What's new

"Top" LRH books to read?

Babel Fish

Patron
So, I've read a few of the popular books about the history and inner workings of the cult, watched every leaked internal video I could find, watched every documentary I could find, listened to all of the surviving scientology podcast, and consumed about enough online material to start worrying my friends and family. I swung by a church and picked up all the free materials they had available, but I haven't actually read much written by LRH yet. Since it's my understanding that he wrote several books, I'm looking for a good place to start.

It seems like a lot of scientology literature (correct me if I'm off base) is split into two general categories. The practical "self help" type stuff, and the propaganda/paranoia/strategies for maintaining a cult category.

Most of my interest stems from being raised in a cult-shaped Baptist church, because a lot of the tactics employed and mindsets created by scientology are very remonicent of the attitudes and opinions I held and heard throughout my years in fundamentalist christianity, and it's fun to connect the dots and find similarities.

That being said, I'm mostly interested in the propaganda/tactics side of things. dianetics seems like the obvious book to start with, but I get the impression that's it's long, dry, and mostly relates to the self help end of things. I'm not sure it's worth taking the time to read when I think I already have a general understanding of the important concepts in it.

I was thinking Id start with "the cause of suppression", because I'm interested in the whole concept of SP's. Is this a decent one to start with? The sensationalized news lover in me wants more of the excessively dramatic feel that the internal videos have, but I'm really open to anything. I definitely want to make it to some OT materials too.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Hello,

Here are some OT3 materiasl form [STRIKE][/STRIKE]''source founder'' sauce flounder himselfo locate

I suggest you listen to it, as this is a great opportunity to have a free preview of you new OT3 powerz and spiritual heitght you will reach in doing it, which means you will , using a lie detector, to locate those pseudo-events and clean it.

Good Luck :blush:

[video]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ot3+wall+of+fire&&view=detail&mid=2E44ACBD4FBDC77FDE872E44ACBD4FBDC77FDE87&FORM=VRDGAR[/video]

:coolwink:

p.s. (In this lecture you can appreciate that LRH is the true reincarnation of lord Buddha - His spiritualy grandeur is so unprecedented, it's out of reality for normal people...)

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
So, I've read a few of the popular books about the history and inner workings of the cult, watched every leaked internal video I could find, watched every documentary I could find, listened to all of the surviving scientology podcast, and consumed about enough online material to start worrying my friends and family. I swung by a church and picked up all the free materials they had available, but I haven't actually read much written by LRH yet. Since it's my understanding that he wrote several books, I'm looking for a good place to start.

It seems like a lot of scientology literature (correct me if I'm off base) is split into two general categories. The practical "self help" type stuff, and the propaganda/paranoia/strategies for maintaining a cult category.

Most of my interest stems from being raised in a cult-shaped Baptist church, because a lot of the tactics employed and mindsets created by scientology are very remonicent of the attitudes and opinions I held and heard throughout my years in fundamentalist christianity, and it's fun to connect the dots and find similarities.

That being said, I'm mostly interested in the propaganda/tactics side of things. dianetics seems like the obvious book to start with, but I get the impression that's it's long, dry, and mostly relates to the self help end of things. I'm not sure it's worth taking the time to read when I think I already have a general understanding of the important concepts in it.

I was thinking Id start with "the cause of suppression", because I'm interested in the whole concept of SP's. Is this a decent one to start with? The sensationalized news lover in me wants more of the excessively dramatic feel that the internal videos have, but I'm really open to anything. I definitely want to make it to some OT materials too.

I could be mistaken of course, but I don't think what you are looking for can be found in books really. Stuff about 'SP's, supression and gory stuff like the RPF is to be found in Hubbard's Bulletins, Policy Letters, Executive Directives and the like. You are more likely to find stuff like that on the Internet, and this applies to stuff about the OT Materials too. My $0.02

Gib

Crusader

Well, if you wish to get down to brass tacks about Dianetics, since you have not read it, why the beginning of it all begin here, why you may wish to read the beginning of dianetics before it was even published, and between the promoter of dianetics and the author and a close friend, and the promoter became a auditor as well, why you can read about here, it will cost you a few bucks:

http://heinleinarchives.net/upload/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=893

PS. I do not work for the heinlein archive. LOL

Maybe I should demand a FSM commission. LOL

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
The important parts of scientology aren't in books. They're in HCOBs, HCOPLs, training courses, taped lectures and secret OT materials.

