What's new

"Top" LRH books to read?

guanoloco

As-Wased
LRH was an obsessive micromanager. But he had to maintain a legal arms length to avoid inurement and losing tax exempt status or getting hit with a tax bill. He was also hunted by the IRS and other governmental agencies so had to remain UTR. He ran missions or special projects constantly. This all entailed a steady stream of telexes and orders which collectively constitutes a massive body of hidden policy, much of which is directly contradictory to what he wrote or said for public issue. This material was confidential, eyes only, and not even available to Sea Org members unless they were read in.

Most of the material in this link was for broader distribution:

http://www.suppressiveperson.org/sp/documents/key-documents-sp-doctrine/scripture

Are you saying there's a hidden comm line?

Seriously though I've noticed that all the micromanagers I've known considered themselves smarter than everyone in an arrogant way and had an unfavorable opinion about people in general. Perhaps this explains why they cannot let people make decisions?

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Are you saying there's a hidden comm line?

Seriously though I've noticed that all the micromanagers I've known considered themselves smarter than everyone in an arrogant way and had an unfavorable opinion about people in general. Perhaps this explains why they cannot let people make decisions?

I know you're being tongue-in-cheek but for all his tall talk about delegating authority and not bypassing people I think LRH's inability to delegate and his constantly bypassing everyone and everything helped to seriously undermine expansion. It used to make me crazy but now I'm very please to see that this duplicity has been perpetuated with such determination.

If we estimate all the back channel orders and correspondence generated between 1950 - 1986 it wouldn't surprise me if it exceeded the volume of all material available for public distribution. These kinds of orders or "R Advices" would be used to make GO Hatpacks on how to play spy, etc. They were taken every bit as seriously as regular policies and tech bulletins. Much of it was probably pretty mundane but I'd expect much of it could still be very influential to the few who have access to it. I'd expect there would be a lot of advices to DM or to projects under him as Action Chief in real time regarding building acquisition strategy and I can guess how some of those may have planted the seeds of what Scientology has evolved/devolved into.
_____
HIDDEN DATA LINE
From Scientopedia, the free encyclopedia of Dianetics and Scientology

some students have believed there was a “hidden data line” of tech in Scn, a line on which Scn tech was given out by me but not made known to students. This started me looking, for there is no such line. The whole of technology is released in HCO Bulletins and HCO Policy Letters and tapes I do and release. I don’t tell people anything in some private way, not even instructors. The apparency is somebody’s pretense to know from me more than is on the tapes and in books and mimeos, or, brutally, somebody’s alter-is of materials. This looks like a “hidden data line.” It surely isn’t. (HCO PL 16 Apr 65)

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I know you're being tongue-in-cheek but for all his tall talk about delegating authority and not bypassing people I think LRH's inability to delegate and his constantly bypassing everyone and everything helped to seriously undermine expansion. It used to make me crazy but now I'm very please to see that this duplicity has been perpetuated with such determination.

If we estimate all the back channel orders and correspondence generated between 1950 - 1986 it wouldn't surprise me if it exceeded the volume of all material available for public distribution. These kinds of orders or "R Advices" would be used to make GO Hatpacks on how to play spy, etc. They were taken every bit as seriously as regular policies and tech bulletins. Much of it was probably pretty mundane but I'd expect much of it could still be very influential to the few who have access to it. I'd expect there would be a lot of advices to DM or to projects under him as Action Chief in real time regarding building acquisition strategy and I can guess how some of those may have planted the seeds of what Scientology has evolved/devolved into.
_____
HIDDEN DATA LINE

some students have believed there was a “hidden data line” of tech in Scn, a line on which Scn tech was given out by me but not made known to students. This started me looking, for there is no such line. The whole of technology is released in HCO Bulletins and HCO Policy Letters and tapes I do and release. I don’t tell people anything in some private way, not even instructors. The apparency is somebody’s pretense to know from me more than is on the tapes and in books and mimeos, or, brutally, somebody’s alter-is of materials. This looks like a “hidden data line.” It surely isn’t. (HCO PL 16 Apr 65)

:duh:

Thanks. One of those obvious things but it never occurred to me. You are so right. I'd like to add that the Malicious Midget is ten times worse. I've read on ESMB every word that comes out of his pie-hole is recorded and put into books(?) packs(?) Can you imagine the sheer volume of misused/abused space all that drivel takes up.
:omg:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
So, I've read a few of the popular books about the history and inner workings of the cult, watched every leaked internal video I could find, watched every documentary I could find, listened to all of the surviving scientology podcast, and consumed about enough online material to start worrying my friends and family. I swung by a church and picked up all the free materials they had available, but I haven't actually read much written by LRH yet. Since it's my understanding that he wrote several books, I'm looking for a good place to start.

It seems like a lot of scientology literature (correct me if I'm off base) is split into two general categories. The practical "self help" type stuff, and the propaganda/paranoia/strategies for maintaining a cult category.

Most of my interest stems from being raised in a cult-shaped Baptist church, topicbecause a lot of the tactics employed and mindsets created by scientology are very remonicent of the attitudes and opinions I held and heard throughout my years in fundamentalist christianity, and it's fun to connect the dots and find similarities.

That being said, I'm mostly interested in the propaganda/tactics side of things. dianetics seems like the obvious book to start with, but I get the impression that's it's long, dry, and mostly relates to the self help end of things. I'm not sure it's worth taking the time to read when I think I already have a general understanding of the important concepts in it.

I was thinking Id start with "the cause of suppression", because I'm interested in the whole concept of SP's. Is this a decent one to start with? The sensationalized news lover in me wants more of the excessively dramatic feel that the internal videos have, but I'm really open to anything. I definitely want to make it to some OT materials too.

For SCN pseudo-psychological stuff I recommend "Dianetics: the Modern Science of Mental Health" & "Science of Survival".
For the SCN pseudo-spiritual stuff I recommend "Scientology: 8-8008". (This really amounts to the SCN version of polytheism.)

For the SCN stuff about SP/PTS you would need to get HCOBs on that topic
However (IIRC) "Introduction to Scientology Ethics" would be a good start on this topic
(BTW, it's also interesting that the history of the actions of LRH fits the description of a Suppressive Person. Isn't this ironic?)

Francois Tremblay

Patron with Honors
I wouldn't recommend reading any of those books. LRH's fictional fiction (as opposed to the provable bullshit of his "non-fiction" Scientology stuff) is more interesting, as long as he doesn't try to string a plot together, which is why Battlefield Earth and Mission: Earth are ridiculously bad and only his short stories are of any interest. I used to actually like Ole Doc Methuselah, until Mission: Spork pointed out how laughably misogynistic it was.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks. One of those obvious things but it never occurred to me. You are so right. I'd like to add that the Malicious Midget is ten times worse. I've read on ESMB every word that comes out of his pie-hole is recorded and put into books(?) packs(?) Can you imagine the sheer volume of misused/abused space all that drivel takes up.

You remind me of this story:

Germans piece together millions of lives spied on by Stasi

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/13/east-germany-stasi-files-zirndorf

///
In Zirndorf, near Nuremberg, Reichert and Kräker are part of a 10-strong team who are working full-time on an extraordinary project to piece together 15,500 sacks full of ripped-up bits of paper, each scrap a part of a file kept by the Stasi on its people and enemies. When it became clear that the iron curtain was being torn aside, the Stasi tried to destroy its files. Initially, they used a particularly fiendish kind of shredder that used steam to turn shreds into unreadable mush.
But when the shredders broke, the officers used their bare hands to rip up the files they had spent so many years painstakingly compiling.
Such is the scale of the material the Stasi left behind – 111km of paper stored spine to spine, as well as more than 1.4m photos, videos and audio recordings and an astonishing 39m index cards – that the authorities recently admitted they haven't even read half of the files themselves yet.
In Zirndorf the so-called "puzzlers" have managed to piece together the contents of just 500 sacks – around a million pieces of paper – since 1995.
///

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
The #1 wild-and-wacky book read is A History of Man.

/QUOTE]

Especially the chapter on 'Piltdown Man'
:faint:

"Have You Lived Before This Life", a close 2nd.

