What's new

TR 0 DEBUG

Vinaire

Sponsor
To the best of my memory, here is the procedure I followed in late seventies to debug TR Course students at Flag. The TRs Course Sup at that time was Chuck Murray.

(1) A student bogged on TRs would be sent to me (the word clearer).

(2) I would hear the student out as to what was going on with him on TRs (especially TR 0, because that is where most students were bogging), and acknowledge him/her properly.

(3) I would then first handle any words that the student had attention on.

(4) Then I would M9 the student on TR 0 drill quoted below.

NUMBER: TR 0 Revised 1961

NAME: Confronting Preclear.

COMMANDS: None.

POSITION: Student and coach sit facing each other a comfortable distance apart— about three feet.

PURPOSE: To train student to confront a preclear with auditing only or with nothing. The whole idea is to get the student able to hold a position three feet in front of a preclear, to BE there and not do anything else but BE there.

TRAINING STRESS: Have student and coach sit facing each other, neither making any conversation or effort to be interesting. Have them sit and look at each other and say and do nothing for some hours. Student must not speak, fidget, giggle or be embarrassed or anaten. It will be found the student tends to confront WITH a body part, rather than just confront, or to use a system of confronting rather than just BE there. The drill is misnamed if Confront means to DO something to the pc. The whole action is to accustom an auditor to BEING THERE three feet in front of a preclear without apologizing or moving or being startled or embarrassed or defending self. After a student has become able to just sit there for
two hours “bull baiting” can begin. Anything added to BEING THERE is sharply flunked by the coach. Twitches, blinks, sighs, fidgets, anything except just being there is promptly flunked, with the reason why.

Patter: Student coughs. Coach: “Flunk! you coughed. Start.” This is the whole of the coach’s patter as a coach.

Patter as a confronted subject: The coach may say anything or do anything except leave the chair. The student’s “buttons” can be found and tromped on hard. Any words not coaching words may receive no response from the student. If the student responds, the coach is instantly a coach (see patter above).

Supervisors should have coaches let student have some wins (coach does not mention these) and then, by gradient stress, get the coaches to start in on the student to invite flunks and then flunk them. This is “bull baiting”. The student flunks each time he or she reacts, no matter how minutely, to being baited.

This TR should be taught rough-rough-rough and not left until the student can do it. Training is considered satisfactory at this level only if the student can BE three feet in front of a person without flinching, concentrating or confronting with, regardless of what the confronted person says or does.

HISTORY: Developed by L. Ron Hubbard in Washington in March 1957 to train students to confront preclears in the absence of social tricks or conversation and to overcome obsessive compulsions to be “interesting”. Revised by L. Ron Hubbard April 1961 on finding that SOP Goals required for its success a much higher level of technical skill than earlier processes.

(5) If there were cognitions and VGIs I would end off the word clearing session and send the student to the examiner on his way back to the course.

(To be continued…)

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
What year was the great "TR0" fiasco 1973? 1974? Everyone, everywhere.
(Scientologists, that is!) were spending hour after hour, day after day
week after week...trying to get through 2 hours without blinking. (blinking
was the big "flunk") Not sure how many actually did it. I think I got up to just under two hours before someone somewhere decided that the insanity
had to stop. How (administratively) was this ended?

Vinaire

Sponsor
What year was the great "TR0" fiasco 1973? 1974? Everyone, everywhere.
(Scientologists, that is!) were spending hour after hour, day after day
week after week...trying to get through 2 hours without blinking. (blinking
was the big "flunk") Not sure how many actually did it. I think I got up to just under two hours before someone somewhere decided that the insanity
had to stop. How (administratively) was this ended?

It was 1972-73 on Flagship Apollo. I did pass 2-hour "blinkless TR 0" at that time.

Vinaire

Sponsor
(Continued from Post # 1)

However, it was rare that a straightforward M9 handled the bog, because the student had most likely done that before. So, now I would get into the debug mode. My stable data was as follows:

(a) The ideal scene on TR0 would be the student being as close to STATIC as possible. This would require the student knowing and understanding Scientology Axiom # 1 fully. LRH did say in THE PHOENIX LECTURES:

Well, true enough, these Axioms are self evident truths. But they are not so thoroughly self evident that they leap out of the page and introduce themselves to you. You have to introduce yourself to them.

The first of the Axioms is a bit of understanding which if you did not have and did not actually understand very well you would not be able to do anything with Scientology.

It’s just as blunt as that.

AXIOM ONE: LIFE IS BASICALLY A STATIC.

And what is this static?

Definition: a Life Static has no mass, no motion, no wavelength, no location in space or in time. It has the ability to postulate and to perceive.

To tell you the truth, clearing Scientology Axiom # 1 was quite an undertaking.

(To be continued…)

Last edited:

Vinaire

Sponsor
(Continued from Post # 4)

(b) Another stable data that I used was the following LRH reference from THE PHOENIX LECTURES. This datum parallels the “neti neti” datum from Hinduism. Anything that one perceives can be reduced down to a consideration, and, thus, could be recognized as not being part of SELF. All considerations are creations of SELF.

There is a level lying between considerations and A, R and C and this is Is-ness. It’s the consideration of Is- ness. Things are because you consider that they are and therefore something that is, is considered is. If you don’t consider that it is, it of course can be considered to be something else. But if you recognize that it is a consideration you only have to recognize that it is. And if you recognize that something is, then you have recognized merely that it is a consideration. As soon as you have recognized that something is, IS, YOU have reduced it to a consideration, and that’s that. One has affinity because he considers he has affinity. One has reality because he considers he has reality. One has agreement because he considers he has agreement. One has disagreement because he considers he has disagreement… - THE PHOENIX LECTURES, Chapter 5

(c) Next Stable datum that I used was the definition of ATTENTION as given in the Technical Dictionary. Using this one could become aware when one had departed from the ideal scene of TR0.

ATTENTION, 1. when interest becomes fixed, we have attention . (COHA, p. 99) 2. a motion which must remain at an optimum effort. Attention is aberrated by becoming unfixed and sweeping at random or becoming too fixed without sweeping. (Scn 0-8, p. 75)

From this definition it may be seen that optimum attention would be that which is entirely under one’s control. While on TR0, an attention which is “unfixed and sweeping at random” or “becoming too fixed without sweeping” would be a departure from the ideal scene of TR0. An example of this would be a person continually wondering how much time has passed, and much more to go.

When the attention is “aberrated” a person is not really doing TR0. He is doing something else, and the benefits of TR0 shall not be there to that degree, and his “time” on TR0 drill would be wasted..

If a person could simply become aware of such departures in terms of “aberrated” attention while on TR0, he would also become aware of the accompanying considerations. This awareness will help him regain control over his attention. He would than return to the ideal scene of TR 0 drill.

If a person is doing TR 0 very carefully trying not to move, then is he really doing TR0? No, he is not, because he is sitting there with fixed attention on “not moving.” So, what is he supposed to do if his butt his hurting? Well, if he cannot let go of the “fixed attention” in any other way then he should simply readjust his position on the chair and restart TR 0. He had stopped doing TR0 anyway when his attention became fixed on his butt.

(d) Next stable datum was from HCOB 2 June 1971 CONFRONTING as follows:

Thus “confronting” is actually the ability to be there comfortably and perceive.

Amazing reactions occur when conscious effort is made to do this. Dullness, perception trouble, fogginess, sleep and even pains, emotions and convulsions can occur when one knowingly sets out to BE THERE AND COMFORTABLY PERCEIVE with the various parts of a subject.

These reactions discharge and vanish as one perseveres (continues) and at last, sometimes soon, sometimes after a long while, one can be there and perceive the component. - HCOB 2 June 1971 CONFRONTING

Presence of pictures, mass, somatics etc. does not mean that one cannot maintain optimum attention. A person’s attention can be optimum while mind is presenting pictures masses, somatics etc. in continual succession. This would be the ideal scene when doing TR0. It is only when this ideal scene of TR0 is maintained that these pictures, masses, and somatics will blow.

Comments?

(To be continued…)

Vinaire

Sponsor
To debug a student on TR0, I first cleared him on the word ATTENTION as above.
Then I had him give real-life examples of

(a) An attention which is “becoming too fixed without sweeping”
(b) An attention which is “unfixed and sweeping at random”

This was done until the student had excellent grasp of how attention became aberrated. Then I had him look at how his attention was when he was doing TR0.

Then I had the student work out how attention could be kept in an optimum, unaberrated state on TR 0.

Then I used to word clear the student on the excerpt from HCOB 2 June 1971 CONFRONTING, given above,

This pretty much used to handle most any questions regarding somatics on TR 0.

It was rarely that I had to refer to Scientology Axiom # 1 and word clear it.

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron

This was done until the student had excellent grasp of how attention became aberrated. Then I had him look at how his attention was when he was doing TR0.

Then I had the student work out how attention could be kept in an optimum, unaberrated state on TR 0.

Then I used to word clear the student on the excerpt from HCOB 2 June 1971 CONFRONTING, given above,

ATTENTION, 1. when interest becomes fixed, we have attention . (COHA, p. 99) 2. a motion which must remain at an optimum effort. Attention is aberrated by becoming unfixed and sweeping at random or becoming too fixed without sweeping. (Scn 0-8, p. 75)

That is a very poor definition of what ATTENTION is.

Did you also get INTEREST defined?

Alan

Vinaire

Sponsor
That is a very poor definition of what ATTENTION is.

Maybe, but it was adequate for the purpose.

Did you also get INTEREST defined?

Of course, I referred to the following definitions from Tech dictionary, if this word came up.

INTEREST, 1. interest is more consideration than attention, and is therefore attention with intention. Interest, therefore, could be defined as this; attention with an intention to give or attract attention. (COHA, p. 103) 2. interest does not mean happiness and joy. Interest is only absorbed attention and a desire to talk about it. (HCOB 1 Jul 63)

I used regular dictionary too.

Vinaire

Sponsor

The following is what I shall recommend:

(1) When participating on ESMB, take an occasional break to do TR0 solo.

(2) If attention has become "too fixed without sweeping” then simply recognize it.

(3) If attention has become “unfixed and sweeping at random” then, again, simply recognize it.

(4) Continue with TR0 until you feel calm and comfortable.

(5) Conclude solo TR0.

(6) Resume your next activity.

The following reference may help.

THE BASICS OF MEDITATION

Vinaire

Sponsor
Here is addendum to the above recommendation:

(7) While on TR0, if there is a question, which continues to persist, then write it down, and continue with TR0.

(8) After you conclude the solo TR0 session, take up the questions you wrote.

(9) Find the subject/topic category, under which most questions fall.

(10) Make a key word list for that subject/topic.

(11) Clear up those words thoroughly, including any word chain that word may spawn.

(12) If something is not clearing up, query it on ESMB.

Vinaire

Sponsor
(13) Fully clear up Scientology Axiom # 1. The books Scn 8-8008 and The Phoenix Lectures will help. This is as deep as one can go in the subject of Scientology.

(14) Compare the understanding above to the deepest points in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism. etc. There is a lot of understanding to be gotten here.

Last edited:

MissDorfl

Patron with Honors
To the best of my memory, here is the procedure I followed in late seventies to debug TR Course students at Flag. The TRs Course Sup at that time was Chuck Murray.

(1) A student bogged on TRs would be sent to me (the word clearer).

(2) I would hear the student out as to what was going on with him on TRs (especially TR 0, because that is where most students were bogging), and acknowledge him/her properly.

(3) I would then first handle any words that the student had attention on.

(4) Then I would M9 the student on TR 0 drill quoted below.