And you can't learn from a book what it's like to be the subject of crush regging or heavy ethics action.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The #1 wild-and-wacky book read is A History of Man.

If you interested in Scientology technology (ho ho), I recommend Clearbird's (free) rewrite of the lower-level procedures entitled The Road to Clear:
http://www.sgmt.at/ClearbirdE/Clearbird2004/. He's done an excellent job of extracting the pertinent stuff and presenting it in a time-free format of "current" procedures. One huge problem with studying Hubbard's original works is that unless you're a grizzled veteran you have no way of knowing if the 1963 bulletin you are currently reading is still valid* or not.

Words like "valid" in this context are used to mean true to Hubbard's writings and how they are used in practice in a Scientology organization, as opposed to meaning "true", "workable", "useful" etc.

-----

Cult strategy etc is much harder to source. A couple of works (PDFs) by Brian Ambry are worth reading, the first being much shorter:

http://www.freewebs.com/slyandtalledgy/Scientology Sly and Tall Edgy - Brian Ambry.pdf

http://www.freewebs.com/slyandtalledgy/Brainwashing Manual Parallels.pdf

Paul

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

--snipped--

There are two (2) routes to the OT materials:

1) Pay 500,000 dollars and dedicate 2-3 decades on Dr. Hubbard's Bridge to Total Freedom. There you will encounter all the OT materials and achieve the EP ("End Phenomena") of Scientology.

2) Instead, just Google Xenu and read the OT materials right here on your computer screen. The entire "red on white" Hubbard technical bulletins are online too. Rather than wading though ten million words, you should immediately skip to the book's last chapter where you will discover that the [STRIKE]butler[/STRIKE] BT did it.​

guanoloco

As-Wased
Everything you want is online in pdfs or mp3s for free.

The PTS/SP course has all the SP stuff you want and Introduction to Scientology Ethics. They're both in pdf forms somewhere on the net.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
In all honesty, I'd have to say skip everything he ever wrote & go to something that might have some worth, value, or use to you.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader

There are two (2) routes to the OT materials:
1) Pay 500,000 dollars and dedicate 2-3 decades on Dr. Hubbard's Bridge to Total Freedom. There you will encounter all the OT materials and achieve the EP ("End Phenomena") of Scientology.

2) Instead, just Google Xenu and read the OT materials right here on your computer screen. The entire "red on white" Hubbard technical bulletins are online too. Rather than wading though ten million words, you should immediately skip to the book's last chapter where you will discover that the [STRIKE]butler[/STRIKE] BT did it.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
LRH was an obsessive micromanager. But he had to maintain a legal arms length to avoid inurement and losing tax exempt status or getting hit with a tax bill. He was also hunted by the IRS and other governmental agencies so had to remain UTR. He ran missions or special projects constantly. This all entailed a steady stream of telexes and orders which collectively constitutes a massive body of hidden policy, much of which is directly contradictory to what he wrote or said for public issue. This material was confidential, eyes only, and not even available to Sea Org members unless they were read in.

Most of the material in this link was for broader distribution:

http://www.suppressiveperson.org/sp/documents/key-documents-sp-doctrine/scripture

Gib

Crusader
LRH was an obsessive micromanager. But he had to maintain a legal arms length to avoid inurement and losing tax exempt status or getting hit with a tax bill. He was also hunted by the IRS and other governmental agencies so had to remain UTR. He ran missions or special projects constantly. This all entailed a steady stream of telexes and orders which collectively constitutes a massive body of hidden policy, much of which is directly contradictory to what he wrote or said for public issue. This material was confidential, eyes only, and not even available to Sea Org members unless they were read in.

Most of the material in this link was for broader distribution:

http://www.suppressiveperson.org/sp/documents/key-documents-sp-doctrine/scripture

"LRH was an obsessive [STRIKE]micro[/STRIKE]robotmanager" :biggrin: