What's new

tony's latest post on Hubbard's lost tape

Tony's latest post goes into Ron and Mary Sue doing an auditing session that runs into BT's. http://tonyortega.org/2014/06/17/ra...ally-came-up-with-scientologys-space-cooties/

Towards the end of the post Tony writes:
What does this have to do with Scientology’s E-meter? Plenty. The E-Meter measures a tiny fluctuation in electrical current, and that current can be affected by several different factors.

If the machine was measuring something real — as Scientologists say it is actually reading their thoughts — then you would want to eliminate as many other variables as possible. But it never seems to occur to Scientologists that a truer measure of their skin galvanism would be through sensors attached directly to their skin. Instead, they hold “cans,” introducing the variable of grip.

Scientologists, ask yourself this question: Why, if you really believe that the E-meter is reading your life billions of years into the past by tapping directly into your thoughts, would you be required to hold the sensors in your hands, which introduces the variability of involuntary movement, the ideomotor effect that makes the Ouija board game produce fanciful results?
I posted the following on his blog:

You make a point about the variable of changing grip. Tony - have you ever had someone do some meter drills with you? The reads from changing grip are visually, completely unlike the reads that occur in response to questions. I am certain that there are some ex-scientologist auditors in the New York area that would spend a few hours with you and you could see the difference with your own eyes. There are drills that an auditor trains on the learn to distinguish the difference between the two. I would suggest you go to Just Bill's Ask the Scientologist web page - he has a couple really good articles on how the meter works.
There are many conundrums with meter reads - Hubbard says it reads just below the consciousness of a person, yet when you do a drill like hidden date ( a person writes down a date on a piece of paper) or uses his birthday, which are known by the coach ( the person holding the cans) and not the auditor, an adroit auditor can find those dates. I have done it many times. But what does it read on? Is it reading on belief? It is certainly not a physical reaction - the meter reads are too fast for a physical twitch. They are instantaneous. There is no way a person can move as fast as the needle can react, and in cases that involve a read that is repeated ( consider the events of the day drill) can a person squeeze the cans in the exact same way.
If I was on the east coast - I'd happily drop by and do some drills with you, but I'm not. I'm not promoting Scientology by the above, but there are many misconceptions about how the meter works and it always irks me when people make pronouncements about with out having used one and understand how they work.
One last point - there was tv commercial a few years back and they were questioning a person on a lie detector and showing the needles flickering as the person was being questioned, and you could clearly see the needle fall on an embarrassing question. There was no moving around - it had all of the sensors connected properly.
Mimsey

And there were these follow up posts:

George Layton > mimsey borogrove • 4 hours ago
So the reaction happens the instant the auditor begins to speak?

mimsey borogrove > George Layton • 4 hours ago
The read the auditor is after comes at the precise end of the statement or question. There are prior and later ones. example - lets say the auditor asks: Were you yelled at by your mother? X, father? Small Fall, Sister? tick, uncle? x, aunt - long fall. (X indicates a no reaction) The aunt would be the one to auditor took up first.

So you watch the meter during questioning or making statements and ignore everything else?
Mimsey - legitimate question. If they are that accurate, why don't you think such device is used outside of Scientology, for example in law enforcement or psychology?
mimsey borogrove > Elar Aitch • 4 hours ago
because it reads on belief to some extent - if you don't believe you did anything wrong, it may not read. And it can be fooled. The auditor is asking you about you having cooked the books at your job, and you are thinking about eating chocolate and how much you enjoy and love it, and there is no reaction on the meter, so you are pronounced free of guilt, but you are guilty as sin. Mimsey

The point I ran out of time to post, because I had to run off to work is this:

The whole concept of the meter reading on belief is the crux of the problem. In the tape, Hubbard is talking to an entity and it is reading on the meter. What is really happening? Hubbard is hearing a voice in his head, and he is asking - is it an entity, and the meter, like a yes man, gives a nice read. Hubbard thinks this is the gospel and he believes the read = there is an entity talking to me. Thus we are off on the wild goose chase known as Scientology.

This particularly applies to any process or auditing question that doesn't ask the PC for his own answer, such as the OT levels. Actually, if you think about it, it applies to any process whatsoever. If the PC believes his wife may be cheating on him and it reads on the meter and they audit him for hours on it - what has occurred? He has unburdened his considerations and feels better - it is the talking that made him feel better, not the meter. Not Scientology. It just found what he believed was there.

Mimsey