(5) If there were cognitions and VGIs I would end off the word clearing session and send the student to the examiner on his way back to the course.

(To be continued…)

OK, being only a lowly wog: would someone, please, let me in on the joke? There's got to be a reason behind this "drill", no? :unsure:

Vinaire

Sponsor
OK, being only a lowly wog: would someone, please, let me in on the joke? There's got to be a reason behind this "drill", no? :unsure:

You spread your arms, flap them up and down, and loudly repeat

OWA TAGU SIAM

several times. Then you'll get it. :D

Vinaire

Sponsor
Vipassana Lesson 1

Here is my Lesson 1 for Vipassana meditation, after being refined by knowledge from Scientology.

In the language of India in the time of the Buddha, passana meant seeing with open eyes, in the ordinary way. The word Vipassana means, “Observing things as they really are, not just as they seem to be.”

VIPASSANA MEDITATION is this direct experience of one's own reality. It is one of India's most ancient techniques of meditation. It was taught in India more than 2500 years ago as a universal remedy for universal ills.

The first step in this technique is to learn to observe.

Here is a simple beginner’s exercise:

1. Sit in a comfortable position with the spine straight and upright.

2. Keep the body as motionless as possible.

3. Observe the room for at least 15 minutes.

4. Notice things about the room that you would not notice ordinarily.

5. Notice any reactions in your body.

6. Notice the state of your attention.

7. If you find anything non-optimum don’t do anything in response. Just continue to observe.

8. Be ready to share your observations with rest of the class at the end of the exercise.

9. Ask questions and get clarifications for whatever you did not understand about this exercise.

10. Repeat this drill for longer periods in the remainder of the class.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

It's not a joke. He was describing what a word-clearer does. (Although his "funny" response probably didn't help you much.)

After I did HPCSC I was sent back to do the word-clearer course at ASHO (which was ridiculous because all word-clearing "tech" was already covered on HPCSC and I was good at it.)

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
In stead of 'confonting' a room, why not the intire universe?

I did that back when I was in a sorry state having quit Cof$ and being in doubts as if I was an SP or what. I would lie on my back at night in the grass, confronting the stars and infinite space.

When I did that long enough it was like I could 'feel' the world turning. The starscape would seem to move. But when the phenomenon startled me I could see that they were still. Pretty wild.. And well nigh unconfrontable!

I got the impression that we got room enough! :D

mate

Patron Meritorious
Hi Vinaire.

Thank you for your write up of Vipassana meditation. I am following Goenkaji's program which is based on the Burmese Sayagyi U Ba Khin tradition with U Ba Khin's encouragement. It is claimed that as Burma had been an isolated community over the centuries, indeed the millennia, their technique of Vipassana is a faithful copy of that taught by the Buddha.

Here is a brief write up of the program:

It is a ten day program conducted in a monastery/convent-like environment, in noble silence. Each student is expected to complete the ten days, as the technique is developed over the full period. Men and women are completely separated. With appropriate breaks, a student meditates for ten and a half hours each day and in addition, there is an hour and a half discourse.

The initial three days is spend on Anapana, where the student focuses his attention on his breathing. This not pranayoga where the exercise is to control the breath. In anapana the student simply observes equanimously the sensation of his breath inside his nostrils and on the section of the face below the nostrils and above the upper lip. The first day is restricted to the nostrils themselves, the second day includes the region above the upper lip, and the third day includes all sensations in the nostrils and the region above the upper lip.

On the fourth day, the student is introduced to the Vipassana technique. The student commences by observing an area about one inch (2 centimeters) square on the top of his head noting its sensation. The sensation could be a pain, soreness, pressure, tightness, itchiness, pulsing, hot, cold, wetness, dryness, numbness, anything, any sensation. Every square centimeter, every square millimeter, has a sensation. The student then proceeds to scan the surface of the top of the head, then the back of the head, then the face, then the neck, then the shoulders, then the arms then the front of the body, then the back of the body, then the legs. No part of the surface of the body is missed.When the student gets to the tip of his toes, he starts again from the top of his head, and continues to cycle through the sequence.

On the fifth day the sequence is extended to include scanning up the body as well, from the tip of the toes to the top of the head. On the sixth day, the student learns to use the symmetry of the body, to speed the process up, by scanning both arms, both legs and so on simultaneously. On the seventh day, the student learns to spot free flows where a particular sensation starts running off previous reactions (sankharas) to the sensation.

On the ninth day, detailed instruction is given, as to how to recognize when the step of the scanning of the skin is finished, and then how to address the inside of the body. And finally, what follows that. On the tenth day, the student is taught a new technique called Metta meditation, which is used at the end of the day. Students are expected to attend at least one ten day program each year, to progress, and to meditate two hours at home each day to maintain what he has achieved.

A student doing the program for a second or subsequent time, follows the same program except for the second and third days, where the anapana is used to sharpen the student's awareness.

David.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Hi Vinaire.

Thank you for your write up of Vipassana meditation. I am following Goenkaji's program which is based on the Burmese Sayagyi U Ba Khin tradition with U Ba Khin's encouragement. It is claimed that as Burma had been an isolated community over the centuries, indeed the millennia, their technique of Vipassana is a faithful copy of that taught by the Buddha.

Here is a brief write up of the program:

It is a ten day program conducted in a monastery/convent-like environment, in noble silence. Each student is expected to complete the ten days, as the technique is developed over the full period. Men and women are completely separated. With appropriate breaks, a student meditates for ten and a half hours each day and in addition, there is an hour and a half discourse.

The initial three days is spend on Anapana, where the student focuses his attention on his breathing. This not pranayoga where the exercise is to control the breath. In anapana the student simply observes equanimously the sensation of his breath inside his nostrils and on the section of the face below the nostrils and above the upper lip. The first day is restricted to the nostrils themselves, the second day includes the region above the upper lip, and the third day includes all sensations in the nostrils and the region above the upper lip.

On the fourth day, the student is introduced to the Vipassana technique. The student commences by observing an area about one inch (2 centimeters) square on the top of his head noting its sensation. The sensation could be a pain, soreness, pressure, tightness, itchiness, pulsing, hot, cold, wetness, dryness, numbness, anything, any sensation. Every square centimeter, every square millimeter, has a sensation. The student then proceeds to scan the surface of the top of the head, then the back of the head, then the face, then the neck, then the shoulders, then the arms then the front of the body, then the back of the body, then the legs. No part of the surface of the body is missed.When the student gets to the tip of his toes, he starts again from the top of his head, and continues to cycle through the sequence.

On the fifth day the sequence is extended to include scanning up the body as well, from the tip of the toes to the top of the head. On the sixth day, the student learns to use the symmetry of the body, to speed the process up, by scanning both arms, both legs and so on simultaneously. On the seventh day, the student learns to spot free flows where a particular sensation starts running off previous reactions (sankharas) to the sensation.

On the ninth day, detailed instruction is given, as to how to recognize when the step of the scanning of the skin is finished, and then how to address the inside of the body. And finally, what follows that. On the tenth day, the student is taught a new technique called Metta meditation, which is used at the end of the day. Students are expected to attend at least one ten day program each year, to progress, and to meditate two hours at home each day to maintain what he has achieved.

A student doing the program for a second or subsequent time, follows the same program except for the second and third days, where the anapana is used to sharpen the student's awareness.

David.

I looked into this a few years ago and found that there is a Vipassana Center within an hour's drive from me - even out here in the cornfields.

I've often wondered if I could handle it.

Do they have access to porn and beer?

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
I looked into this a few years ago and found that there is a Vipassana Center within an hour's drive from me - even out here in the cornfields.

I've often wondered if I could handle it.

Do they have access to porn and beer?

Hey Alonzo, I don't know what you write but if you ever want to sent a sample over feel free. I'm not published but have a couple movies and a play and some other stuff if you're interested. I'd value your opinion.