One thing I have to say about this book - most people tend to want to believe in some romanticized past life narrative like having been Cleopatra or Marcus Antonius but LRH gets people to want to believe in a horrible day-to-day twisted past life noir instead. I find that kind of refreshing.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
You remind me of this story:

Germans piece together millions of lives spied on by Stasi

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/13/east-germany-stasi-files-zirndorf

///
In Zirndorf, near Nuremberg, Reichert and Kräker are part of a 10-strong team who are working full-time on an extraordinary project to piece together 15,500 sacks full of ripped-up bits of paper, each scrap a part of a file kept by the Stasi on its people and enemies. When it became clear that the iron curtain was being torn aside, the Stasi tried to destroy its files. Initially, they used a particularly fiendish kind of shredder that used steam to turn shreds into unreadable mush.
But when the shredders broke, the officers used their bare hands to rip up the files they had spent so many years painstakingly compiling.
Such is the scale of the material the Stasi left behind – 111km of paper stored spine to spine, as well as more than 1.4m photos, videos and audio recordings and an astonishing 39m index cards – that the authorities recently admitted they haven't even read half of the files themselves yet.
In Zirndorf the so-called "puzzlers" have managed to piece together the contents of just 500 sacks – around a million pieces of paper – since 1995.
///

I've read about that before. Crazy. Mountains of info on people long dead and a sad era past. It's a pathological mental condition. $cientology may give the Stasi a run for the top spot though, lol. Who really knows how many folders/file cabinets/advices/HCO pl's/HCOB's/legal papers/declares/secret communications, etc. etc. the cult has?

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Have You Lived Before This Life", a close 2nd.

One thing I have to say about this book - most people tend to want to believe in some romanticized past life narrative like having been Cleopatra or Marcus Antonius but LRH gets people to want to believe in a horrible day-to-day twisted past life noir instead. I find that kind of refreshing.
I was a notable 2 and 3 lifetimes ago (a noble lady and an industrialist) but no one terribly important. 1 and 4 and 5 lifetimes ago, as well as in this lifetime, I was nobody special.

I suppose if you were somebody special, you'd tend to pick out the previous lifetime where you were that special someone and obsess on it.

Helena

Bost_Bobby

Patron with Honors
I was a notable 2 and 3 lifetimes ago (a noble lady and an industrialist) but no one terribly important. 1 and 4 and 5 lifetimes ago, as well as in this lifetime, I was nobody special.

I suppose if you were somebody special, you'd tend to pick out the previous lifetime where you were that special someone and obsess on it.

Helena

I was an average moron. The trend continues.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've read about that before. Crazy. Mountains of info on people long dead and a sad era past. It's a pathological mental condition. $cientology may give the Stasi a run for the top spot though, lol. Who really knows how many folders/file cabinets/advices/HCO pl's/HCOB's/legal papers/declares/secret communications, etc. etc. the cult has?

It wouldn't surprise me if everything from all locations were put in one place, including PC Folders, it might cover several football fields 6' high. I don't think they toss anything even after you die.

Let's see here, in a past life you were a Scientologist and I see that you still have a Freeloader Debt and some unfinished lower conditions...

guanoloco

As-Wased

_____
HIDDEN DATA LINE

I once read a story and I think it was authored by Chuck Beatty where the person had inadvertently allowed an org computer that had all of the LRH secret advices stuff to go to a private computer repair shop...meaning all of that secret data could've been compromised.

In reality, nobody would be interested but it was a good read.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

Helena

Sounds like a solid theory but how many reincarnated Cleopatras do we think might be alive at any given time?

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I once read a story and I think it was authored by Chuck Beatty where the person had inadvertently allowed an org computer that had all of the LRH secret advices stuff to go to a private computer repair shop...meaning all of that secret data could've been compromised.

In reality, nobody would be interested but it was a good read.

I can't speak to the story but somehow I doubt that they would put ALL of LRH's advices on a computer anywhere. Maybe some advices pertaining to an area or project. I even doubt they put them on titanium disks to be locked away in remote bunkers. These are too incriminating. They confirm his direct control of the organization when he said he didn't and they can prove his direction of things such as Snow White and Operation Freakout. It would be one thing if someone broke into Trementina and got ahold of History of Man on CD and another if they made of with all the LRH confidential advices. They worked very hard to get rid of all that stuff floating around after the 1977 FBI raid so I can't imagine they would then consolidate it all on a computer. My guess is that its squirreled away in file cabinets at INT and only DM has the keys but I suppose I could be wrong.

guanoloco

As-Wased
I can't speak to the story but somehow I doubt that they would put ALL of LRH's advices on a computer anywhere. Maybe some advices pertaining to an area or project. I even doubt they put them on titanium disks to be locked away in remote bunkers. These are too incriminating. They confirm his direct control of the organization when he said he didn't and they can prove his direction of things such as Snow White and Operation Freakout. It would be one thing if someone broke into Trementina and got ahold of History of Man on CD and another if they made of with all the LRH confidential advices. They worked very hard to get rid of all that stuff floating around after the 1977 FBI raid so I can't imagine they would then consolidate it all on a computer. My guess is that its squirreled away in file cabinets at INT and only DM has the keys but I suppose I could be wrong.

Now you did it...I had to go find this and you're correct...not all on one.

Here's the story. http://www.lermanet.com/chuck_beatty/ Lot's of juicy yap on LRH secret advices.

A side story - in 1994, when I was the ASI computer Operations Officer, I was asked to put COB ASI's advices on a pc, so that two ASI staff could work on the advices and proofread them, which is the procedure to ensure that the copies that are installed on the computer are good, and don't have typos etc. I put all the ASI COB advices on this pc, and the two ASI staff did the proofreading, and I copied the proofread advices back off the pc, (personal computer) and I forgot to delete the COB ASI advices off of the pc. Later, a couple months later, that pc I used for something else, like I swapped it out and gave it to another staff member. The pc broke down for some reason, and I then sent the pc out to get fixed, by a wog repairman. I didn't realize that the pc had the COB ASI advices still on the pc, when I sent it out. I freaked. Somehow I caught what I had done. But the pc was in "wog" hands for about 24 hours, and so the COB ASI advices could have been picked up, had the wog known what was there, and had he copied them.

The point is, that staff, make mistakes, like this. This one is pretty rare, but it can happen.

In otherwords raw LRH issues DO sometimes end up right smack dab in the wog world accidentally, due to staff screwups, (and I was at ASI when I made this mistake.) Needless to say, I was thoroughly sec checked on my goof, and I passed, because I was not trying to get the COB ASI advices into "enemy" hands.

Don't know if this data is useful or not.

Best, Chuck Beatty​

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Now you did it...I had to go find this and you're correct...not all on one.

Here's the story. http://www.lermanet.com/chuck_beatty/ Lot's of juicy yap on LRH secret advices.
A side story - in 1994, when I was the ASI computer Operations Officer, I was asked to put COB ASI's advices on a pc, so that two ASI staff could work on the advices and proofread them, which is the procedure to ensure that the copies that are installed on the computer are good, and don't have typos etc. I put all the ASI COB advices on this pc, and the two ASI staff did the proofreading, and I copied the proofread advices back off the pc, (personal computer) and I forgot to delete the COB ASI advices off of the pc. Later, a couple months later, that pc I used for something else, like I swapped it out and gave it to another staff member. The pc broke down for some reason, and I then sent the pc out to get fixed, by a wog repairman. I didn't realize that the pc had the COB ASI advices still on the pc, when I sent it out. I freaked. Somehow I caught what I had done. But the pc was in "wog" hands for about 24 hours, and so the COB ASI advices could have been picked up, had the wog known what was there, and had he copied them.

The point is, that staff, make mistakes, like this. This one is pretty rare, but it can happen.

In otherwords raw LRH issues DO sometimes end up right smack dab in the wog world accidentally, due to staff screwups, (and I was at ASI when I made this mistake.) Needless to say, I was thoroughly sec checked on my goof, and I passed, because I was not trying to get the COB ASI advices into "enemy" hands.

Don't know if this data is useful or not.

Best, Chuck Beatty​

That all sounds very believable, but still, like the Vatican - there will be many archives and levels of secrecy under previous and current management. I could see where COB would want his internal IAS advices tweaked for a somewhat general upper level distribution but will that include correspondences on things like managing the surveillance of his dad, etc? That stuff is in the Holy of Holies.

The Nazies liked to keep a lot of docs also but even the mob knows better than to be too organized.