What's new

Trollitude or the condition of being a troll

rosros

Patron
Trolls as a category share a number of features. After the main defining one, the malicious intents of causing disruption and argument in the group, there are other things to learn that may be helpful for defense.

People can have fits of "trollitude", or behave occasionally as a troll.

While our trolls (and especially OSA trolls) have specific patterns they also share some with other types of trolls. See link

Something like:

"Free and open discussions between the experienced exes and the new exes and [possibly] the would be exes is our goal, along with sharing current items of common interest.

That is the goal of all those who would be advocates of freedom from mind control as well as all others who come to discuss it. All of us, have come to the group as a way of finally uncovering the truth. OSA trolls and common trolls have come to disrupt and prevent the group from being an asset to the community in the recovery from the cult.

It can be difficult to determine what type of person a particular disruptive personality is; an OSA troll or just a common troll. Their motivation is different but their goals and tactics are the same. Common trolls are motivated by pure malice. They enjoy wasting people's time and causing emotional distress.

OSA trolls are driven by malice too but are also mental slaves of the cult.

What it not difficult to determine is what their purpose is when they post. To get what they want, they have to make themselves obvious. They disrupt the newsgroup and sidetrack its purpose of existence. Regardless of their reasons, they try to prevent the free exchange of knowledge and support based on experience that would happen without their interference. While common trolls come and go, the professionals are only satisfied when the community has become a vehicle for their own propaganda or is destroyed."

An interesting link from the article above is this. A well-known company explicitly refers to mind control as a tactic.

"Mind Control
* To control mental output you to have to control mental input
* Take control of the channels by which developers receive information
* Then they can only think about the things you tell them
* Thus, you control mindshare"

Last edited:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
It's posts like the op that lead to witchhunts on fora like this one. I've seen a lot of posts opining that this or that person is OSA and/or a troll just because of teh mix of personalities and conversational styles.

Kind of irresponsible, IMO.

New Guy

Patron with Honors
After reading the op,giving the post some thought and speaking to colleges.
I have come to the conclusion that the op is a rageing faggot.

rosros

Patron
It's posts like the op that lead to witchhunts on fora like this one.
People in other fora I esteem (see links), think otherwise.

I've seen a lot of posts opining that this or that person is OSA and/or a troll just because of teh mix of personalities and conversational styles.
No one is accused of being a troll in my message. Moreover, it is explicitly stated that occasional trollitude does not make one a troll.

At least one of you premises is false or incomplete, IMO.

rosros

Patron
After reading the op,giving the post some thought and speaking to colleges.
Your premise offers no kind of explanation or substantiation.

I have come to the conclusion that the op is a ******* ****.
See above-mentioned link:
"3. Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective, particularly when used against your more dignified opponents. Your experience as a school yard bully can be handy here."

Moreover the use of personal insults is a breach of forum rules and has been reported to the moderators.

P.S.: As per forum rules, this is my last message to you.

Last edited:

New Guy

Patron with Honors
Your premise offers no kind of explanation or substantiation.

See above-mentioned link:
"3. Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective, particularly when used against your more dignified opponents. Your experience as a school yard bully can be handy here."

Moreover the use of personal insults is a breach of forum rules and has been reported to the moderators.
You must be the life and soul of any party.
But your conjucture on trolling is incorrect.
And your suppostion that I was school yard bully,though wrong made my smile.
I like to troll pompous,arrogant faggots like you.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
People in other fora I esteem (see links), think otherwise.

No one is accused of being a troll in my message. Moreover, it is explicitly stated that occasional trollitude does not make one a troll.

At least one of you premises is false or incomplete, IMO.

So what. For that matter, there are people HERE who would agree with you. Your post is just one of several where someone would start a "they're trolling" thing. I am speaking from observation as to what happens when people start labelling the posts of others as "trolls" or "trolling". I'm saying that commentary such as the opening post here tends to foster such witch hunts and that I've seen that.

rosros

Patron
Reasoning based on false or incomplete premises has no value.

For that matter, there are people HERE who would agree with you. Your post is just one of several where someone would start a "they're trolling" thing. I am speaking from observation as to what happens when people start labelling the posts of others as "trolls" or "trolling".
I have not labeled anyone as a troll in my message.

I'm saying that commentary such as the opening post here tends to foster such witch hunts and that I've seen that.
This is a "post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy. "Since that event followed this one, that event must have been caused by this one." See wikipedia.

Last edited:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I've seen what can happen. The fact that your opening post doesn't name anyone doesn't prevent this phenomenon from happening.

I'd not be posting this had I not seen it many times.

Ok, I'm done talking with you about this.

AlphOhm

Traveler of time/space
Another possible troll is to point out how bad trolling is and divert people off to looking for other trolls...

2wolves

Patron
Are You SURE you want to hunt trolls around HERE??:dieslaughing:
:drama::drama::drama::drama::drama::drama::drama::

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"
Chief Joseph

rosros

Patron
Some subgroups may find that public knowledge of their motives, tactics and means is disruptive for the achievement of their goals; therefore, they will go to great length to make the members of the group think (falsely) that such knowledge is detrimental to the whole group instead.

When I wrote "helpful for defense", my intention was not that of starting a witch-hunt. I think that a better use of such knowledge (NOT my message but the full content of the linked pages) is to make people aware of common tactics; everyone can then use it as he/she thinks fit. More severe actions should be left to the moderators (for breaches of the forum rules, or for improving the rules if needed).

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Trolls as a category share a number of features. After the main defining one, the malicious intents of causing disruption and argument in the group, there are other things to learn that may be helpful for defense.

While our trolls (and especially OSA trolls) have specific patterns they also share some with other types of trolls. See link

Something like:

"Free and open discussions between the experienced exes and the new exes and [possibly] the would be exes is our goal, along with sharing current items of common interest.

That is the goal of all those who would be advocates of freedom from mind control as well as all others who come to discuss it. All of us, have come to the group as a way of finally uncovering the truth. OSA trolls and common trolls have come to disrupt and prevent the group from being an asset to the community in the recovery from the cult.

It can be difficult to determine what type of person a particular disruptive personality is; an OSA troll or just a common troll. Their motivation is different but their goals and tactics are the same. Common trolls are motivated by pure malice. They enjoy wasting people's time and causing emotional distress.

What it not difficult to determine is what their purpose is when they post. To get what they want, they have to make themselves obvious. They disrupt the newsgroup and sidetrack its purpose of existence. Regardless of their reasons, they try to prevent the free exchange of knowledge and support based on experience that would happen without their interference. While common trolls come and go, the professionals are only satisfied when the community has become a vehicle for their own propaganda or is destroyed."

An interesting link from the article above is this. A well-known company explicitly refers to mind control as a tactic.

"Mind Control

I see these kinds of trolls over at WWP all the time but rarely here... At ESMB the few I have seen get caught pretty quickly and booted.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

Something like:

"Mind Control

You forgot the lols.

2wolves

Patron
Hi Nexus:D
It's one of my favorites along with occams razor (not sure on the spelling)
The simple explanation is usually closer to the truth.
:D:duh::D:duh::D

"What's true for you is true for you"
Go look and then decide for yourself...I did:coolwink: