earnest Voice' intended to deploy operatives to create fake online personas abroad.[9]
[..]
Current masthead

Roxanne Cooper - Publisher

Tony Ortega - Executive Editor[10]

Eric W. Dolan - Managing Editor

David Edwards - Video Editor

David Ferguson - Editor

Arturo Garcia - Editor

Scott Eric Kaufman - Associate Editor

George Chidi - Associate Editor

Ben Nguyen - Web Developer

Raw Story Media, Inc.

Raw Story is wholly owned by Raw Story Media, Inc.

John Byrne - Founder, Chairman and CEO, partner
Michael Rogers - Vice Chairman and Managing Director, partner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raw_Story

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Not sure how accurate this description is from wiki but does not sound all like it's a "teabagger cult"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raw_Story
another one of those words.
i ain't fer or agin the tea party.
i haven't read through thier policies and goals, so i am not qualified to make a judgement
but you do realise that tea bagging is slang for something, something, testicals in someones mouth, etc.?

AnonyMary

another one of those words.
i ain't fer or agin the tea party.
i haven't read through thier policies and goals, so i am not qualified to make a judgement
but you do realise that tea bagging is slang for something, something, testicals in someones mouth, etc.?

Yes, I know that meaning :whistling: ( learned it while supervising my kids on video games :omg:) but I thought his comment was about their reporting on the Tea Party as if they slanted thir emphasis towards supporting the Tea Party..... my misunderstanding.. I didn't read anything at the site but the article on Tony coming aboard.

ChuckNorrisCutsMyLawn wrote:
Re: Tony Ortega to Become Executive Editor of Raw Story
How is he going to have any time left for Scientology now that he's covering the teabagger cult at The Raw Story?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/

That site is overflowing with batshit crazy.

Relatively speaking the tea bagger cult make scientology look rational.

It's gonna be hard to go back to something as boring as Scientology when your day job is covering this freakshow

But if it's a liberal slant, I don't see where the issue is about the "Teabagger cult" in the above comment.

:)

Mojo

Silver Meritorious Patron
I don't know. :unsure:

But Tony did post THIS earlier this morning:

There's a community that's developed over at the Bunker which has dramatically expanded just over the past month.

I don't think that Tony would want to just pull the plug on it and dissolve it. :unsure:

Plus he's got an amazing archive of blog posts over there as well I'm sure he would want to keep online.

I'm guessing J. Swift will be the new De facto senior editor of/at/in the Bunker. Which would be an excellent choice.

mojo