Trigger phrases that STILL freak us out

amethyst

another word for dev-t --pitfa love it!

Here's another mind f-r word -
out-ruds.....like whatever happend to pissed off?

SuperPowers

Patron with Honors
South America

I recall a fellow scientologist many years ago told me that LRH brought a little enlightment into his life by explaining things about the world sit:

"There is less suppression in South America than in other parts of the world."

I found this to be an utterly strange thing to say as this was not my point of idea of the continent, but I swallowed though I had many internal considerations. I knew for instance that the favourite hideaway of Nazi officers was Argentina? Poverty, illiteracy ... ? What was he thinking ... Dunno? :confused2:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
ooh! How about "Get your Act 1 in!" (from AP&A, IIRR)

Never encountered it.

Oh how could I have forgotten Dramatize?

You aren't allowed to show any negative emotion (unless it is toward juniors) or you are dramatizing.

and...

8C

I'm sure more will come to me now that I am reminiscing

No problem with "dramatize" because it's used generically in the real world.

red line - like in you better make your red line or else......

outcomm

in ethics

PTS

to name a few - took me a year to learn real English again

"Red line" is also an editing term in typography (the mark up of edits so that they can be reviewed), along with the critical RPM of a car engine (the speed at which it will self-destruct).

Being a computer "nerd" most of the "comm" terms are not a problem for me--to the point that I think LRH nicked most of them from an IBM computer manual.

Although it took me a long time to get rid of the indoctrinated "fine" as an over-drilled acknowledgement.

I recall a fellow scientologist many years ago told me that LRH brought a little enlightment into his life by explaining things about the world sit:

I found this to be an utterly strange thing to say as this was not my point of idea of the continent, but I swallowed though I had many internal considerations. I knew for instance that the favourite hideaway of Nazi officers was Argentina? Poverty, illiteracy ... ? What was he thinking ... Dunno? :confused2:

Oddly enough, "sit" really pisses me off. There were some hideous abbreviations that permeated all the written materials.

Gus

Patron with Honors
How about... FLUNK! ...whenever something wasn't quite up to the expectations of the beholder. Annoying as hell. Gus

AmIFree

Patron
Some of my loathed words and phrases...

wog job
moonlighting
out exchange
out 2D
validate
You're not DUPLICATING what I say!
you have a misunderstood (such rotten grammer!)
help button
button

and my all time low:

Ron says or Ron said! Frankly I don't give a hoot WHAT Ron said or says (even when I was in!). It's what I think that matters to me not HIM!.

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Oh my, yes! My husband STILL gives me the old "You know what Ron says"...of course, he does have a twinkle in his eye when he says it, but it can still be rather annoying, even so.

doublevee

Patron
Whenever people say "Knock it off!" I flinch. Unfortunately it's a somewhat common term amongst the non-Scn in my life. I even catch myself saying it sometimes. :banghead:

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
This isnt really a trigger phrase, more of a trigger situation...

Recently I handed in my resignation at my current job. Basically Im tired of the FIFO lifestyle and would like to be home more, join a sports team, actually spend time with my partner. Theres a bit more to it but thats the gist. Ive been working overseas or FIFO for over 4 years now, it begins to wear a little thin. Id like the lazy Sunday mornings wandering through markets to be more frequent than currently.

When I was home on break, I contacted an industry "recruiter" (shudder, anyone?) who had emailed me about vacant positions previously. Another one somehow got wind of it, and the two of them began calling me at least 5 times a day for the next 5 days, harassing me for interviews and trying to pressure me into accepting positions literally 5 minutes after the interview (and again at 8am the next morning). I managed to hold them off but it was tough work, and really got me agitated. They were PUSHY and RUDE. Currently there is a big shortage of people with my level of experience in the industry, but I had no idea recruiters would become like such vultures.

Sound familiar??

I ended up accepting an offer, and then had the next couple of days fending off the phone calls: "what can we do to change your mind? These people will offer more. Who cares if you signed, switch over to us" etc etc. Once again, politely held them off, but it really got me wound up. I felt like I was being mean to say no, but also would feel incredibly bad changing my mind once Id said yes to one company. Horrid feelings all round.

I got back up to work here and handed in my resignation. Boy george, has the poop hit the fan. I have had 3 meetings today alone - all of them saying "YOU CANT LEAVE. What can we do to make you stay? We can change rosters, we can change money, we can change departments" etc and they arent taking no for an answer. Apparently the CEO himself has cracked the sads and there have been tantrums in the office in the city.

Ive ended up, this arvo, sitting at my desk feeling like the biggest scumbag in the world. I feel bad for the people who I had to say no to through the recruiters, I feel bad for my boss here, I feel bad for my partner who will be so disappointed if I stay up here. I feel like Im letting everyone down and being selfish no matter WHAT I do.

Sound familiar??

It is very hard for me to take GUILT out of these sorts of situations. I feel responsible for everyone elses position, and what they will have to do if I dont help them specifically. I know I can be easily emotionally blackmailed - the Church did it to me all the time, and apparently I STILL find it hard to stick to my guns and do what is right for me - instead of what everyone else insists they need me to do.

Its a horrid, awful, I-wanna-cry feeling. I dont like being in this position. At least this time its simply a case of being in demand (and I am thankful for that!!) it still has too many "earier similars" for me to really think clearly enough. I feel BAD.

Ahem, that was a bit of a novel...

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hi, Cantsay- that sounds VERY familiar! Is it a non Scn company that's acting this way? Man, it sounds cultic!

