What's new

Truth Matters

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

Truth Matters

Senator Jeff Flake (R – Arizona) made a speech a few days ago on the Senate floor. Though a Republican, he excoriated President Trump over attacks on the media and his catchphrases “Fake News” and “enemy of the people.” I was brought up to believe the media are “Merchants of Chaos” and should be “kicked[.......]

Continue reading...

WhatWall

Silver Meritorious Patron
Trump makes distasteful, rude and apparently callous remarks.

However ...
The Press Is Not Above Reproach
At the risk of sending the left into a state of apoplexy, a monolithic, biased, renegade, politicized press is a far greater threat to liberty than a president criticizing the media.

Like their First Amendment counterparts — the freedom of religion, the freedom of assembly and the right to petition the government — the freedoms of speech and the press are an important part of what has made the United States the freest and greatest nation in world history. It is fitting, then, that we elevate them to such venerated status in this country.

But it's important that we distinguish these constitutionally guaranteed liberties from the press itself, which theoretically serves as a watchdog against governmental excesses and abuses. There's no question that a free press acting in that capacity can function as a vital check on government.

We must remember, however, that the institution of the press is not itself sacrosanct like the liberties that undergird it. It is made up of individuals and entities subject to the flaws that inhere in all human beings.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Mike, Mike, Mike . . . this headline, Truth Matters, that's rich.

Though I appreciate your efforts in developing the A&E cable show and your refusal to accept
the $5-10 million in hush money from Monique Yingling (unlike Marty), your 20-to-30 year
history of being the cult's main propagandist, storyteller, and burial director of the facts for
DM and the COS precludes you from standing on much of a soap box and pontificating to us
about truth.

You have a ways to go to legitimize your posturing. I'm not buyin' it yet for some reason.
Need some more convincing.
Maybe in time. :shrug:
~~~~~
  • LRH's final years and descent into a poor mental state,
  • his chronic health problems lasting decades,
  • LRH non-attainment of OT,
  • the "dropping the body" fantasy story,
  • the missing upper OT levels and OT8 which Mithoff had
    to invent from scratch,
  • the list goes on and on
1990.jpg

WhatWall

. . .
Mike, Mike, Mike . . . this headline, Truth Matters, that's rich.

Though I appreciate your efforts in developing the A&E cable show and your refusal to accept
the $5-10 million in hush money from Monique Yingling (unlike Marty), your 20-to-30 year
history of being the cult's main propagandist, storyteller, and burial director of the facts for
DM and the COS precludes you from standing on much of a soap box and pontificating to us
about truth.

<snip>
Mike has been good at maintaining an apolitical stance, but suggesting that Jeff Flake is an expositor of truth is a bit problematic in that regard. Flake's speech was very well received by high-ranking members of the Republican Establishment, like Senator McCain. The MSM loved it. The Dems loved it.

I wonder why a consistent and proven Libertarian like Rand Paul hasn't evoked the same treatment from Trump as Flake received. Flake effectively resigned rather than participate in what promised to be a very competitive primary race. Unlike Flake, Rand has never backed down from a political fight. I suspect that someone had the goods on Flake.

To veer back on topic, I do appreciate Mike Rinder's efforts to expose Scientology's abuses and the real journalism exhibited on his blog. You make a valid point though.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Mike has been good at maintaining an apolitical stance, but suggesting that Jeff Flake is an expositor of truth is a bit problematic in that regard. Flake's speech was very well received by high-ranking members of the Republican Establishment, like Senator McCain. The MSM loved it. The Dems loved it.

I wonder why a consistent and proven Libertarian like Rand Paul hasn't evoked the same treatment from Trump as Flake received. Flake effectively resigned rather than participate in what promised to be a very competitive primary race. Unlike Flake, Rand has never backed down from a political fight. I suspect that someone had the goods on Flake.

To veer back on topic, I do appreciate Mike Rinder's efforts to expose Scientology's abuses and the real journalism exhibited on his blog. You make a valid point though.

No.

She doesn't make a valid point.

Mike Rinder and anyone else who leaves Co$ is under no obligation to anyone to speak publicly about anything.

WhatWall

No.

She doesn't make a valid point.

Mike Rinder and anyone else who leaves Co$ is under no obligation to anyone to speak publicly about anything.
And neither is any ex-scientologist under any obligation to fully trust him or any other former OSA staff. Each of us has the luxury of deciding who to believe, trust and/or endorse, and on what terms.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thinking about the Freedom of the Press: There are countries where the press is tightly controlled. That is not the US. The press can, and does, publish pretty much whatever they want (with due regard to libel laws). They have not been, and are not, restricted in any way. Anyone who claims that the 1st Amendment has been violated isn't paying attention. No one is being stopped from publishing anything. Why the claims otherwise?

The claims come from the bizarre idea that "Freedom of the Press" means the press can't be criticized. Wait, what? The 1st Amendment guaranteeing Freedom of Speech is nullified by the 1st Amendment guaranteeing Freedom of the Press. Could someone please explain to me how that works?

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thinking about the Freedom of the Press: There are countries where the press is tightly controlled. That is not the US. The press can, and does, publish pretty much whatever they want (with due regard to libel laws). They have not been, and are not, restricted in any way. Anyone who claims that the 1st Amendment has been violated isn't paying attention. No one is being stopped from publishing anything. Why the claims otherwise?

The claims come from the bizarre idea that "Freedom of the Press" means the press can't be criticized. Wait, what? The 1st Amendment guaranteeing Freedom of Speech is nullified by the 1st Amendment guaranteeing Freedom of the Press. Could someone please explain to me how that works?

"Freedom of the press belongs to the man who owns one"

And with the computer revolution anyone with a library card can own one.

However this does not mean mainstream media isn't well controlled.

Case in point:

Laura DeCrescenza. Articles "exposing" Scientology have been a growth industry in recent years but how much have you read about Laura's case? This is one of the most pejorative charges against Co$ which has ever gone to court much less to press. But it plays strongly into the pro-life position and cuts deep into "pro-choice". If the "pro-choice" people were honestly pro-choice they would they would emphatically and noisily favor Laura