I had something like that come up with my previous employer- also not a Scn company or affiliated with them in any way. I was not too thrilled at my current situation and I phoned a friend who works at another firm. Well, the people at my previous job don't like that friend. She used to work for them and had done a good job but politics are politics. So even though I was the one who called her and met with her on our own time, Sunday a.m. breakfast to be precise, those idiots where I used to work phoned one of the partners of the other company where my friend was working and bitched about her recruiting people. Basically, an interference in my personal life since I was the one exploring my own options and had initiated things when I called my friend. My friend was only trying to help me. And the chickenshits didn't even tell me what they did- like I'd not find out. 9 months later I kicked them to the curb. But thing is, it's a matter of one's employer acting like it's the frigging military or the Church of Scn or something and trying to take away one's options. Disgusting.

And while I'm at it, I will say that I think Hubbard patterned a lot of this stuff on the military. Staff contracts- even apart from the SO though the SO is definitely modeled on the Navy. Well, you know what- churches have no business treating people like contracted military. In fact, even the US military has a better track record dealing with its soldiers and sailors than CofS does with their staff.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill

That is incredibly bizarre, yes. Wonder what he'd think of Chavez.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Whenever people say "Knock it off!" I flinch. Unfortunately it's a somewhat common term amongst the non-Scn in my life. I even catch myself saying it sometimes. :banghead:

Oh god, my husband used to say it to me a LOT. Still does it sometimes. It's very annoying. I think the annoyance factor comes into play due to this being a way one would treat a child, not an adult.

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
Hi, Cantsay- that sounds VERY familiar! Is it a non Scn company that's acting this way? Man, it sounds cultic!

I had something like that come up with my previous employer- also not a Scn company or affiliated with them in any way. I was not too thrilled at my current situation and I phoned a friend who works at another firm. Well, the people at my previous job don't like that friend. She used to work for them and had done a good job but politics are politics. So even though I was the one who called her and met with her on our own time, Sunday a.m. breakfast to be precise, those idiots where I used to work phoned one of the partners of the other company where my friend was working and bitched about her recruiting people. Basically, an interference in my personal life since I was the one exploring my own options and had initiated things when I called my friend. My friend was only trying to help me. And the chickenshits didn't even tell me what they did- like I'd not find out. 9 months later I kicked them to the curb. But thing is, it's a matter of one's employer acting like it's the frigging military or the Church of Scn or something and trying to take away one's options. Disgusting.

And while I'm at it, I will say that I think Hubbard patterned a lot of this stuff on the military. Staff contracts- even apart from the SO though the SO is definitely modeled on the Navy. Well, you know what- churches have no business treating people like contracted military. In fact, even the US military has a better track record dealing with its soldiers and sailors than CofS does with their staff.

They arent Scnists (if they were Id run a mile), and I think if I hadnt been in Scientology I probably would think it was hilarious and take it all as a compliment! However instead I find it all too uncomfortable and I really resist being pushed into things now.

I sat down with the big boss on site this morning and told him that I was definitely leaving and I couldnt stay (if circumstances were different I would - its a lovely place) and he looked at me and said "I understand, life is more important than a company, as it should be" what a wonderful guy :yes:

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Lollygagging

lollygagging_married.gif

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
basic English language...

I was thinking about this again the other day, and I'm pretty cool with most Scio terms, as I only hear/read them here for the most part. What drives me crazy/triggers are English words. Anything from a tech training lists or a damn film......AAARGH!

I hear "Doing OK?" and I immediately go "Doing fine" and want to impale myself on a stick. !$#@ Even when I did a stint waiting tables while on the TTC, I'd find myself going "Doing OK?" and replying "doing fine" in my head as I walked away....insidious crud.

My son or I will say "I'm starving!"....and I immediately we'll snarkily reply "Let's go to lunch!"....because any time anybody else says that, it trips the old tape in our heads.

and even the word "spooky" from the Tone 40 film or certain colors omg...assessment lists. I finally no longer rattle off the fruits that follow in the assessment list drills when I see that fruit in the produce section...but, it took me a WHILE!

The one that drives me nuts is latent. Because it pissed me off when I was in. There was NO reason for a latent read to be called a latent read. Clearing that and "dynamic" as in the "dynamic principle" to survive....I spent so many damned hours trying to figure out why the !$# he would use those terms in those contexts....

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
Those lists!!!! The ones you use on the metering course!!!! Oh my god I can STILL rattle off half those damn things.
Which fruit do you like the best? (with the required raise in pitch at the end)
Do you like oranGES?
Do you like apPLES?
Do you like pEARS?
Do you like persimMONS? With the stress on the last syllable because the bank wont react otherwise... geez...

I wish I could have made my own list for those drills:
Which do you dislike the most?
Do you lislike all-HANDS?
Do you dislike missIONS?
Do you dislike reGES?
Do you dislike IAS evENTS?
Do you dislike CSWs?
Do you dislike face-rippINGS?
Do you dislike teleXES?
Do you dislike RTC progrAMS?

I bet I could have got some ripper reads on those.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I always hated the meter drills. God. But yeah, they could do ONE FUCK of a repair list on CofS. Particularly as relates to having been on staff.

Oh, and reg and recruitment "cycles", too!!!!

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
They arent Scnists (if they were Id run a mile), and I think if I hadnt been in Scientology I probably would think it was hilarious and take it all as a compliment! However instead I find it all too uncomfortable and I really resist being pushed into things now.

I sat down with the big boss on site this morning and told him that I was definitely leaving and I couldnt stay (if circumstances were different I would - its a lovely place) and he looked at me and said "I understand, life is more important than a company, as it should be" what a wonderful guy :yes:

Glad it's not a Scn co. I had a friend who used to work for Scn'ists in a regular co they owned, you know, not staff at Cof$, and she said they were HORRIBLE.